Emily's "Ole' Kentucky Home"

Name:

Emily

Covington, Kentucky

Division:

Small

Square Feet:

What I Love About My Home

I love the underdog story of my home - it was old (built in 1914) and run down. No one touched it until 2007. A great pair of house flippers found it and made it what it is today. It has been a great pleasure turning this place into my home. And there's no better neighborhood in the Midwest than Covington, Kentucky. I fondly refer to my place as My Ole' Kentucky Home.

Biggest Challenge in Furnishing My Home

Because it's older, the floor plan is relatively anti-open. It was a challenge to keep the design ideas fresh in each room yet still flow with the rest of the house. And overall, I get frustrated with color. I love black and white (can you tell?) and have just recently started to incorporate color into the rooms.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (38)

No question about it- you've got my vote too!!

posted by pheebs79 on April 21, 2011 at 11:36am
view pheebs79's profile

If I wasn't competing against you, I would vote for this! So much I like about it, especially the chairs in the chalkboard room and the deer head above the toilet..

posted by Otilly on April 21, 2011 at 9:25am
view Otilly's profile

My heart is a flutter!!!! My oh my, you have raised the bar on chalkboard art. Fantastic. Clean well planned nice mix of patterns. Good luck in the contest!

posted by her_royal_gr8ness on April 21, 2011 at 10:12am
view her_royal_gr8ness's profile

I love the coffee table and the tree wallpaper or whatever it is.

posted by teapotrose on April 21, 2011 at 10:23am
view teapotrose's profile

Chalkboard wall...VERY CREATIVE~!! I truly dig the seating in that room as well. Love the kitchen wall paper too!

posted by The Vintage Spoon on April 21, 2011 at 11:03am
view The Vintage Spoon's profile

the chairs in the black room are gorgeous.

posted by Pamela L on April 21, 2011 at 12:09pm
view Pamela L's profile

The wallpaper of the trees and birds are in the kitchen? LOVE the whole home. From your white room to your black room to your bedroom. Absolutely lovely!

posted by Tracy333 on April 21, 2011 at 12:20pm
view Tracy333's profile

Gorgeous! I'm curious to see the outside of the house.

posted by andrea_xtina on April 21, 2011 at 12:35pm
view andrea_xtina's profile

Love the chalkboard wall!

posted by dreamzme on April 21, 2011 at 1:27pm
view dreamzme's profile

Wow, thanks everyone! I'm super stoked. To give credit where credit is due, the "art" on the chalkboard wall was done with an overhead projector using one of my favorite Seb Lester prints called "Dreams." More info on the print here.

posted by emily @ go haus go on April 21, 2011 at 1:48pm
view emily @ go haus go's profile

This is one of my favorites. I love the lack of clutter, the furniture artfully arranged, the quiet luxury. I could move in tomorrow. I use the IKEA sheepskin mini rugs as well, they're such an affordable touch of luxury and look good with any type of decor. Except my Siamese cat thinks they're her mom and kneads them for hours, but I digress.

posted by cvgmiami on April 21, 2011 at 2:33pm
view cvgmiami's profile

Love love love it - Seriously a deer head? who'd have thought?

posted by Karen KJS on April 21, 2011 at 3:28pm
view Karen KJS's profile

I love the black room! I've been nervous about doing black (my husband really wants it though) since we're currently in a basement, but when we move above ground, you may have inspired me to give it a try! :D

posted by HandmadeKatie on April 21, 2011 at 8:03pm
view HandmadeKatie's profile

I want to see more - AT, do a house tour!

posted by SaraBa on April 21, 2011 at 8:31pm
view SaraBa's profile

where did you get that huge rug? it looks brown and white not black and white and i want it!

posted by Coletta (rhymes with velveeta) on April 21, 2011 at 8:57pm
view Coletta (rhymes with velveeta)'s profile

to a fellow emily from kentucky, nice job. nice to see great ky homes represented here, too.

posted by mlehairis on April 21, 2011 at 9:09pm
view mlehairis's profile

Yes!! House tour please! Love the chalkboard art :-) I love the mix of the dining chair print with your wall decal. I have a fairly open space in my home but sometimes wish I didn't. Just think, you can go with different color schemes and other decor in each room! I have two huge rooms and 800 sq ft which means my writing area needs to go with my sleeping area. If I had a separate little office, I would go in a completely different design direction than I would for a bedroom. You can also tuck that dirty laundry away in your laundry room (seeing my hampers 50% of the time drives me nuts). So I think your floor plan is pretty fantastic.

posted by mauishopgirl on April 21, 2011 at 9:15pm
view mauishopgirl's profile

Yes!! House tour please! Love the chalkboard art :-) I love the mix of the dining chair print with your wall decal. I have a fairly open space in my home but sometimes wish I didn't. Just think, you can go with different color schemes and other decor in each room! I have two huge rooms and 800 sq ft which means my writing area needs to go with my sleeping area. If I had a separate little office, I would go in a completely different design direction than I would for a bedroom. You can also tuck that dirty laundry away in your laundry room (seeing my hampers 50% of the time drives me nuts). So I think your floor plan is pretty fantastic.

Very Nice! Classy and clean-sharp around the edges but not overbearing. You get my vote.

posted by Dave from Man Cave Designs on April 21, 2011 at 9:20pm
view Dave from Man Cave Designs's profile

Finally someone else in KY who isn't afraid to use black paint. Love it!

posted by trikrtreat on April 21, 2011 at 9:41pm
view trikrtreat's profile

I like the wallpaper in the dining area!

posted by mefitia on April 21, 2011 at 10:20pm
view mefitia's profile

I really like the colors, and the accents added through texture. I route for you! I'm from Lexington!

posted by ButterfluyBleus on April 21, 2011 at 11:06pm
view ButterfluyBleus's profile

I love everything about it. It all looks so effortless!

posted by rajaune on April 21, 2011 at 11:48pm
view rajaune's profile

I love how you took a clearly older place and made it unabashedly modern.

posted by katlia on April 22, 2011 at 2:04am
view katlia's profile

I agree - beautiful place! And would love to know where you got that black and white rug also?

posted by Johanna D on April 22, 2011 at 10:57am
view Johanna D's profile

The rug in the "white room" is West Elm's Zig Zag rug. The color option is Espresso/Ivory/Flax - more brown/white than black/white. It's available here. The West Elmers (official name) were switching out their floor displays so it was a display discount. Otherwise, I think they are a little expensive. The store near me has since closed so I've been bummed to not score those display deals. Anyone else have their West Elm store disappear? P/S: Seeing everyone's positive and helpful comments has totally made my year. Very inspiring for future projects.

posted by emily @ go haus go on April 22, 2011 at 11:56am

Hi Apartment Therapy friends, I see a lot of comments and questions on these entries about rugs, which has started me on a hunt. I wanted to share this site with you (affordable, great selection and tons of chevron rugs). No, I don't work for them, just sharing a good resource.

www.burkedecor.com

posted by cvgmiami on April 22, 2011 at 12:29pm
view cvgmiami's profile

I've said it before for other posts and I'll say it again. I. LOVE. BLACK. PAINT!! This is a prime example of how to do it PERFECTLY. OMGosh.

posted by MyDogistheShihTzu on April 22, 2011 at 3:22pm
view MyDogistheShihTzu's profile

I love Dennis Hopper. His movie Speed! or Waterworld! Awesome cross-stitch addon?

posted by Brad Sorrell on April 22, 2011 at 4:22pm
view Brad Sorrell's profile

love the wallpaper in the dining area

posted by formosagirl on April 22, 2011 at 6:23pm
view formosagirl's profile

Freaky black-room chairs!

posted by digger61 on April 23, 2011 at 7:40am
view digger61's profile

Where ever did you get those sweet chairs? Hmmmm

posted by Aaronbmay on April 23, 2011 at 9:03am
view Aaronbmay's profile

you can get that same style rug at rugs direct for way cheaper! it's call the Miliken.

posted by Coletta (rhymes with velveeta) on April 24, 2011 at 10:14am
view Coletta (rhymes with velveeta)'s profile

Where in Covington is this located? I live in the Licking River District and was just wondering. Fun stuff though.

posted by astndnbr on April 24, 2011 at 11:19pm
view astndnbr's profile

Hey astndnbr - glad to see a fellow Covington dweller on here! I am back a bit - close to 19th and Madison. I adore your area. I'm always driving thru looking at houses.

posted by emily @ go haus go on April 25, 2011 at 8:36am

Very, very cool space - love the personality shining through! Has such a good vibe!

posted by Shoshanna_ on April 25, 2011 at 6:05pm
view Shoshanna_'s profile

Just masterful.

posted by Terry3 on April 26, 2011 at 2:13pm
view Terry3's profile