Shereen's Open & Airy

Name:

Shereen

Ottawa, Canada

Division:

International

Square Feet:

What I Love About My Home

I love the lay out because it feels very open and airy. I also love that in the summer time, when the trees are full and lush, I feel like I live in a big huge tree house.

Biggest Challenge in Furnishing My Home

One challenge was figuring out how to make the living room work with a dining table. I love to entertain and wanted to be able to accommodate a large group of people. Lots of extra folding chairs as well as pulling in my balcony table and throwing down a large table cloth across both helps. I've served a full Christmas dinner for 12 in this space!

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (23)

Shereen, what's the wall color??

posted by Gwen Roach on April 20, 2011 at 10:27am
view Gwen Roach's profile

I love your couch! Where is it from?

posted by Jamie O'Neal on April 20, 2011 at 12:39pm
view Jamie O'Neal's profile

Very relaxing environment...would also like to know where the couch is from if you can remember?

posted by pangie1980 on April 20, 2011 at 3:14pm
view pangie1980's profile

Can I come live with you?

posted by pheebs79 on April 20, 2011 at 10:00am
view pheebs79's profile

Absolutely beautiful! Love the shades in your bedroom!

posted by Tracy333 on April 20, 2011 at 11:28am
view Tracy333's profile

While I LOVE how serene this place feels, the dining table in the path of the television is driving me nuts. Even though the TV is elevated so that the table isn't in the sightline, I find it very distracting.

posted by CraigslistDecorator on April 20, 2011 at 11:32am
view CraigslistDecorator's profile

The shades and the wall-art are stunning.

posted by Reeses902 on April 20, 2011 at 11:36am
view Reeses902's profile

I love the sliding window treatments as well! Curtains/blinds - what do you even call them?

posted by casey w on April 20, 2011 at 12:42pm
view casey w's profile

Thanks everyone! To address some of the questions: Paint colours - can't remember but will find out. Shades - nope didn't make them, purchased from Ikea. Sofa - from the Bay by a Canadian company (can't recall the name right now).

posted by neerehs on April 20, 2011 at 1:18pm
view neerehs's profile

the words on the wall (behind telly) is really very pretty =)

posted by JulianneMay on April 20, 2011 at 7:43pm
view JulianneMay's profile

Very nice!

posted by ModHomekeeper on April 20, 2011 at 4:44pm
view ModHomekeeper's profile

Totally my style: white, airy, sunny and modern... But, I think the tv is so far and away from couch. Isn´t?. What is the room to the door´s left?

posted by Ofelia on April 20, 2011 at 4:55pm
view Ofelia's profile

Lovely!

posted by A Whimsical Girl Named Debbie on April 20, 2011 at 6:19pm
view A Whimsical Girl Named Debbie's profile

You've done a wonderful job of pulling it all together. It's fresh and stylish and feels spacious. Love the bedside tables. I live in Ottawa too. Can you say where you got them? Good luck!

posted by windsongaloka on April 20, 2011 at 9:36pm
view windsongaloka's profile

Hi, I have the same kind of layout. Love the white, openness and big windows. Did you consider having the dining room behind the couch or will that close up the space too much?

posted by Ziso on April 21, 2011 at 8:19am
view Ziso's profile

Ziso - yes I tried that, and it was really cluttered. You can see some pictures of the evolution of the space on my little informal blog http://bajmahal-design.blogspot.com/2009/04/spring-is-here.html
Side tables in the bedroom are from Ikea as well. And again the sofa is from the Bay (big Canadian dept store) I just can't recall the brandname of the sofa itself. THanks again!

posted by neerehs on April 21, 2011 at 11:45am
view neerehs's profile

Love the balcony!

posted by khanabida on April 22, 2011 at 1:36pm
view khanabida's profile

It's hard to believe your living room is only 15 ft x 13 ft. I lives much larger. Good for you!

posted by Terry3 on April 22, 2011 at 9:07pm
view Terry3's profile

I agree with all of the comments. You've done such a great job! I must say though: not a fan of the chandelier in the bedroom

posted by Daveyboy613 on April 23, 2011 at 12:15pm
view Daveyboy613's profile

i'm loving the start simplicity of the interiors. good job!

posted by Renaisssance Chick on April 25, 2011 at 2:58am
view Renaisssance Chick's profile

Would you say there is enough room for a boyfriend to hide in here if your parents stopped by unexpectedly?

posted by a535 on April 26, 2011 at 9:24am
view a535's profile

The title matches perfectly. I like the colors you have chosen for the living room.

posted by Miko Love on April 26, 2011 at 5:19pm
view Miko Love's profile

I love what you did with your space, it's looks very open and welcoming. Nice job. BTW, i'm glad you like my blog. Cheers.

posted by Kike_ on April 28, 2011 at 9:41am
view Kike_'s profile