Jessica's DIY Platform

Name:

Jessica

Minneapolis, Minnesota

Division:

Little

Square Feet:

What I Love About My Home

There are several things that we love about our Small Cool Home like the location, the view and the coziness of the space. Most of all we love the personal touches we have added to our space. For example we have enlarged many of our own travel photos. Even though it was hard work, our custom bed and storage area have made our home a uniquely functional and practical space

Biggest Challenge in Furnishing My Home

As with most small homes, the biggest challenge we faced was storage. When we moved in to our home, we determined that we had two needs: storage and a separated workspace. We built a freestanding platform in the bedroom, which allows enough room for workspace, sleeping and storage underneath it. (Luckily we have 10 foot ceilings.) The 2 foot tall platform encompasses the expanse of the bedroom and still allows 8 feet of height to the ceiling. The storage space can be accessed through a small door on the front of the platform or by simply sliding the bed frame over and crawling in. The headboard stays in place at all times. We finished the floor with laminate wood flooring and stained and tiled the headboard to add some finishing touches to our DIY storage unit.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (29)

The bedroom platform is a great idea. Love the whole apt.

posted by KayinKCMO on April 22, 2011 at 2:00pm
view KayinKCMO's profile

Love the look of this one. Great job!

posted by Wall Star Graphics on April 22, 2011 at 10:54am
view Wall Star Graphics's profile

I love the picture that's at an angle on the wall! Very nice house all-round :)

posted by lei on April 22, 2011 at 11:23am
view lei's profile

love it ! very elegant...

posted by burcuayaz1 on April 22, 2011 at 1:44pm
view burcuayaz1's profile

I'd love to see more of the platform - both plans and photos, since it looks both really cool and practical. Your place has almost a London feel because of the tight space, spare decor - colors and the platform. Well done.

posted by dn on April 22, 2011 at 2:26pm
view dn's profile

WHOA.
Is that the Basilica out your window?
NICE.

<3 Minnesotans!

posted by bodicegoddess on April 22, 2011 at 2:41pm
view bodicegoddess's profile

This is the hands down most liveable entry I've seen in the Small Cool contest. Great work Jessica!

posted by knitsmcgee on April 22, 2011 at 2:44pm
view knitsmcgee's profile

Love your kitchen!

posted by clur on April 22, 2011 at 3:15pm
view clur's profile

Looks awesome! Very clean/architectural looking!

posted by Sarah McMahan on April 22, 2011 at 4:11pm
view Sarah McMahan's profile

it's uncluttered which i like. however, when i see that angled painting, i just want to straighten it! sorry....

posted by hiwelder on April 22, 2011 at 4:45pm
view hiwelder's profile

brilliant bed idea. so smart use of space.

posted by queenyellowsun on April 23, 2011 at 2:36am
view queenyellowsun's profile

I think it's great! I wonder why so few votes?

posted by sypage on April 23, 2011 at 4:02am
view sypage's profile

Izzy says this is her favorite too

posted by jobman1 on April 23, 2011 at 7:37am
view jobman1's profile

Honey colored and graceful - fabulous use of small space - really sparkling!!

posted by victoria Luyendyk on April 23, 2011 at 11:44am
view victoria Luyendyk's profile

Bathroom colors and decor are really nice! Tilted art frame above fireplace doesn't make sense to me. Does the bed pull out to reveal storage, or is the storage along the side of the bed?

posted by mellowhome on April 23, 2011 at 11:17am
view mellowhome's profile

minneapolis represent! love the basilica right outside! (i have the Foshay and IDS as my view)

posted by reclaimedspaces on April 23, 2011 at 5:05pm
view reclaimedspaces's profile

The DIY of this is amazing. I am amazed by the idea of the platform/storage in the bedroom!

The living room has potential but I don't understand the chair behind the couch and really don't like the picture at an angle. The kitchen area is very attractive.

I chose this as one of my few favorites...Very nice.

posted by Christie333 on April 23, 2011 at 5:50pm
view Christie333's profile

I can see from your blueprint you want to face your couch to the windows, excellent idea!.. since I see the beautiful Basilica from the cities. Love your chair, I can see having a cozy reading spot next to the fireplace. Great Job!

posted by MapleGrove on April 23, 2011 at 10:11pm
view MapleGrove's profile

Hey jess and carl, this is your little bro, and I agree with everybody, including the comet about the angled painting. I want to straighten it too, but it gives a nice feeling to the place.

posted by bman123 on April 24, 2011 at 10:22am
view bman123's profile

I'm way to OCD to have a picture frame cockeyed! I just want to straighten it. Love the kitchen.

posted by Terry Clark on April 24, 2011 at 10:47pm
view Terry Clark's profile

Really like the colour of the bathroom.

posted by Ban Clothing on April 24, 2011 at 11:50pm
view Ban Clothing's profile

I like it, but I just don´t like the armchair next to the fireplace. I feel that you can find a way to accommodate the sofa and the armchair together.

But you´re home is very nice, I like it a lot. And I vote for you. :)

posted by suzie__lee on April 25, 2011 at 1:53pm
view suzie__lee's profile

Well done! Amazing look! It's modern yet looks homey as well with your personal touches.

posted by vanessarieck1 on April 25, 2011 at 6:15pm
view vanessarieck1's profile

Back couch facing the fireplace? Mmm...

posted by Ofelia on April 25, 2011 at 6:18pm
view Ofelia's profile

Where to place the couch was a tricky decision. We have an amazing view of the park and the Basilica out our windows. We opted to face the couch towards the window. You can watch TV and enjoy the view!

posted by Mpls Girl on April 25, 2011 at 9:33pm
view Mpls Girl's profile

Yes I understand your point, but I just don´t like it. I feel like the place looks very small in that way.

posted by suzie__lee on April 27, 2011 at 2:53pm
view suzie__lee's profile

I like the picture at an angle but I don't understand the chair behind the sofa. Is that a tv in the fireplace.? cool!

posted by House Voyeur on April 30, 2011 at 10:39pm
view House Voyeur's profile

Interested to see how the platform was made? Check out the blogpost at: http://4leastresistance.blogspot.com/2011/05/diy-platform-storage-bed-design.html

posted by NRGerdy on May 30, 2011 at 7:27pm
view NRGerdy's profile

Yeah, that's a tricky situation with the space behind the sofa. You can have the fire or the view, but not both. Mirrors might help, say a wall of mirrors behind the fireplace could pull in the view from the windows, really open the room. Sofa on opposite wall, TV nxt to fire... You guys probably already considered that. Ah just a thought.

posted by Bruce127 on July 11, 2011 at 8:12am
view Bruce127's profile