Mark's Historic Home

Name:

Mark

Houston, Texas

Division:

Little

Square Feet:

What I Love About My Home

I was hooked when I first saw the abandoned 1910 Southern Pacific Railroad building. The historic structure was to be converted into lofts but at the time was chopped up into small office spaces with suspended ceilings and bad carpeting. The large windows, exposed brick and tall ceilings became the perfect backdrop for my collection of mid century, vintage and modern furnishings. I love the contrast of old and new, rough and polished.

Biggest Challenge in Furnishing My Home

Living in one small room forces me to reject clutter, avoid impulse buys, and make my bed everyday. There are no doors to close off the mess and also limited wall space for displaying art. If I find something new that I can't live without it means I have to get rid of something old that I can't live without, It's a constant struggle.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (31)

Does the payphone work or is it purely decorative?

posted by hotpaprika on April 21, 2011 at 8:21am
view hotpaprika's profile

I love the blue mini cooper poster.

posted by Sam59 on April 21, 2011 at 11:14am
view Sam59's profile

Cool as cool...

posted by The Vintage Spoon on April 21, 2011 at 11:21am
view The Vintage Spoon's profile

Where did you find the pay phone? Totally cute and cool at the same time.

posted by Tracy333 on April 21, 2011 at 12:03pm
view Tracy333's profile

Where to start? The neon clock, the pay phone, the cuckoo clock, the vintage stadium/theater chairs, the gleaming wood floors, the exposed brick, the mini cooper poster, the use of color on the accent walls....I could keep going. Oh, it's utterly fantastic.

When can I move in? ;)

posted by Reeses902 on April 21, 2011 at 12:45pm
view Reeses902's profile

@ crayfish if you mean the 3X3 cube bookcase I don't think this is an Expedit!

I don't get why some people are so obsessed with hating Ikea. It's ok not to like a brand and criticize it but why is it that Ikea haters always sound so mad?

At least let's accept that some people like their furniture and/or don't have access to other reasonably priced furniture stores...or whatever!

posted by hotpaprika on April 21, 2011 at 4:06pm

I meant "mad" as in "angry" by the way, not "crazy" :)

posted by hotpaprika on April 21, 2011 at 4:07pm

The first picture is a real showstopper. Gorgeous colors and well designed space.

posted by good time teeth on April 21, 2011 at 4:07pm
view good time teeth's profile

wow! where would I get those paintings from?
they add so much color to the room. very well done!

posted by vodkagn on April 21, 2011 at 4:26pm
view vodkagn's profile

I really like what you've done to make the space "cool."

posted by Holly14 on April 21, 2011 at 4:28pm
view Holly14's profile

fabulous, love the colors, the art, the stove front, and your NOT ikea shelves!

posted by lonibelle on April 21, 2011 at 4:40pm
view lonibelle's profile

Corner tv cabinets are often so yucky. I love yours!

posted by mlme on April 21, 2011 at 4:45pm
view mlme's profile

Thank you, Crayfish. I think that's the 4th time you've said that about the expedit shelving. And I don't think that is, anyway, since Ikea doesn't make Expedit in 3x3.

The concept of using something that creates storage as space separation is wonderful.

I love your space, everything from the colors to the style flows well, but is still well defined... and I love your kitchen! The clock is so cool!

posted by HandmadeKatie on April 21, 2011 at 8:34pm
view HandmadeKatie's profile

geez what's wrong with using IKEA shelves if it is from IKEA? I don't live in a country where I can just walk in artsy flea markets or have people give me free furniture on Craiglist. IKEA is the only furniture brand available that is functional and reasonably priced. So can anyone tell me what's wrong with purchasing furniture from IKEA?

posted by foxymardy on April 21, 2011 at 8:46pm
view foxymardy's profile

beautiful...and seriously WHO CARES what the NAME of the shelves are.... jeez

posted by KoopKan on April 21, 2011 at 9:18pm
view KoopKan's profile

I love how you've separated the sleepng area with the storage shelves. It's a great look and a practical solution. Don't pay any attention to the nitpickers. You've done a good job with your space, and it looks very comfortable.

posted by Florida Joyce on April 21, 2011 at 9:26pm
view Florida Joyce's profile

I love this! I am moving back to Houston over to summer and am looking for a space like this, so I'm glad to know they exist! Thinking about scouring Heights garage apartments gives me nightmares (though a lot are cute).

posted by chelseaellen on April 21, 2011 at 10:58pm
view chelseaellen's profile

I like IKEA. There, the whole world knows my shame. Haters are very tired, lame and juvenile. Can we stop with the ikea hate? Anyway, This is a great apartment, ton of character.

posted by PattyD on April 22, 2011 at 1:33am
view PattyD's profile

Love it! Where is your headboard from?

posted by britwash on April 22, 2011 at 9:46am
view britwash's profile

Ikea is popular because it is so awesome and attainable. This place is fantastic.

posted by delg23 on April 22, 2011 at 11:35am
view delg23's profile

love your style. the men are really ruling this contest!

posted by queenyellowsun on April 23, 2011 at 2:44am
view queenyellowsun's profile

I really like how you've used color in addition to physical elements to make each space distinct. The phone is quirky cool too.

posted by Linda Pinsker on April 23, 2011 at 10:09am
view Linda Pinsker's profile

The Pay Phone was from a Neiman Marcus that was being demolished and it does work. The wall unit is made by “Club 8” from Denmark, not that I have anything against Ikea. Headboard is from West Elm.
Thanks for all the comments and votes !
-Mark

posted by Mark from Houston on April 26, 2011 at 11:31am
view Mark from Houston's profile

Mark, I love it -- Colorful, 50ish, tasteful.
i would love to live there. ;)

posted by terrencesweeney on April 26, 2011 at 12:58pm
view terrencesweeney's profile

I just moved into this same building. All the residents mention this cool unit on (X). Although we all have the same bones, I can confirm that Mark's has the most personal style. Almost every piece is either found, purchased at an art fair, or from his mom's basement. Even his car (a Mini, natch') is cool. He just makes it look easy.

posted by onlytom on April 26, 2011 at 2:43pm
view onlytom's profile

I love this loft. Every choice is perfect without feeling like it was intentional.

posted by MacD65 on April 26, 2011 at 3:20pm
view MacD65's profile

so clean and light and pretty and well attended and furnished. yeah, this gets my vote!!

posted by marymedals on April 26, 2011 at 5:25pm
view marymedals's profile

I love your place; you could practically write a book about it!

posted by Matthew West on April 26, 2011 at 5:47pm
view Matthew West's profile

Great mix of old and new. Enough color to be interesting and bright without being overdone. Wonderful mix of wood, metal, and textures. You've got my vote.

posted by Claudia D on April 28, 2011 at 12:45pm
view Claudia D's profile

Hot and Posh!!!!!!!!

posted by MThunder on April 29, 2011 at 12:50am
view MThunder's profile

Ah, 'unit J' is it? You can't fool us Mark. Such a sense of style. Money could be a help, but even if I had it, I couldn't do anything with as much style and humor. As we say in New Zealand: 'cool as!'

posted by Bruce127 on July 12, 2011 at 7:29am
view Bruce127's profile