Jessica's "Dallas Regency"

Name:

Jessica

Dallas, Texas

Division:

Tiny

Square Feet:

What I Love About My Home

I love the coziness. It feels like I live in a hide away and that is exactly how I want my home to function as a retreat and a source of comfort. The apartment itself is laid out so well - the private backyard, the strangely large kitchen, the TWO closets - it makes living small surprisingly comfortable. Specifically in my home, I love the vanity area. The animal prints, the pictures, my jewelry and favorite accessories displayed all make me feel glamorous every day. It's my favorite place to sit and take my time getting ready for an evening out with friends or quietly prepare for my day. I want it to feel feminine but not overly fussy. I call my style Dallas Regency. Nods to the glam Hollywood muse with some tacky Southern elements thrown in. I revel in a little sparkle, or a bold print. At the end of the day, it’s incredibly soothing to be at home in a place that feels like it really reflects my personality and that I hope is welcoming to others.

Biggest Challenge in Furnishing My Home

All of us small-spacers joke about dorm living, but my building actually used to be a small dormitory for the single doctors of a nearby downtown hospital. I really wanted the place to feel sensual, not sterile and work against the dormitory vibe that the space sometimes sends. The biggest challenge furnishing the home was just paying very specific mind to the scale of furniture for the place, not just any couch or chair works. I learned what a difference just an inch can make in size and scale in the context of this apartment. Staying organized has become and essential, but now I am very aware of all my possessions and the function they have in my day-to-day life. That particular awareness started as a challenge and slowly evolved into the most favorable perk of living in a small space.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (34)

Dallas Regency! Hurry before Jonathan Adler jumps on it! Very cool, a bit crazy, a smidge tacky - like all great dames. It's fearless and sexy and reminds me of an actresses' apartment in Hollywood. Adding to favorites.

posted by cvgmiami on April 20, 2011 at 9:36am
view cvgmiami's profile

Where is the sofa from?

posted by ratskolnikov on April 20, 2011 at 10:26am
view ratskolnikov's profile

Completely unique! Classy yet just slightly wacky. I love all the brown + black & white.

posted by saramango on April 20, 2011 at 10:11am
view saramango's profile

You get my vote for the Dolly Parton record alone. Cute space!

posted by latoyaversailles on April 20, 2011 at 10:18am
view latoyaversailles's profile

I love the desk space.

posted by DCGirl33 on April 20, 2011 at 11:09am
view DCGirl33's profile

Very glamorous indeed! Love the floor plan. :)

posted by Tracy333 on April 20, 2011 at 11:12am
view Tracy333's profile

I love that despite the size of the space you managed to incorporate pattern and color in your design without losing square footage. it feels cozy rather than cramped and it's beautiful. great work and great design aesthetic!

posted by MeagC on April 20, 2011 at 11:16am
view MeagC's profile

I <3 a good Dolly sighting.

posted by Joolz on April 20, 2011 at 12:36pm
view Joolz's profile

This is not my style - but the large paintings, great layout, and seriously covetable doors/windows really make it a dramatic space.

posted by JynxnJez on April 20, 2011 at 12:45pm
view JynxnJez's profile

I love seeing Dallas represented!

posted by andrea_xtina on April 20, 2011 at 12:59pm
view andrea_xtina's profile

That floor plan is hysterical, and your place is lovely.

posted by bodicegoddess on April 20, 2011 at 1:02pm
view bodicegoddess's profile

Your space is lovely! Well done. I also enjoyed your narrative on having to pare down became a positive, not a negative. I love your private yard, can be a wonderful dining area when entertaining. I think of my small space as an oasis too and try to touch it with some very big glamour.

posted by mauishopgirl on April 20, 2011 at 1:24pm
view mauishopgirl's profile

Love the black and white. I'd paint the dresser white and recover the green chair in white or black. Love the ghost chair at your desk/vanity. Good job!!

posted by williamsweyr on April 20, 2011 at 1:40pm
view williamsweyr's profile

There is personality in every inch of your home. Love it!

posted by callaloo on April 20, 2011 at 1:54pm
view callaloo's profile

Looks great. Who needs a nightstand when you can roll over a grab a beer from the fridge... haha!

As a former (and soon-to-be) Dallas resident, I have to say that its hard to find smaller places that are nice. Is this area by Baylor or Methodist?

posted by dos palomas on April 20, 2011 at 2:05pm
view dos palomas's profile

I love the layout and furniture choices, but my first impression was that it is overloaded with patterns. I'd like to see some solid colors to give the eye a place to rest.

posted by StudioStarter on April 20, 2011 at 2:10pm
view StudioStarter's profile

I am so jealous of your home!

posted by marti.smarti on April 20, 2011 at 2:38pm
view marti.smarti's profile

The floor plan was hilarious.

posted by RMF325 on April 20, 2011 at 2:48pm
view RMF325's profile

I LOVE the black hardwood floors! Animal print usually isn't my thing but in your space it looks really good! Also as a Dallas resident myself I'm super curious about what area you are in. Not sure I've ever really seen a place like this. Maybe Greenville/Lakewood?

posted by lonestarstateofstyle on April 20, 2011 at 3:23pm
view lonestarstateofstyle's profile

this isnt my usual aesthetic, but i think its absolutely fabulous! such great use of space, your black floors are gorgeous, and the entire space feels cohesive and cozy.

posted by elizabeth11 on April 20, 2011 at 3:35pm
view elizabeth11's profile

Best kitchen curtain I have ever seen.

posted by helanother on April 20, 2011 at 3:46pm
view helanother's profile

Thanks so much for all the feedback and your nice words! I will totally trade Jonathan Adler for the name in trade ;). I need one of those Barbie jars for eyelashes and glitter.

For those of you asking about location, I am very near to Baylor hospital on on the south side of Lakewood but near to Deep Ellum.

@rahskir the sofa is from CSNstores.com - it's sort of a filler sofa while i wait to fall in love with something. but i like the tufts, it's comfortable and it folds down for overnight guests. (i put an air mattress on top of it though). they have a lot of inventory to go through but i have found good deals on my ottomans there as well.

@mauishopgirl i love the dining area idea. the backyard is my next big project.

@dos palomas get on back to Dallas! but live on the East Side ;).

posted by jessicacea on April 20, 2011 at 4:10pm
view jessicacea's profile

This space has a lot of what's been lacking thus far: color, warmth and most of all a sense of humor and identity. Love it.

posted by Yvette on April 20, 2011 at 4:31pm
view Yvette's profile

cute space. love the black + white bedding!

posted by Vanessa from vanessabottoni.blogspot.com on April 20, 2011 at 5:28pm
view Vanessa from vanessabottoni.blogspot.com's profile

Yay for another Dallasite! Really enjoy your fun apartment, which is in my old hood (I'm in the Cliff now).

posted by glamtart on April 20, 2011 at 11:16pm
view glamtart's profile

Great space! I'm right around the corner from ya...Dallas...we got style!

posted by natalieJ on April 20, 2011 at 11:35pm
view natalieJ's profile

"Where the magic happens" -- har. If by "magic" you mean "daily ritual of lint-rolling cat fur off duvet cover," I have the exact same room!

posted by orbit on April 21, 2011 at 2:08am
view orbit's profile

Now I'm homesick.

That large painting really works! (At first I thought it was a huge cool mirror.) Are you the artist?

posted by Lilly3 on April 21, 2011 at 6:16am
view Lilly3's profile

I love your apartment! Very chic and humorous.

posted by Ftworthbarb on April 21, 2011 at 2:11pm
view Ftworthbarb's profile

PERSONALITY +++++. Creative and unique with a sense of fun. Love it!

posted by prgirl60 on April 21, 2011 at 4:09pm
view prgirl60's profile

"Dallas Regency" is the perfect description for this style! I'm from Dallas too, and love a good lucite piece or animal print. We're all a little inspired by Jan Showers, who is a local designer and does regency right. So great to see this in a public forum like this!

posted by leils on April 21, 2011 at 10:27pm
view leils's profile

Style! Style! Style! Love it!

posted by Kacie3 on April 22, 2011 at 1:15am
view Kacie3's profile

That's what I'm talking about!

posted by Juliet___ on April 22, 2011 at 3:23am
view Juliet___'s profile

So haute

posted by brentonarden on April 27, 2011 at 1:35am
view brentonarden's profile