Catherine's 1920s Studio

Name:

Catherine

Decatur, Georgia

Division:

Tiny

Square Feet:

What I Love About My Home

My studio is in a small 1920s apartment building. I love the charming, old touches like the built-in corner cabinet in the dining area and clear door handles. It also has a decent amount of storage space for the era it was built in with a closet behind my bed that I use for cold storage and a "walk-in" closet that leads to the bathroom. I also love the fact that I can plug the vacuum in once and clean the whole space without switching outlets.

Biggest Challenge in Furnishing My Home

I have quite a bit of Ikea furniture so it's hard not to get that Ikea showroom look. The layout is a little tricky. It wasn't until I came to terms with the fact that I would have to put my bed against the wall with the closet that everything else fell into place. I'm only planning on living here for one year so I've decided to hold off on a couple of things like wallpaper and adding floating shelves.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (47)

what's that paint color?

posted by Lady J on April 19, 2011 at 9:45am
view Lady J's profile

It doesn't look at all like an Ikea showroom because you picked pieces that were exactly in the right size and style for you and for this place. I would have loved to see your "Carrie" closet.

posted by Allegra M on April 19, 2011 at 8:34am
view Allegra M's profile

You have so many nice details: lovely lamps at the nightstands; beautiful jewelry display; I like the artwork above the kitchen cabinets; also how you used the chair next to the sofa!

posted by hotpaprika on April 19, 2011 at 9:25am
view hotpaprika's profile

I like that you put artwork on top of your kitchen cabinets, I always use that space for storage but this definitely brightens up the space. Might have to steal the idea :)

posted by theresaann on April 19, 2011 at 11:13am
view theresaann's profile

I love your dining set! I think it would go perfectly in the teeny 425 sq ft studio apartment I'm moving into next week!! Where did you find it?

I don't think your place looks like an Ikea showroom at all. In fact, it looks as if you've picked up a bunch of lovely treasures at thrift stores, and flea markets.

posted by mellowhome on April 19, 2011 at 11:32am
view mellowhome's profile

Thank you all for the kind words!
Allegra, I'll be posting a photo or two of my closet on my blog at www.asiancajuns.com. It's definitely not as cute as Carrie's!
Lady J, the paint color is Benjamin Moore Iced Mauve.

posted by AsianCajuns (Cath) on April 19, 2011 at 11:37am
view AsianCajuns (Cath)'s profile

I found the dining set!!

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50176836

posted by mellowhome on April 19, 2011 at 12:22pm

Very beautiful studio. I've always liked that Ikea dining set. The desgin of it is perfect for a small space and love how the chairs are pushed into the table. Other designers need to make similiar ones besides just Ikea. By the way..you place doesn't look like an Ikea showroom. You've been able to balance Ikea furniture with other pieces very well. :)

posted by Tracy333 on April 19, 2011 at 12:44pm
view Tracy333's profile

Lovely place full of personality!!

posted by danze on April 19, 2011 at 1:00pm
view danze's profile

I love your kitchen/dining area!! Do you find that dining table set comfortable to sit on for awhile? I've been eyeing that piece, and I actually Ikea had discontinued this particular model.

posted by pier723 on April 19, 2011 at 1:21pm
view pier723's profile

Very cute. I was thinking about that same dining set myself, at the time it was released. But then I never purchased it (I got a fairly nice Danish-style table donated by a friend, and I still have it).

posted by CanadianMango on April 19, 2011 at 2:11pm
view CanadianMango's profile

So lovely! I'll be saving this to my inspiration Pinboard for sure. Doesn't look like an IKEA showroom at ALL.

posted by bodicegoddess on April 19, 2011 at 2:14pm
view bodicegoddess's profile

Your color palette is so inviting, and makes everything you chose to put in your home work beautifully!

posted by visualeyes on April 19, 2011 at 2:18pm
view visualeyes's profile

I live in a tiny studio too and we both have lilac walls! I love it. It's feminine but goes with other masculine hues like greys to tone it down.

Besides, after moving out of my boyfriends apartment last spring which had an ultra masculine design I wanted to paint my place something girly.

posted by witzz on April 19, 2011 at 2:24pm
view witzz's profile

love how you use the chair as a side table next to the couch!

posted by mbenard224 on April 19, 2011 at 2:47pm
view mbenard224's profile

This is my favorite! It feels accessible, yet carefully designed. Love the color palette.

posted by Gsewake on April 19, 2011 at 2:48pm
view Gsewake's profile

I don't think it looks like an Ikea showroom either! The Ikea pieces don't look so "Ikea" when paired with your artwork and other personal touches.
I think it's a darling studio and would be sad to stay for only a year.

posted by the urban girl on April 19, 2011 at 3:02pm
view the urban girl's profile

One of my favorites! I adore everything about this from your personal style to those black and white kitchen floors. I really love the print on your couch and the deer head in the frame. Love it all!

posted by MWesdock on April 19, 2011 at 3:06pm
view MWesdock's profile

I really like how you've got a curtain up to act as a headboard. The shimmer on it gives your bed some vavoom :)

posted by WhitneyLeigh on April 19, 2011 at 3:29pm
view WhitneyLeigh's profile

Catherine, this is just darling! I love it! Also love that black chair.

And I smiled when I read your comment about not needing to switch outlets when you vacuum--I hear that!

posted by AmyinPittsburgh on April 19, 2011 at 3:44pm
view AmyinPittsburgh's profile

Whew! I'm glad it's not coming off as too Ikea-ish, although I do love me some Ikea.

Pier723, it's not the most comfortable table/chair set available because the backs are so straight and the back leg of each chair sticks out quite a bit so I keep tripping over the one closest to the fridge. That being said, I use it all the time (to eat and work at) and love the way it looks.

Thank you everyone for all of the comments - they've made my day!

posted by AsianCajuns (Cath) on April 19, 2011 at 4:00pm
view AsianCajuns (Cath)'s profile

totally digging on that matador print!

posted by ohmydarlin on April 19, 2011 at 4:44pm
view ohmydarlin's profile

I absolutely don't know where to begin! Your apartment is the ENVY of my four walls...
The vintage fan, the pink flowers, the books stacked under the jewelry board...

posted by The Vintage Spoon on April 19, 2011 at 4:52pm
view The Vintage Spoon's profile

i think your place is darling; i usually don't go in for pink/lilac colors on the walls, but it really works here. i've also got a klippan sofa, and have a cream color slipcover that my husband and dog have destroyed. i was on the bemz website looking at that exact slipcover - do you like it? it looks fab on your sofa!

posted by formosagirl on April 19, 2011 at 6:03pm
view formosagirl's profile

I also love the curtain behind the bed and plan to do the same in my bedroom :)

posted by kavita85 on April 19, 2011 at 7:06pm
view kavita85's profile

This is great! I didn't think it looked at all like an Ikea showroom either! (Even if it did, I love Ikea stuff so I still would have loved it). It's full of personality from top to bottom :)

I almost bought that rug when I was in Minneapolis last week (don't have an Ikea in my city yet). I've had my eye on it for so long, and I snagged the last one...but in the end I couldn't picture it working in my house so I returned it :( It looks great in your place though! I'm jealous!

posted by pheebs79 on April 19, 2011 at 7:07pm
view pheebs79's profile

Gorgeous! The paint colors and decorative accents give it a very designed yet comfy feel. Definitely don't get an Ikea showroom feel. My favorite part is the framed "buck" :)

posted by natelacy on April 19, 2011 at 8:17pm
view natelacy's profile

The whole palate of this place is so nice and warm- and a lot of that has to do with how nicely you've worked with the lighting. Beautiful!

posted by EMinCHICAGO on April 19, 2011 at 9:13pm
view EMinCHICAGO's profile

I've added this to my favorites because I love the colors and most of your things. I am a little curious about some of your chair placements. You have a chair in front of a door holding a lamp. Looks like a hazard to me. And although I adore the display of your necklaces - it is not very functional as you have to reach over a chair to get to it. I think you have a stellar place here with a little bit of tweaking. Good luck.

posted by robertspeg on April 19, 2011 at 9:13pm
view robertspeg's profile

I Love many of the things listed above! including the placement of the chair next to the couch> the Ikea table & chairs>the relaxing chair and foot stool next to the bed> and the way you hung the pictures! Tiny, Quaint, and Cozy!

posted by keifers on April 20, 2011 at 1:34am
view keifers's profile

Adorable! I love how you worked with the vintage qualities of your tiny space and didn't fight the quaint.

posted by kathytrocheck on April 20, 2011 at 7:34am
view kathytrocheck's profile

This place is really tiny but it looks really beautiful. I like how girly it is!

posted by lili09 on April 20, 2011 at 8:07am
view lili09's profile

I can't vote for it because it's just too feminine for me. Still, for what it is (and given you're only planning to stay a year!?!) it's very well done!

posted by Shadlyn on April 20, 2011 at 9:33am
view Shadlyn's profile

Super girly!! Love it!! It is SOOOO CARRIE BRADSHAW!! Wish u coulda got a pic of the closet too. Good Luck!!

posted by Mr. B3rtrand on April 20, 2011 at 10:16am
view Mr. B3rtrand's profile

Very nice color scheme, and I like your jewelry display/storage.

posted by JynxnJez on April 20, 2011 at 4:42pm
view JynxnJez's profile

what a lovely kitchen floor - I'm a sucker for that black and white.

posted by glasgowgirl on April 20, 2011 at 4:58pm
view glasgowgirl's profile

I found the dining set on Craigslist for $100!! Just picked it up!!

posted by mellowhome on April 20, 2011 at 10:18pm

Fave so far :)

posted by laurakins on April 21, 2011 at 1:00am
view laurakins's profile

You got style, chica! ;)

posted by bgaines on April 21, 2011 at 1:41pm
view bgaines's profile

All the colors are so lovely! This is definitely my favorite apartment of all.

posted by Mishi_M on April 21, 2011 at 5:51pm
view Mishi_M's profile

I want to see that walk through closet!!!
I love the color pallet, good job!

posted by Actor Amanda on April 21, 2011 at 6:49pm
view Actor Amanda's profile

The more I look, the more I like! (and I keep looking!) I love that each little "subspace" looks so cozy and put together, while all coming together very nicely. Just the right balance of match and mismatch for a cohesive, beautiful, personal space :)

posted by aj510 on April 27, 2011 at 4:12am
view aj510's profile

I like the faux hunting trophy. Spiffy and animal friendly. ;)

posted by Ashley From TN on April 27, 2011 at 3:43pm
view Ashley From TN's profile

Love the simple glam feel of your apartment. Everything feels so warm I just want to curl up there!

posted by Abbie G on April 28, 2011 at 1:28pm
view Abbie G's profile

I love your place! Thank you so much for representing the metro Atlanta area with such grace and style!

posted by Acole on April 28, 2011 at 4:52pm
view Acole's profile

Love, love, love the kitchen!

posted by olderworker on April 29, 2011 at 8:14pm
view olderworker's profile

All the corner cabinet colors are so lovely! This is definitely my favorite apartment of all.

posted by jerry23 on November 25, 2011 at 9:35am
view jerry23's profile