Julia's A-Frame

Name:

Julia

Bethlehem, New Hampshire

Division:

Small

Square Feet:

What I Love About My Home

I love all the light that I get from the two banks of windows on the front and back of the house. It makes living in such a small space feel larger than it is and allows all the wonders of nature to be witnessed from every room.

Biggest Challenge in Furnishing My Home

Living in an A-frame means you have slanted walls. Hanging art or the ability to utilize all the wall space is difficult. It means that when you push furniture or shelving up against the wall it leaves awkward spaces behind that are relatively vacant. And with such little space to begin with, it's frustrating to know you can't use it all efficiently.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (164)

Love it Julia!! I voted for you!!
Gina from Nebraska : )

posted by mgtoelle on April 21, 2011 at 12:22am
view mgtoelle's profile

Your bedding is adorable. Also like the furniture combination in the living room.

posted by BeWellA2 on April 19, 2011 at 8:07am
view BeWellA2's profile

I'm in love with all your windows and the whole design of the house. Very quirky. :)

posted by Tracy333 on April 19, 2011 at 12:33pm
view Tracy333's profile

Love it but can't add to favorites. Too BIG a presence. And too private. Misses the spirit of the contest in my opinion.

posted by ok on April 19, 2011 at 8:31am
view ok's profile

I love it. And less than 1000 sq ft is less than 1000 sq ft is less than 1000 sq ft. It qualifies, it's beautiful and unusual, and not everyone in America lives in a city.
(I especially adore the living room, by the way. Can I move in?)

posted by ingridli on April 19, 2011 at 8:58am
view ingridli's profile

I grew up in an A frame...LOVE it. Could you use small hooks to screw into the studs to hang artwork?

posted by Modern Portrait by Tamela Ekstrom on April 19, 2011 at 12:21pm
view Modern Portrait by Tamela Ekstrom's profile

Well I think this is extra beautiful.

posted by Katrin_TakingNotes on April 19, 2011 at 9:09am
view Katrin_TakingNotes's profile

I remember this home being featured in Ready Made magazine. I loved it then and now. The furniture fits right in to this retro home and I'd kill for a glass tile shower like that.

posted by lishmry on April 19, 2011 at 9:15am
view lishmry's profile

I like it but I think the structure itself is what makes this place and agree with poster above, this contest is about making smalll living cool, not who lives in the coolest small structure. Don't get me wrong, I think it's one of the most impressive spaces on here, but again, its not so much about "great architecture" as it is about creating an amazing home in a small space.

posted by cvgmiami on April 19, 2011 at 9:20am
view cvgmiami's profile

can't you nail or pin art/maps on those slanted walls?

posted by ec05 on April 19, 2011 at 11:22am
view ec05's profile

950 sq. feet works for me. I love your home, Julia. It's all so well done. I especially like your bedding, the bedroom ceiling light, and the wonderful view out the bedroom window!

posted by Honore on April 19, 2011 at 11:13am
view Honore's profile

the living room and the bedroom are amazing! how lucky you are to have those views

posted by lorrinm on April 19, 2011 at 11:28am
view lorrinm's profile

wasn't this featured in a magazine?

posted by Bridget212323 on April 19, 2011 at 11:40am
view Bridget212323's profile

Great use of space and decor!

posted by italideco on April 19, 2011 at 11:48am
view italideco's profile

who cares about the structure. it's obvious she has great taste. i doubt people would vote for this entry if it was filled with overstuffed leather couches and thomas kinkade paintings.

posted by raddlesnack on April 19, 2011 at 12:07pm
view raddlesnack's profile

@ raddlesnack - exactly! This is my favorite in the small category so far.

posted by callmecordelia on April 19, 2011 at 12:25pm
view callmecordelia's profile

you have treated your home quite well, not cluttered with well suited furnishings. the sort of space where waking up each morning would be uplifting!

posted by artist girl on April 19, 2011 at 12:34pm
view artist girl's profile

Some comments aren't fair! 200 square feet in a city also have a structure. Be it a beautiful old window, high ceilings with plastering or a brick wall. This all adds to the character of a space. If you don't want that, all participants would have to start with the same blank box. Isn't the contest about what you do with the structure you've got?

Julia, I love your home! I'm looking for a house like that and I know about the problems furnishing such a space. Very well done! You've got my vote ;-)

posted by MollyHeyer on April 19, 2011 at 12:39pm
view MollyHeyer's profile

Seriously one of the coolest houses I have ever seen.

posted by marlamischief1 on April 19, 2011 at 12:44pm
view marlamischief1's profile

This is FANTASTIC. Why on earth would you fault her for having a great base to start with? She's clearly exhibited great decorating taste so what's there to dislike? Sounds like some people are just envious of her good fortune to have such an awesome structure.

posted by gibbler on April 19, 2011 at 12:45pm
view gibbler's profile

Love, love, love it! Brilliantly done, from top to bottom. A-frames feel smaller than regular houses, so this one fits in perfectly.

posted by J Dandy on April 19, 2011 at 12:47pm
view J Dandy's profile

Such an effing amazing house!!!!!! You've got my vote.

posted by Miriah15 on April 19, 2011 at 12:52pm
view Miriah15's profile

Please please please do a house tour on this one, AT!

Gorgeous. Just amazing.

posted by LauraInCancun on April 19, 2011 at 12:52pm
view LauraInCancun's profile

I just realized I have never been inside an A-frame house, though I have always admired them from the outside. Now I kind of want one!

posted by csc76 on April 19, 2011 at 12:53pm
view csc76's profile

Wow. This is my dream home - it reminds me, quite wistfully, of that wondeful Fisher Price A-Frame toy!

posted by cdanojohnson on April 19, 2011 at 12:54pm
view cdanojohnson's profile

I don't really like the "Small" division of this contest because I just don't think furnishing and organizing a 900-1000 sq. ft. space is all that challenging. However, I think your home is lovely and I hope you win in this division.

posted by le_mond on April 19, 2011 at 12:58pm
view le_mond's profile

Can I move in? LOVE your space! Can't decide what I love most... The blue bathroom? The comfy living room with the lovely sofa? The bedroom with the incredible windows and that forest view? Your kitchen with the great backsplash? The overall summer camping feel to the place? I just love everything!!!

posted by kateln on April 19, 2011 at 12:58pm
view kateln's profile

the lamp over the bed looks odd--photoshop?

posted by mrsyow on April 19, 2011 at 1:02pm
view mrsyow's profile

Wow! Very beautiful.

posted by qlorne on April 19, 2011 at 1:03pm
view qlorne's profile

You are living my dream. :)

posted by waterlily on April 19, 2011 at 1:04pm
view waterlily's profile

beautiful.

posted by azaleasmoke on April 19, 2011 at 1:06pm
view azaleasmoke's profile

Wow, thanks for all the comments, positive and negative -- that's what this is all about and not everyone will like everything. The house was not in this shape when I bought it, the kitchen and bath have been re-modeled mostly by me and my boyfriend. We even poured our own concrete sink for the bathroom. re: photoshop lamp question, no it's not photoshopped.

Thank all for your comments and votes!
Julia

posted by brabecova on April 19, 2011 at 1:09pm
view brabecova's profile

Lovely and serene - a fantastic combo for a small home.

posted by Cayennegirl on April 19, 2011 at 1:12pm
view Cayennegirl's profile

wow amazing space! I can't help but think you must be an early riser. With those big windows in your bedroom with no window treatments it must be super bright!

posted by witzz on April 19, 2011 at 1:28pm
view witzz's profile

This *almost* makes me want to move to NH. Where did you get the non-photoshopped lamp, Julia? I love it!

posted by apartmentzombie on April 19, 2011 at 1:36pm
view apartmentzombie's profile

I don't follow the pictures. The bedroom has windows that don't match the lay-out of the exterior shot. Where did the glass panes go?

posted by chittypoppink on April 19, 2011 at 1:37pm
view chittypoppink's profile

This is EXACTLY the kind of place I want to make my home. It can be awkward furnishing and decorating an A-frame...I've done it before (not nearly as well). You did an amazing job!

posted by mollyfields on April 19, 2011 at 1:40pm
view mollyfields's profile

immediately you have my vote, Ju! it is really very homey, inspirational and the only thing I miss there is pivo on the bar and goat behind the house :)

posted by vitezslav on April 19, 2011 at 1:41pm
view vitezslav's profile

The bedroom shot that is displayed faces the back of the house, into the woods. The front bedroom isn't pictured which would have the side glass panes that you see in the exterior image.

posted by brabecova on April 19, 2011 at 1:41pm
view brabecova's profile

This makes me want an A frame house. beautiful.

posted by cynthia_jane on April 19, 2011 at 1:46pm
view cynthia_jane's profile

Adorable, wonderful. Also, so happy to see NH. Represent!

posted by mizK on April 19, 2011 at 1:50pm
view mizK's profile

Wonderful! the cosy wood panelling, the large windows, the soft rug... I wanna live there!

posted by Francesca from Milan on April 19, 2011 at 1:55pm
view Francesca from Milan's profile

Very small and cool!! I guess the roof sheds snow in a practical way.

posted by Kate (NC) on April 19, 2011 at 1:58pm
view Kate (NC)'s profile

A-frame.... SWOOOOON!

Yeah, I always loved the idea of an A-frame, but as I got older I also saw the various impracticalities. But you've made it beautiful!

posted by emmelemm on April 19, 2011 at 2:01pm
view emmelemm's profile

the A frame and view - envy. Even tho I'm a city dweller down to every single bone It must be so lovely to wake up in the morning to your surroundings.

posted by Pamela L on April 19, 2011 at 2:05pm
view Pamela L's profile

Thank you! I follow the lay-out now. Beautiful!

posted by chittypoppink on April 19, 2011 at 2:13pm
view chittypoppink's profile

Not "faulting" her at all. Its obvious she has great taste. But when "I" am rating my choices and "I" am making "my" comments I take certain things into consideration. I think architecture wins over style in this case, so it doesnt go into one of my favorites (its a personal thing). I really like to see what people with a tiny blank box do. That's just what "I" get out of this contest, that's all. Chill out people, its a design contest.

posted by cvgmiami on April 19, 2011 at 2:13pm
view cvgmiami's profile

Oooooh , I love it to pieces! You got my vote, girl! Those windows are to die for!

posted by A Whimsical Girl Named Debbie on April 19, 2011 at 2:14pm
view A Whimsical Girl Named Debbie's profile

Julie, where did you get your beautiful bedding?

posted by KasieB on April 19, 2011 at 2:24pm
view KasieB's profile

I'm sorry..Julia!

posted by KasieB on April 19, 2011 at 2:25pm
view KasieB's profile

Lovely! Thank you for sharing your space with us.

posted by GardenMuse on April 19, 2011 at 2:26pm
view GardenMuse's profile

There's a house down the street from where i grew up that's an A-Frame. My friend lived there and it was the most amazing house. I love A-Frames! :)

posted by oreillyink on April 19, 2011 at 2:46pm
view oreillyink's profile

cvgmiami: "I really like to see what people with a tiny blank box do."

Your vote, your rules - but I think you're missing something important here: Every space has its own set of limitations and opportunities. 'Tiny blank box' is one kind of challenge, 'slanted walls that provide no wall space and shrink the actual footprint' is another, 'wall of windows that basically steals one whole side of the room' is yet another and so on. Choosing furnishings that fit with your existing architecture and bring out the best in it - in this case specifically when it comes to small spaces - is sort of what design is about :)

So yes, Julia's space is unique and 99% of readers won't be able to copy/paste her solutions to their spaces. Boo hoo, she'd still done a terrific job :)

posted by fleo on April 19, 2011 at 2:55pm
view fleo's profile

KasieB - bedding is from Garnet Hill

posted by brabecova on April 19, 2011 at 2:57pm
view brabecova's profile

Absolutely beautiful.

posted by erennich on April 19, 2011 at 3:12pm
view erennich's profile

I saw this in readymade a while back and honestly, it has stuck with me more than any other picture of a house that I have seen. I love every bit of it, especially the tiles in the shower. Every bit of it is amazing. Please let me live there when you are done!

You also totally inspired me to pour my own concrete sink!

posted by lazysmurf on April 19, 2011 at 3:16pm
view lazysmurf's profile

I want this house so bad I can't stannnnddd it! Love your style. :)

posted by nomadchicky on April 19, 2011 at 3:47pm
view nomadchicky's profile

I'm surprised that people think starting with an A-frame gives Julia an advantage. I think an A-frame is so much more challenging than "a blank white box." The reason it looks so good her is because of what she did with it.

There are plenty of dark, lodgey A-frames that I wouldn't want to set foot in. I would stay in Julia's if only she'd have me.

posted by MiklakMiklak on April 19, 2011 at 4:09pm
view MiklakMiklak's profile

I hung on to my copy of Readymade that featured this place - just 'cause it's so cool. Great job. Glad you entered.

posted by annie-san on April 19, 2011 at 4:10pm
view annie-san's profile

WINNER!

posted by rlmesq on April 19, 2011 at 4:10pm
view rlmesq's profile

I looked at a similar a-frame in Bethlehem Nh a couple years ago. It needed so much work. We passed on the buy. Wish we had these photos as a guide to go by. Really nice job.

posted by andover on April 19, 2011 at 4:15pm
view andover's profile

I agree that the fun of the contest is to see what people can do with small spaces. To that end, I think this is a great example - the A-frame presents challenges that other homes her size don't have.

posted by Britomart on April 19, 2011 at 5:13pm
view Britomart's profile

Like this, but love the shower.

posted by KayinKCMO on April 19, 2011 at 5:31pm
view KayinKCMO's profile

Gorgeous home!

posted by owlmug on April 19, 2011 at 6:08pm
view owlmug's profile

Neat

posted by gb on April 19, 2011 at 6:21pm
view gb's profile

I lived in an A-frame once, a long time ago. There were lofts and a catwalk and it all reminded me of a tree house. It was one of my favorites of all time.

posted by Lilah on April 19, 2011 at 6:46pm
view Lilah's profile

Yep, you have a point - sort of. While I'm taking everyone's comments into consideration and looking at this space not just as a cool building but a challenging one, it's clear that it's challenging not because its small, but because it's oddly shaped.

Maybe we need another contest called "Weird/Challenging 2011"?

Or maybe the size limit needs to be lowered? But then we'd miss so many cool places. Ugh, okay. I'm torturing this point.

Julia, either way, your house is DROP DEAD GORGEOUS.

posted by cvgmiami on April 19, 2011 at 7:06pm
view cvgmiami's profile

Again, love it...but it seems odd to include a house, complete with a pic of the outside of the house, in an apartment design contest. Makes the cutoff square footage wise, but seems like the house structure and setting is having an influence on people here. I love the outside of the italianate villa that my 960 sq ft condo is in, but I can't imagine including a pic of it in this contest. To each his own. Favorite away people.

posted by ok on April 19, 2011 at 7:25pm
view ok's profile

you have my vote - you had me at the first photo! well done.

posted by taxidriver on April 19, 2011 at 7:26pm
view taxidriver's profile

@Ahab
Thanks for your comments. The contest is about Small Homes, it doesn't say that they have to be apartments only. If I lived in an apartment I probably wouldn't include the exterior because it's not entirely my space. But there are many people that choose to live in a single standing, small home and this contest is about making a small space a home. All images were accepted and approved by the AT staff, so it's a legit entry.

posted by brabecova on April 19, 2011 at 7:40pm
view brabecova's profile

Go for the gold Julia! Your place is awesome!

posted by Adam Pogue on April 19, 2011 at 7:53pm
view Adam Pogue's profile

can I live here?

posted by sweethomesweet on April 19, 2011 at 7:55pm
view sweethomesweet's profile

Love this adorable A-frame. Can I move in? haha.

posted by michpc on April 19, 2011 at 9:02pm
view michpc's profile

LOVE! J'ADORE! Makes me want to cry- because i'm so damn envious.

posted by melissacj on April 19, 2011 at 9:48pm
view melissacj's profile

Amazing feeling of being like a bird in Nature and totally intune to what the Mother speaks.
Thank you

posted by TheWomanConservancy on April 19, 2011 at 11:16pm
view TheWomanConservancy's profile

Gorgeous and yes, lovely bedding! I would love to live in this house! I wouldn't feel too bad about not being able to use as much vertical space because the structure/architectural features are so great, you don't need a lot on your walls. On the top level, you could do the fantastic pendant light because of the height, it may not have worked in a non a frame environment. The comments about the size are interesting, there are many entries that are lofts with high ceilings that don't result in that type of reaction.

posted by mauishopgirl on April 20, 2011 at 12:25am
view mauishopgirl's profile

What a great inspiration! Where did you get your lovely pillows?

posted by temblor on April 20, 2011 at 12:31am
view temblor's profile

if you don't think this entry fulfills the criteria of the competition why comment on it? take it up with the creators of the competition. there are different categories of "space" + this is where julia's entry is deemed to be appropriate by the creators.

julia, i really liked the use of the space as i've never been in/lived in an A-line home. i would love to wake up to an environment like this!

you have my vote, goodluck.

posted by timsim7 on April 20, 2011 at 4:59am
view timsim7's profile

Great use of pretty awkward space (and much more interesting than Ikea inside of a white box). Who needs wall art when you have that view into the woods!!!! Great job!

posted by elle31 on April 20, 2011 at 5:17am
view elle31's profile

You are living in my dream:)

posted by Danielia on April 20, 2011 at 6:53am
view Danielia's profile

absolutely beautiful!!!!

posted by sophie8166 on April 20, 2011 at 10:02am
view sophie8166's profile

I too live in an A-frame. I think we should start a "club":) Hanging art work is definitely a challenge. I've become a BIG fan of Command strips- anchor the frame at top, and put the strip on bottom. You'll have to let me know how to photoshop the light into my house as well:)D

posted by aframelover on April 20, 2011 at 11:21am
view aframelover's profile

Reminds me of the tons of A-frames you see up at our local ski resort - Big Bear Lake, CA. Never thought one would or could look this great on the inside!!

Someone else already asked, but where'd you get that amazing lighting fixture over the bed?

posted by VictoriaOC on April 20, 2011 at 2:26pm
view VictoriaOC's profile

I have always loved A-frames, and yours is really fantastic! Must be a wonderful place to wake up!

posted by D2 pad on April 20, 2011 at 3:51pm
view D2 pad's profile

Yay, New Hampshire!! Love it! I want a house just like this! :)

posted by craftyhealthnut on April 20, 2011 at 2:50pm
view craftyhealthnut's profile

Omigosh, who wouldn't want to live here? Heaven!

posted by Halo Hill on April 20, 2011 at 3:20pm
view Halo Hill's profile

Love it, especially the hanging ceiling light. Is it made of wood strips? I owned a double A frame house for many years and an A frame trailer! The shape makes everything fun or difficult, depending on one's perspective.

posted by scfonta on April 20, 2011 at 3:35pm
view scfonta's profile

My dream house. All the teeny entries are what inspires me for my tiny city studio, but this is what I long for upon retirement :)

posted by ProfKD on April 20, 2011 at 4:04pm
view ProfKD's profile

cvgmiami: "It's clear that it's challenging not because its small, but because it's oddly shaped."

Or it's challenging because it's both, if you believe the AT criteria for small ;) Personally, I would agree that 1000sqft is by no means a small space... but I don't make the rules, and frankly, 980sqft lofts with 18-foot ceilings seem to me far more out of place in this competition.

But I would definitely support and enjoy "Weird spaces 2011"!

posted by fleo on April 20, 2011 at 4:05pm
view fleo's profile

Gorgeous!

posted by olderworker on April 20, 2011 at 6:33pm
view olderworker's profile

re: lamp inquiry.
The lamp I bought at the Garnet Hill outlet store.

posted by brabecova on April 20, 2011 at 4:23pm
view brabecova's profile

Wow! You are getting a vote almost every second. What's your secret?

posted by ciro on April 20, 2011 at 5:37pm
view ciro's profile

I thought about the great architecture when I cast my vote, but then I looked at what she did with the space. The balance of natural wood and modern. The way the oblong rectangle is repeated throughout, from the exterior or the building to the windows, to the red tile in the bathroom to the shape of the sofa to the lampshade. Well done.

posted by rosymamacita on April 20, 2011 at 5:48pm
view rosymamacita's profile

This is a very cool house. I love the views, and that I can almost imagine seeing through the house. It seems to be very space efficient, even with some "lost space". I do think you can get some creative seasonal storage out of the lost spaces though.

The lounge area looks a bit large, for my taste. I would have liked to see a dining area somewhere.

Overall, it's really cool. It reminds me of my grandparent's cabin.

posted by HandmadeKatie on April 20, 2011 at 5:49pm
view HandmadeKatie's profile

I joined just so I could vote for this house! As other posters already said, it's not just the cool architecture but clearly what she's done with the place. The rules do not state that the entries must be apartment- or condo-dwellers.

posted by chrissherri on April 20, 2011 at 6:31pm
view chrissherri's profile

Love A frames. They are interesting structures that require creative solutions to small and strangely shaped spaces. I think Julia has done a beautiful job.

posted by chrisdy on April 20, 2011 at 6:55pm
view chrisdy's profile

Awh, I grew up in an A-frame house in New Hampshire!! So this really, truly feels like home to me. What a wonderful feeling! :)

posted by houseworking on April 20, 2011 at 8:12pm
view houseworking's profile

I like everything about your home. The setting is particularly appealing. Lucky you!

posted by MEBJohnson on April 20, 2011 at 8:36pm
view MEBJohnson's profile

Love it! Love everything about it! The textures and colors...all beautiful!

posted by McE on April 20, 2011 at 11:06pm
view McE's profile

Sweet treat in form f this space can't get any better! Love the use of space . Perfection to the T or P for that matter of fact!Great space!

posted by zorajuranova on April 20, 2011 at 9:59pm
view zorajuranova's profile

I registered just to vote. I love A frame houses and it's so great to see such a nice one!

posted by q23wk on April 20, 2011 at 11:24pm
view q23wk's profile

Lovely place. But it's not so great that you should have this many votes two days after entering. Something's up with the votes. You entered just yesterday and you've blown past gorgeous entries who have been here for weeks. 681 votes at nearly one per minute at 1am. Yeah right. It'll be interesting to pull the IP addresses of all the people voting. Could it be that that the majority of them are coming from the same location?

Thanks for being such a good sport.

posted by blue adidas on April 21, 2011 at 12:55am
view blue adidas's profile

Wow what a rude comment above! First of all people are voting for this because it's awesome and unique. I signed up on here just to vote for this entry. Secondly have you ever heard of time zones? It is late here on the west coast.

posted by mailmannn on April 21, 2011 at 1:43am
view mailmannn's profile

By the way if anything is suspicious it's the leader of this division. He generates votes exactly as needed to stay on top, it seems.

posted by mailmannn on April 21, 2011 at 1:49am
view mailmannn's profile

Blue Adidas: Maybe Julia is the CEO of Garnet Hill and made all her employees vote for her.

mailmann: Obviously he's too shy to have a social network.

posted by Lilly3 on April 21, 2011 at 5:31am
view Lilly3's profile

I've been amazed at what inspirational design and a strong social network can generate over the past few days. Such wonderful and kind comments, thank you all for your support and votes. It saddens me that a few false accusations can tarnish the fun we're having in this contest. No tricks, nothing to hide (feel free to look into those IP addresses). Finally, although flattering, no I'm not the CEO of Garnet Hill. His house is amazing, though slightly larger than 1000sf.

posted by brabecova on April 21, 2011 at 10:14am
view brabecova's profile

HOW DID YOU GET THIS HOUSE, PLEASE?

posted by nato on April 21, 2011 at 4:03pm
view nato's profile

Nato
Nothing out of the ordinary -- I saw it listed, viewed with the realtor, made a bid, bid accepted, sold. Then did a lot of work on it.

posted by brabecova on April 21, 2011 at 5:57pm
view brabecova's profile

click, click....click,click....click

You are a SURE winner. Timing is everything.
click..click.................click

posted by Artist8 on April 21, 2011 at 8:08pm
view Artist8's profile

Sorry, Julia, I was kidding (after being up all night). It is no wonder that the beauty of your home is much admired.

posted by Lilly3 on April 21, 2011 at 11:50pm
view Lilly3's profile

Great space, cool mid century vibe and I love the view of the woods out of the bedroom window. cool

posted by dillonliving on April 22, 2011 at 9:02am
view dillonliving's profile

Julia, This is my 2nd comment...I just have to say, living in NH, I'm actually talking to my husband about selling our cape and buying a small piece of land in the middle of nowhere...and duplicating your home! I would love to know if a home like this could run off of solar power...And also, do you have a basement or is it built on a slab?

posted by craftyhealthnut on April 22, 2011 at 10:40am

Very cool house! I think she's getting a lot of votes because bloggers are blogging about this entry. I don't visit AT everyday. I came over here via 2 blogs that linked to her entry.

posted by blissladybug on April 22, 2011 at 2:00pm
view blissladybug's profile

Blissladybug
I'd love to know which blogs have picked this up?
Thanks, Julia

posted by brabecova on April 22, 2011 at 2:57pm
view brabecova's profile

craftyhealthnut
My house is on a slab, built in 1961 so unfortunately not a heated slab. But if you built on a slab I'd recommend putting radiant heat in, so toasty in the winter. As far a solar -- I'm no expert, I'm sure there are many ways to make solar work in a northern climate, but you may need a back up generator in winter since light is limited. Worth researching if you're building there are a lot of green options out there that may not require you to be on the grid. I have a fireplace which keeps the main level pretty warm through the winter, and back up electric. The house is small so relatively efficient.

posted by brabecova on April 22, 2011 at 3:02pm
view brabecova's profile

I love this little house and signed up just to vote for it. I had a similar little chalet in Bartlett NH and know Bethlehem well- beautiful town. Nice job!
Oh, and I came across it on a blog- Making it lovely - that I follow. No weird vote here:)

posted by griffy on April 22, 2011 at 6:23pm
view griffy's profile

love the use of color and want to roll around on your living room carpet... it looks so soft!

posted by emilynicole on April 22, 2011 at 9:54pm
view emilynicole's profile

So, this challenge is about making small spaces beautiful not who has the coolest small space....well, this space wins on both counts! Have you ever been in an A frame? Although big windows front and back...no side windows - to create a light, airy and spacious looking living area in an A Frame really takes creativity and a sharp eye! You got it Julia!

posted by Katrine the yoga teacher on April 26, 2011 at 9:45am
view Katrine the yoga teacher's profile

Thanks for all your votes and support!

Julia

posted by brabecova on May 4, 2011 at 3:35pm
view brabecova's profile

I love your house, wish I could be there.

posted by algene mueller on April 26, 2011 at 6:07pm
view algene mueller's profile

Thanks, Julia for your response! Radiant heat is a fabulous idea.

As for the rude accusation about the number of votes...that's ridiculous. You can only vote once from one IP address (I know this because every time I visit this article, it's noted that I've already added it to my favorites). Might it be because it was (rightfully) featured in the AT email blast that goes out? I know I normally don't vote here on AT but when I saw the email featuring the picture of this beautiful house, I had to click on over and I said "heck yes" when I saw the vote button...I bet that's simply what's happening and good for Julia that it is! She's done an amazing job!

posted by craftyhealthnut on April 27, 2011 at 11:24am

go girl! hope we get a full on home tour one day. best of luck!

posted by artist girl on May 2, 2011 at 1:27pm
view artist girl's profile

I love it!!!

posted by VickySoy on April 29, 2011 at 3:47pm
view VickySoy's profile

crafthealtnut: It's not true that you can only vote once from one IP address. You can only vote once from one account, but you can register as many accounts as you want from a single IP address. So you can vote hundreds of times from on IP. I am not saying Julia did that, I do not believe she did; however, there are others who have done it a lot, and are in fact leading their divisions.

posted by anodnnanaan on April 29, 2011 at 7:39pm
view anodnnanaan's profile

I love your place, Julia. My mother lived in a cozy a-frame for many years and there are some similarities with yours. But I am wondering--where is the washer and dryer?

posted by tricotbelle on April 29, 2011 at 11:39pm
view tricotbelle's profile

Tricotbelle:
The washer and dryer are in the kitchen, tucked under the counter next to the fridge. You can see them in the photo. The washer is a top loader, so when I re-designed the kitchen I put a piano hinge into the countertop that lifts to access and load the washer. Another clever space saver that came with the house is a toaster that is built into the wall and pulls out when you need to use it.

posted by brabecova on April 29, 2011 at 11:47pm
view brabecova's profile

It is an overused word. But this is
stunning.

posted by lauraprescott on April 30, 2011 at 12:45am
view lauraprescott's profile

Favorite entry of the entire contest...I want to move in!

posted by NRenee on April 30, 2011 at 8:48pm
view NRenee's profile

@anodnnanaan - you are correct. you can vote more than once from the same IP as long as you use different AT accounts.

posted by TestingtheSystem on April 30, 2011 at 10:47pm
view TestingtheSystem's profile

Thanks to you all who have "favorited" my space and who have been so lovely and supportive in your comments!

posted by brabecova on May 1, 2011 at 12:13am
view brabecova's profile

gorgeous! i wanna come and stay and have tea next to that lovely view of the trees! be well --juliescottsallylivi

posted by julienewmexico on May 2, 2011 at 12:24pm
view julienewmexico's profile

Congratulations Julia, Your place is amazing. Good luck in the finals, Its gonna be tough against your awesome A-frame!

-Alex

posted by Johnnydangerously on May 2, 2011 at 12:51pm
view Johnnydangerously's profile

Amazing house, I remembered it from the Readymade feature and got so excited to see it pop up on here!! You've got my vote not only for your great place, but for your patience and responsiveness in the comments:)

posted by NitaDC on May 2, 2011 at 1:15pm
view NitaDC's profile

Love everything about this place!

posted by K Marie on May 2, 2011 at 1:16pm
view K Marie's profile

Love it so much, we're thinking about pocketing an A-Frame ourselves and tucking it in between some mountains outside Nome, Alaska! Vivid, lovely, inspiring, delicious.
YUM! Good luck. You got my vote... hands down.

posted by kikijean on May 2, 2011 at 1:24pm
view kikijean's profile

As a former owner of an A-frame house, I can appreciate the challenges the design presents, and believe me, this house is a charmer. As a resident of NH, I also appreciate your location. Bethlehem is a beautiful town north of the White Mountains. You have done an outstanding job decorating your space, and although you cannot hang pictures on the walls, how about textiles. I hung quilts when I had that challenge. Good job.

posted by gb on May 2, 2011 at 1:34pm
view gb's profile

this house is awesome! How long have you lived there for? Good luck in the competition, you got my vote!
-a

posted by Kroninberger on May 2, 2011 at 2:06pm
view Kroninberger's profile

Congratulations Julia. You have a lovely home and I am nor surprised you made it to the finals!

I love your place, full of outdoors in!! i could spend my life in a place like yours, specially reading in your living room. Best of lucks on the final strech!!

Sonia

posted by Sonia G on May 2, 2011 at 8:37pm
view Sonia G's profile

Oh the red accent tiles are awesome!!
I mean, just the whole place. I'd kill for views like that... Cities, they're such a love hate relationship.

posted by ThirdGlassEye_ on May 3, 2011 at 12:17am
view ThirdGlassEye_'s profile

I love your place. In the 2nd shot, it looks like the furniture is floating...I guess an effect of the lighting when the shot was taken...kinda cool.

posted by Fordify on May 4, 2011 at 5:06am
view Fordify's profile

So fantastic - you have an amazing home!!

posted by BorrowedAbode on May 4, 2011 at 2:02pm
view BorrowedAbode's profile

THIS Deserves to win. This is the best small cool space not in just this year's competition, but in the entire history of the Small Cool Competition.
bravo.
Love Love Love.

posted by redbeard on May 4, 2011 at 3:37pm
view redbeard's profile

i voted for this one as finalist. the other 3 looked exactly alike. while not at all my style, it's a neat little house.

i'm surprised that for all the use of zig zags throughout this competition, none of them made it to the finals. funny.

posted by charlenemcbride on May 5, 2011 at 8:02am
view charlenemcbride's profile

i voted for this one as finalist. the other 3 looked exactly alike. while not at all my style, it's a neat little house.

i'm surprised that for all the use of zig zags throughout this competition, none of them made it to the finals. funny.

posted by charlenemcbride on May 5, 2011 at 8:03am
view charlenemcbride's profile

This house is fantastic. It shows the personality of the owner and her ability to work with the houses charms (and quirks). I live in a bungalow and have the same issue with angled walls and ceilings. It makes for some interesting design solutions. I love the turquoise and red in the front. Would love to see more pics. Well done.

posted by susanfireside on May 7, 2011 at 11:48am
view susanfireside's profile

Your home is absolutely smashing and while I like the other three apartments, your home is something different. Plus, I'm an outdoorsy girl, so I'd absolutely love to live in your place! I especially love the light, the kitchen back splash, and the sofa. You've got my vote, Julia!

posted by Shaunta Harris on May 7, 2011 at 7:12pm
view Shaunta Harris's profile

Absolutely the top. I agree with the commenter who noted that the other three look exactly alike.

posted by laughing_friend on May 8, 2011 at 10:07am
view laughing_friend's profile

Thanks for your votes and comments, only one more day left, encourage your friends and family to vote too!

Julia

posted by brabecova on May 8, 2011 at 10:53am
view brabecova's profile

well, Ju, your A-Frame has to be the first one because it´s the best one (I only miss a goat asi I already mentioned. Vi:)

posted by vitezslav on May 8, 2011 at 11:26am
view vitezslav's profile

"A"-mazing Julia! Honestly, the design of the angled walls are art in and of themselves. I like them just the way you have kept them. My next cottage will be an A-Frame; practicality is overrated! Great job and thanks for sharing.

posted by JohnJnSD on May 8, 2011 at 11:36pm
view JohnJnSD's profile

It's been a great month of Small/Cool -- Thanks everyone for your votes, support, kind words etc.. Glad I was a part of it all.

Best
Julia

posted by brabecova on May 9, 2011 at 3:22pm
view brabecova's profile

Congratulations, Julia!

Where did you get your coffee table? Love it.

posted by Lisastow on May 11, 2011 at 8:46am
view Lisastow's profile

Great job Julia. Your place is just wonderful!

Darren

posted by D2 pad on May 12, 2011 at 1:00pm
view D2 pad's profile

Try skylights in the slanted wall of the kitchen and upstairs for summer ventilation.

posted by lil on May 17, 2011 at 9:22am
view lil's profile

Rather than bring wood across the living room, try a small wood door opposite the fireplace.

Just reach through the wood door and grab the wood as needed.

posted by lil on May 17, 2011 at 9:23am
view lil's profile

Bathroom space:

Rather than a storage area behind the stairway, enlarge the bathroom.
Add an under-counter combination washer/dryer.

Try a pedestal sink.
Store towels and a cosmetic basket on open shelving over the toilet.

While sitting in the shower, try a handheld shower nozzle.

posted by lil on May 17, 2011 at 9:17am
view lil's profile

Where is the lighting in the kitchen?
Is that a fireplace next to the fridge?

Try a dining room set “against” the large windows in the living room.
Place chairs on three sides of the table.

With under-counter appliances, try larger windows across the entire kitchen counter area.

Try a U-shaped kitchen design (clockwise):
Fridge, lower corner carousel cabinet, sink, dishwasher, lower corner carousel cabinet, stove.

One carousel cabinet is sufficient for stackable pans/dishes, weekly dry goods and utensil basket.

Use the old breakfast area as a kitchen island.

posted by lil on May 17, 2011 at 9:19am
view lil's profile

Space:

Replace paper, books, pictures, tv, stereo and alarm clock with a handheld computer.

Rather than an end table, bed stand or coffee table – try a floor lamp and tote bag for handy items.

Try pull-out storage baskets under a bed, couch or chair.
Baskets are easy to transport.

Try louver doors in the storage area upstairs.

Try coat hooks near the entry door.

posted by lil on May 17, 2011 at 9:24am
view lil's profile

I don't understand how the stairway coincides with the slanted ceiling -

Would a spiral staircase work well?

posted by lil on May 17, 2011 at 9:40am
view lil's profile

Try a dormered, arched window over the staircase.

posted by lil on May 17, 2011 at 9:44am
view lil's profile

I think I'd like to put my pillows at the foot of the bed - so that I could stare out the window.

posted by lil on May 17, 2011 at 9:55am
view lil's profile

To brighten, paint the dark paneling.

posted by lil on May 17, 2011 at 9:58am
view lil's profile

Try a large cutting board over an under-counter washer/dryer - it creates a convenient place to fold clothes.

posted by lil on May 17, 2011 at 10:47am
view lil's profile

Rather than a spare bedroom, try a futon couch for a sitting room.

posted by lil on May 17, 2011 at 10:53am
view lil's profile