Heidi & David's Surreal Square Footage

Name:

Heidi & David

Portland, Oregon

Division:

Small

Square Feet:

What I Love About My Home

After having lived in NYC for about 6 years, having double the square footage almost feels surreal... This place is triple the size of some of our apartments there and we still aren't really sure what to do with ourselves (someone pinch me!) We love everything about the space. The natural light, the open stairs, the airy nature and fact that it was a blank slate when we moved in. Almost EVERYTHING we have was either a hand-me-down, a craigslist or thrift store project, or something we made. We really love making something "OURS" just by adding a fresh coat of paint or some new drawer pulls.

Biggest Challenge in Furnishing My Home

Well, we've only been here about 2 weeks! So getting settled and finding really good deals on craigslist that were within our budget was a big challenge. David is a painter and I am a graphic designer, so we LOVE color, but also love that the white walls make everything so clean and bright.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (18)

Love the architecture of the building, the stairs and huge windows. I can't believe you've only been there for two weeks. Great job in the amount of time you had.

posted by Tracy333 on April 19, 2011 at 12:25pm
view Tracy333's profile

I love the kitchen, the windows and the colors, but what's up with the TV? Is it always off to the side like that?

posted by eise0100 on April 19, 2011 at 12:36pm
view eise0100's profile

I love the blue behind the bed!

posted by csc76 on April 19, 2011 at 12:45pm
view csc76's profile

Seriously - with just two weeks your apartment looks better than most people's do after two months!

posted by casey w on April 19, 2011 at 2:02pm
view casey w's profile

Thanks so much! I am a nester... Plus at this point we feel like professional movers. We moved 7 times in 5 years in NYC... always trying to find a bigger or better space for less money. We've gotten really efficient. The TV is angled so if we are sitting at the kitchen bar, we can still watch movies.

posted by HeidiJSloan on April 19, 2011 at 2:11pm
view HeidiJSloan's profile

Love your new place Heidi. You are so good with space and color and decor. Each place gets better and better. Good luck in the contest.

posted by hoppip on April 19, 2011 at 3:39pm
view hoppip's profile

The (large and ugly) heating and air conditioning unit is directly in front of the couch under the window. We are saving up for a storage unit that will be able to mask it better, as it's a bit of an eyesore right now. We have the TV angled for now so we can see it from the kitchen too.. The couch is actually a standard size sofa sleeper/futon from Ikea, so it easily fits 2 comfortably. A new couch and a bed frame are our next projects... only been here 2 weeks, so we're taking one project at a time, as the budget allows =)

posted by HeidiJSloan on April 19, 2011 at 5:20pm

Love the blue bedroom wall.

posted by thursday on April 19, 2011 at 8:11pm
view thursday's profile

The blue wall is Benjamin Moore, California Blue

posted by HeidiJSloan on April 19, 2011 at 8:31pm

Love the place.....hope you win

posted by Teri & Christopher Smolak on April 19, 2011 at 9:41pm
view Teri & Christopher Smolak's profile

How much do I love the raw wood pylons for the breakfast bar? A whole damn lot.

I also like the splashes of primary colour throughout the apartment, especially in the soft furnishings in the bedroom.

The couch is too small and the furniture placement seems a little random, but we'll mark that up to you only just having moved in.

posted by Blandwagon on April 19, 2011 at 11:18pm
view Blandwagon's profile

Hi! Great place, and much more 'lived-in' after two weeks than mine after four months!
Anyway, I'd like to ask: the carpet by the bed (we see just a bit of it), what type is it? I love it!

posted by Thea77 on April 20, 2011 at 1:46am
view Thea77's profile

2 weeks! i've been living in my house and im still working on 'settling in'

posted by illestwifey on April 20, 2011 at 3:09am
view illestwifey's profile

The rug is a Kilim rug. I believe it's either Turkish or Persian. We got it on ebay for around $70 and just love it. It does need a carpet pad underneath because it's pretty thin. It would also make a great wall hanging.

posted by HeidiJSloan on April 20, 2011 at 1:46pm

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills... please tell me you are going to do something about the kitchen island top? I can't be the only person who thinks it's beyond awful especially with the three blue floating cabinets? :(

Your stairs are a-mazing however. Beautiful and the fact that you even have any!! Awesome!

posted by MyDogistheShihTzu on April 20, 2011 at 2:40pm
view MyDogistheShihTzu's profile

A true lofted space....very cool layout. I love your kitchen, it doesn't look like you picked it out of a Home Depot Catalog and that's what I love about it! Stainless appliaces would kick it up a notch and add that industrial feel to the space.

posted by Eric811 on April 20, 2011 at 3:06pm
view Eric811's profile

shaping up great! i see the start of true potential for wow!

posted by queenyellowsun on April 21, 2011 at 3:25am
view queenyellowsun's profile

this is great! where in portland do you live, and do you like it? I am possibly moving there!

posted by cooptroop on June 2, 2011 at 2:35pm
view cooptroop's profile