Michael's Mini-Loft in Munich

Name:

Michael

Munich, Germany

Division:

International

Square Feet:

What I Love About My Home

My apartment is located on the top floor of a 6 storey building, directly under the roof. This means that I have ceiling heights ranging from >3 meters to 40 centimeters. It never feels cramped though - it is a combination of open space - almost like a mini-loft - and cozy small bedroom. I really like the dramatic sloping ceilings, interesting layout and the many windows that let in lots of light. Oh, and I also have a little tower room with a 7 meter high ceiling and windows on all sides - which is my favorite place to work in!

Biggest Challenge in Furnishing My Home

On paper, my apartment is approximately 790 square feet - but in reality it is much less because the sloping ceilings take away quite a bit of the floor space. It is also very difficult to find furniture that will fit! It took me almost 4 years to find pieces that will fit into the space and match my style. The very white and bright interior was a challenge but I try to balance it with warm wood pieces from Ikea, thrift stores and eBay and little trinkets from all over the world. This apartment enforces minimalism which I really like but sometimes find challenging ... I have to force myself to think really hard before bringing anything new into the place. And yes, I have hit my head more than once.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (18)

I really like how you used the window as a bookcase! Your dining room looks spacious although I suspect it must be a small space. very nice :)

posted by hotpaprika on April 22, 2011 at 8:27am
view hotpaprika's profile

Given the challenges of the architecture you have managed to make it a graceful, elegant, modern home. And visually, the intricacies of the sloping walls and cut-out windows give the apartment a lot of interest. I particalrly love the runner with the vase, it's a design magazine shot.

posted by cvgmiami on April 22, 2011 at 9:44am
view cvgmiami's profile

Beautiful, you've worked with your space so well

posted by lei on April 22, 2011 at 11:58am
view lei's profile

Wow! love the angles and you've worked everything in so well. Great job!

posted by Kacie3 on April 22, 2011 at 2:39pm
view Kacie3's profile

Very interesting space, and I love the overall feel. I'd like to see more photos though.

posted by MindShapedBox on April 22, 2011 at 2:46pm
view MindShapedBox's profile

Love this!!!

posted by lunazzurra on April 22, 2011 at 3:55pm
view lunazzurra's profile

This is gorgeous! The octagonal room with the diamond windows is especially cool.

posted by mandarinmarie on April 22, 2011 at 6:46pm
view mandarinmarie's profile

You've done a marvelous job working with the character of your place! I love the various angles, they are like modern art.

posted by robertspeg on April 22, 2011 at 6:37pm
view robertspeg's profile

That is really beautiful. Love the tower room.

posted by Sam I Am on April 22, 2011 at 10:28pm
view Sam I Am's profile

Your space is super cool! The angles make it so fun and interesting and you have been so creative!

posted by HandmadeKatie on April 22, 2011 at 11:37pm
view HandmadeKatie's profile

I lived in Munich years ago. Looking at your apartment makes me miss it.

posted by LaTonya234 on April 23, 2011 at 12:45am
view LaTonya234's profile

That must be the most ungrateful floor plan I've seen so far, bu you've actually managed to make it work in your favour, with all the slopes and unexpected walls blending with the space instead of interrupting it.

Also, indicating where were pictures taken from should earn you the title of World President in itself :D

posted by fleo on April 23, 2011 at 11:00am
view fleo's profile

Great job working with all those angles!
...wait a minute. My sister already made that comment. HI ELECTRICKATIE!
In that case, I absolutely love the use of that plum purple. I just got a bedspread with that color on it.

posted by bodicegoddess on April 25, 2011 at 1:55pm
view bodicegoddess's profile

I love the interesting architectural lines.

posted by Miko Love on April 26, 2011 at 5:09pm
view Miko Love's profile

Beautiful! I love the unusual angle of the dining room windows. Although the architectural lines look challenging, I also think they added to the beauty & interest of your space.

I love your green chair, can I have it? Please...

I love how you mixed mid century modern with some pieces that look almost asian to me (the low on the ground nightstands & ipad stool are very Japanese to me, the little thing in the second picture reminds me of a chinese steamer).

posted by mauishopgirl on April 28, 2011 at 4:07pm
view mauishopgirl's profile

Nice combination of colors and space.

posted by ANKL on April 29, 2011 at 6:13am
view ANKL's profile

A very well mixture of different Design areas in Industrial Design. Well done, and good managed space.

posted by Joe39 on April 29, 2011 at 1:03pm
view Joe39's profile

I really like your dining nook and the slanted windows but I personally wouldn't block out light with books.

I don't understand what room picture 2 is but it just looks like there is a bunch of wasted space there.

posted by House Voyeur on April 30, 2011 at 10:33pm
view House Voyeur's profile