Florence's Teeny-Tiny Footprint

Name:

Florence

San Diego, California

Division:

Teeny-Tiny

Square Feet:

What I Love About My Home

I love my small cool home because it's like living in a doll house. I was able to live there for less than $500 so I was able to save up! My apartment was energy efficient and in someways I felt that i was able to live more freely because i was able to really utilize all the nooks and crany and enjoy what's outside.

Biggest Challenge in Furnishing My Home

I would consider storage as my biggest challenge in living in my apartment. I am an artist and crafster so having the place to store materials was a bit tricky. The apartment had no built in storage so i had to be creative. Of course i wanted it to look like it fit perfectly in the space with out over crowding it. Eventually I went for Ikea's gorm storage system.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (36)

190 feet is a challenge indeed but if you ignore that, you could really (and defiantly) make this into a jewel box.

Suggestion: Play with that white brick wall. It's a blank canvas begging for something totally unexpected. A mural? A collection of thrift store art? A wildly bold color (Fuschia? Lime green?) or even a tapestry.

Your place is very cozy.

posted by cvgmiami on April 22, 2011 at 9:40am
view cvgmiami's profile

I agree with cvfmiami, the bedroom can we say is looking a little like "cellmate chic". I think it is really great what you have done with your teeny tiny space, but that wall is begging for some treatment. If you can't hang something on it because it is concrete, use some decal or stickers. Surely as a artist/craftsman can come up with something. Go bold.Be brave!

posted by her_royal_gr8ness on April 22, 2011 at 10:57am
view her_royal_gr8ness's profile

Its very cozy Florence =) and its yours =). Love the ideas of adding bright colors to the brick wall and some decals!

posted by chach on April 22, 2011 at 11:17am
view chach's profile

You have to get kudos just for wedging yourself into 190 square feet! I think you're on the right track in keeping everything simple and using bright colors to make your place cheerful. That said, you might want to use some inexpensive floor to ceiling curtains (think IKEA! or fabric store) to hide your boxes -- and perhaps on the cinderblock wall to soften the look (make it seem that there's a window behind it?). Call me crazy (you wouldn't be the first) but I think given your artistic bent, that twinkle lights would add some whimsy to the space, too!

posted by citipearl on April 22, 2011 at 11:46am
view citipearl's profile

I like it. I once lived in a place that is barely a little bigger than yours and couldn't made it more nicer than what you have done. Consider what others have suggested, play with colors more. It would make a huge impact in this place. =) good luck!

posted by pier723 on April 22, 2011 at 11:46am
view pier723's profile

Wow...190 sq. feet! That is tiny. I agree with the other reviewers if you add some color to the wall of your bed area it will look less like a jail cell. ;) Bravo in living in such a small space though.

posted by Tracy333 on April 22, 2011 at 12:19pm
view Tracy333's profile

Love the dining chairs and bright-coloured bedding and what you've done with the tiny kitchen! Regarding storage, I would personally raise the bed and use the space underneath.

posted by owlmug on April 22, 2011 at 1:29pm
view owlmug's profile

You get my vote just for being able to live in a space that small. I've stayed in hotel rooms bigger then that!!

I like the kitchen - including the guitar just peaking in.

posted by MoMoo on April 22, 2011 at 3:37pm
view MoMoo's profile

@her_royal_gr8ness: "Cellmate chic" - HAHAHA! I was thinking Juvy Hall but Cellmate Chic sounds so much more sophisticated

posted by Chilena con Carnage on April 22, 2011 at 8:21pm
view Chilena con Carnage's profile

Fabulous!

posted by lee66 on April 22, 2011 at 9:14pm
view lee66's profile

All that wasted vertical space in the bedroom! I agree with owlmug, a loft bed would be so useful in there!

An over the toilet shelf cabinet storage thing would be great, giving you some more desperately needed storage.

I agree with citipearl about doing something to hide the boxes.

Great job on making such a tiny space livable! :)

posted by Sam I Am on April 22, 2011 at 10:22pm
view Sam I Am's profile

Apparently, an over the toilet shelf cabinet storage thing is properly called an "étagère".

posted by Sam I Am on April 22, 2011 at 11:02pm
view Sam I Am's profile

@cvgmiami, you last comment is why there are several categories in the contest. I really agree with your first comment, though.

Florence, I applaud the fact that you are making such a small space work for you, and I really like the color that you have brought in with your bed and your chairs, but I feel that your space isn't very finished. It seems too overwhelmed with plastic tubs and the cinderblock wall. A few shelves in the bathroom and your creativity could make your place really fabulous.

posted by Gaidig on April 23, 2011 at 1:27pm
view Gaidig's profile

The bright yellow table and chairs were a very smart buy. Why not contrast it with a dark green plant? A hanging Pothos would do well in a low light situation and it's very inexpensive too.

I would love to see what you would do with the Best Buy gift card and Benjamin Moore Paint if you won.

posted by Carolyn in Cambridge on April 23, 2011 at 10:16am
view Carolyn in Cambridge's profile

Carolyn in Cambridge (who has the most beautiful name in the world, hehe) has a point. The prize should go to someone like this who has a truly small space, great taste and a space with potential. It would be much more interesting to see what Florence can do with this "doll house" than somebody with 999 sf who has invested tons on slick interiors. Florcence, I hope you win. That would really validate the spirit of this contest.

FLO-RENCE! FLO-RENCE! FLO-RENCE!

posted by cvgmiami on April 23, 2011 at 12:20pm
view cvgmiami's profile

Vote for Florence. This is my favorite entry so far!

posted by goofybuddha on April 23, 2011 at 3:04pm
view goofybuddha's profile

I have to just give praise for making the choice to be extreme. Living in a tiny space to save, to be efficient, and being part of smallcool to be a role model for those of us who are packrat artists, makes you super cool in my book.

posted by inlandbeachhouse on April 23, 2011 at 11:43pm
view inlandbeachhouse's profile

I forgot to mention that In renting this place out and one of the main rules is that I cannot paint or hang anything on the walls ( no nails, screws etc.) so decorating was a definite challenge! But i'm so happy to see my teeny apartment on here! I'm such a fan of APARTMENT THERAPY!
XOXOXO!!!! - FLORENCE from San Diego

posted by Flopatch on April 24, 2011 at 4:44am
view Flopatch's profile

What a sweet, tiny little Gem! Everything is so well placed. Looks completely functional and charming. Based on the fact that no nails, screws or even painting were allowed, I think you worked well with the space you were in. The coolest thus far!

posted by Diana Dide on April 24, 2011 at 11:16am
view Diana Dide's profile

high walls and few/nil windows - you are very clever to have made the place look so fine. =) moving into my own 190 soon... HOPE I CAN SURVIVE!! (esp coming from someone who has STUFF, haha...) GOODLUCK for the contest!

posted by JulianneMay on April 24, 2011 at 4:22pm
view JulianneMay's profile

Check out the Command line of adhesive hooks and hangers for hanging things without damage. :)

posted by Sam I Am on April 24, 2011 at 4:23pm
view Sam I Am's profile

The color of the brick, the size and the storage reminds me of the army barracks I used to stay in while visiting an ex-boyfriend. I could never do it. Congrats on your perseverance!

posted by highondesign on April 24, 2011 at 8:43pm
view highondesign's profile

Florence! You're no longer in last place! Given enough time, I think you would rise all the way to first place.

So sorry to read that your landlord won't let you paint or hang things on the wall. I'm not feeling any love there. Hope you're feeling love here. We're in your corner.

posted by Carolyn in Cambridge on April 25, 2011 at 2:59pm
view Carolyn in Cambridge's profile

Florence, if you feel like decorating the brick wall, here's a site that makes amazing "decals" that adhere with static and come right off - ideal for renters. You've done great things with your small place, now indulge the rest of us and go to town with that wall!

www.whatisblik.com

posted by cvgmiami on April 25, 2011 at 6:59pm
view cvgmiami's profile

Florence, you are so sweet! It was the same deal in the dorm I stayed in for my first year of university. Sticky tacks were definitely the way to go.

posted by owlmug on April 26, 2011 at 2:25pm
view owlmug's profile

I think you've done really well to make such a tiny space functional.

posted by Miko Love on April 26, 2011 at 5:09pm
view Miko Love's profile

Its the most cheerful MASH style bunker I've ever seen

posted by mesosavvy on April 27, 2011 at 12:08pm
view mesosavvy's profile

I don't care how you styled your apartment, just the fact that you live in 190 square feet makes you full of win!

posted by Steve_from_DesignBlog on April 27, 2011 at 4:08pm
view Steve_from_DesignBlog's profile

I'd love to see a large wall decal on the big brick wall. It would also be great to see you decorate the boxes of storage since they double as decor. Other than that, you're on the right track.

posted by qtcrondesign on April 28, 2011 at 9:22am
view qtcrondesign's profile

PS Wall decals would probably be allowed because they peel right off when you're done with the apartment...a perfect sollution for you.

posted by qtcrondesign on April 28, 2011 at 9:24am
view qtcrondesign's profile

Given the size and the limitations, I am impressed with how well you've done.

I feel your pain about the walls. Maybe you could use adhesive hooks to hang fabric along that back wall.

posted by mollyfields on April 29, 2011 at 4:51pm
view mollyfields's profile

I really like those dining room chairs. cute place. I agee with the decals idea.

Your kitchen is so adorable and you styled it well. I think it looks great as is but I wonder what it would look like with some bright color on the walls. Oh maybe you said you aren't allowed to paint. oh well.

posted by House Voyeur on April 30, 2011 at 10:28pm
view House Voyeur's profile

3M picture hanging strips are perfect for hanging things, they suprisingly hold a lot of weight and are really easy use and reposition.

My walls are plaster and I quickly realized I would destroy them using nails.

posted by kingm62 on May 1, 2011 at 11:18am
view kingm62's profile

Rather than stare at a kitchen, place the bed opposite the entry window.
For spaciousness, store everything away.

Store wardrobe and crafts in pull-out baskets under a daybed or futon couch.
Baskets are easy to transport – such as when going to the laundry mat.

Try a pretty quilt and matching pillowcases.
Store blankets in pillowcases.

3 tops x 3 bottoms = 9 outfits
Try one pair of dress shoes, sneakers and boots – or go barefoot.

Iron clothes on a towel over the kitchen counter.
Rather than hangers, iron an outfit and wear it.

Rather than a table and chairs, sit on the daybed.
Eat/entertain with your plate in your lap.
Learn to do crafts on a tray in your lap.
For writing, try a clipboard.
Replace paper, books, tv, a stereo, alarm clock, etc with a handheld computer.

Finish a craft and give it away before buying supplies for the next craft.

Store handy items in a tote bag.
Store a tote bag on a door knob.

posted by lil on May 18, 2011 at 2:00pm
view lil's profile

Cover the lower kitchen cupboards with a set of curtains.
Two curtains create an opening to reach inside.

For additional counter space, try a large cutting board over the sink.
Try a collection of one-pot recipes. Store a portable stovetop when not in use.
Store stackable pans/dishes, weekly dry goods and an eating/cooking utensil basket.

A plate, bowl, mug, spoon, fork and large knife may be sufficient.
Use a pot as a mixing bowl, spoon or mug to measure, fork to whisk, mug as a ladle.

Dry dishes on a towel.
Rather than a hanging dishrack, try a large picture of a beautiful outdoor scene.
Rest the bottom of the picture frame on the counter top.

posted by lil on May 18, 2011 at 2:01pm
view lil's profile

Rest a cabinet of open narrow shelving on the back of the toilet.
Fold or roll towels to fit on the shelving.
Store cosmetic baskets on the shelving – they’re easy to transport to the sink.
Dry a towel over a shower curtain rod.

posted by lil on May 18, 2011 at 2:02pm
view lil's profile