Laura's Little Home

Name:

Laura

Minneapolis, Minnesota

Division:

Little

Square Feet:

What I Love About My Home

I love my huge bedroom and walk-in closet. I love that I've been able to find great furniture and accessories through friends and craigslist. I love my balcony.

Biggest Challenge in Furnishing My Home

I need a work space, but really don't want to have it in my bedroom. I needed to be able to organize my primary living space to accommodate a living room, dining room, and office space. I'm not in love with what I came up with, but it's working for me for now. I also live in a condo, which is NOT conducive to character. I do my best to make this space reflect my aesthetic.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (15)

I think the desk and the bookshelf are not showing on the floorplan.

posted by mauishopgirl on April 21, 2011 at 9:35pm
view mauishopgirl's profile

Love the picture above the food dishes! So cute :)

Also, it looks so big! I had to double check the size when I got to the bedroom picture.

posted by Sarah Wilson on April 21, 2011 at 8:59am
view Sarah Wilson's profile

The color you've chosen for the walls is very pretty - do you mind sharing the color/brand?

posted by LisaF on April 21, 2011 at 2:19pm
view LisaF's profile

So serene and peaceful! I have some suggestions for your office dilemma. Move the dining set by the balcony, the desk where the bookshelf is, find a new spot for the bookshelf. I used to live in a condo where many people put the their tables by the big windows instead of the kitchen so they could enjoy the sunset/sunrise while eating.

Or.... if there is enough room, create a separation by the desk with cubitec shelving or similar.

I have a very similar sized space and had some of the same challenges as you, I have one large space split in two by a long narrow walk in closet. So I had a large sleeping area. I ended up putting my desk in my sleeping area but I decorated that corner of the room so it feels like a separate room with art, a rug & accessories. I also keep all bill files, backup drive that flashes all night long and other office supplies (anything that could prevent restful sleep) in the living area just a few steps away in easy to carry containers when needed. So all you see in the bedroom is a very pretty, feminine corner with a nice vintage desk, a chrome stapler and a computer.

posted by mauishopgirl on April 21, 2011 at 8:46pm
view mauishopgirl's profile

The floor plan is different than the home right? Or is it just me?

posted by CraigslistDecorator on April 21, 2011 at 9:07pm
view CraigslistDecorator's profile

I love your dining area. The bookcase looks very nice, and I like the retro feel of the dining set.

posted by Florida Joyce on April 21, 2011 at 9:11pm
view Florida Joyce's profile

Anybody that would use a picture to show their pet(s)'s feeding station would get my vote even if I didn't care for the home. In this case, I like the home and the sentiment!

posted by williamsweyr on April 21, 2011 at 10:14pm
view williamsweyr's profile

perfect cat food dishes and the framed pic!!!!

posted by burcuayaz1 on April 22, 2011 at 3:19am
view burcuayaz1's profile

Hi! This is Laura. Thanks for all the positive feed back.

@CraigslistDecorator: yes, the floor plan is actually the mirror image of my unit. I copied it directly from the condo website. They didn't have my unit exactly in my orientation.

@LisaF: the LR walls are Behr Stone Fence (don't tell sponsors Benjamin Moore). The bedroom is also Behr, Sage Gray.

posted by LA0811 on April 22, 2011 at 11:31am
view LA0811's profile

What desk chair is that?

posted by Greyhound on April 22, 2011 at 12:43pm
view Greyhound's profile

"One of my favorite things is my walk in closet, but I'm not going to show it to you."

Tease.

;)

posted by MyDogistheShihTzu on April 22, 2011 at 3:17pm
view MyDogistheShihTzu's profile

Love the space and layout.

posted by Ofelia on April 25, 2011 at 6:25pm
view Ofelia's profile

where is that couch from? i love it!!

posted by Minneapolis apartments on April 26, 2011 at 2:56pm
view Minneapolis apartments's profile

@MyDogistheShihTzu: I thought about that. One of the greatest things about a walk-in closet is that you can shove everything that makes your place un-picture-worthy in said closet. Makes closet un-picture-worthy.

@Minneapolis apartment: The couch is originally from Ikea (Kramfors). They don't make it anymore, but this size and the full-size pop up on CL a lot. That's where I got this one.

posted by LA0811 on April 27, 2011 at 4:17pm
view LA0811's profile

@Greyhound: the chair is an old Steelcase work chair a friend got for me when his office upgraded, and auctioned all the 60s/70s era furniture. It's really comfortable. Unfortunately, super comfortable for cat, too, so have to keep lint brush nearby at all times.

posted by LA0811 on April 27, 2011 at 4:21pm
view LA0811's profile