« Back

Laura's Little Home

Minneapolis, Minnesota

Square Feet:

What I Love About My Home

I love my huge bedroom and walk-in closet. I love that I've been able to find great furniture and accessories through friends and craigslist. I love my balcony.

Biggest Challenge in Furnishing My Home

I need a work space, but really don't want to have it in my bedroom. I needed to be able to organize my primary living space to accommodate a living room, dining room, and office space. I'm not in love with what I came up with, but it's working for me for now. I also live in a condo, which is NOT conducive to character. I do my best to make this space reflect my aesthetic.

Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (15)

I think the desk and the bookshelf are not showing on the floorplan.

posted by mauishopgirl on April 21, 2011 at 9:35pm
view mauishopgirl's profile

Love the picture above the food dishes! So cute :)

Also, it looks so big! I had to double check the size when I got to the bedroom picture.

posted by Sarah Wilson on April 21, 2011 at 8:59am
view Sarah Wilson's profile

The color you've chosen for the walls is very pretty - do you mind sharing the color/brand?

posted by LisaF on April 21, 2011 at 2:19pm
view LisaF's profile

So serene and peaceful! I have some suggestions for your office dilemma. Move the dining set by the balcony, the desk where the bookshelf is, find a new spot for the bookshelf. I used to live in a condo where many people put the their tables by the big windows instead of the kitchen so they could enjoy the sunset/sunrise while eating.

Or.... if there is enough room, create a separation by the desk with cubitec shelving or similar.

I have a very similar sized space and had some of the same challenges as you, I have one large space split in two by a long narrow walk in closet. So I had a large sleeping area. I ended up putting my desk in my sleeping area but I decorated that corner of the room so it feels like a separate room with art, a rug & accessories. I also keep all bill files, backup drive that flashes all night long and other office supplies (anything that could prevent restful sleep) in the living area just a few steps away in easy to carry containers when needed. So all you see in the bedroom is a very pretty, feminine corner with a nice vintage desk, a chrome stapler and a computer.

posted by mauishopgirl on April 21, 2011 at 8:46pm
view mauishopgirl's profile

The floor plan is different than the home right? Or is it just me?

posted by CraigslistDecorator on April 21, 2011 at 9:07pm
view CraigslistDecorator's profile

I love your dining area. The bookcase looks very nice, and I like the retro feel of the dining set.

posted by Florida Joyce on April 21, 2011 at 9:11pm
view Florida Joyce's profile

Anybody that would use a picture to show their pet(s)'s feeding station would get my vote even if I didn't care for the home. In this case, I like the home and the sentiment!

posted by williamsweyr on April 21, 2011 at 10:14pm
view williamsweyr's profile

perfect cat food dishes and the framed pic!!!!

posted by burcuayaz1 on April 22, 2011 at 3:19am
view burcuayaz1's profile

Hi! This is Laura. Thanks for all the positive feed back.

@CraigslistDecorator: yes, the floor plan is actually the mirror image of my unit. I copied it directly from the condo website. They didn't have my unit exactly in my orientation.

@LisaF: the LR walls are Behr Stone Fence (don't tell sponsors Benjamin Moore). The bedroom is also Behr, Sage Gray.

posted by LA0811 on April 22, 2011 at 11:31am
view LA0811's profile

What desk chair is that?

posted by Greyhound on April 22, 2011 at 12:43pm
view Greyhound's profile

"One of my favorite things is my walk in closet, but I'm not going to show it to you."

posted by MyDogistheShihTzu on April 22, 2011 at 3:17pm
view MyDogistheShihTzu's profile

Love the space and layout.

posted by Ofelia on April 25, 2011 at 6:25pm
view Ofelia's profile

where is that couch from? i love it!!

posted by Minneapolis apartments on April 26, 2011 at 2:56pm
view Minneapolis apartments's profile

@MyDogistheShihTzu: I thought about that. One of the greatest things about a walk-in closet is that you can shove everything that makes your place un-picture-worthy in said closet. Makes closet un-picture-worthy.

@Minneapolis apartment: The couch is originally from Ikea (Kramfors). They don't make it anymore, but this size and the full-size pop up on CL a lot. That's where I got this one.

posted by LA0811 on April 27, 2011 at 4:17pm
view LA0811's profile

@Greyhound: the chair is an old Steelcase work chair a friend got for me when his office upgraded, and auctioned all the 60s/70s era furniture. It's really comfortable. Unfortunately, super comfortable for cat, too, so have to keep lint brush nearby at all times.

posted by LA0811 on April 27, 2011 at 4:21pm
view LA0811's profile