Will's Warm & Cozy

Name:

Will

New York, New York

Division:

Teeny-Tiny

Square Feet:

What I Love About My Home

I love the coziness and the warmth of the space. I also love the fact that since the space is rather small I could afford to spend a little more on quality furnishings as opposed to furnishing a larger place which would take more time and finances.

Biggest Challenge in Furnishing My Home

I'd have to say the biggest challenge was the small closet space. I love clothing and work in retail clothing sales, it was important to me to keep as many as my clothes as possible. So I made a makeshift open closet in the hallway with a vintage rolling rack and Elfa shelving above it for baskets and folded items, thus doubling my closet space!

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (98)

Beautiful! I think the deer head rocks in this space.

posted by EC_ on April 19, 2011 at 11:03am
view EC_'s profile

You should have seen what Will did with his office at the Washington Post...

posted by Leslie Morgan Steiner on April 20, 2011 at 10:52am
view Leslie Morgan Steiner's profile

Will, love the painting you did of the tree!

posted by Tracy333 on April 23, 2011 at 12:57am
view Tracy333's profile

That poor deer. When will it stop being OK to hang dead animals in homes?

posted by Clairest on April 18, 2011 at 8:29am
view Clairest's profile

the cowhide, the sheepskin, and then the DEER HEAD?! how could anybody vote for this?

posted by waterlily on April 18, 2011 at 9:42am
view waterlily's profile

I'm hoping a deer will submit "its" small cool apartment with the head of a gay guy that works at Design Within Reach over the fireplace. That would be very cool.

Having said that, I still find this place very sexy. Oh, the conflict.

posted by cvgmiami on April 18, 2011 at 10:19am
view cvgmiami's profile

Ooooh moody, sexy, and masculine. Love all the textures and large scale artwork. You have my vote. Now vote for my tiny entry! ;)

http://community.apartmenttherapy.com/contests/smallcool/2011/entries/1988

posted by pinsuda on April 18, 2011 at 10:38am
view pinsuda's profile

The size kind of reminds me of a dorm room, but a magnificent one.

posted by ellerden15 on April 18, 2011 at 10:43am
view ellerden15's profile

very clever use of space =)

posted by JulianneMay on April 18, 2011 at 11:03am
view JulianneMay's profile

I really love your space. Is your bed a full or a queen? Very cozy!

posted by nycbound on April 18, 2011 at 11:58am
view nycbound's profile

I find no humor (or irony) in the comment about the taxidermied head of a person, gay or not. Let go of the anger.

posted by JamesG on April 18, 2011 at 12:17pm
view JamesG's profile

Where did you get the painting of the tree? Absolutely LOVE it! Your apartment has great style and you can really tell you took thought in choosing furniture. Very nice!

posted by Tracy333 on April 18, 2011 at 12:24pm
view Tracy333's profile

This is very professionally done. ARe the walls black? I love black walls....it always adds sex appeal.

I love the tree painting as it adds a nature touch.

Wow I wouldn't want to have a deer head only because people on the AT site are constantly complaining about those. Do your friends come over and say anything about it?
WEll I guess if you are inviting them over for dinner they wouldn't mention it except to maybe ask"so what's this meat in the stew?-"

posted by House Voyeur on April 18, 2011 at 12:55pm
view House Voyeur's profile

Wow!...Great use of space and the vintage "RL" look is what gives it that cozy feel..."wicked". Love the dark walls with the POPS of white. As odd as the deer head may seem...I love your out of the box thinking (most people would be afraid to push the limits).

posted by S. Beazy on April 18, 2011 at 2:36pm
view S. Beazy's profile

Wow...I put up a comment about not liking a shade of paint and that gets deleted, yet someone else here can spew all sorts discriminatory nastiness and it's apparently ok. Whatever. This place is gorgeous and if you don't like the deer head, don't put one up in your house.

posted by MsPface on April 18, 2011 at 2:36pm
view MsPface's profile

I wish there was a closeup on the deer so we could see if there is a tiny tear in the corner of his little eye. I'm sure he was roaming a meadow thinking about Plato's cave or researching a cure for cancer when he was cruelly shot with a high power rifle for the sole purpose of winning a contest on Apartment Therapy. Please tell me that is pleather on the couch...

Love your apartment. How many points is your buck?

posted by RUSIJEFF on April 18, 2011 at 2:49pm
view RUSIJEFF's profile

A good example of dark color working in a small space. Very sleek, love the bed, and the zebra print chairs, like the deer head too.

posted by Nephthys on April 18, 2011 at 3:20pm
view Nephthys's profile

I like the deer head to- this from me, a former vegetarian. My family all hunt and fish, and honestly, deer meat is healthy, and has kept many families I know sustained through winters in (my home province) Nova Scotia. I figure- if the animal is used for meat and the other parts repurposed, I'm all for it. I love the look, anyways.
I love love this entry, I'm just outside of Toronto. This seems typical of Toronto condos, but I think it would be one hell of a pleasant surprise opening the door onto this! :D Very dramatic!

posted by melissacj on April 18, 2011 at 3:50pm
view melissacj's profile

Oh heck people...get over yourselves with the deer/fur comments. Each person decides these issues for themselves and don't need your "help". It looks like a very (admirably) tidy guy space. It seems a little dark for my taste, but you've done a great job!

posted by Cherrie Ward on April 18, 2011 at 4:05pm
view Cherrie Ward's profile

I'm very torn by this apartment... I just adore the artwork and the (I freaking hope that's leather) couch, the color-scheme is gorgeous... but the panther-bedding and zebra-chairs are sooo tacky!
I'm in lurv with the deer head! Hoorah for dead fauna!
[/troll]

posted by Bennemans on April 18, 2011 at 4:15pm
view Bennemans's profile

I love the leather couch and the sheepskin. The zebra chairs are no problem here! (I want to do a zebra cushion on an entryway bench... when I have a real entry).

My favorite things are probably the large scale artwork and the dark walls.

I have no problems with the deer head. That's not that uncommon where I come from. A good friend of mine has a deer head - the rest of the deer went to food (and deer are vastly overpopulated in my state).

posted by HandmadeKatie on April 18, 2011 at 4:33pm
view HandmadeKatie's profile

Love that you have such an awesome bed in such a small space! And folks, animals die. I wouldn't want a deer head because we have so many I can't stand the sight of them any more, but if I lived in Manhattan I would certainly think it's a great idea.

posted by bshields on April 18, 2011 at 4:42pm
view bshields's profile

I love everything about this small space - great color choice, beautiful sofa, and great artwork (including the deer). Your place shows that small and dark can be beautiful.

posted by callaloo on April 18, 2011 at 4:53pm
view callaloo's profile

Very sexy and chic. I am always impressed by those who can get that luxe Ralph Lauren thing to work for them. When I try to pull it off it just looks like a crappy hunting lodge. Good job!

posted by tara1979 on April 18, 2011 at 4:54pm
view tara1979's profile

bshields: you'd be amazed at the number of deer heads in Manhattan. Deer die, yes, but this deer head trend will not!

posted by stickler on April 18, 2011 at 5:00pm
view stickler's profile

Gorgeous!

posted by Village on April 18, 2011 at 5:01pm
view Village's profile

I love it!!! Normally I'm not a fan of dark colors, but it really works. Beautiful.

Wish we could see the kitchen!

posted by LauraInCancun on April 18, 2011 at 5:04pm
view LauraInCancun's profile

Love, love, love it!!!!

posted by plantlady on April 18, 2011 at 5:09pm
view plantlady's profile

I love your space. It is sexy and classic. I love the artwork juxtaposed against the dark walls. My favorite is the furniture choices- regular scale, lush, comfy- no teeny tiny apartment furniture- Love It!

posted by Jai B on April 18, 2011 at 5:16pm
view Jai B's profile

beautiful space, love the colors and mood.

'Please tell me that is pleather on the couch...' seriously?? out of curiosity, what are your shoes and belts made of?

posted by magicalbee on April 18, 2011 at 5:16pm
view magicalbee's profile

That comment about gay folks was completely uncalled for and uncool.

I like this space, though I don't like the rolling rack in the hallway. It seems cluttery.

posted by good time teeth on April 18, 2011 at 5:19pm
view good time teeth's profile

Will, what a warm, enfolding environment.

I am sorry that people have to make this post be all about environmental politics, but I am going to respond to that aspect anyway.

I'm with melissacj. What exactly do you people want to happen to the taxidermied heads that people have made as trophies for hundreds of years? How about the hides of the animals slaughtered every day for your hamburgers and lamb chops? Do you think that it is more respectful to throw them in the dumpster? I don't. Will's trophy treats the animal with much more honor. Also, why is there such widespread outrage against hunting, but not against meat eating in general, when most animals are raised in miserable conditions? At least the wild animal has lived a good life, and all you're complaining about is the moment of death. Furthermore, what exactly do you people think would happen to the deer if no people hunted them? We as humans living in sprawling communities have already put them in danger by our very lifestyles. You can't have a large population of deer and a large population of humans in the same space. It just doesn't work out. Those deer crossing the road to eat your neighbor's flowers aren't in safe, endless wilds of the untouched new world frontier.

posted by Gaidig on April 18, 2011 at 5:25pm
view Gaidig's profile

Hear, hear, Gaidig! I couldn't agree more.

But back to the topic of the apartment... it's terrific. I love the use of dark colors in a small place. It's a bold move.

posted by CallDoctorBison on April 18, 2011 at 5:30pm
view CallDoctorBison's profile

@Gaidig Thanks for pointing out the hypocrisy inherent in the negative comments about the deer head.

posted by callaloo on April 18, 2011 at 5:32pm
view callaloo's profile

Now THIS is a mancave! Love it!

posted by Chilena con Carnage on April 18, 2011 at 6:17pm
view Chilena con Carnage's profile

Very tidy and fashionable! As a vegetarian, I'm freaked out about these animal head wall pieces. Brrrrrr.

posted by owlmug on April 18, 2011 at 6:19pm
view owlmug's profile

Great floor plan. The brooding wall color is wonderfully contrasted with the use of animal patterns, nature art, and traditional elements. I get the same excitement from your pics, that I experienced from apartment sets in movies like Bad Company and Sea of Love. The detectible silence of controlled intense energy.

posted by prairiepearl on April 18, 2011 at 6:54pm
view prairiepearl's profile

hubba hubba. foxy diggs

posted by Mr. Herrera on April 18, 2011 at 7:24pm
view Mr. Herrera's profile

With the exception of the deer head (WHEN will that trend finally die???), I love it. Very stylish, masculine, tidy, and well-edited.

posted by RMF325 on April 18, 2011 at 9:50pm
view RMF325's profile

This place ROCKS. I love love your bed. I'm late to the party so you probably won't tell me where you got it. I am not a fan of animal heads...aesthetically but thats ok because I still like this place.

posted by delg23 on April 18, 2011 at 8:14pm
view delg23's profile

I have seen a lot of small chic New York City apartments in my day, but this one is by far the best one I've seen in a long time. The way the designer was able to accurately capture the essence of classic Ralph Lauren in every square inch of this place is spectacular. If this designer doesn't have his own business, he should or better yet his own Bravo TV show!

posted by Jackierocks on April 18, 2011 at 8:26pm
view Jackierocks's profile

Love this place! Dark, soothing, and peaceful, yet still minimal to the core. Don't like the deer head but just for aesthetic reasons - Gaidig pretty much summed it up. I don't object to hunting as long as you eat the meat. Using the other bits just makes it MORE reasonable.

posted by Shadlyn on April 18, 2011 at 8:34pm
view Shadlyn's profile

Hi This is Will. Thank you all for your comments.

I would like to address some questions that were asked. The deer head is about 25 years old. I didn't kill it myself nor do I hunt or kill animals. It was given to me by a neighbor who was moving from the apartment complex I lived in at the time. The paintings were done by me. The wall color is black it's Benjiman Moore's "Black Jack" # 2133-20 in an eggshell finish.

I hope this helps. Thanks, Will

posted by will j on April 18, 2011 at 8:57pm
view will j's profile

Love it!! way to go! even the deer head....then again..I'm from Texas!

posted by natalieJ on April 18, 2011 at 9:05pm
view natalieJ's profile

@ delg23. Thanks. The queen sized bed was purchased on sale at Bloomingdale's about 4 years ago. (It's a Ralph Lauren knock off) I had it stored (still in the box) in a friend's basement. When I moved to NY from D.C. in Dec. 2010 I brought it with me. I figured it deserved to live in the greatest city on earth!

posted by will j on April 18, 2011 at 9:12pm
view will j's profile

I like the way you married the colors of the sofa and bedding...it makes the bed almost an extension of the sofa. it's cool.

posted by mellowhome on April 18, 2011 at 10:35pm
view mellowhome's profile

Good grief... I have an almost totally vegan diet and I don't wear/use leather, and I love animals more than anything, but even I can't see the point in making a rude comment about someone else's deer head on an online forum about apartments.

Anyway, very nice place, especially with *such* a small space. I love the painting behind the TV, and the strong lines of the metal bed. If you're going to have a full-size bed in a place that small, you may as well make it bold!

posted by emmelemm on April 18, 2011 at 9:16pm
view emmelemm's profile

This space is wonderful! I absolutely love it.

posted by rajaune on April 18, 2011 at 11:33pm
view rajaune's profile

The deer head is just about the only thing about this space I don't like, but purely from an aesthetic viewpoint, not a PC one. Everything else---gorgeous!

posted by Paul from MN on April 18, 2011 at 11:52pm
view Paul from MN's profile

I love it, too. The deer head makes me feel right at home. The dark colors make it feel very dramatic and sexy.

posted by Karen from Kalifornia on April 18, 2011 at 11:54pm
view Karen from Kalifornia's profile

I love it. I'm more into shabby chic (what a terrible name) but this is just spectacular. Warm, Dramatic, inviting. And I do love your book stacks.

posted by Kacie3 on April 19, 2011 at 12:01am
view Kacie3's profile

Love it.

posted by reclamationdesign on April 19, 2011 at 12:53am
view reclamationdesign's profile

This chick would love to live in this "man-cave." Very bold use of a dark color in a small space - bravo.

And if you want to put a deer head on your wall and have a leather couch (gasp!) do it - and if you don't - DON'T. Jeez people.

posted by eclectic-chick on April 19, 2011 at 1:00am
view eclectic-chick's profile

The same concept that protects this person's right to hand a deer head in his home also pertains to MY right to post my opinion. It's called a COMMENTS section because it's where readers post their COMMENTS. And the gay part was made by my very gay friend who thought it would be funny if a deer had an apartment with his head over a fireplace. Posters of Mao, Che Guevara etc draw gret wrath from readers and no one has the guts to defend that, although it's just as offensive to some. Peace.

posted by cvgmiami on April 19, 2011 at 9:41am
view cvgmiami's profile

By the way, i eat meat and am not opposed to wearing leather shoes or having leather seats on my car, I just find the use of dead animals as decor cliched and macabre and not attractive. That there is a design comment, folks!

posted by cvgmiami on April 19, 2011 at 9:43am
view cvgmiami's profile

This place is amazing!!! I love the black paint, it defies the idea that you can't use dark paint for walls in a small space. Great job, I would however named it "Urban Lodge" Is the bed Ralph Lauren?

posted by TRG on April 19, 2011 at 9:55am
view TRG's profile

So happy to see the deer head has a happy home!

posted by jaga on April 19, 2011 at 10:26am
view jaga's profile

Great studio, very genteel and stylish. Hang a deer head if you want, it is your house after all.

posted by P- on April 19, 2011 at 10:52am
view P-'s profile

If Will reads the post again, I would also like to know about the great lucite campaign chairs

posted by P- on April 19, 2011 at 10:54am
view P-'s profile

Where did you score the leopard sheets!?! Love. And been hunting for a set.

posted by NorNor on April 19, 2011 at 11:36am
view NorNor's profile

@P- The lucite chairs are vintage purchased from a thrift store in Washington D.C. about 5 years ago. The seats were covered in hot pink vinyl when I purchased them but the pink didn't go with my color scheme. I recovered them with zebra print micro suede fabric. @NorNor. The sheets are from Bloomingdales I think they still sell them.

Will

posted by will j on April 19, 2011 at 11:53am
view will j's profile

i love the bed...its seems ridiculous to have in a small space but is actually amazing.

posted by niche on April 19, 2011 at 4:41pm
view niche's profile

Although I'm also not a fan of the deer head, I do agree that the space is dramatic and sexy. Normally I'm not a fan of open closets, but the men's dress shirts and ties just help emphasize the manly vibe of the space and I love it.

posted by pheebs79 on April 19, 2011 at 6:38pm
view pheebs79's profile

I applaud the effort, I think it is very dramatic and sexy as others have said. However, it is way too depressing to me. I will never understand why people paint thier walls black, especially in such a small space. I love all the peices in this place though, the lamps on the wall, the chrome bed, the round mirror, I just wish the walls were brighter. It's like a cave.

posted by sweethomesweet on April 19, 2011 at 8:18pm
view sweethomesweet's profile

I enjoy the wall color. Bold. I wish I was brave enough for black. Keep the deer, he is lovely.

posted by aynn on April 19, 2011 at 8:50pm
view aynn's profile

cvgmiami: I love your comment! Cracks me up.

posted by emil1173 on April 19, 2011 at 9:26pm
view emil1173's profile

I kind of like how this entry has caused a stir. He has definitely made a few polarising choices, but that just makes things interesting!

The zebra print is definitely not for me and it cheapens everything in my opinion, but otherwise I love the bed.

I would love to have seen a photograph of the space in daylight, I am sure it looks totally different and maybe tones down that sexy man cave thing a bit that might be putting people off?

Slick job though overall

posted by lollybox on April 20, 2011 at 7:31am
view lollybox's profile

Will - you know I have always gotten "life" off of your aesthetic!!! I loooove your new place; however small - its soooo sexy!!!! Hope you win!!!

posted by Derrick Wilder on April 20, 2011 at 8:12am
view Derrick Wilder's profile

Hey Will, GREAT interior design as always! I'll be sure to put it on my MUST SEE list whenever I return to my home state or in the area visiting my son...

posted by E_the_CameraMan on April 20, 2011 at 8:36am
view E_the_CameraMan's profile

Will, this place is breathtaking! I would never guess that you don't make a living in interior design. I am highly impressed.

posted by Jackie R on April 20, 2011 at 9:00am
view Jackie R's profile

Ab Fab darling!
Loved reading people's comments ... funny how hung up people got on Herbert. Hope you win!

posted by moocrispy on April 20, 2011 at 9:19am
view moocrispy's profile

Will....place looks great. Usually, a photo can make a space look smaller. Not the case here and that's very impressive considering the dark color choice.
Love it

posted by Dino7 on April 20, 2011 at 10:03am
view Dino7's profile

wow...what a gorgeous apartment...so sleek and stylish just like its owner.

posted by GwynethLeigh on April 20, 2011 at 10:26am
view GwynethLeigh's profile

I love the deer head...and everything else! Go Will.

posted by Leslie Morgan Steiner on April 20, 2011 at 10:51am
view Leslie Morgan Steiner's profile

Nice Will! Very sleek and stylish!

posted by Niambe on April 20, 2011 at 10:55am
view Niambe's profile

Just outstanding!

posted by Soulfull on April 20, 2011 at 11:27am
view Soulfull's profile

I like the couch and the coffee table and the bed, and hey, even the wall color. It's like a vintage vegas lounge where you never know what time it is outside. Here's my beef. Half this room feels drenched in scotch and pulled out of a ralph lauren ad, and half is either really tacky or belongs in a girl's bedroom. The white desk and picture frames? Not for this setting. Zebra and leopard skin? Tacky. And I'm really sorry, but that painting above the TV looks like someone flung poo.

posted by eise0100 on April 20, 2011 at 11:48am
view eise0100's profile

Will,

I never comment, but your space is BRA-VO. It speaks to me deeply. So much so, that I actually voted.

Good luck to you.

posted by miamime on April 20, 2011 at 2:25pm
view miamime's profile

Wow.....some REALLY harsh and I'm-hiding-behind-the-safety-of-my-computer critiques on here. Keep in mind peeps that someone lives here and has put lots of time and effort into making it "theirs". If it's not your style, then say that, but no need to go on and on. and on. Better yet, enter the contest so we can all see your "perfect" space.

Will - tremendous job! Nice mix of colors, textures and elements.

posted by RyRy on April 20, 2011 at 4:13pm
view RyRy's profile

And I thought *my* man-cave was sexy... you just won. Nicely done, Will. Off to buy a knock-off RL canopy bed for my studio, it's brilliant!

posted by dr dubs on April 20, 2011 at 5:25pm
view dr dubs's profile

I dig this pad and I mean really dig it. You dig? Nice job bringing this together. Hope you win -- you're a winner.

posted by kingsoul on April 20, 2011 at 9:12pm
view kingsoul's profile

Nicely configured utilizing every inch well.

posted by TBrown_ on April 20, 2011 at 9:45pm
view TBrown_'s profile

I absolutely love your decor! The colors work extremely well together and the pieces that you have selected are made for each other. Impressive!

posted by Toi Jamese on April 20, 2011 at 11:31pm
view Toi Jamese's profile

SWEET!!!/ Really Nice...You should win this!

posted by Trasweets on April 20, 2011 at 11:34pm
view Trasweets's profile

Sweet pad dude! New Yorkers are so creative!

posted by Deezynerguy on April 21, 2011 at 2:58am
view Deezynerguy's profile

Will, your paintings are gorgeous. I was admiring them and wondering where they came from. Your entire place is fabulous, coherent and moody.

posted by tomgyrll on April 21, 2011 at 3:59pm
view tomgyrll's profile

This is by far the coolest, most modern and attractive of all. Even though it's one of the smallest, the coordination IN COLOR and decor makes up for the space. LOVE IT!!! Very Cozy!

posted by Todd Topping on April 21, 2011 at 6:54pm
view Todd Topping's profile

Extremely cozy feel that jumps out of the pics. Great job... I live in a small apt/loft in dc...you have given me some ideas for my place...with your design aesthetic you sure you wanna stay in fashion retail...you might wanna consider the field of interior design... could prove to be a beneficial move in the long run.

posted by Terry Bernard on April 21, 2011 at 6:59pm
view Terry Bernard's profile

This one has GREAT potential–with just a few minor fixes: 1) lose the vintage zebra chairs I'd go with a pair of light colored high back club chairs in the same position as to not block the TV. 2) Nix the chrome coffee table and get two small round tables as coffee tables. 3) Get the books off the floor, I'm sure they're important to you and space is a concern put them under the bed or something. Other than that Great color scheme! LOVE, LOVE, Love that bed!

posted by scandesign on April 22, 2011 at 5:05am
view scandesign's profile

Brooding and Masculine, love. You get my vote!

posted by stellah on April 22, 2011 at 4:00pm
view stellah's profile

This place is freak'n awesome!!! I want to marry that bed and make sweet love to it ;), Seriously, love everything about this space. Digg'n the black walls. Is the hallway wall lighter in color or is it just the lighting that's making it seem that way?

posted by nleedesign on April 23, 2011 at 5:39am
view nleedesign's profile

Well you have done it again! I continue to be amazed and inspired by your ability to transform any type of dwelling into the most cozy, warm, and aesthetically appealing living environment. So clever, so creative, so trendy... so you! You are AMERICA's next best interior designer!

posted by CJKing on April 23, 2011 at 9:46am
view CJKing's profile

Take a true genius to make a black room look spacious…..but it actually adds comfort! Style and class exudes from every corner of this unit. Sex and the City reminiscent space but with a masculine twist!!!! Absolute clever use of “fabulousity”!!!!!

posted by kimmy2000 on April 23, 2011 at 12:37pm
view kimmy2000's profile

i love this space. the deer head is amazing. and to all the people complaining about it, some people eat meat and (GASP!) eat deer meat. i think it looks like a man's pad!!! LOVE IT!!!

posted by crazyhair on April 25, 2011 at 12:00pm
view crazyhair's profile

People need to get over the deer head. Hunting is a fact of life and feeds people. Please. Great place!

posted by amanda616 on April 25, 2011 at 3:21pm
view amanda616's profile

AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME! I still need you to come and make my place sing. PLEASEEEE!!

posted by Samuel Tatum Jr on April 25, 2011 at 8:03pm
view Samuel Tatum Jr's profile

Nice matching of colors and textures (though personally I stay away from animal prints and taxidermy) and overall the place is not bad.

However, the furniture is too big for the space, there is no balance of proportions, things are overcrowding the tiny room. The bed poles are not helping either. I'm sorry, but the design comes across a bit pretentious for such a small apartment.

posted by Graphist on April 27, 2011 at 6:08am
view Graphist's profile

Hi. @nleedesign. The hallway color is lighter it's Benjiman Moore's trout grey. Thanks for the comments. I love my bed too!!

posted by will j on May 7, 2011 at 8:58pm
view will j's profile