Louisa's Eclectic in Astoria

Name:

Louisa

Astoria, New York

Division:

Tiny

Square Feet:

What I Love About My Home

The quirkiness and whimsy, the floors, the reflection of us, our travels, the view over Manhattan, my writing on the walls, too many books and all the light. The fact that it is so small has forced us to be super creative with what we got and just about everything was found, thrifted or recycled over time. I love to saw, stain, upholster and bang away which gives me much more control of making things the way we like them. We also love how we somehow got or place so ethnically mixed between fabrics, baskets and pieces that hold sweet memories from far away places.

Biggest Challenge in Furnishing My Home

Every time you get something new – something old has to go, which is challenging at times. The purpose and necessity of everything has to be evaluated and each item needs to find a place where it works in the space. We both love to collect things so everything has to be very systematically organized all the time because if the system breaks down it is full out chaos. On the flip side we only have things we truly love and we do stay pretty organized most of the time – even while hosting our yearly Christmas party for 40.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (26)

Very "World Groovy". I love. Makes we want to put on some candles, some great music and light up a ... well, you know, relax. I love the white floors - did you paint them? If so, how and how do you keep them clean?

posted by cvgmiami on April 19, 2011 at 9:13am
view cvgmiami's profile

This reminds me of my own apartment and taste. You have my vote!

posted by saramango on April 19, 2011 at 10:49am
view saramango's profile

Love the turquoise cabinet. Is it DIY or was it purchased in that color?

posted by good time teeth on April 19, 2011 at 10:57am
view good time teeth's profile

I have fabric from Egypt over my bed exactly like that and all white bedding - how did you hang yours? I used the CB2 fabric hanger, and I'm not thrilled with it.

posted by saramango on April 19, 2011 at 11:24am
view saramango's profile

I remember this one as a house tour awhile back. Still pretty awesome!

posted by Tracy333 on April 19, 2011 at 12:18pm
view Tracy333's profile

Love the overall feeling, especially the bedroom area. My only issue is that the living room appeared to be a bit clutter and cramped. You still have my vote though!

posted by pier723 on April 19, 2011 at 1:27pm
view pier723's profile

I dig your appreciation for antiques!

posted by The Vintage Spoon on April 19, 2011 at 4:54pm
view The Vintage Spoon's profile

... it feels so Catalan to me!

do tell us where one can find the
Barcelona, 34th St....poster, please.

posted by T. Crucet on April 19, 2011 at 6:49pm
view T. Crucet's profile

Thanks guys. I am Swedish - so perhaps that's why it feels Swedish :). I painted the turquoise cabinet (street find), the floors, and the Barcelona poster (just added my favorite places). The Nepali fabric is banged up with tiny nails.

posted by LouisaZea on April 19, 2011 at 8:11pm
view LouisaZea's profile

Louisa, your home is breathtaking, one of my top three. I could move in tomorrow (don't worry, I won't). The only thing I would add is a Moroccan Weddiing Blanket over the bed.

Very well done. Inspiring.

posted by cvgmiami on April 19, 2011 at 8:22pm
view cvgmiami's profile

When will I ever finish my place? You are so inspiring!!!

posted by LesleyFigu on April 20, 2011 at 12:00am
view LesleyFigu's profile

I could live there. tomorrow. It feels like a warm cozy home. Only thing I would like is more wide photos of the rooms. Your details are wonderful though.

posted by Terry Clark on April 20, 2011 at 8:42am
view Terry Clark's profile

This little place reflects the lifestyle and individuality of those who live here. Everyone should surround themselves with what inspires innate creativity, and can comfortably call it 'home.'

posted by Bumba's apt on April 20, 2011 at 8:57am
view Bumba's apt's profile

Love it. Also live in Astoria, Queens. It's neat to see someone's interpretation of the very typical, charming and often difficult Astoria architecture.

posted by erikhaigh on April 20, 2011 at 1:46pm
view erikhaigh's profile

Love the floor

posted by haizea on April 20, 2011 at 4:44pm
view haizea's profile

Your beautiful place makes me want to go traveling this instance.

posted by little one on April 20, 2011 at 6:32pm
view little one's profile

I loved this when it was a Housecall and love it now. Captures a bright and airy global aesthetic that I love!!!

posted by Trumystique on April 20, 2011 at 7:13pm
view Trumystique's profile

The floor is my favorite too. It gives the room a beachy atmosphere. Lovely!

posted by Aissatou on April 21, 2011 at 12:04am
view Aissatou's profile

Love this, where is the small round coffee table from? Im looking for one like this.
big fan!

posted by mcohen on April 21, 2011 at 4:26pm
view mcohen's profile

This is an amazing apartment. I love it!!

posted by Glamis on April 21, 2011 at 5:29pm
view Glamis's profile

Absolutely lovely! I actually think the living room looks very cozy, not cluttered. Sometimes people tend to make small places too sparse (in my opinion). The way you have everything brings a "big" feel to it. WONDERFUL!!

posted by bfergie13 on April 24, 2011 at 7:09am
view bfergie13's profile

Wonderfully creative!!!

posted by Agent Andy on April 25, 2011 at 9:40pm
view Agent Andy's profile

I love this. It's by far the best. I can see myself wanting to be in this space and feeling inspired in it.

posted by Maria Fielding on April 26, 2011 at 12:02am
view Maria Fielding's profile

So many awesome pieces!

posted by aj510 on April 27, 2011 at 4:01am
view aj510's profile

Louisa, I love the apartment! Very European chic!!
Marie Tinacci

posted by marie tinacci on April 27, 2011 at 10:32am
view marie tinacci's profile

louisa - can you tell me what you used to paint your floors and share a little bit about the process? im hoping to do the same and would love the advice from someone's whose done it so i do it right! thanks!

posted by mwalits on May 8, 2011 at 3:07pm
view mwalits's profile