Pinsuda's Studio Space

Name:

Pinsuda

New York, New York

Division:

Tiny

Square Feet:

What I Love About My Home

The windows. Whether it be waking up naturally to the morning light diffused by cellular shades or basking in sunshine while cozied up on my huge, deep sofa... it's such a treat to feel such airiness in a tiny space. I also tend to like painting walls dark, moody, sexy colors - so I love that the space can handle a dark gray without feeling claustrophobic.

Biggest Challenge in Furnishing My Home

I downsized when I moved from Chicago to NYC and had recently purchased all new furniture which unfortunately for me was all full-size and hardly NYC studio-size friendly. I'm happy that I was able to find a space that could fit my furniture and where I could configure it to still have distinct areas for sleeping, eating, and living. I've only been here under a year and am pretty happy with how the space is shaping up so far!

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (49)

Wonderful. And thanks for sharing the artist's name :)

posted by see on April 14, 2011 at 9:58pm
view see's profile

BTW..where did you get the art? Like I said, I want them. :)

posted by Tracy333 on April 14, 2011 at 1:10pm
view Tracy333's profile

Love the big couch and the grey walls . Of course the art works are amazing.

posted by Paiwan on April 15, 2011 at 2:06pm
view Paiwan's profile

Wow, the entertainment console works so well in that space and I LOVE the different shelves of color and the orange/red storage boxes.. it brings a great but not overwhelming pop of color! I don't normally like grey walls but they look very modern in your place.

posted by maechevrette on April 14, 2011 at 11:24am
view maechevrette's profile

I am enjoying the gray, and your artwork. I also wonder if I had had the words "Bring it on, bitch" hanging somewhere in my office, would I have had an easier time dealing with my old boss? Hmm.

posted by csc76 on April 14, 2011 at 12:31pm
view csc76's profile

I really like the way you arranged your furniture.

posted by danze on April 14, 2011 at 12:33pm
view danze's profile

@csc76 - well, I can certainly say that just looking at that "Bring it on, bitch" poster is already making me feel like I can deal with my current boss!

posted by Pamela L on April 14, 2011 at 12:35pm
view Pamela L's profile

I love the wall colour and the artwork and everything! Where did you get your living room rug?

posted by pheebs79 on April 14, 2011 at 12:51pm
view pheebs79's profile

Thanks everyone for the votes so far! I appreciate all your nice comments. :)

The paintings are by a Chicago artist named Michel Balasis. His website is: http://www.mbpopart.com/

@pheebs79 - The rug is from West Elm. It's called the Pebble Stripe Rug. I think it may be discontinued though. Here's the link: http://www.westelm.com/products/pebble-stripe-rug-r900/

posted by pinsuda on April 14, 2011 at 1:08pm
view pinsuda's profile

LOVE the art work (cartoons)..the sayings are hilarious..I want them! The gray is nice and cozy and love how you are able to balance light and dark in the same space.Good job!

posted by Tracy333 on April 14, 2011 at 1:08pm
view Tracy333's profile

Can you please tell me where did you purchase the bed? I love it1

posted by Carmen Stan on April 14, 2011 at 1:33pm
view Carmen Stan's profile

You did the same thing with your TV that I did with mine! Three cheers for taking off the base and leaning it against the wall.

http://community.apartmenttherapy.com/contests/smallcool/2011/entries/967

posted by eise0100 on April 14, 2011 at 1:40pm
view eise0100's profile

@Carmen_Stan - The bed is from CB2. It's called the Rudder bed... but unfortunately it looks like it's discontinued! Here's the link: http://reviews.cb2.com/7259/5022/rudder-bed-reviews/reviews.htm

@eise0100 - I wish I could say that was intentional... I didn't measure the opening for the TV and literally almost cried when it didn't fit. Thankfully once I took the stand off it slid in just perfectly. Worked out for the better though - I like how it looks without the stand!

posted by pinsuda on April 14, 2011 at 4:57pm
view pinsuda's profile

Your place is so great! Where is your dining table and adorable chairs from?

posted by xlaurenx on April 14, 2011 at 5:43pm
view xlaurenx's profile

Where did you get the entertainment console and the side table right next to the couch?? Everything looks great and love the pops of color everywhere. =)

posted by dolphinblue106 on April 14, 2011 at 7:10pm
view dolphinblue106's profile

i love the artwork! where can i get one?

posted by mariquettesf on April 14, 2011 at 7:13pm
view mariquettesf's profile

LOVE! I am a sucker for grey. I'm glad you revealed the source for your rug because I love it the most!

posted by delg23 on April 14, 2011 at 8:04pm
view delg23's profile

Wonderful apartment!
...and of course I love art with a sense of humour :)

posted by chummy on April 15, 2011 at 6:02pm
view chummy's profile

Love this modern but very warm space. Well done... I want that bring it on bitch art piece!

posted by mauishopgirl on April 14, 2011 at 8:59pm
view mauishopgirl's profile

I think the storage boxes are from Ikea. I have them; they're great!

posted by ohmaggie on April 14, 2011 at 10:25pm
view ohmaggie's profile

Always a big fan of art especially framed art on the floor.

posted by THE BASICS Magazine on April 14, 2011 at 10:36pm
view THE BASICS Magazine's profile

Love the orange boxes on your bookcase- a great pop of color. Where are they from?

posted by traveler23 on April 14, 2011 at 10:13pm
view traveler23's profile

i love the grey walls...what is the exact color called?

posted by DanaJS on April 14, 2011 at 10:28pm
view DanaJS's profile

Great layout. Love the graphic art.

posted by robertspeg on April 14, 2011 at 10:29pm
view robertspeg's profile

I love that side table! Where is it from?

posted by CreativeCoco on April 14, 2011 at 10:52pm
view CreativeCoco's profile

love this space, love how it spells 'CLEVER'(!!!) with the storage arrangements (tv area, and beside seating) and how seating and bed is placed. if there's a prize for being 'clever' im voting you =) (im quite wary of being 'tricked'. But no, it's not the extremely beautiful windows that caused a bias-ness. I impartially think your space is nice and clever. =))

posted by JulianneMay on April 14, 2011 at 11:28pm
view JulianneMay's profile

Love the art! I'm sure that everyone who see it becomes an instant fan!

posted by rajaune on April 14, 2011 at 11:58pm
view rajaune's profile

The artwork you have so strategically placed over the bed? Brilliant, dahlink! You get my vote.

posted by PattyD on April 15, 2011 at 1:00am
view PattyD's profile

I love how clean this space feels -- even on screen! Those chairs at the table are fabulous. It seems lived in and cozy...love love love.

posted by Joy from PWLTJ on April 15, 2011 at 1:30am
view Joy from PWLTJ's profile

I like the color palette is so relaxing! The rug is wonderfull and the doggy adorable

posted by Ofelia on April 15, 2011 at 1:34am
view Ofelia's profile

I wish we had some shots of the kitchen and bathroom...but love the living area.

posted by catatonia72 on April 15, 2011 at 1:55am
view catatonia72's profile

Thanks for all the votes and sweet comments! Here are some more answers to your questions:

@xlaurenx - The dining table is from CB2 but it's been discontinued and the link isn't live anymore. The chairs are from Anthropologie... they don't have the exact pattern I bought but here's something similar: http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/catalog/productdetail.jsp?id=963083&catId=HOME-FURNITURE-CHAIRS&pushId=HOME-FURNITURE-CHAIRS&popId=HOME-FURNITURE&navAction=middle&navCount=84&color=008&isProduct=true&fromCategoryPage=true&templateType=D

@dolphinblue106 - The entertainment console is from IKEA. And the side table is from West Elm. Here's the link: http://www.westelm.com/products/bookshelf-side-table-g130/?pkey=ccoffee-side-tables

@traveler23 - Yes, @ohmaggie is right! They're from IKEA. Super cheap and great.

@DanaJS - The exact gray is Benjamin Moore "Dior Gray". I'm obsessed with it. Highly recommend. The wall by my bed is Benjamin Moore "Bunny Gray".

@The_Basics_Magazine - Thanks! I agree... something about the informality of framed artwork on the floor. I dig it. Those pieces happen to be pages out of Andrew Zuckerman's book "Music"... a portrait of Lenny Kravitz and a quote by him. The frames are just IKEA.

@PattyD - Glad you got the strategic placement. :)

@Ofelia - You're the first person to give a shout-out about my dog... thanks! Her name is Ethel.

@catatonia72 - I wavered back and forth about including a picture of the kitchen and/or bathroom but honestly there's no "design" to them. It's a standard rental... so I felt that out having 5 pictures - it didn't help add to the story of the place. If I had a couple more slots - I would have posted them.

posted by pinsuda on April 15, 2011 at 11:27am
view pinsuda's profile

Where is the couch from? I love the color and it looks so comfortable!

posted by Sarah Feldman on April 15, 2011 at 12:53pm
view Sarah Feldman's profile

A very lovely grey. Like your chairs: did you make/attach the cushions yourself? I don't much like the pop art (but that's OK - I'm old), but I love the long strips beside your round table (line of trees in early spring and winter? what?) and their sort of counterpart the other side of the room, the sunny yellow roses in their round glass.

posted by helanother on April 15, 2011 at 1:34pm
view helanother's profile

Love the artwork and the grey walls!

posted by k100468384 on April 15, 2011 at 1:41pm
view k100468384's profile

Well, I'm OLD and love the pop art -- the one that says "Why buy the cow..." is an expression my grandmother used. If I got that poster, wouldn't she be proud?! Love how you made the colors and textures look unique - not just another pretty gray apartment. Bold move putting the bed and sofa together - it all works!

posted by citipearl on April 15, 2011 at 3:40pm
view citipearl's profile

@SarahFeldman - The couch is from CB2. No seams... so it's essentially like a twin size bed for friends who crash for the wknd. Here's the link: http://www.cb2.com/sofas/furniture/movie-walnut-sofa/f3856

@helanother - Chairs are from Anthropologie. And, yes, those are trees off Lake Shore Drive at early spring and winter! The artist is Michael McGuire and I bought those pieces at Las Manos Gallery in Chicago. Link: http://www.lasmanosgallery.com/gallery_artist_mcguirepg1.html

posted by pinsuda on April 15, 2011 at 6:25pm
view pinsuda's profile

@citipearl - My mother uses that expression too! So when I saw that painting at Juicy Wine Bar in Chicago... I had to have it. I bought both pieces off the wall. The artist Michel Balasis is fantastic. I love his interpretation of Lichtenstein.

posted by pinsuda on April 15, 2011 at 6:30pm
view pinsuda's profile

Thank you everyone for the votes and wonderful comments! Please pass along to all your friends! :)

posted by pinsuda on April 15, 2011 at 6:32pm
view pinsuda's profile

i really like how you arrange your bed and the sofa. it looks more spacious than it is.
yong

posted by yong on April 16, 2011 at 11:27am
view yong's profile

Love the art and the space!

posted by D2 pad on April 16, 2011 at 9:48pm
view D2 pad's profile

Love the comic art - thanks for posting a link to the artist!

posted by jesskuhrae on April 17, 2011 at 2:33pm
view jesskuhrae's profile

Pinsuda you are a badass

posted by bcobb104 on April 17, 2011 at 5:08pm
view bcobb104's profile

Must save up for my own Pinsuda. So many good choices!

posted by citipearl on April 19, 2011 at 2:51pm
view citipearl's profile

OMG - I meant Balasis. I'm sure YOU are TAKEN!

posted by citipearl on April 19, 2011 at 2:52pm
view citipearl's profile

Love this for too many reasons to list! You had me at, "bring it on, bitch."

posted by cbeatty23 on April 19, 2011 at 4:21pm
view cbeatty23's profile

Love the place! Looks so much better without a coffee tabl..... Oops!! My bad!

Nevertheless, it's my fav! Good luck.

R in Tokyo

posted by Patatokyo on April 20, 2011 at 10:01am
view Patatokyo's profile

I know this kinda feels like a house tour because you have answer all of our questions (Thanksss!!! :) ) but I would love if apartment therapy does a house tour of your apartment it deserves it!!!

posted by tmilan on April 22, 2011 at 6:27pm
view tmilan's profile

it is very nice set up . the art works are nice . the orange boxes are a nice touch and make the bookcase comes alive. well done !

posted by kanut on April 24, 2011 at 1:10pm
view kanut's profile