Jennie's Colorful & Care-free

Name:

Jennie

Bothell, Washington

Division:

Small

Square Feet:

What I Love About My Home

i love that our place is so breezy and carefree. our last apt was very wild with all the walls painted a different color. when we moved i knew i wanted to change up my style and tone it down a notch. i like the subtle colors we have with a pop of color in just the right places.

Biggest Challenge in Furnishing My Home

the biggest challenged we faced was the fact that our dinning room and living room are open to one another. i think what we have going on works well and balances each other out.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (35)

Cute! Luv colours! I'm from Fla & it reminds me of here!

posted by Shanti Johnson on April 14, 2011 at 10:37am
view Shanti Johnson's profile

love love love your colors!!

posted by quirkymom on April 14, 2011 at 11:55am
view quirkymom's profile

I have been looking for white ottomans just like yours. Where did you find them? Thanks!

posted by shereen on April 14, 2011 at 12:41pm
view shereen's profile

I really like the black mirror and frame with the S against the blue wall. The colors really pop. What does the S stand for..your last name? Just wondering. :)

posted by Tracy333 on April 14, 2011 at 1:04pm
view Tracy333's profile

This is great! I actually painted my bedroom in my last place a similar colour to your living room. I am a huge fan of colour and love how you have used it here!

posted by HollyGoBrightly on April 14, 2011 at 1:07pm
view HollyGoBrightly's profile

I really love the colors in the first photo. The wall color, the credenza and your ceramics. All lovely and so fresh and happy. Not a fan of the tilted photography, though. I'd like to see more of your home. Adding you to my favorites. Good luck.

posted by robertspeg on April 14, 2011 at 1:40pm
view robertspeg's profile

Love those fresh, bright colors - I think I would just walk in your home and feel happy no matter what.

posted by eclectic-chick on April 14, 2011 at 1:49pm
view eclectic-chick's profile

I also love your colors (please tell us the name of that aqua blue), but...why are your pictures all crazily tilted?

posted by Cassis on April 14, 2011 at 2:12pm
view Cassis's profile

Love the yellow and turquoise!

posted by ModHomekeeper on April 14, 2011 at 2:25pm
view ModHomekeeper's profile

I like your couch and throw cushions, and black & white accessories but the rest is not doing it for me. The yellow and green against those blue walls is not working, the reddish/orange tones in the bookcase in your dining room are working well against that blue. You've got some great blue pieces in the first photo but they look lost against the blue wall. In the study, that yellow bird is sweet but again is lost again that green wall. The water cooler?

posted by A Labour of Love on April 14, 2011 at 5:38pm
view A Labour of Love's profile

Turquoise and green – my colours. Your place is beautiful. It reminds me a beautiful summer day, on the beach. Please share source for the green lamp.

posted by little one on April 14, 2011 at 5:43pm
view little one's profile

I love the credenza. The yellow is brave and awesome.

posted by knitsmcgee on April 14, 2011 at 5:51pm
view knitsmcgee's profile

YAY Bothell!

posted by mimimargarita on April 14, 2011 at 5:58pm
view mimimargarita's profile

I love your couch and the peacock coloured boxes in the fourth picture. I'm curious about where you found both items.

posted by ShadowLotus on April 14, 2011 at 6:31pm
view ShadowLotus's profile

love the colors, LOVE the green print lamp! I do wish the pictures had been taken at less of an angle, it is hard to see the space properly.

posted by lizb on April 14, 2011 at 7:09pm
view lizb's profile

I used to have that credenza - it was one of my dumpster dive finds and I was just amazed that someone was throwing it away. But it didn't my home so I put a big bow on it and gave it to a friend for her bday. Every time I see it I wish I could magically expand my living space. It looks great with the turquoise. It really pops.

posted by Pamela L on April 14, 2011 at 7:18pm
view Pamela L's profile

I love the colors and how cheerful it is! I had to chuckle a little at her description though. She said she toned it down? If that's toning it down then what was her old apartment like? Also she said she has subtle colors with a pop of color in the right places? hmmm, I don't really see any subtle colors. I do love it though, very bright and fun. Your home really sets your mood and I bet this color scheme keeps them upbeat!

posted by sweethomesweet on April 14, 2011 at 7:40pm
view sweethomesweet's profile

I think it's funny that you wrote: "our last apt was very wild with all the walls painted a different color... wanted to tone it down a notch... i like the subtle colors we have with a pop of color in just the right places."

If you were ask me to describe this apartment, I would say, bold, bright colors, not describe it as "subtle" or "toned down." I wonder what the other apartment looked like!

posted by hertels on April 14, 2011 at 7:41pm
view hertels's profile

I love the colors but I really wish the pictures had displayed more of the apartment - I for one am dying to see it!

posted by Sie1234 on April 14, 2011 at 8:33pm
view Sie1234's profile

Wow....this is really weird, but I'm pretty sure you live in the same apartment complex as my parents! Small world! The fireplace and the layout is exactly the same.

posted by nanatasha on April 14, 2011 at 10:35pm
view nanatasha's profile

Thank you all for your positive/negative feedback.

The paint is Benjamin Moore. It's a custom mix of crystal clear and bermuda teal.

The green lamp is from Urban Outfitters.

The tilted photos!? Well, that's just my photography style. :)

The water cooler!? It's a very functional piece in our house. We don't have a fancy fridge with filtered water nor do we have great tasting tap water.

The metal filing boxes are vintage and the couch is from Dania.

Well, for me this is waaaay toned down. Our last apt had- lime green, bright blue, watermelon pink, sunshine yellow, orange and it was all high gloss paint. On top of that all my accessories and furniture were a different color. It was just way too much. For me this is very "subtle". :D

Thanks again everyone, I love to hear feedback.

posted by lolliesmith on April 14, 2011 at 10:47pm
view lolliesmith's profile

I'm sorry, but I'm finding it rather over-styled. Most of the shelves appear to serve no purpose other than to support mass-produced featureware.

It's a nice bold yet feminine use of colour, but perhaps dial the frou-frou down a bit?

posted by Blandwagon on April 14, 2011 at 11:00pm
view Blandwagon's profile

The yellow trollsta credenza makes it! :)

posted by rajaune on April 14, 2011 at 11:55pm
view rajaune's profile

It´s so big... Two beedrooms, two bathrooms, several closets... I want it!

posted by Ofelia on April 15, 2011 at 1:24am
view Ofelia's profile

I love it! The colors are very my style. I can name the source of the vast majority of the pieces, so if it were me I'd want to add a few personal touches though.

posted by k100468384 on April 15, 2011 at 1:39pm
view k100468384's profile

My two favorite colors!!!

posted by katie apple on April 15, 2011 at 3:05pm
view katie apple's profile

Love your use of color & the details!

Would probably go for different colored couch/sofa (& tap water:), overall, love the place!!

posted by iLayla on April 16, 2011 at 8:41am
view iLayla's profile

why are the pictures crooked...?

posted by thekatpack on April 16, 2011 at 1:57pm
view thekatpack's profile

I have a hard time understanding this house by the photos.

posted by Ban Clothing on April 16, 2011 at 2:45pm
view Ban Clothing's profile

I wouldn't call these colors subtle either, but I love your place. It is beautifully balanced and fresh! I love the green lamp and shade, very different. It is girly, I don't think a guy would live there, but have what you love. Great job!

posted by Cymansezdesign_ on April 16, 2011 at 8:41pm
view Cymansezdesign_'s profile

I love the colour combo. I also tilt my pictures. I didn't realize it was so annoying to people.

posted by House Voyeur on April 17, 2011 at 11:38pm
view House Voyeur's profile

LOVE the combination of aqua with yellow!! Also a huge fan of the green- adds great color without overdoing it. Everything balances out nicely with the white shelves.

posted by ShaunaLuscious on April 18, 2011 at 8:33am
view ShaunaLuscious's profile

Like the graphic contrast. In particular, the white radiator cover topped with an apple green lamp, black candlesticks, and a black lacquered mirror. Angled picture frames just seem right to me.

posted by prairiepearl on April 19, 2011 at 12:45am
view prairiepearl's profile

Darling color scheme!

posted by Betsy Olsson on April 24, 2011 at 1:29am
view Betsy Olsson's profile

I love, love, love your apartment! Where did you get the wall shelves? I have been looking for the same wall shelves but can't seem to find any that are the right dimensions. Thanks!

posted by jh29 on April 25, 2011 at 11:58pm
view jh29's profile