Tamar's Sunny Studio

Name:

Tamar

New York, New York

Division:

Teeny-Tiny

Square Feet:

What I Love About My Home

i love how spacious my studio feel even though the main living area is only 12 x 19.5 feet. i have great high ceilings and beautiful pre war molding that works in conjunction with my modern style. i get great sunlight during the day and at night i can lay in bed and look directly at the neon lit sign of the famous Chelsea Hotel. i love coming home to my apartment every day and all the effort in painting, decorating, hanging (and rehanging) pictures has all paid off in the end!

Biggest Challenge in Furnishing My Home

the biggest challenge was to keep my studio feeling open and spacious while still conforming to my need for storage and separate "rooms" within the apartment. my furniture is all low and has legs so it gives the feeling of more space by seeing the floor underneath everything. i tried to get pieces that were multifunctional and learned to really organize my closets so the apartment does not feel cluttered or have too many storage pieces. i debated getting a partition or screen between my bed and the couch to break off the space and make the bedroom area more private, but in the end i chose not to have anything extra that would add weight or take natural light away from the main room. instead i worked with my rug, artwork and couch to make a distinction between the rooms. now i just need to make sure i make my bed every day!

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (67)

my fave so far!

posted by laurakins on April 21, 2011 at 12:27am
view laurakins's profile

cute space!

definitely want to know about the rug... it's great.

posted by Ashley_Maas on April 14, 2011 at 10:38am
view Ashley_Maas's profile

Where's the cute little moose head from? And with that kitchen, there's my third hint today that I need to paint something green.

posted by csc76 on April 14, 2011 at 12:24pm
view csc76's profile

I am, ahem, green with kitchen envy. Adorable.

posted by mk on April 14, 2011 at 8:54am
view mk's profile

that console table and red chairs seems a great small space option for desk, dining, guests, kitchen.

I couldn't do with so little stuff, but it looks great esp the kitchen color.

posted by ec05 on April 14, 2011 at 9:05am
view ec05's profile

although I hate animal head decor, you got my vote. Cute.

posted by delg23 on April 14, 2011 at 9:32am
view delg23's profile

adorable!

posted by LauraInCancun on April 14, 2011 at 10:28am
view LauraInCancun's profile

Love your kitchen. The colour, the arch. Just lovely!

posted by owlmug on April 14, 2011 at 10:52am
view owlmug's profile

Is that the "sweater rug" from West Elm?

posted by designstein on April 14, 2011 at 10:35am
view designstein's profile

I love the transparent coffee table. It really helps keep the space open. Does anyone know who makes it?

posted by marzapane on April 14, 2011 at 10:36am
view marzapane's profile

Thanks for your comments and glad you enjoy!

My rug is the sweater rug from west elm. It's super cozy. Highly recommend it!
And the acrylic coffee table is from CB2.

posted by tsl on April 14, 2011 at 10:49am
view tsl's profile

I ADORE the clear, open spaces. I also think the round cornered bookshelf is awesome; I must consider one of those...

posted by Shadlyn on April 14, 2011 at 11:12am
view Shadlyn's profile

I like it alot, but may I suggest something? You say you dont want a partition or screen to separate the bedroom area from the living room as you dont want to add weight or take away natural light... What if you used a white fringe curtain to create this partition instead of a piece of furniture?

You could even install a folding metal arm/pole on the wall from which the curtain would hang, so that when you dont want the space to be partitioned, you simply push it/fold it against the wall and it could act as a feature above the bed..

Double use. and just a suggestion..

posted by seeking perfection on April 14, 2011 at 11:27am
view seeking perfection's profile

I love the table between the bed and couch, and the natural light is lovely!

posted by HernandoHouse on April 14, 2011 at 12:22pm
view HernandoHouse's profile

Nice choice on the lucite coffee table and chair - they definitely open things up.

posted by foogiefive on April 14, 2011 at 12:06pm
view foogiefive's profile

I often feel that modern decor mutes the owners personality a bit, but not with your place! I feel like your apartment speaks highly of you. If I had to guess I would say that you are open, thoughtful, tolerant, organized, and playful :-)

posted by Nancy_Claire on April 14, 2011 at 12:13pm
view Nancy_Claire's profile

Looks fantastic! I like the fake moose head, it's a cute touch.

posted by MeredithK02 on April 14, 2011 at 12:28pm
view MeredithK02's profile

so flowy. nice!! one qustion I have is, where is the bathroom? I couldn't tell from the layout print.

posted by pier723 on April 14, 2011 at 12:25pm
view pier723's profile

I just wonder where you store your stuff? You know clothes, books, bedding, towels....all that...

posted by diridi on April 14, 2011 at 12:26pm
view diridi's profile

Wow! You've made a really small space look very spacious. Nicely done. Love the coffee table and all the natural light!

posted by Tracy333 on April 14, 2011 at 12:58pm
view Tracy333's profile

Lovely, clean. I admire your discipline.

posted by KayinKCMO on April 14, 2011 at 1:15pm
view KayinKCMO's profile

love it!!!
omg! it's great!!!

posted by ticca on April 14, 2011 at 2:16pm
view ticca's profile

Beautiful, simple, clean. Good job. Adding to favorites.

posted by robertspeg on April 14, 2011 at 1:42pm
view robertspeg's profile

Very charming! I love the West Elm duvet. Your photos convinced me I need to purchase one. I have been debating it for a couple of days. Love the purple accents in the green kitchen. That is the color scheme in my kitchen. A definite favorite!

posted by estrellitas on April 14, 2011 at 2:13pm
view estrellitas's profile

Love the clear coffee table-- it works so well in your space, and it almost looks like your books are floating which is awesome! I agree with the poster above me... your discipline in choosing key decor elements makes your space look really refined :)

posted by maechevrette on April 14, 2011 at 3:34pm
view maechevrette's profile

Very nice. I think I'd see how it felt if you swiveled the sofa parallel with the bed so IT divides the space and put your TV where the table is now. (Swap them.) That way you would have the division of space even better delineated, giving the bed a bit more of a sense of privacy, since your back would be to it when you (or guests) are sitting on the sofa. (Just a thought.)

You have a lot of discipline to keep a small space feeling so spacious!

posted by SherryBinNH on April 14, 2011 at 3:55pm
view SherryBinNH's profile

I love your studio! Your space flows very well. Now when I move to NYC, I may strongly consider a space this size. Well done!

posted by nycbound on April 14, 2011 at 4:14pm
view nycbound's profile

Love your red radiator and green kitchen!

posted by Cliffie93 on April 14, 2011 at 4:59pm
view Cliffie93's profile

Seriously, no bathroom??

posted by googerber on April 14, 2011 at 5:30pm
view googerber's profile

But I do love what you've done with your apartment. I should have added that.

posted by googerber on April 14, 2011 at 5:31pm
view googerber's profile

i second diridi's comment - where is your storage space? you mentioned closets but i dont see any in these photos or floor plan.

posted by aliciajayn on April 14, 2011 at 5:33pm
view aliciajayn's profile

such a great apt... looks even better in person!

posted by antloveskicks on April 14, 2011 at 5:36pm
view antloveskicks's profile

looks more spacious than some entries twice its size!

posted by ellerden15 on April 14, 2011 at 6:03pm
view ellerden15's profile

This is lovely - just the right amount of "stuff" to keep it warm but not one bit cluttered. Agree that it looks much more spacious than much bigger places.

posted by Gallivant on April 14, 2011 at 6:10pm
view Gallivant's profile

I imagine I'm in the minority, but I'm not too hot on the overwhelming green in the kitchen. I second the idea of a sheer or other light curtain to separate the bed space. But really both of those are just my taste.

There's so much good here, that even without my suggestions, I had to favorite it. The acrylic table, as others have mentioned it fantastic piece for a room of this size. The mirror on the bathroom door isn't a new idea, but there's no need to reinvent the wheel when some thing tried and true offers both utility and opens up the space. The console table is great and well placed. So much livability, especially considering the contraints.

posted by aexley on April 14, 2011 at 6:33pm
view aexley's profile

thank you all so much for the lovely comments, they are so nice to read! and to answer a few of your questions...

those inquiring about the bathroom, it is on my floorplan as the small room with the tiled floor and bath/sink/toilet. as well in the picture it is the door next to my dining table with the mirror on it.

@csc76 the moose head is from west elm, though i am pretty sure you can find it online too. its made out of cardboard and was like a puzzle putting together

@diridi & @aliciajayn i have two closets in the foyer/kitchen. you can sort of see them as boxes on my floorplan. i have become very creative with them, shelving on the floors for shoes as well as high above for storage. my clothes are all in the white dresser/tv stand and the tall wood dresser. books are in the unit next to the tv, on the coffee table and also stacked on the bottom shelf of my bedside table. i have also really learned to downsize!

thanks again for all your comments!

posted by tsl on April 14, 2011 at 6:36pm
view tsl's profile

I love the pink ForLikeEver poster :))

posted by geeky_geekrson on April 14, 2011 at 7:17pm
view geeky_geekrson's profile

A sunny place for a sunny face! The only thing we are missing is little Jackie :)

posted by Danya on April 14, 2011 at 7:39pm
view Danya's profile

I had exactly the same thought process as seeking perfection. I used to have a black wrought iron four poster bed, with sheer white curtains. It would look perfect in this space, especially with the high ceiling. The light from the windows would still be able to enter the room through the sheer curtains. And if you don't have time to make your bed - just close the curtains!

posted by piggylittle on April 14, 2011 at 8:34pm
view piggylittle's profile

so lovely, and amazingly spacious looking! were is the pretty duvet from?

posted by belliott on April 15, 2011 at 6:11pm
view belliott's profile

I love this. And favorited. And my one change has nothing to do with the bed and everything to do with moving that ghost chair out to sit at an angle facing the sofa. I know it breaks up the wide open space, which is so valuable in a small place, but it would make the place feel a little more relaxed and conversational. As of right now, all your furniture is standing at attention all in a row. Might be nice to break that up.

Nonetheless, it's still quite pleasant!

posted by unabridged on April 14, 2011 at 9:23pm
view unabridged's profile

i hate lucite but it works incredibly well here. love the painted radiator & the restraint (i.e. editing) your sense of color is awesome - saturated red, purple & green are perfectly complementary in intensity. i'd like to see the art lower & closer together to be more cohesive. nice!

posted by siska on April 14, 2011 at 9:36pm
view siska's profile

very cool. And I definutely LOVE the choice of an intense kitchen color to liven up the white rental cabinets. Agree with siska about the art but, overall very cool.

posted by OggDefying on April 14, 2011 at 10:57pm
view OggDefying's profile

One of my favorites. It is a beautiful space to begin with, your well edited choices only enhanced it.

Love the pink radiator :-)

posted by mauishopgirl on April 14, 2011 at 10:59pm
view mauishopgirl's profile

love your studio especially because I live in the same 'size', so Im pretty aware of meaning of tiny. (you can take a look at international entries).. your home is lovely and bright! :)

posted by Gorica on April 15, 2011 at 12:39am
view Gorica's profile

I like it. The chair, the little table, the coffe table, the bookshelves...

posted by Ofelia on April 15, 2011 at 1:18am
view Ofelia's profile

I love your space - it is perfectly Tamar! Great job!

posted by chad david on April 15, 2011 at 1:18pm
view chad david's profile

I like this. Simple, clean and functional. Minimalism is the new black!

posted by Naoki9 on April 15, 2011 at 3:09pm
view Naoki9's profile

So lovely! perfect mixture of personal and calm.

posted by ADodson on April 15, 2011 at 7:00pm
view ADodson's profile

any where with a ghost chair gets my vote

posted by illestwifey on April 15, 2011 at 7:22pm
view illestwifey's profile

I can't believe this is less than 300sq feet!! The perfect rectangle layout makes it great for furnishing! great space!!

posted by mattNmags on April 15, 2011 at 10:22pm
view mattNmags's profile

I love the kitchen shot!!!

posted by Barns on April 15, 2011 at 10:07pm
view Barns's profile

Love the green kitchen - and it all looks huge, yup!! Great work!
(I do wonder about your storage a bit :) Oh, I read the comment about storage - WOW, you are very disciplined with the clothes! I admire you!! :)

posted by iLayla on April 16, 2011 at 10:56am
view iLayla's profile

Simply put, it is lovely. And it looks like a place where a real person lives. I'm moving soon to a studio with the same layout (Just a rectangular room with windows at the end) with roughly the same size (if not smaller). I'm thinking of putting my bed the other way with the foot of the bed meeting the windows and putting a love seat against the headboard with a sheer white curtain between them. Hopefully that'll give me room for a dining table. I don't know if that will work but I'm just thinking out aloud! Your place is very inspiring for me!

posted by owlmug on April 16, 2011 at 2:38pm
view owlmug's profile

I love ideas!

posted by Ludmila GuimarĂ£es on April 16, 2011 at 4:16pm
view Ludmila GuimarĂ£es's profile

@belliot the duvet is from west elm. They have great bedding there. I paired it with striped shams and patterned sheets!

posted by tsl on April 16, 2011 at 6:50pm
view tsl's profile

Great job! I love the kitchen, green is my favorite color. It does feel very spacious.

posted by Cymansezdesign_ on April 16, 2011 at 8:36pm
view Cymansezdesign_'s profile

Points taken off because the bed is not screened off. Makes it look like a dorm room. There are any number of excellent and affordable solutions to create a light-filled and airy sleeping area using a shoji screen; semi-sheer or scrim drapes ; even a freestanding etagere would help. And, it would add architectural interest and a sense of privacy.

posted by aychihuahua on April 17, 2011 at 5:19pm
view aychihuahua's profile

This really is a fab little space. You've done a wonderful job.

posted by dicey1 on April 18, 2011 at 10:38pm
view dicey1's profile

Especially fond of the bold green in the kitchen and the diner table chairs rock. One of my favs.

posted by prairiepearl on April 19, 2011 at 12:50am
view prairiepearl's profile

Love the green kitchen! Very nicely done.

posted by olderworker on April 20, 2011 at 6:38pm
view olderworker's profile

I really like the minimal approach and pops of color. I just don't know if I would have gone St. Patty's green in the kitchen.

Excellent space, combo use of clear/lucite furniture. Love the radiator.

posted by warlesha21 on April 20, 2011 at 8:44pm
view warlesha21's profile

Gorgeous. I love how open you have kept the living area--looks great!

posted by KristieS on April 23, 2011 at 11:30pm
view KristieS's profile

Hi,

I just saw your apartment and love it!

Who makes your sofa? And how big is your tv?

I am going to copy your apartment for my own :)

Thanks!

posted by monicas on May 13, 2011 at 2:48pm
view monicas's profile

ng... excuse me, but can you open the refrigerator ?

posted by adrianarmando on August 15, 2011 at 1:45am
view adrianarmando's profile

Tamar, I LOVE what you did with your apartment! I am moving into something with exactly the same living space, and your design is great inspiration! Can you tell me where the console table/chairs are from? And/or the dimensions?

posted by alg1219 on September 24, 2011 at 9:18pm
view alg1219's profile

Tamar, where is your console table from?

posted by alg1219 on September 25, 2011 at 10:47am
view alg1219's profile