Jordan's Light, Location & Vibe

Name:

Jordan

brooklyn, New York

Division:

Tiny

Square Feet:

What I Love About My Home

it's a three way tie: the light :: i have windows on three sides of my apt which is unheard of here; i have a ton of natural light. the location :: williamsburg is wonderful and only one stop away from manhattan. the vibe :: i wanted a space that was welcoming and restorative, for myself + others. not counting all the guests i've had visit from out of town, my friends from the area seem to love congregating here. once my book club used my apartment even when i couldn't attend. i love that.

Biggest Challenge in Furnishing My Home

storage. there is one closet, in the living room and one built in in the kitchen. therefore, everything has drawers or shelves (side table, coffee table, bed, lockers etc) . it took some creativity, but so far it's worked out wonderfully.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (212)

Gorgeous. Warm and inviting!

posted by msvalery on April 13, 2011 at 10:24am
view msvalery's profile

The placement of the bed is so interesting! I never would have thought of that. Everything looks great.

posted by Rae N on April 13, 2011 at 8:56pm
view Rae N's profile

I absolutely love your living room! Such a great color palette and I am so jealous of all your natural light.

posted by jennamariee on April 13, 2011 at 1:22am
view jennamariee's profile

I want to live in your place, I also heart williamsburg.

posted by Jreyna87 on April 13, 2011 at 3:04pm
view Jreyna87's profile

Really quite like the apartment! I especially like the couch.

posted by nutmeg21 on April 12, 2011 at 9:05am
view nutmeg21's profile

kinda odd how you didn't put your bedroom where your living room is at and visa versa...but I still dig it!

posted by Coletta (rhymes with velveeta) on April 12, 2011 at 9:50am
view Coletta (rhymes with velveeta)'s profile

Jordan, your space is pretty beautiful. I also think the couch is spectacular-can I have it? Your right about all the bright light. This is the best break up of a bedroom that I've seen from all the entries posted. I even like the kitchen floor...

posted by Otilly on April 12, 2011 at 9:38am
view Otilly's profile

great job

posted by nyceastvill on April 12, 2011 at 10:14am
view nyceastvill's profile

beautiful!

posted by lunazzurra on April 12, 2011 at 10:33am
view lunazzurra's profile

hell yeah

posted by azaleasmoke on April 12, 2011 at 10:39am
view azaleasmoke's profile

thanks folks!

regarding the couch, it was a $100 craigslist FIND! some parents handed it down to their 20-something son (after having it sit for a decade or more in their unused formal living room!) and he decided it wasn't his style. ;) it's a well-known brand, incredibly made. needless to say, i was doing a happy-dance.

collete, regarding your comment about the use of the space. your suggestion is actually how it's "suppose" to be but i switched it intentionally because the current living room allows for more people to gather which was a value i had for my space.

posted by 3floorsup on April 12, 2011 at 10:47am
view 3floorsup's profile

Wow! I love how you switched the living & bedroom! That skinny room works really well as a combo bedroom/office. Plus, your couch & coffee table are amazing. Kudos!

posted by tarabellucci on April 12, 2011 at 10:53am
view tarabellucci's profile

Favorite so far.

posted by Florenceeva on April 12, 2011 at 10:57am
view Florenceeva's profile

This is my favorite so far, as well. I love how your central furniture pieces are super functional for storage, like for "coffee table" (that cabinet rules) and the bar in your kitchen.

Awesome space, I could live there in a hearbeat.

posted by DipDipDive on April 12, 2011 at 11:16am
view DipDipDive's profile

heartbeat*

posted by DipDipDive on April 12, 2011 at 11:17am
view DipDipDive's profile

saved a couple of these pics to my inspiration folder. I think this is my favourite so far as well, and makes me wish I had painted my place white / light grey :(

posted by azaleasmoke on April 12, 2011 at 11:38am

By the way, who did the incredible robin's egg art in the living room?

posted by azaleasmoke on April 12, 2011 at 12:18pm

regarding the egg painting :: it's a seattle artist, christen mattix [ christenmattix.com ] and i know she made prints of it + sells them on etsy.

regarding the coffee table :: one of my proudest DIY moments. wanted a flat file forever. finally bought one, stripped the paint, and added wheels. it holds paper/art supplies while being a fantastic coffee table!

posted by 3floorsup on April 12, 2011 at 12:31pm
view 3floorsup's profile

love it... LOVE IT!

posted by Anky BLN on April 12, 2011 at 12:32pm
view Anky BLN's profile

The positioning of the bed? A tiny bit of brilliance (pun intended). Love the "experience" of the wood floors.

posted by cvgmiami on April 12, 2011 at 12:39pm
view cvgmiami's profile

Well I am just tickled that this made it in. Whoever told Jordan that it was that time of year again should be thanked. Definitely.

This place is brilliance. I hope to see it in person one of these days.

posted by limes on April 12, 2011 at 12:45pm
view limes's profile

Wow. (Yes, the positioning of the bed-- it's not what I would have thought of, which is why I'm so impressed, ha.) This is just fantastic, what a beautiful job you have done here.

posted by Juliet___ on April 12, 2011 at 12:51pm
view Juliet___'s profile

Also, I think this is my favourite of all the entries so far. Swooning over here.

posted by Juliet___ on April 12, 2011 at 12:58pm
view Juliet___'s profile

Love It! You have so much style! Come back and help my house.... I think you have done a wonderful job with your space, so cute, so functional, so you.

posted by CharissaCarroll on April 12, 2011 at 1:23pm
view CharissaCarroll's profile

i've had the good fortune to have been in this space, and it's every bit as delicious in person as it looks here!

posted by michelle miller on April 12, 2011 at 1:24pm
view michelle miller's profile

this is definitely my favorite! What is the art work on the wall by your desk? It looks interesting.

posted by Pebbles on April 12, 2011 at 2:00pm
view Pebbles's profile

Wow, are you really a host of a book club in your apartment? I would love to hear some of the topics you've discussed! Is it something job-related or rather a passion?

Beautifully decorated space btw, congrats.

posted by Éva Torgyik on April 12, 2011 at 4:27pm
view Éva Torgyik's profile

pebbles :: the art work is by a friend, wanda batdorf + it's a pencil and ink drawing. it's amazing. she has drawn countless little...well, pebbles, if you will, and two of them have some red ink. i love it too.

eva :: thank you. i HIGHLY recommend book clubs! really, it's a group of my girlfriends who get together on the same friday of every month and discuss a book chosen previously. besides reading some great books + having interesting conversation, there's always the food, drink, and simply being together that makes the evening priceless.

posted by 3floorsup on April 12, 2011 at 6:32pm
view 3floorsup's profile

I love this space - nicely done! Is it awkward for guests to work through your bedroom area to get to the living room?

I would love to paint my place that pale pale blue-white. What color paint did you use? Is it the same throughout?

Thanks for sharing!

posted by turnofthepage on April 12, 2011 at 6:39pm
view turnofthepage's profile

Bathroom Part A and Bathroom Part B? This must make sense to others, but can you explain what's going on in your kitchen/bathroom hybrid? Regardless, (and maybe with the exception of the bare CFL bulb in the bedroom), this is great!

posted by azr2005 on April 12, 2011 at 6:45pm
view azr2005's profile

i still happen to be on here, so i'll respond to the last two comments. :)

turnofthepage :: i was a little nervous about the walk-through element, especially since i moved from seattle and small spaces like this aren't quite as common as in nyc. BUT it's been FINE! i think there's a different set of expectations when so many people live in small spaces. although i've had a ton of guests, 99.9% of them have been good enough friends that it's been fine. and heck, anyone staying with me is thrilled they're not paying for a hotel. therefore, only praises. :)

unfortunately, i can't tell you the paint color as it's what was here when i moved in. sorry.

azr2005 :: good question. what i've been told is that with these old railroad apartments (as they're called) the bathtub use to be (and sometimes still is) open to the rest of the kitchen, the toilet being closed off. somewhere along the line, my shower/tub was enclosed. so, part a = toilet; part b = sink + shower/tub.

thanks again everyone for your encouraging words!

posted by 3floorsup on April 12, 2011 at 6:56pm
view 3floorsup's profile

I love the fact that you have a lot of really well-curated furniture and artwork, and yet it's still airy and spacious. And I am soooo jealous of your flat file coffee table! Flat files are so darn expensive, and I've had no luck finding one on craigslist.

Also, is that a very fluffy kitty I see on your desk in the second photo? Hi kitty!

posted by emmelemm on April 12, 2011 at 7:39pm
view emmelemm's profile

Love love love... rug, couch, wide plank pine floors, and general laid-back vibe. Adding you to my faves. Good luck!

posted by annie-san on April 12, 2011 at 8:16pm
view annie-san's profile

i have also had the great pleasure of spending much time in this amazing apartment (with said book club.) the apartment is amazing, but the owner makes it even more amazing. congrats, j. it looks so so good.

posted by betsylp on April 12, 2011 at 8:27pm
view betsylp's profile

i want to go to there.
Nice job. My fav so far.

posted by hessilou on April 12, 2011 at 8:33pm
view hessilou's profile

This entry is exactly what I come to Small Cool hoping to see - well done!

posted by JoJenks on April 12, 2011 at 9:03pm
view JoJenks's profile

....can I join your book club and steal your couch, I mean discuss books?

posted by Otilly on April 12, 2011 at 9:15pm
view Otilly's profile

this is dreamy-- I didn't think I was going to find an apt in this year's contest that I loved or that would inspire me as much as in years past; your apartment disproves that. Absolutely lovely.

posted by gateaulove on April 12, 2011 at 9:37pm
view gateaulove's profile

love the apartment! top pick

posted by illinworth on April 12, 2011 at 10:50pm
view illinworth's profile

Love! Love! Finally registered just to comment. The unique use of space is just genius and exactly the type of inspiration I LOVE.

posted by swoodyut on April 12, 2011 at 11:09pm
view swoodyut's profile

i just submitted my place for teeny-tiny, but i can't not vote for this. i am crazy about your place. its absolutely fantastic.

posted by elizabeth11 on April 12, 2011 at 11:19pm
view elizabeth11's profile

that photo above your stove is the epitome of charm. is it real? a reproduction?

posted by elizabeth11 on April 12, 2011 at 11:21pm
view elizabeth11's profile

Deliriously beautiful WHITE, with those floors and that light and what a location for a bed. FABULOUS. I want to wake up there. Love your great place! Esp. love that coffee table, that doubles as a perfect flat for artwork filing cabinet. In fact, I looked at this three or four times, and each time noticed another smart and stylish storage solution. Well done!

posted by Wildsong on April 12, 2011 at 11:32pm
view Wildsong's profile

i have to say, i feel completely spoiled by your comments! this is too much fun! :)

elizabeth11 :: you're dear. thanks for your vote. i too have just HAD to vote for a couple, even if they are "competition." regarding the photo above the stove, those are my grandparents! my mom had that made for their 40th wedding anniversary (probably 25 or 30 years ago) and it sat on the floor, beside my grandparents' hutch in an ill-fitting frame for YEARS. i finally asked my grandma if i could have it; she was thrilled. i re-framed it and brought thor + eleanor to brooklyn with me. :)

posted by 3floorsup on April 12, 2011 at 11:48pm
view 3floorsup's profile

I know it has already been said multiple times, but putting the bed in the 'living' area is very clever. Not only do you get a good size living room, but you also freed up space to define an office area. The only thing I would do is different is put a sheer curtain up between the desk and hall to define the space as more private. Regardless, this is a FANTASTIC entry into the contest. Well done!

posted by aexley on April 13, 2011 at 12:09am
view aexley's profile

I thought about the curtain idea too, to define the bed space! But then I thought about what my cat would do, given a tempting curtain to climb on, and thought maybe not.
I'm happy to see that your place has garnerd 300+ votes just in one day, Jordan! I really hope to see this entry, at the very least, in the top five. Love it to bits.

posted by Juliet___ on April 13, 2011 at 1:09am
view Juliet___'s profile

I just came back for a second peek. LOVE the picture over the stove. And I'm so impressed by the living room - I swear if I tried to put that furniture together it would look weird. Good luck!

posted by Britomart on April 13, 2011 at 1:55am
view Britomart's profile

definitely one of my fave entries so far this year! hope it makes it to the next round so we can see more pics.

very nice but also looks comfortable and warm. bravo.

posted by kiwi on April 13, 2011 at 3:51am
view kiwi's profile

I love your apartment and I especially love the couch and that massive painting - it's spectacular. You have really good taste!

posted by Drops of Jupiter on April 13, 2011 at 4:11am
view Drops of Jupiter's profile

Jordan, how functional and beautiful. But from you how could it be anything but.

posted by dbowell on April 13, 2011 at 8:05am
view dbowell's profile

my new fave.

posted by Muesli on April 13, 2011 at 9:16am
view Muesli's profile

This is so inspiring!

posted by molperry on April 13, 2011 at 9:22am
view molperry's profile

I would just like to hang out in your home. You've done such a great job of making it stylish yet livable. I love the bedroom, too. It's all just a giant ball of awesomeness!

posted by thisismyname on April 13, 2011 at 9:22am
view thisismyname's profile

Arghh! I want that giant photo from the kitchen so bad! It's absurdly awesome!

On your floor plan, it says "Bathroom Part A" and "Bathroom Part B"...is the shower seperate from the WC?

Would love to see a House Tour!

posted by FrontPorchPirate on April 13, 2011 at 10:22am
view FrontPorchPirate's profile

Your apartment has great bones and so much beautiful light that pours in, making it appear much larger than 460 sq.ft!

I love your couch and how you have strategically hung all of your art in each room! The kitchen set up is amazing, love the brick backsplash and how you managed to find a bar that also functions as storage!

Gets my vote!

posted by Raaina on April 13, 2011 at 10:25am
view Raaina's profile

I have a railroad in W-burg too and my jam's set up exactly the same way. If you want your living room to be more than a place that you stare at a TV, then you have to set it up this way. The middle room is far too narrow to put seating arrangements opposite each other, ergo is not conducive to conversation. This is actually very very common in this neighborhood. Great job, Jordan! I just added you to my favs!

posted by SDazzle on April 13, 2011 at 11:04am
view SDazzle's profile

I want to sip on tea in that adorable kitchen!!

posted by Rosie Tosie on April 13, 2011 at 11:24am
view Rosie Tosie's profile

my favorite so far :)

posted by ticca on April 13, 2011 at 11:08am
view ticca's profile

Very cool Jordan! Next time I'm in town, I don't care who is sleeping on your floor, I want the personal tour!!!! : )

posted by JennBush on April 13, 2011 at 11:31am
view JennBush's profile

I just despise extremely neutral homes, with pale, neutral walls and no bright furnishings.

Except this apartment. This apartment ROCKS. I could learn to love neutrality if this is how it was done. The wonderful eclectic pieces keep the place from being the least little bit bland or cookie cutter. Love it love it love it! That couch! that flat file! That nest! Bravo!

posted by AmmoniteInk on April 13, 2011 at 11:41am
view AmmoniteInk's profile

This apartment is a peaceful oasis in the busy city. It has the perfect balance of visual interest and visual openness -- allowing for a creative mind like yours to work. It epitomizes the practice of merging form and function. I LOVE it.

posted by Kim Smolik on April 13, 2011 at 1:12pm
view Kim Smolik's profile

Love the giant painting in the Living Room. wish there was a more straight on pic of it.

posted by Betsy Olsson on April 13, 2011 at 2:46pm
view Betsy Olsson's profile

I live in a railroad as well and am totally inspired by your design. I also have just one closet although thankfully the bathroom is in one room, but I love the A,B bathroom! ha! LOVE this apartment!

posted by kinyama on April 13, 2011 at 2:49pm
view kinyama's profile

Great palette, furnishings, art, etc. You have a wonderful eye and lots of talent. My favourite thus far.

Thanks for the preview. Hope to see a home tour in the future.

posted by CanadianCapitalTownHouse on April 13, 2011 at 3:36pm
view CanadianCapitalTownHouse's profile

Definitely a top contender. Love the light and love your kitchen!

posted by CHATHAMGIRL97 on April 13, 2011 at 3:48pm
view CHATHAMGIRL97's profile

I can see why the book club likes to meet there.

posted by Lilly3 on April 13, 2011 at 4:08pm
view Lilly3's profile

I keep coming back to check on this. I like it more each time I see it.
rowena from pinterest

posted by rosymamacita on April 13, 2011 at 4:17pm
view rosymamacita's profile

I really like this. Is the white drop-leaf table next to the couch from IKEA? I've ben looking for one. Thanks.

posted by GothamTomato on April 13, 2011 at 4:24pm
view GothamTomato's profile

i really am having fun here folks. thanks for all your incredible, kind words! there are some compliments on here i'll be reminding myself of if i'm ever frustrated with something in my space. appreciate you taking the time!! a couple answers to questions...

frontporchpirate :: the photo is of my grandparents. my mom made it for an anniversary party 30 years ago + the majority of those years sitting on the ground beside my grandma's hutch. she was thrilled when i asked for it. a new frame + a move to brooklyn; just what they needed! ha! :)

and regarding my two part bathroom...ya, the shower/tub + sink is a + the wc is b. it's a throwback to when the bathtub use to just be in the middle of the kitchen. glad they enclosed it; that would have been awkward with house guests. :|

gothamtomato :: you nailed it! i wanted a table i could pull out and use for a sit down dinner party if i felt so inclined. found one at crate and barrel + ikea. since the functionality really was the same, ikea won out due to price and those FAB drawers.

rowena + juliet + britomart :: i love that you've stopped by more than once! i feel like i've got a cheering section. can't beat that!

xo
jordan

posted by 3floorsup on April 13, 2011 at 6:14pm
view 3floorsup's profile

can you come over and do our apartment?! Great job. Really, really nice!

posted by NYMSR on April 13, 2011 at 6:50pm
view NYMSR's profile

I keep going back and looking at the pictures, it is such a charming lovely space! I love the floors, the furniture....I love it all especially the Grandparents :)
Well done!

posted by S.J.P. on April 13, 2011 at 7:36pm
view S.J.P.'s profile

Hi Jordan,

I'm stopping by again for another comment! :)

I think people are really responding to your entry because it's genuinely a *difficult* space, in many ways, but you've made it look almost effortless.

I mean, there are lots of Small Cool entries that are beautifully and coherently decorated, and have some neat features, but at the end of the day they're just fairly standard room layouts that are smaller than average. And then there are some that are so small that all that fits are a bed, a chair and table. So while the homeowner has chosen those elements wisely, the options were so limited from the start.

Your place is just big enough that you can indulge in separate living, sleeping, working zones and have multiple pieces of beautiful furniture, but still small enough that you have to plan everything very, very carefully and make hard choices.

Anyway, great job.

posted by emmelemm on April 13, 2011 at 7:36pm
view emmelemm's profile

i love love love everything about your place! a favorite for sure : )

posted by victoria.zen on April 13, 2011 at 8:09pm
view victoria.zen's profile

great job!

posted by dr_met on April 14, 2011 at 4:51am
view dr_met's profile

Thanks for your comment, Jordan. We absolutely love your place and are inspired by the mix of modern and antique. Thanks for your vote. We couldn't help but vote for you too.

posted by michaelmohrphoto on April 13, 2011 at 9:45pm
view michaelmohrphoto's profile

megu77 :: now that's about as great of a compliment as one can get. :) thanks.

sjp :: did you notice my grandpa's short tie? i'm not sure it was the reaction he was going for, but.....ADORABLE!

emmelemm :: i think your observations are insightful. i know i'm always intrigued by homes that have resolved small space or difficult space issues. it's an added challenge, but when you hit that sweet spot...VIOLA! so satisfying.

for instance, i lived with my bedroom/office space flipped (bed near kitchen/desk near living room) for the first six months. i had clear reasons why i chose that but it just didn't quite work. my mom was visiting from california and did i take her to see the sites? nope. she was my other set of muscles (and she's wonderfully creative!). we were almost ready to quit, when i said, "you may think i'm crazy, but i just want to try one last thing..." bingo! it was actually a subtle change, but it completely resolved that which was bothering me.

it was 1 a.m.

mom's a trooper.

anyway, thanks for the comments emmelemm. well articulated and insightful.

michaelmohr. :: totally impressed you found me. :) i realized our living room dimensions are not off that much but we have our rooms set up in 'opposite ways'... my couch under the windows/shorter wall; you two have it on the corresponding wall. i think it's interesting to see the different effect this has. both options feel really comfortable to me + it's a good reminder if i get the "move furniture around" bug. i think we have a similar side table. different aesthetics, but there are definite common streams!

xo
j.

posted by 3floorsup on April 13, 2011 at 11:28pm
view 3floorsup's profile

I too, am another book clubber who gets to enjoy this amazing apartment (with matching kitty) on a regular basis. Congrats Jordan!

posted by Enanbird on April 14, 2011 at 4:00am
view Enanbird's profile

Favorite so far! Good bones and beautifully decorated.

posted by LillianDay on April 14, 2011 at 4:52am
view LillianDay's profile

Amazing! Love your space, your use of colours is great!

posted by nicolezh on April 14, 2011 at 5:15am
view nicolezh's profile

Very well done...and, ooh...those floors!

posted by junklover on April 14, 2011 at 11:52am
view junklover's profile

LOVE! I love the way you worked with the quirks of an older space, while making it comfortable and combining a wide variety of styles!
Easily my favorite Small Cool so far!

posted by chinook2006 on April 14, 2011 at 11:56am
view chinook2006's profile

so awesome!!! your space is so far on the top of my list for favorite.

What was also interesting I wanted to add is that your name is gender neutral so on the first peruse of your place I was like oh nicely done dude. nicely done. It wasn't until the 2nd click thru I realized it might be a female hand and I appreciated it even more- the delve hand you did at decorating. Balancing the masculine and the feminine just perfect.

posted by Vintagehoney on April 14, 2011 at 12:24pm
view Vintagehoney's profile

vintagehoney, i love that! :) what a kick. yes, your second go around revealed my true gender. my aesthetic in most things, not just interior, does end up being a good dose of both masculinity and femininity so i think your through process was spot on. i value both deeply...and find that both men + women are comfortable in my space, which i love.

susuanbird mentioned that my cat matches my apt. ya, pretty scary. totally unintentional but she's two-toned grey with blue eyes. i got a good chuckle, a a bit of a blush when i realized she fit so perfectly in. i guess i just know what i like.

thanks everyone for the comments. you are making my DAY(S)! this has been so fun, even if i don't end up as a finalist (which would be great, don't get me wrong). :)

j.

posted by 3floorsup on April 14, 2011 at 2:09pm
view 3floorsup's profile

This is so pretty! Love all the colours. And the couch. And the giant... robin's eggs painting? I might be mistaken but your apartment is reminiscent of Meryl Streep's in The Hours.

posted by owlmug on April 14, 2011 at 9:56pm
view owlmug's profile

owlmug :: i don't remember the specifics as it's been a longtime since i've seen the hours BUT i remember loving it. i'm up late working and you've just given me a bit of a boost. thanks!

posted by 3floorsup on April 14, 2011 at 10:31pm
view 3floorsup's profile

I absolutely love your choice for living room and bedroom/office. You have truly used your space perfectly. Great furniture pieces and art. Great style.

posted by Christie333 on April 15, 2011 at 6:42am
view Christie333's profile

I think you scored and have done very well for yourself with that apartment. I'd give you a vote... if only we weren't competing! I'm jealous of those floors. It looks like you could punch out the transom over the door between your bedroom and living room and replace it with glass...

posted by voiture12 on April 15, 2011 at 6:52pm
view voiture12's profile

I have to say, this one tugged at my heart....I grew up in a railroad apt. in Brooklyn.

I love it all...but when I got to the kitchen!!!

I just love what you have brought to your place...style, charm, a mix of vintage and modern that just says....Welcome Home!

posted by joyia on April 17, 2011 at 9:10am
view joyia's profile

GREAT taste. I really like your space. Great coffee table!

posted by DB Modern on April 17, 2011 at 1:01pm
view DB Modern's profile

house voyeur :: i'm impressed you read them all. :) (btw, love your name).

posted by 3floorsup on April 18, 2011 at 12:56am
view 3floorsup's profile

I love the light in your apartment! And the rest is beautiful too!!!

posted by Erinsu on April 17, 2011 at 10:55pm
view Erinsu's profile

Wonderful. I have to say I am impressed as you have received so many comments and not one negative remark.

posted by House Voyeur on April 18, 2011 at 12:30am
view House Voyeur's profile

Jordan, I saw the comment you posted on my wall...thanks! We are pretty excited to have passed 1000, but we realize that there are still many days to go. Not to mention that the competition is strong. :)

Congratulations to you for entering late, and getting to the top of your category so quickly! I'm not surprise though, as your place looks amazing.

posted by michaelmohrphoto on April 18, 2011 at 7:55am

I really, really hope this stays on top.

posted by azaleasmoke on April 18, 2011 at 10:18am

azaleasmoke :: *perma-grin* it is definitely a close one! since i entered a week after the contest started, i didn't think i had a chance, but the AT community has been SO encouraging. this has been a very fun experience.
xo
j.

posted by 3floorsup on April 18, 2011 at 11:31am
view 3floorsup's profile

Great space, beautiful! Curious, b/c I'm looking for a comfy, space-saving reading chair for my bedroom - but is the leather butterfly chair comfortable? I mean, grab a book-cozy up in a chair comfortable? And is that the malm bed from ikea? If not, where did you get it b/c I'm looking for a storage bed for my bedroom? It looks like it is raised taller than the malm bed from IKEA, how low it was to the ground is my main reason for not getting it. While I don't want a tall bed, I also don't want my pup making it her permanent lounge space...

posted by KimberM on April 18, 2011 at 11:57am
view KimberM's profile

kimberM :: regarding the chair, here's the deal: if i have to chose, i usually pick to curl up in another spot BUT i do still sit in it often and love it. i wanted a chair that i could fold up + get of the way because it's in the middle of my "guest room". :) for that reason, it's FAB!! also, i'm 5'10". i'd assume that if you're not as tall, it could be more of a curl up chair. with a pillow + blanket though, it's cozy; i've sat there for hours watching a dvd. i got it a couple years ago at urban outfitters. they could still have them.

re: the bed, not the malm but it is from ikea. it's the mandal. when i got it, the drawers only came in black, so i painted them, but i just looked it up + it now comes in white too. it's been fantastic. from the floor to the top of the mattress it's around 19" so it's not terribly tall. the drawers have been a life saver.

good luck pulling your room together!

posted by 3floorsup on April 18, 2011 at 12:31pm
view 3floorsup's profile

Glad I could bring a smile :) Also, currently talking with the robyn's egg artist (Christen) about buying some prints and maybe, just maybe, an original. Thanks for the tip!

posted by azaleasmoke on April 18, 2011 at 12:51pm

I LOVE THAT!!! that is awesome, azeleasmoke! christen is a gem. i hope you end up with something that you cherish as much as i love my nest. woo-hoo!

posted by 3floorsup on April 18, 2011 at 12:57pm
view 3floorsup's profile

I really love the eclectic mix of modern and traditional. Such a cool space! Good luck!

posted by D2 pad on April 18, 2011 at 1:49pm
view D2 pad's profile

Yeah I'm pretty excited ... wish there was a way to contact posters on here ... I'm currently planning some changes in my place and would love your input on the options! Figure someone whose place you love is a good place to start :)

posted by azaleasmoke on April 18, 2011 at 1:59pm

3floorsup - Thanks for all the info! And yes, I meant the mandal bed. If I could raise it up just slightly, I think it would be perfect... for the price. How have your drawers held up? I read a few reviews that sounded like a some people had trouble with them, but some fixed that problem by reinforcing them with plywood. Again, thanks!

posted by KimberM on April 18, 2011 at 5:42pm
view KimberM's profile

kimberm :: regarding the drawers on the bed, i haven't had to reinforce them BUT i could see why folks say that. once the bottom slipped out of one, but it was an easy fix. i've had the bed for over a year and a half. sounds like the plywood is good alternative though if need be.

azeleasmoke :: does AT have a forum like that? where you could get the feedback of other readers as you pull your space together? it seems to me it would fit right in with their ethos. if they don't, perhaps you should suggest it.

my experience in pulling together my home is that it takes time. sure, when i moved into this apartment, there were pieces i bought specifically to make this space work, but all the significant pieces, i've collected over time. i kind of have a "if i love it, i'll make it work" motto. but my style does have that eclectic element, so perhaps that wouldn't work for everyone.

i don't know how much help i'd be but i don't mind passing on my email if you do want to throw ideas past me. i do it with pals all the time. with my friends, i find that they usually have a really good idea of what they want, it just helps having that other opinion.

ok folks...BRING IN THE VOTES. i'm falling behind again. :)

xo
j.

posted by 3floorsup on April 18, 2011 at 8:56pm
view 3floorsup's profile

I just can't get over the scaling, even though I really want to like it. Everything is subtly too crowded or too tall or too big for the space.

posted by Yvette on April 18, 2011 at 9:00pm
view Yvette's profile

Sigh...I want to be in your book club... I also have a eerily similar picture of my grandparents. You've given me an idea on what to do with it!

posted by cbeatty23 on April 19, 2011 at 4:42pm
view cbeatty23's profile

I love the way you use the limited space you have and the way you've arranged the furniture. Nice artwork and furniture choices as well! Excellent job!

posted by Lindsey535 on April 20, 2011 at 9:27am
view Lindsey535's profile

Congrats Jordan!

Julia

posted by brabecova on May 11, 2011 at 4:28pm
view brabecova's profile

This entry makes me wish we could vote favorites more than once. You know, like in American Idol. :(

posted by cvgmiami on April 21, 2011 at 3:18pm
view cvgmiami's profile

lovely, just lovely.

posted by brabecova on April 21, 2011 at 8:16pm
view brabecova's profile

you're apt is amazing! congrats on creating such a beautful home.

may i ask where your kitchen table/cart is from? i'm on the hunt for something similar and would LOVE some sort of lead.

thanks!

posted by suzi517 on April 22, 2011 at 5:19pm
view suzi517's profile

What a lovely home. I love the all the details!

posted by lareve on April 22, 2011 at 5:50pm
view lareve's profile

Love all that great art and your floors have such a nice patina!

posted by analogdialog on April 22, 2011 at 7:01pm
view analogdialog's profile

Oh my, I'm glad I stopped by AT today! You've done a really wonderful job with your space Jordan, I love it!

posted by The Happy Heathen on April 22, 2011 at 8:31pm
view The Happy Heathen's profile

i just LOVE reading your comments. keep 'em coming folks. :)

cbeatty23 :: i love that thor + eleanor inspired what to do with your grandparents' pic!!

cvgmiami :: *perma-grin!!* i'll tell ya, with how neck and neck my division is, i wouldn't mind those extra votes either. :)

suzi517 :: i wish i had a place to send you, but that piece is something that was left in the backyard of my parents' tenants. it was rusted out and gross, but i requested it since it was left behind. with some patience, lots of steel wool, and major elbow grease, it came out pretty amazingly, eh?! it's been a life saver in a couple homes. i'd keep an eye out on craigslist, salvage shops (for example, second use in seattle), and restaurants going out of business. sorry that i don't have the perfect lead for you. best of luck!!

so glad you all stopped by!! thanks for the comments and the votes! if you feel so inclined, please pass on word to your pals to vote. this is a tight one!

have a great weekend.
j.

posted by 3floorsup on April 22, 2011 at 10:57pm
view 3floorsup's profile

Not trying to be mean or anything here - I think this is a perfectly nice apartment and a decent use of space, but I'm looking at your pics trying to figure out what's so exceptional about this place to make it lead this division, and I just don't see it.

posted by ecorabbit on April 23, 2011 at 8:20pm
view ecorabbit's profile

Still my favourite in this category!

posted by Wildsong on April 24, 2011 at 11:58pm
view Wildsong's profile

I absolutely love this apartment!

posted by susanb. on April 25, 2011 at 5:56pm
view susanb.'s profile

Great collection of stuff! I think the living room is too cluttered. Take out a few things, and it will give it a much more open and breathable space. Otherwise you got my vote!

posted by iheartfurniture on April 25, 2011 at 10:15pm
view iheartfurniture's profile

Where did you get that painting in your living room? it look's familiar...

posted by iheartfurniture on April 25, 2011 at 10:21pm
view iheartfurniture's profile

good job keeping the dialogue going! indeed your division has some steep competition. too bad there can't be prizes for the most votes in general. yeah, i'm one of those "can't everybody win?". i guess the prize is everyone gets to come home to some dope spaces. good luck!

posted by solarsister310 on April 26, 2011 at 9:35am
view solarsister310's profile

@iheartfurniture, while I know it is the photo that matters in this competition, I can tell you that when in the living room, nothing could be further from the truth. It exudes an open, airy feel. I think this apartment is exceptional because it is only 460 square feet -- which shocked me-- because it feels like at least 650 when inside.

posted by Kim Smolik on April 26, 2011 at 4:03pm
view Kim Smolik's profile

I wouldn't take out one thing! This house is a home. I love that about it. Everytime I see it I like it more. I want to curl up in here and read a book. So livable, but still so chic. A tight rope of a walk in a tiny space, but this is absolutely fabulous! It was the storage that I kept noticing when I kept going back to your apartment, Jordan. You have so many smart solutions and can still keep some things you love without them ruling the space. So happy you're risen to the top in this division. I do agree that there are many great spaces and use of them, and am so happy that so many people are willing to share their homes with all of us! Merci!

posted by Wildsong on April 27, 2011 at 6:34am
view Wildsong's profile

You could easily get a lot of people in this living room with all the seating. Very good planning.

posted by Wildsong on April 27, 2011 at 6:36am
view Wildsong's profile

And there are enough seats elsewhere in the space to move in more chairs, at the open end, still without crowding. Amazing, really.

posted by Wildsong on April 27, 2011 at 6:37am
view Wildsong's profile

1005! Congrats!

posted by michaelmohrphoto on April 27, 2011 at 10:37am

Cracked 1000!!

posted by azaleasmoke on April 27, 2011 at 11:24am

really nice (as though this hasn't been said..)! spaces with this much white usually make me uneasy (the color mash-up in my entry is proof!), but you pull it off well...and i am soooo loving that couch!! (and the cute little green wire stand on your island! where'd you find it?)

posted by HappyGoVintage on April 27, 2011 at 5:23pm
view HappyGoVintage's profile

iheartfurniture :: the painting is by seattle artist christen mattix [christenmattix.com]; i know she sells smaller prints of it on etsy.

kim :: smooch.

wildsong :: i just love your comments + appreciate your thoughtful observations. :) it is true...in that relatively small living room, i've had 12 adults gathered + sure it was cozy but COMPLETELY worked (what you can't see from the pictures is that there's a couple feet of space between the back of the chairs and the wall leading to the bedroom. my hope was to create a space that was comfortable in both intimate and larger gatherings. it has proven to be, which i'm thankful for.

michaelmohorphoto + azaleasmoke :: thanks for celebrating the marker! :) WOO HOO!

only a couple more days folks....thanks for your help getting the word out; i appreciate anything you do to help bring in the votes.

xo
j.

posted by 3floorsup on April 27, 2011 at 5:24pm
view 3floorsup's profile

azaleasmoke :: i don't know if you'll see this comment BUT it's worth a try. i just saw what you wrote on on the stockholm studio, about marrying a swede and seeing if your babies rearrange their cribs....

i. laughed. out. loud.

posted by 3floorsup on April 27, 2011 at 6:04pm
view 3floorsup's profile

funny, I added your apartment to my favs the day it was posted - I love it, and especially love the drawing file in your living room which I guess is a similar item to my dining table. We also live in the same neighborhood :)
I hope you stay on top - claudia

posted by cj204 on April 27, 2011 at 6:31pm
view cj204's profile

jordan, that's hilarious. i guess it means we both have good taste! ;)

best of luck to you! (i'm posting you as my "pick to win it" on my blog!

posted by HappyGoVintage on April 27, 2011 at 7:32pm
view HappyGoVintage's profile

this apartment rocks! brilliant use of small space, plus its cool, too! my fave!

posted by Beth from Atlanta on April 28, 2011 at 4:24pm
view Beth from Atlanta's profile

Hey Jordan, saw it!

Seriously though, you gotta keep these things in mind when choosing a life partner ... essential, no?

Considering posting your place to my facebook to bring in those extra votes, but know I don't have interiors-minded friends. Sigh. Looks like Ariel's made a push and I hope it gets matched!

posted by azaleasmoke on April 28, 2011 at 7:08pm

azalesmoke :: I KNOW! i was ahead earlier this morning, then got a bunch of votes in from bugging fb folks and yet he STILL came up from behind and....WHAM! some good competition, i say. i'm not yet saying uncle. :)

no pressure, but.....
YES! PLEASE POST TO FACEBOOK. :) i've found bribery works well.

(just kidding AT)

it's not done til it's done! :)
xo
j.

posted by 3floorsup on April 28, 2011 at 7:36pm
view 3floorsup's profile

I want to go to there.

posted by zimmerwoman on April 29, 2011 at 12:34am
view zimmerwoman's profile

If you can make it in NYC with that little space, you can definitely make it in Europe.
:-)

posted by Sabina from Berlin on April 29, 2011 at 1:00pm
view Sabina from Berlin's profile

Jordan! You are so talented! Love it!

posted by jatlnc on April 29, 2011 at 1:23pm
view jatlnc's profile

We voted for you J - alex and nicole! good luck! hope you keep the lead( williburg all the way!), and it's never to late to make up an e mail addy for mom!! lol

posted by Johnnydangerously on April 29, 2011 at 1:34pm
view Johnnydangerously's profile

the light is beautiful, but i'm more impressed by your use of space -- just incredible, and your taste is perfectly balanced! me, 1200 sf house + too much stuff = my favorite pieces are lost in the chaos. gotta have discipline... (proud to see you're a former seattleite, from a current one...)

posted by ravengirl on April 29, 2011 at 5:02pm
view ravengirl's profile

OMG, it *just* occurred to me that the kitchen table is the one you had in your last house that stored the kitchen aid under it.

And that's what I love about your pieces; they are so versatile and can be used in completely reinvented ways.

Brilliance!

posted by limes on April 29, 2011 at 8:42pm
view limes's profile

It seems like you and Nicole are buddies. Not surprising, considering you share the same amazing ability to generate votes as needed.

posted by gingerz on April 29, 2011 at 9:05pm
view gingerz's profile

@gingerz - I don't know who Nicole is, but I can say as a friend of Jordan that we (her community) love her and are working as hard as we can to get the word out!

posted by limes on April 29, 2011 at 10:16pm
view limes's profile

KEEP THE VOTES COMING fantastic AT community!!!

to all of you voters, thank you. regardless if i win, i'm amazed + encouraged by you.

gingerz :: i've actually never met alex + nicole but that's been an added plus to this experience: through the commenting, there are a handful of folks that i've ended up having a great rapport with. gotta love it. i've got cheerleaders in folks i've never even met (and vice versa).

i may be behind, but I'M NOT YET SAYING UNCLE. :) bring on the votes folks!!

xo
j.

posted by 3floorsup on April 30, 2011 at 10:32am
view 3floorsup's profile

Jordan good luck!

posted by javajunkie on April 30, 2011 at 11:36am
view javajunkie's profile

Hang in---yours is the MOST BEAUTIFUL----such wonderful use of your space-----come to my house and do a "make over"--------------Big Momma

posted by Big Momma on April 30, 2011 at 3:07pm
view Big Momma's profile

Small but well presented. Good luck!

posted by Orionqp on April 30, 2011 at 5:03pm
view Orionqp's profile

Thanks Jordan...
This is nuts!! But it's been an amazing experience regardless of the outcome. Ah, the power of positive reinforcement!
Ariel

posted by voiture12 on April 30, 2011 at 6:53pm
view voiture12's profile

Hey Jordan,

I am not Gingerz. And Ginger Laluxe is the only name I have ever posted under on AT. I don't think my comments have been personal in nature, at all. And I've been quite deliberate in my compliments, especially with Alex and Nicole. Their style is incredibly close to my own.

This is the only name I have ever used to comment on AT. These are the first comments I've made.

posted by Ginger LaLuxe on April 30, 2011 at 10:10pm
view Ginger LaLuxe's profile

I love it!

posted by KatherineAW on April 30, 2011 at 10:51pm
view KatherineAW's profile

Hi Jordan, I love your apartment. Where did you find your desk lamp?

posted by FresiaB on April 30, 2011 at 11:40pm
view FresiaB's profile

ginger laluxe :: fair enough! i was curious as "the gingers" popped up near the same time. i do believe you posed some valid questions, so thanks for that. i've actually been very thankful that it's stayed civil here in the tiny category, even with the crazy neck and neck action that ariel and i have had.

fresiab :: it's old an iron lamp that i bought a new shade for. i got it second hand at ugly luggage, a store on bedford avenue here in brooklyn. who knows if that was the original color, but it's something to keep in mind: a coat of paint is a great way to change the look of older lamps. best of luck finding something you love.

thanks again for everyone who has voted today. can't believe how the votes have continued to come in. totally appreciate it.

xo
j.

posted by 3floorsup on May 1, 2011 at 12:36am
view 3floorsup's profile

i hope you win!! fingers crossed!!

posted by queenyellowsun on May 1, 2011 at 1:59am
view queenyellowsun's profile

Super excited for this apartment, hope you win! it's gorgeous

posted by novastyle on May 1, 2011 at 10:30am
view novastyle's profile

Nice

posted by JensenDK on May 1, 2011 at 11:00am
view JensenDK's profile

Fab apt Jordan. Best one on here, hands down!!!! Love the moop bag too ;-)

posted by Nycgirl123 on May 1, 2011 at 11:19am
view Nycgirl123's profile

Love the place jordan. When can my wife & i move in?

posted by matsta_3 on May 1, 2011 at 6:49pm
view matsta_3's profile

Hey Jordan, I'm sorry you didn't win :( But the fact that people you wouldn't even recognize on the street really, genuinely wanted you to has got to mean something :)

posted by azaleasmoke on May 1, 2011 at 9:06pm

nothing like finishing off the contest with a handful more great comments! thanks folks!

and azaleasmoke, you hit the nail on the head. that counts for a ton. bottom line, i had fun! thanks again for the back + forth. loved it.

thanks all!
xo
j.

posted by 3floorsup on May 1, 2011 at 10:35pm
view 3floorsup's profile

J-I'm so happy you made it to the finals! Congrats! you have a beautiful place! Good luck in the final rounds of voting!

-Alex

posted by Johnnydangerously on May 2, 2011 at 12:49pm
view Johnnydangerously's profile

Love the place. Where did you get your coffee table? We've been in search of something unique and functional for a while and nothing's struck our fancy. But, I really love this one!

posted by Z Brownie on May 2, 2011 at 2:54pm
view Z Brownie's profile

final voting time!!!

after looking carefully through all the entries, you know what i noticed? this is an:
a) apartment that's
b) therapeutic, though
c) small, it's definitely
d) cool.
okay, yes, i'm cheesy, but it's true.

and... it shows off ALL of its fabulously assembled rooms, without relying too much on the bones on the structure. sure, we choose the bones when we rent or buy... but the true art of it is in the assemblage of our possessions within said bones.

way to go, lady. here's hoping you win!

posted by lizkid on May 2, 2011 at 3:29pm
view lizkid's profile

You made it after all! I spoke too soon!

posted by azaleasmoke on May 2, 2011 at 5:14pm

Congrats jordan!!!! your apartment looks very comfortable and inviting. Beautiful place. I was amazed by the warm , functional and nice bedroon you creadted out of a long hallway!! Nice handling and mixing of texture, colors and forms.
Best of lucks on the final strech!! sonia

posted by Sonia G on May 2, 2011 at 8:32pm
view Sonia G's profile

Still love this place, still love the totally innovative bed placement. Voting as my favorite in this category.

posted by cvgmiami on May 2, 2011 at 9:14pm
view cvgmiami's profile

After just seeing your feature on design sponge I HAD to vote for you! Good luck!

posted by jennamariee on May 2, 2011 at 10:12pm
view jennamariee's profile

azaleasmoke :: you and me both! i had already said my goodbyes. ;) fantastic surprise!!

z brownie :: after years of coveting flat files, i finally bought a used one at TWO JAKES here in williamsburg. i then stripped the paint, put a protective coating on it, and had a pal help me put wheels on it. viola! i know there are places that do things like this but i saved hundreds of $$ doing it myself AND it's super satisfying knowing i did it! :) actually TWO JAKES sells some stripped; no wheels though.

and thanks alex, lizkid, sonia g + cvgmiami!!
totally encouraging.

thanks folks!
j.

posted by 3floorsup on May 2, 2011 at 9:27pm
view 3floorsup's profile

Like, OMG, you're like totally in the finals.

posted by limes on May 3, 2011 at 1:17am
view limes's profile

whether this place wins or not, I wanna see a full HT!

posted by pier723 on May 3, 2011 at 1:18pm
view pier723's profile

GO JORDAN! GO JORDAN! GO JORDAN!

posted by cvgmiami on May 4, 2011 at 8:22am
view cvgmiami's profile

I couldn't agree more a previous comment. This is exactly why I love Apartment Therapy and especially look forward to Small Cool.
Amazing place, brilliantly decorated with gorgeous choices in furniture.

posted by LDNtown on May 4, 2011 at 4:13pm
view LDNtown's profile

I want to be your roommate. I have no belongings aside from clothes and a camera. We would be the perfect fit!

posted by erica Pelaccia on May 4, 2011 at 9:05pm
view erica Pelaccia's profile

This cool apartment, AND her grandparents' names are Thor and Eleanor? ::jealous::

posted by ItsJustStuff on May 9, 2011 at 8:53pm
view ItsJustStuff's profile

Out of the four finalists I like place the most. The only thing that bothers me is the use of so many MCM (replica?) chairs - seems too much of a cliche. Your kitchen got me over the line.

posted by A Labour of Love on May 6, 2011 at 6:21am
view A Labour of Love's profile

I swear I love how you used that folding Norden table as a side table. So clever!

posted by rajaune on May 6, 2011 at 9:13am
view rajaune's profile

This place is absolute perfection in my book. Amazing. I need all that white in my place!

posted by RiseUpSinging on May 7, 2011 at 11:45am
view RiseUpSinging's profile

:D thanks azaleasmoke! i've loved "meeting" folks within the AT community and your support has been totally encouraging. all the best!

posted by 3floorsup on May 9, 2011 at 7:28pm
view 3floorsup's profile

Every time I come back here, I notice some small detail that is perfect. Tonight's find was the set of nested bowls on the filing cabinet. You said that storage is an issue, so the nested bowls are not only pretty, but functional as a storage technique. I'm sure everyone else figured that out right away. I take forever.

posted by limes on May 9, 2011 at 2:39am
view limes's profile

Thanks for representing my old hometown brooklyn, ny. They still make the best pizza in the world. Good luck.

posted by Sam59 on May 9, 2011 at 2:44pm
view Sam59's profile

sam59....my pleasure! :) any particular pizza spots you'd recommend?

ALMOST done folks!! YOU'VE BEEN AMAZING. so, so much fun. thank you, thank you!!

posted by 3floorsup on May 9, 2011 at 2:51pm
view 3floorsup's profile

i'm blown away. thank you! thank you! thank you! and for my fellow finalists, i consider it an honor to be put in the same category as you all.

xo
jordan

posted by 3floorsup on May 9, 2011 at 6:45pm
view 3floorsup's profile

well lookie who won :)

posted by azaleasmoke on May 9, 2011 at 7:13pm

well, my least favorite, but well done you!

posted by msmezzo on May 9, 2011 at 8:42pm
view msmezzo's profile

Jordan, you rock! This entry was by far the best. Keep on allowing "the Light" within you shine on everything in your midst. What a wonder you are!

posted by shiskeybryan on May 9, 2011 at 8:45pm
view shiskeybryan's profile

congrats. i knew you were gonna win:-)))))

posted by Rosi1 on May 9, 2011 at 11:09pm
view Rosi1's profile

Congrats!

posted by ohkatie on May 10, 2011 at 1:31am
view ohkatie's profile

Yes, so glad you won!

posted by DCGabri on May 10, 2011 at 9:19am
view DCGabri's profile

congrats!!!

posted by pier723 on May 10, 2011 at 12:05pm
view pier723's profile

Congrats Jordan, love your apartment and so glad you won.

posted by mg0224 on May 10, 2011 at 1:17pm
view mg0224's profile

Congratulations! One of my favorite Small Cools ever.

posted by Vacationland on May 10, 2011 at 2:03pm
view Vacationland's profile

Love the color scheme Jordan! Reminds me of my style. Where did you find that cute book shelf where you have your printer and scanner, I have the same set-up and need an awesome low shelf like that!

posted by Pamelaaa on May 10, 2011 at 2:16pm
view Pamelaaa's profile

CONGRATULATIONS JORDAN!!!! I'm so happy for you! I had a great time at your place. :)

posted by cvgmiami on May 10, 2011 at 6:51pm
view cvgmiami's profile

Congrats Jordan! Can I get your landlord's info? ;)

posted by Helvetiver on May 10, 2011 at 5:30pm
view Helvetiver's profile

Wonderfully decorated space.

I have a long skinny apartment in the Hollywood Hills with lots of light, lots of storage space, a huge balcony but, I am struggling to run my business from the living room with limited square footage.

Its great to see other small spaces similar to mine but I always note from the photos that very few people work from home and no-one seems to make the mess I have around me.

How is everyone so neat when they do business from home?

posted by PhotobugLA on May 10, 2011 at 7:13pm
view PhotobugLA's profile

The" Floors" are to die for, just beautiful, cute apartment, love it !!!!

posted by BETTE BAKER on May 11, 2011 at 5:55pm
view BETTE BAKER's profile

I'm so happy you won, you are an inspiration!
And keep that book club going :)

posted by Éva Torgyik on May 11, 2011 at 3:14am
view Éva Torgyik's profile

Yay, Jordan! I don't know you, but feel so inspired by your apartment. Am now thinking about what I could do to make my home more elegantly usable, with smarter, sleeker storage. Many thanks for sharing your home with us!

posted by Wildsong on May 11, 2011 at 8:08am
view Wildsong's profile

Congratulations Jordan! I love your place, it has such a great feeling. I was rooting for you!

posted by GreenKey on May 11, 2011 at 9:57pm
view GreenKey's profile

WOW!!! i wasn't expecting to find new comments here. THANKS FOLKS!! you've made my day, what can i say?!

pamelaaa :: the bookcase is a knock off of one you can find at Design Within Reach, but i got mine at the container store. what's great is the way you can reconfigure and add to it. that is actually a 2x2 cube shelf, but i changed it to 1x3 cube to meet my needs. very versatile. i've loved it!

helvetiver :: kinda thinking your joking, but in case not, metropolitian associates. :)

cvgmiami :: LOVE it!! you and azaleasmoke, in particular, have been so fantastic through this! it was particularly amazing to have folks that i've never met be so enthusiastic and encouraging. thanks a million! :)

oh photobugLA :: i hate to admit it, but if you'd seen my apartment last night, you wouldn't have voted for me. :| i'm in the midst of finals (finishing up a graphic design degree at parsons) and have papers + projects everywhere. :) i grew up with my mom saying "clean as you go." i often fail miserably at that but i've found it to be essential in a space like mine. no doors to close and hide the mess.

julia:: thank you! your place is amazing; i'm honored by the beauty of my competitor's spaces.

folks, i know i've said it many times, but really, thanks for your votes and your kind words. totally humbled.

xo
j.

posted by 3floorsup on May 12, 2011 at 11:31am
view 3floorsup's profile

Very well deserved! All of the finalists were wonderful, so this is quite an achievement!

Kudos,
Darren

posted by D2 pad on May 12, 2011 at 12:58pm
view D2 pad's profile

Jordan, great job on the space. Congratulations from last year's winner!

-Chris

posted by analogdialog on May 12, 2011 at 7:30pm
view analogdialog's profile

Hey Jordan, email address is elyse (dot) cragg (at) gmail (dot) com. (Sorry for all that but I work in web and know how easily putting your email up in these places can turn into spam).

Would love to keep in touch :) Especially when I need second opinion!

posted by azaleasmoke on May 13, 2011 at 2:42pm

*a* second opinion

posted by azaleasmoke on May 13, 2011 at 2:42pm

This is amazing! Wish I had considered living one stop into Brooklyn, but instead just signed a lease on a condo unit for rent by owner.

I'd love if anyone on this message board can help this downsizing west coaster figure out how to set things up.

Here's my floorplan:
http://www.blockhall.com/pdf/BHPlans6A.pdf

And some photos of the unit as previously furnished (awful!) from the sales listing (for investors--I'll occupy regardless if sold).

http://streeteasy.com/nyc/sale/595805-condo-21-23-south-william-street-financial-district-new-york

Hit me here on jasondc4@gmail.com with ideas, affordable solutions, etc. Thanks!

posted by jzaler on May 15, 2011 at 11:52am
view jzaler's profile

For spaciousness:

Replace books, pictures, tv, stereo and alarm clock with a handheld computer.

Rather than a desk, try a clipboard.
Rather than an end table, try a floor lamp and tote bag of handy items.

Try pull-out storage baskets under a bed, couch or chair.
Baskets are easy to transport.
Try coat hooks near the entry door.

Rather than a dining room set, eat/entertain with your plate in your lap.
For counter space, try a large cutting board over a sink, stove or under-counter appliance.

To beautify, stand plates and glasses vertically on shelving.
Cover a cluttered cupboard with a set of small curtains.
Store stackable pans in an oven.

Store towels and a cosmetic basket on open narrow shelving over a toilet or bathroom sink.
Try a clothing hook and full-length mirror on the back of a bathroom door.

posted by lil on May 17, 2011 at 6:50am
view lil's profile

Cool site. I would like to show you next week my living room. Most of my stuff i bought it at: http://www.urbanara.de
Cushions and stuff, for my sofa.

posted by Ottotto on May 17, 2011 at 8:23am
view Ottotto's profile

Hi Jordan,
I don't know if you're still checking here for comments, etc., but was wondering if you can tell me details about the lamp to the left of your blue sofa on the small bookcase like the name, what material the base is, and where you bought it.. I've been looking for a lamp and love that particular shape and dark colored base.
Also congrats on your winning entry.. your place looks fab!

posted by junjun on May 21, 2011 at 4:26am
view junjun's profile

I’m still waiting for some interesting thoughts from your side in your next post thanks

posted by xiaohu on June 3, 2011 at 9:57pm
view xiaohu's profile

if you had this space raw...no bathroom placement or kitchen what would you do....
i do and dont know what to do

posted by jimmythekid on November 3, 2011 at 9:47pm
view jimmythekid's profile

ur place is d'winner !

posted by myheppy on November 29, 2011 at 2:09am
view myheppy's profile

Hi Jordan: Congratulations your apartment design is very creative, keep up the good work, you have the knack.

posted by Saltspring Grandma on December 17, 2011 at 5:24pm
view Saltspring Grandma's profile

Jordan I love what you have done with your apartment. Where did you get the coffee table - I love it.

posted by Loretta M on January 5, 2012 at 11:34am
view Loretta M's profile

This is fortuitous! I JUST signed a lease for a great (albeit smaaaaall) space with a galley bedroom just like yours, and have been killing myself trying to figure out how to arrange it. LOVE your idea for the bed long-ways and the small, tidy desk behind. Nice work! Thanks! :)

posted by katherineisabelle on April 10, 2012 at 3:47pm
view katherineisabelle's profile