Christopher's Mid Century Condo

Name:

Christopher

Seattle, Washington

Division:

Tiny

Square Feet:

What I Love About My Home

By playing swatches of color against the original wood flooring of our 1949 condo, we've been able to bring in fun patterned items. Getting ready for bed with a lamp that throws floral shadows, and cooking with a row of spice jars within reach just makes life fun. I knocked out a wall to open the kitchen to the living area, then divided it with a length of glu-lam that functions as work table, dining area, and additional counter space. This created a cube pantry, which I happily colored green.

Biggest Challenge in Furnishing My Home

Finding space for books. When my wife moved in, she brought her family's Norwegian trunk, and piles of books. The trunk's traditional pattern softened some of the hard lines of wood and metal, and is home to games and craft supplies. The books have simply become their own aesthetic, nearly covering an entire wall. The next challenge will be remodeling the bath.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (24)

The ceiling lantern in the bedroom is gorgeous

posted by LauraInCancun on April 13, 2011 at 11:19am
view LauraInCancun's profile

Love the kitchen!

posted by Victoria Ulanova on April 12, 2011 at 8:32am
view Victoria Ulanova's profile

I completely adore your book and CD shelves, and the colorful Jesus statues. Are they glow-in-the-dark?

posted by edmarch on April 12, 2011 at 11:13am
view edmarch's profile

The accent color in your bedroom is the exact color of the accent wall in my bedroom. Gorgeous.

posted by marabou on April 12, 2011 at 11:21am
view marabou's profile

So much to love! Love the kitchen, good idea knocking down the wall, opens up the space and makes it look larger than your 580 sq ft! The closet doors...awesome...totally going to steal your idea! Thanks for sharing your lovely home!

posted by teresadelizo on April 12, 2011 at 11:40am
view teresadelizo's profile

Are those Strawberry Shortcake toys? I used to have some like those when I was a kid. :)

posted by Tracy333 on April 12, 2011 at 11:42am
view Tracy333's profile

I like it a lot! The fixture in your bedroom is gorgeous. Where did you find it?

posted by rjshops on April 12, 2011 at 4:26pm
view rjshops's profile

Kitchen looks great with the green wall!

posted by Patyy on April 12, 2011 at 8:46pm
view Patyy's profile

Lots of great elements here - the closet chalkboard drawers, the open kitchen, the hard wood floors, etc.

posted by RocketScientist on April 12, 2011 at 9:09pm
view RocketScientist's profile

Obsessed with your paint colors. May I ask, what are they? Beautiful! Good luck. :)

posted by JoJoBeans on April 12, 2011 at 10:02pm
view JoJoBeans's profile

Hey where is your kitchen table from??

posted by Goodfella on April 12, 2011 at 10:07pm
view Goodfella's profile

Thanks for taking the time to look at our home.

The Jesus statues are a magic 8 ball, color changing and a piggy bank.

Our light is made by Landmark Lighting and we got it from lumens.com.

The paint colors are Benjamin Moore, Aegean Teal (blue) and Split Pea (green).

The table is made from glu-lam beams I got at the local lumber yard and a steel leg and channel I had fabricated by a local metal worker.

posted by mosierarch on April 12, 2011 at 10:51pm
view mosierarch's profile

This is totally my style. Love it. I could live here thats for sure. Lovelly.

posted by Ofelia on April 13, 2011 at 12:09am
view Ofelia's profile

Love the kitchen table!

posted by doony on April 13, 2011 at 12:31am
view doony's profile

Nice closet door. Where did you get the hardware from?

posted by Xren17 on April 13, 2011 at 1:51am
view Xren17's profile

I agree with Xren, the closet door is amazing!
I like all the clean lines and how organized everything in your apartment is, very inspiring!

posted by Raaina on April 13, 2011 at 10:28am
view Raaina's profile

I want to add this as a favorite favorite favorite!

posted by lal on April 13, 2011 at 10:32am
view lal's profile

Love the kitchen and table and the closet doors!

posted by ModHomekeeper on April 14, 2011 at 2:35pm
view ModHomekeeper's profile

Christopher, my good neighbor, this is lovely! Good luck!! Lee and Joe

posted by leelupiku on April 14, 2011 at 8:50pm
view leelupiku's profile

I've died and gone to heaven's kitchen :-) I love it! The mixture of varying types cabinets makes this stand out as its something different than what you usually see. I also love the long shelf with all the spices (I may steal that idea :-) ). And your dining table, sigh...

Love the bedroom too, the duvet, light fixture and accent wall. The closet door is to die for.

What I like the most about your space is you have done some unexpected things.

posted by mauishopgirl on April 14, 2011 at 11:21pm
view mauishopgirl's profile

I'm another one curious about the closet door mounting system. The slide track looks like IKEA mounting for curtain panels, but the mounting hardware on the top of the door is throwing me off. It looks awesome and I love the functionality of sliding doors. Being from SF they always feel like a modern twist on the pocket doors I grew up with(who's space saving usefulness I now miss desperately). If that is light weight track is the door itself Ultra Light MDF so it doesn't overburden the track? I would KILL to do this in my place. Mirrored 80's closet doors, I hatechu! *shakes fist*

posted by everygirlever on April 16, 2011 at 11:28am
view everygirlever's profile

The door track and hardware are from McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com) and are a pretty heavy duty galvanized metal. The door is (2) layers of birch plywood that I screwed and glued together before painting with chalkboard paint.

posted by mosierarch on April 16, 2011 at 8:03pm
view mosierarch's profile

GREAT DOOR! great idea!

posted by DB Modern on April 17, 2011 at 1:15pm
view DB Modern's profile

Love the Jesus statues and the closet doors.

posted by House Voyeur on April 18, 2011 at 12:36am
view House Voyeur's profile