James' Ultra Compact Abode

Name:

James

Nanaimo, Canada

Division:

International

Square Feet:

What I Love About My Home

A uniquely designed comfortable tiny home. With our patented moving floor system we manage to fit two stories into an approximately 12 foot high structure.

Biggest Challenge in Furnishing My Home

Finding appliances, and furnishings that were small enough!

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (70)

This place is absolutely amazing! Congratulations on creating such a homey 180 sq. ft. Well done!

posted by Laurie Jacobsen on April 20, 2011 at 11:19am
view Laurie Jacobsen's profile

I'd have loved to see a floorplan on this!

posted by Bianca-Jade on April 11, 2011 at 8:21am
view Bianca-Jade's profile

Your kitchen is amazing considering the limited space you have!

posted by hotpaprika on April 11, 2011 at 8:32am
view hotpaprika's profile

this is great! I think I would need more color, but I just love this.

posted by tricksy on April 11, 2011 at 8:54am
view tricksy's profile

It's amazing that such a small space could look spacious, especially in the kitchen area.

Paul

posted by THE BASICS Magazine on April 11, 2011 at 9:00am
view THE BASICS Magazine's profile

Dude! Now this is a small cool home!!!

posted by dvilim on April 11, 2011 at 9:08am
view dvilim's profile

Crazy good design I think. Japanese architecture inspired! I would also be interested to find out what the moving floor system is..

posted by nutmeg21 on April 11, 2011 at 9:42am
view nutmeg21's profile

I love it. The only thing i wonder about, is there enough light? I live in a tiny stone house and it's pretty dark. Your house, though, is a perfect jewel.

posted by Leslie77 on April 11, 2011 at 9:49am
view Leslie77's profile

That is really cool!! Do you actually live in it?...I often wonder if people have bigger homes somewhere else where they really live:)

posted by lee66 on April 11, 2011 at 9:51am
view lee66's profile

definitely need more info. this looks more like a professional submission (i.e., With our patented moving floor system we manage ...) than someone's residence.

ok. after quite a bit of googling, i found this: http://tinyhouseblog.com/yourstory/james-twelve-cubed-tiny-house/. apparently james is starting his own business?

posted by loislane on April 11, 2011 at 10:00am
view loislane's profile

and here's the official site (i think): http://www.twelve3.ca/

posted by loislane on April 11, 2011 at 10:02am
view loislane's profile

LOVE IT!!! I'd need a bit more room (six cats and two litter boxes). But this gives me good ideas.

posted by williamsweyr on April 11, 2011 at 10:29am
view williamsweyr's profile

It's incredible and likely the wave of the future but for me personally, it's lacking personal soul which is what moves me. The house is slick and professional and you should do very well with this business. It could be a brilliant solution for large (progresive) corporations wanting to provide workforce housing without retiing a huge footprint. Good luck!

@williamsweyr This could be the perfect house for your cats! Mine would love it.

posted by cvgmiami on April 20, 2011 at 9:21am
view cvgmiami's profile

I should not type before coffee, that word *retting* does not exist and I have no idea where it came from. :/

posted by cvgmiami on April 20, 2011 at 9:22am
view cvgmiami's profile

Fascinating. I'm not really able to picture the whole thing. I wish I could see lots of photos or a video of the moving parts.

posted by lcat on April 20, 2011 at 9:24am
view lcat's profile

AWESOME!! Really cool and I am sure that the outdoor space is spectacular. I agree with a bit more colour in the space , but just a throw or pillow. I too would like to see more!;) Good luck!

posted by her_royal_gr8ness on April 20, 2011 at 10:26am
view her_royal_gr8ness's profile

This is nuts!
I don't know if I could live here, but it's definitely cool. I do want to have a nap in that bed beside the laundry machines.

posted by pheebs79 on April 20, 2011 at 10:19am
view pheebs79's profile

Definitely small and cool! Especially love the kitchen and the bedding. Where did you find the duvets? Love how they balance each other.

posted by Tracy333 on April 20, 2011 at 10:40am
view Tracy333's profile

Awesome, I want to have one.

posted by Jon Te' on April 20, 2011 at 10:57am
view Jon Te''s profile

yes, this does seem like a professional submission. That's amazing what's been done with 180 sqt. That's the size of my office.

posted by Pamela L on April 20, 2011 at 12:08pm
view Pamela L's profile

I think this is a great idea, but it would be really difficult to live in for a longer period of time. Marketed as a guest house maybe, especially since it needs to get its plumbing and electricity from a 'main house on the lot' according to the website. Just not enough light and storage, etc, to make it an actual home.

posted by azaleasmoke on April 20, 2011 at 12:05pm
view azaleasmoke's profile

I am lucky enough to live in the same city as James and I have actually been inside this tiny house. The photos really don't do it justice because it's hard to visualize the floorplan as several people have commented. The house is incredibly well designed, feels so bright and spacious when you are inside. There are two levels, four distinct living areas, and lots of storage. I wish you all could see it in person because it's so amazing! And smells wonderful too, because it's built from real wood, not particle board.

posted by laury66 on April 20, 2011 at 12:23pm
view laury66's profile

is this an advertisement from the manufacturer? or is it really somebody's home?

posted by sousa609 on April 20, 2011 at 2:37pm
view sousa609's profile

Looks great from the outside, but on the inside it's too much like an RV. Maybe if you just used it once in a while, and it were in Paris or someplace like that....but as a permanent space? Not for me!

posted by jennasophia on April 20, 2011 at 1:33pm
view jennasophia's profile

this is a fabulous use of space and so eco friendly. excellent for use as a studio teen pad or for rental income. i love it

posted by bob tell on April 20, 2011 at 2:02pm
view bob tell's profile

what is the sitting area like? great ideas for small vacation home. I want one!

posted by sarawelder on April 20, 2011 at 2:49pm
view sarawelder's profile

180 sq ft.? Amazing!

posted by schwyzerin on April 20, 2011 at 3:21pm
view schwyzerin's profile

incredible use of space. i want that bathroom!

posted by elizabeth11 on April 20, 2011 at 3:37pm
view elizabeth11's profile

I agree... I want more info on this. Wouldn't it be cool if we could all live (comfortably) in small sheds?!

posted by Melissa the Canadian on April 20, 2011 at 3:44pm
view Melissa the Canadian's profile

an official house tour is in order!!

posted by katycometrue on April 20, 2011 at 3:47pm
view katycometrue's profile

Great design, can't believe the size of the kitchen and the office/bed area is brillant! But... it doesn't feel to me like you are submitting your home, but rather it feels like a submission of a staged model home. There are no toiletries in the bathroom for example. And the narrative sounds like an ad, not someone talking about their home. I still think its cool but, the thing I love about AT is how the personality of the people living in these spaces comes through and I love to see how much thought and pride they put into their home. If you actually live there, my sincere apologies.

posted by mauishopgirl on April 20, 2011 at 4:10pm
view mauishopgirl's profile

WOW!

posted by sweethomesweet on April 20, 2011 at 4:11pm
view sweethomesweet's profile

Totally amazing!

posted by ModHomekeeper on April 20, 2011 at 4:46pm
view ModHomekeeper's profile

Hello Vancouver Island!

posted by owlmug on April 20, 2011 at 4:50pm
view owlmug's profile

The kitchen is wonderfull.

posted by Ofelia on April 20, 2011 at 5:31pm
view Ofelia's profile

This is amazing! real cool space..

posted by mattNmags on April 20, 2011 at 7:06pm
view mattNmags's profile

More pictures please. I can't wrap my head around how the lift works.

posted by aynn on April 20, 2011 at 7:27pm
view aynn's profile

*faint* beautiful

posted by JulianneMay on April 20, 2011 at 7:37pm
view JulianneMay's profile

I could actually live here with a few more windows.

posted by CraigslistDecorator on April 20, 2011 at 8:05pm
view CraigslistDecorator's profile

How much would a house like this set me back for????

I agree with everyone else this looks like a marketing scheme for exposure.

posted by daylight on April 20, 2011 at 8:08pm
view daylight's profile

Ok, I did a little research and here's the skinny on this house. James is actually the designer of these homes. This is very interesting as an alternative for the homeless:
http://www.househunting.ca/eco/story.html?id=78f2bb1d-7231-4c10-9cf0-7f2369e83e17

posted by daylight on April 20, 2011 at 8:13pm
view daylight's profile

One more:

http://tinyhouseblog.com/announcement/james-twelve-cubed-tiny-house-for-rent/

posted by daylight on April 20, 2011 at 8:17pm
view daylight's profile

my first thought was "This looks like that place that I pass off Bowen on my way to the gym... wait.. it IS that place off Bowen I pass on the way to my gym!" So weird/nice to see something I see in real life almost everyday on AT, and I've always been curious as to who lived in this place!

posted by mcheerio on April 20, 2011 at 8:24pm
view mcheerio's profile

Thank you daylight! It was a pleasure to read. I love hearing about new prefab ventures. I think AT should do a post/article on you James, you seem to be the Canadian version tiny house guy but with a design that would appeal to those with a modern asthetic, tiny home is a bit more rustic in design :-) Of course, tiny house started because the designer first adopted that lifestyle for himself and then turned it into a business.

posted by mauishopgirl on April 20, 2011 at 8:28pm
view mauishopgirl's profile

I saw this on the Tiny House Blog (I think) last year. It's very familiar. IIRC it was a prototype and no one actually lived there. Caveat: I could be wrong about the prototype thing. But I KNOW I've seen this before.

posted by KayinKCMO on April 20, 2011 at 8:37pm
view KayinKCMO's profile

Fabulous use of space. Very drool worthy.

posted by RocketScientist on April 20, 2011 at 9:33pm
view RocketScientist's profile

INCREDIBLE almost edible, completely delicious! YUM! I'm so into tiny footprints! THIS is just a little larger than my smartcar, which is just a little bigger than the dog! LOL

BRAVO! :)

posted by arcaneincleveland on April 20, 2011 at 9:34pm
view arcaneincleveland's profile

I love these! I've taken the tour and would love to buy one.

As far as I understand it, James (the creator) lived in the first one for a year+, the show home (the one in the picture) is not being lived in.

posted by Xoiv on April 20, 2011 at 9:54pm
view Xoiv's profile

This is the entry from the Tiny House Blog (thanks to Kent Griswold for his timely reply): http://tinyhouseblog.com/yourstory/james-twelve-cubed-tiny-house/

posted by KayinKCMO on April 20, 2011 at 10:30pm
view KayinKCMO's profile

Just to add a comment - I lived in my Cube full time for a year. It was very comfortable, and don't forget that was through a Canadian winter. I'm building a new one with a new design.

posted by James from Twelve3 on April 21, 2011 at 12:00am
view James from Twelve3's profile

gotta have this tiny tiny international place!

posted by Nef4tt on April 21, 2011 at 12:01am
view Nef4tt's profile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1fFConfF-Q&feature=related

posted by lebyru on April 21, 2011 at 1:17am
view lebyru's profile

It's back! :D I love this concept and am only bummed that I'll never likely encounter such a beauty in real life.

My tiny efficiency rental has taught me that I can live very small and and I'll definitely be looking at 200-400sqft units when I seek a larger apt.

posted by Kinky Gazpacho on April 21, 2011 at 1:56am
view Kinky Gazpacho's profile

WINNER! You have made a miracle!

posted by Ana Carolina on April 21, 2011 at 9:08am
view Ana Carolina's profile

I, too, am confused about how this works. Does the middle panel lift up so that one can stand in the kitchen? All we see are kitchen, bed, & bath -- is there a sitting/eating area? I love the look and compactness, but it doesn't look like someone actually lives in it.

posted by Holly14 on April 21, 2011 at 11:45am
view Holly14's profile

What a great concept. I'll check out the site to see how it all actually works as the floor plan is a bit confusing without more info. As far as I can tell this is fabulous.

posted by dicey1 on April 21, 2011 at 9:16pm
view dicey1's profile

And yet it always comes back to - why are small homes illegal in most parts of the United States? It seriously breaks my heart. I want to OWN something this amazing but no: zoning is against it, taxes revenue too small, blah blah. This does need to be the wave of the future; red tape should be as fragile and removable as it sounds.

Love this modern take, but as a 'non-cook' I could have a media center surrounded by books where most all of that kitchen is. LOVES.

posted by Knifemouth on April 22, 2011 at 3:53am
view Knifemouth's profile

Gorgeous space! I think I would need more natural light but overall the design is fabulous!

posted by bzb on April 24, 2011 at 1:30pm
view bzb's profile

I love it.. but can't vote for it.. i'm more a fan of the underdog.. had to live in it.. and made it work fan.

posted by outcastpoetry on April 24, 2011 at 5:27pm
view outcastpoetry's profile

Great. I love the washer next to the bed. too funny.
It's like living in the trailer home without the trailer house trash living aroundyou.

posted by House Voyeur on April 24, 2011 at 7:38pm
view House Voyeur's profile

Love it! Build some for rent in Abbotsford!!!

posted by S.J.P. on April 25, 2011 at 6:33pm
view S.J.P.'s profile

There is a great you tube video on this home... just querry up "12 cubed home" and there are several video's; one in particular is a comprehensive tour. I've been looking at tiny houses for two years. I've seen it all from Tiny Texas Houses, to Katrina Cottages, Little House on a Trailer, Tumbleweed Tiny Houses and even the French Cube. I have always gone back to the Tumbleweed Tiny House until I found the French Cube and now this. This cube is even better. The design is innovative, spacious (in the tiny house world) and nicely contemperary. What I have yet to learn are the energy options (heat and air) etc... I'm almost ready to move in....r

posted by mustlovecaesar on April 26, 2011 at 6:59pm
view mustlovecaesar's profile

So cute and liveable!! Comfortable and friendly!

posted by bdun on April 26, 2011 at 8:57pm
view bdun's profile

fellow Island dweller (Victoria pour moi!)... nothing like living on the westcoast, even if it is Nanaimo! ;) Fantastique!

posted by bccanada on April 29, 2011 at 3:49pm
view bccanada's profile

iloveit.iloveit.iloveit.. **sigh**

posted by cynthia et alexandre on April 30, 2011 at 7:27pm
view cynthia et alexandre's profile

I would love to see AT do a full house tour, or some sort of article about your dwelling.

posted by k2yhe on April 30, 2011 at 11:55pm
view k2yhe's profile

Decrease the length of the bathroom:

Include the toilet seat within the shower curtain – to sit while showering.

Try a small, 12” – depth, corner sink adjacent to the toilet plumbing – they’re easy to find online.

With a shower curtain, waterproofing just the lower half of the walls may be sufficient.

Rather than excessive shelving, store a cosmetic basket on the shelf over the toilet.

Try a full-length mirror and towel/clothing hooks on the back of the bathroom door.

posted by lil on May 18, 2011 at 3:40pm
view lil's profile

Ecological? Rather than a huge roof and deck, try a simple awning and sit on the lawn.

posted by lil on May 18, 2011 at 3:51pm
view lil's profile

A one-story building with a peaked ceiling, 10’ in height, may be sufficient.

Staircases take up a lot of space.

One daybed or futon couch, with underbed pull-out storage baskets, may be sufficient.

Rather than a desk, try a handheld computer and clipboard.

A dishwasher, microwave and washer/dryer are not always needed.

Try just a lower, corner carousel cabinet for a set of stackable pans/dishes, weekly dry goods and a utensil basket.

posted by lil on May 18, 2011 at 3:55pm
view lil's profile

_____ing fantastic!! this needs a house tour!

posted by northstory on April 20, 2012 at 8:59pm
view northstory's profile