Rae's First Apartment

Name:

Rae

Brooklyn, New York

Division:

Teeny-Tiny

Square Feet:

What I Love About My Home

This was my first apartment where I lived on my own, and I love the personal touches I can play with and enjoy. The blue wall is a color I picked out, the pictures and letters on the door are from family and friends, and one of my posters was designed by my college roommate. It reminds me of people I love, and it feels great to have put it all together.

Biggest Challenge in Furnishing My Home

I live in a studio and very much wanted distinct areas of living and sleeping so that if someone came over, they wouldn't feel like they were having dinner in my bedroom. Using screens that I painted, I was able to create the illusion of separate rooms. I think it makes the space feel so much bigger and gives my sleeping area a feeling of privacy, which can be hard to do in a small open space.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (37)

soooo cute and fun! Love it.

posted by lcb2n8 on April 13, 2011 at 10:05am
view lcb2n8's profile

Kayin, I suppose if you appreciate hanging "art" on your wall, of a man who has killed over 49 million of his people , then you would like Mao.

posted by Otilly on April 14, 2011 at 9:50am
view Otilly's profile

I really like the bedroom area - it's cozy, relaxing, simple. I have GOT to try the white string lights in my room : )

posted by blackandwhite24 on April 14, 2011 at 9:51am
view blackandwhite24's profile

Is that poster of Mao Zedong the COMMUNIST Chinese Leader??? Hate it.

posted by Otilly on April 13, 2011 at 9:10am
view Otilly's profile

I love the string lights for ambient lighting! And I bet that rug feels great on bare feet!

posted by Reddist on April 13, 2011 at 9:46am
view Reddist's profile

Although not a fan of the Mao calendar either, I think you've done a lovely job, it's full of personality and warmth and colour, it looks like a great place to live in.

posted by idontdobeige on April 13, 2011 at 9:57am
view idontdobeige's profile

The Mao calendar is a Warhol calendar - she has several Warhol pieces in their so it makes sense.

posted by cherrybomb on April 13, 2011 at 10:17am
view cherrybomb's profile

<3.

posted by jewelsphraner on April 13, 2011 at 11:29am
view jewelsphraner's profile

I love the keep calm and knit on poster.

posted by aaakid on April 13, 2011 at 11:43am
view aaakid's profile

You have done a great job with a small space. The use of shutters as a room divider is brilliant.
You have worked in a lot of storage, great splash of colour and created a space full of warmth. There seems to be a lot of living in a small space! Good job!

posted by Golden Lion on April 13, 2011 at 11:56am
view Golden Lion's profile

Oh wow...The strings of lights, the curtain tacked up above the bed, the memorabilia on the door, the sofa covered with a fitted sheet, let me count the ways that this is a good first start. Carry on!

posted by msmezzo on April 13, 2011 at 12:32pm
view msmezzo's profile

Nice and Cozy... love it.....

posted by Tarnp on April 13, 2011 at 1:25pm
view Tarnp's profile

I love this because it brought on a purely emotional reaction in me. It makes me want to be young and resourceful again and I can see myself, 20 years ago, tucking my feet under me on that sofa and talking with my best girlfriend until the sun came up. It's tiny, but it has huge soul. I admire the space saving/creating solutions of many of these entries, but when a 316 sf space can evoke nostalgia? That's interior design. Well done!

posted by cvgmiami on April 13, 2011 at 1:58pm
view cvgmiami's profile

The bright colors are great but I'd organize the pictures more and cover the clothes. But love it!

posted by thehealthguru on April 13, 2011 at 3:31pm
view thehealthguru's profile

I never thought I'd see the day when people who visit a design blog would freak out over a Warhol Chairman Mao print. Get with it, weirdos.

posted by DipDipDive on April 13, 2011 at 5:44pm
view DipDipDive's profile

looks dorm-y.

posted by rlmesq on April 13, 2011 at 7:25pm
view rlmesq's profile

love the keep calm poster!

posted by formosagirl on April 13, 2011 at 7:46pm
view formosagirl's profile

Honestly, I find it hard to believe that folks writing in to this site--who can quote the price of any MCM replica furniture you care to name--don't recognize an Andy Warhol reproduction when they see one. It's a wacky old world. You've got a charming place, very homey. Nice use of light and colour.

posted by missbrown2you on April 13, 2011 at 8:03pm
view missbrown2you's profile

Creative uses with color and lighting add a nice ambience. Great job!

posted by auburnswimchic on April 13, 2011 at 8:34pm
view auburnswimchic's profile

seriously... i almost freaked when the mao tsetung comment was made... c'mon...

your place looks great! super cozy.

posted by darlingdesign on April 13, 2011 at 8:49pm
view darlingdesign's profile

You aren't specifically *carrying* pictures of Chairman Mao, so two thumbs up!

posted by Kimota on April 14, 2011 at 1:16am
view Kimota's profile

What DipDipDive said. Jesus, people! And don't ever come to my apt.; you'll see reproductions of early Soviet era movie posters. Horrors!! Stenberg brothers FTW!

(And btw, ya'll can buy cheap crap at Walmart and Target because Mao opened up China to the West. So stop the sanctimony, hypocrites.)

posted by KayinKCMO on April 13, 2011 at 10:57pm
view KayinKCMO's profile

oom chica oom chica oom chica mao mao...

I knew someone who named their cat 'Chairman Meow"

posted by elbebuz on April 14, 2011 at 12:49am
view elbebuz's profile

I wish I had such a cozy place when I was living alone. Seriously, it's great!!

posted by stephaniekae on April 14, 2011 at 1:30am
view stephaniekae's profile

nice use of space, but i think you could find something much better to hang over your bed. I believe it's a shower curtain or just a curtain. Nothing might be better that hanging that. Not sure if it serves another purpose (and if it does, then my mistake).

posted by nyceastvill on April 14, 2011 at 1:42am
view nyceastvill's profile

cute place! the maneater--from columbia, missouri, perhaps??

posted by libbysal on April 14, 2011 at 10:03am
view libbysal's profile

It's cute! I love all the little details. Personally, though, I would arrange the photos and clothes differently.

posted by owlmug on April 14, 2011 at 10:48am
view owlmug's profile

In the spirit of what Apartment Therapy is all about, I salute you!

posted by Christen A. on April 14, 2011 at 5:37pm
view Christen A.'s profile

the thing that cracks me up about the Mao comment is that he's "the COMMUNIST leader". Like we're blogging back in the 1950s or something.

posted by AussieBird on April 14, 2011 at 11:16pm
view AussieBird's profile

I love it.Especially the framed copy of the Maneater. Mizzou-Rah!

posted by Mizzougurl99 on April 15, 2011 at 10:46pm
view Mizzougurl99's profile

i love the lamp between the books... so nice!

posted by burcuayaz1 on April 18, 2011 at 7:29am
view burcuayaz1's profile

So cute and a great use of space

posted by rachaelb on April 18, 2011 at 4:14pm
view rachaelb's profile

Looks really cozy and a great place to come home to. I love the blue wall behind the TV, and the christmas lights are lovely as well.

And the Mao comments are hilarious. Seriously? I have a scroll of Mao's calligraphy on my wall because it's beautiful calligraphy. I guess that makes me an awful human being.

posted by royalhighness789 on April 18, 2011 at 8:45pm
view royalhighness789's profile

This place made me smile and remember my first studio... Nice. I think that blue is a little dark. A lighter color would be even better.

posted by bejeweled on April 21, 2011 at 4:04pm
view bejeweled's profile

Love the bedroom with the lights...also, enjoyed seeing you didn't line up the bed and the couch on one wall (like sometimes happens). Really nice!!

posted by bfergie13 on April 24, 2011 at 7:39am
view bfergie13's profile

Please, what first apartment wouldn't have a little communism thrown in for a few naughty giggles.

posted by Sonje on April 29, 2011 at 1:12am
view Sonje's profile

Love the bed area with the fairy lights and screen. Like the blue behind the tv make the wall pop, it is easy to be too timid with color in a v small space.
Warhol is worth wall space Seriously anyone should be able to recognise a Warhol. If you can't it is time to check out some library books on art in the 20th century.

posted by jennifer in exile on May 1, 2011 at 11:43am
view jennifer in exile's profile