Tanja's Multifunctional & Modern

Name:

Tanja

Los Angeles, California

Division:

Small

Square Feet:

What I Love About My Home

We've managed to make it stylish, multifunctional and packed with storage, but it doesn't look multifunctional or packed with storage. It looks like a regular condo with a comfortable amount of space. I also love that (almost) everything in it is a reflection of us, from the dark bamboo floors to the modern fixtures. And we built and tiled the fireplace surround from scratch!

Biggest Challenge in Furnishing My Home

Being in a condo, and not being able to make any structural changes. We would have loved to open up the kitchen completely, but that was too big a headache to take on. In the end, I think we managed to make the galley so much lighter and brighter, and add surface space, function and storage. Besides that, the shoddy original construction and previous renovation! We righted a lot of wrongs along the way.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (24)

So nice and uncluttered! I wish I could keep my home even half as organized. I love the colours too! Actually, the only thing I didn't love is the rug in the living room (which isn't even bad, it's just not my personal taste, although everything else absolutely is!).

posted by pheebs79 on April 11, 2011 at 12:21pm
view pheebs79's profile

LOVE the sofa and coffee table, where are they from? Great look overall, too.

posted by lazy_lurker on April 11, 2011 at 12:37pm
view lazy_lurker's profile

I love the bedroom :) looks so relaxing

posted by LauraInCancun on April 11, 2011 at 12:42pm
view LauraInCancun's profile

Really nicely done -- only comments: wish the sofa could scooch a bit away from the fireplace and would like to see a sassy, colorful rug in the bathroom.

posted by citipearl on April 11, 2011 at 1:06pm
view citipearl's profile

I'm in LOVE with the chandelier in the second photo! I also love how it coordinates with the bowl on the table.

posted by claireunderwear on April 11, 2011 at 1:13pm
view claireunderwear's profile

love it!! looks so pulled together!

posted by monsterkitty1 on April 11, 2011 at 1:19pm
view monsterkitty1's profile

Thanks, everyone! A few responses...

@pheebs79 -- I'm with you on the rug, actually! It was $100 at Target, and we have yet to upgrade. :-)

@lazy_lurker -- the sofa is the Petrie sofa from Crate and Barrel, in a non-stock color. The coffee table is from Boom Designs, purchased years ago from Room Service in LA as a beat up floor model. Same for the coordinating cubes all around the condo.

@citipearl -- I agree re: a rug in the bathroom, but we have small dogs who for some reason relieve themselves on bath mats, so we had to go with wood instead of fabric.

@claireunderwear -- the chandelier is from Lamps Plus. Actually one of the very first things we bought for the place. I think now we could have gone with something a little bigger, but I do love it. :-)

Thanks again, everyone! You're making my day with your lovely comments.

Tanja
postmodern hostess.

posted by TanjaLA on April 11, 2011 at 1:21pm
view TanjaLA's profile

I LOVE the color choices in your condo. I'm impressed that you managed both a formal dining area and breakfast nook in such a small space. I, too, have a galley kitchen and so I know how difficult they can be to work around decorating wise (though I love how efficient that they are for COOKING in!)

posted by Threadbndr on April 11, 2011 at 1:54pm
view Threadbndr's profile

@Threadbndr -- thanks! You can see more of the galley kitchen here. We spent so much time figuring out how to use that dead space at the end of the galley, but now we love our little eat-in and storage space.

posted by TanjaLA on April 11, 2011 at 2:04pm
view TanjaLA's profile

I love the pic number three. Those shelves and baskets are great..

posted by Ofelia on April 11, 2011 at 2:04pm
view Ofelia's profile

What is the kitchen table and chairs ?
I would love to find that set for my new condo.

Thanks.

posted by Cyrille on April 11, 2011 at 3:57pm
view Cyrille's profile

@Cyrille -- The table/chairs set in the kitchen is from Amazon. The dining set is the Silverado table from CB2 and some green chairs that they don't make anymore.

posted by TanjaLA on April 11, 2011 at 5:19pm
view TanjaLA's profile

What an awesome job. Love the openness you created in the small space. Very contemporary - fantastic!

posted by Barbara Van Den Busch on April 11, 2011 at 6:07pm
view Barbara Van Den Busch's profile

Having been in this condo twice , before renovation, and during the final stages of renovation, I can honestly say that if I had not read your blog, and had not personally seen you and Mark in action, I would be hard pressed to believe that this is a first-time renovation by 2 amateurs....it all looks professionally renovated and decorated.

posted by popman on April 11, 2011 at 6:22pm
view popman's profile

My first visit so I'm having to catch up with all you did in your condo. But my first impression is, "You 2 did all this, held a full-time job, and you are still married?" lol Congratulations......great job!

posted by Isidor on April 12, 2011 at 7:05am
view Isidor's profile

The living room is perfect for lounging and listening to Beegees and ABBA.

posted by TacoBell on April 12, 2011 at 12:07pm
view TacoBell's profile

Great job, guys! I'm sure you are still getting a rush every time you return home to this beautiful love nest you created.

posted by richard the 3rd on April 12, 2011 at 11:21pm
view richard the 3rd's profile

Love your living room, especially the color and style of the furniture. I'm envious of your coffee table.

posted by fdixon on April 13, 2011 at 2:43pm
view fdixon's profile

Lovely!! :) Where's all the storage & multifunctionality though? I' LOVE to see more pics!

posted by iLayla on April 16, 2011 at 1:43pm
view iLayla's profile

I love all the geometery in the living room. The colors are great and I love the green Budha.
I love everything about it.

posted by House Voyeur on April 17, 2011 at 10:30pm
view House Voyeur's profile

The sofa and side chair in the living room are so cool!

posted by Eric811 on April 20, 2011 at 3:13pm
view Eric811's profile

Love the white bathroom cabinet, where's that from?

posted by sunsetlane on June 30, 2011 at 12:03pm
view sunsetlane's profile

Also, the bed! Where's that from? Your bedroom looks so relaxing.

posted by sunsetlane on June 30, 2011 at 12:05pm
view sunsetlane's profile

Hi Sunsetlane -- The bathroom cabinet is from Ikea. The bed is custom (though not for us!) from Room Service in LA.

posted by TanjaLA on November 14, 2011 at 2:54pm
view TanjaLA's profile