Otilia's Temporary Home

Name:

Otilia

Alexandria, Virginia

Division:

Small

Square Feet:

What I Love About My Home

Even though our home is a temporary one, we still wanted it to feel like ours. We chose an apartment with lots of natural light and I filled it with antiques. In such a small space, the rich woods and vibrant fabrics surround us with warmth and character.

Biggest Challenge in Furnishing My Home

Living in a rental is challenging, because our landlord prohibits all but minor alterations. Besides, who wants to invest money into someone else's property...right? It's really about drawing the eye away from the apartment's faults and towards our furnishings, which I love.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (18)

Love all the antiques!

posted by Tracy333 on April 15, 2011 at 12:07pm
view Tracy333's profile

The antiques are beautiful and warm

posted by newdadzilla on April 15, 2011 at 7:07pm
view newdadzilla's profile

I think my favorite part is all the pretty different towels in your bathroom. I HATE mismatched towels but this is so fun an unexpected, but tasteful!

posted by MsPface on April 16, 2011 at 12:59am
view MsPface's profile

what a lovely home! i love the dining table area. your bed is awesome. love the chaise lounge. but wow that thing hanging over the toilet is scary!!

posted by queenyellowsun on April 16, 2011 at 1:23am
view queenyellowsun's profile

As Otilia's husband, I can tell you that the pics don't do our place justice. We live in one of the cheapest apartments in all of Northern Virginia and she has made it special.

posted by RUSIJEFF on April 16, 2011 at 8:02am
view RUSIJEFF's profile

Looks like a winner!

posted by soldatu1 on April 16, 2011 at 4:49pm
view soldatu1's profile

I love your furnishings, and it does make the cookie-cutter-ness of the apartment barely noticeable. I guess your place hasn't gotten a lot of favorites because it doesn't look like an Ikea threw up on it :)

posted by tonia502 on April 16, 2011 at 5:56pm
view tonia502's profile

Love the bathroom

posted by mesosavvy on April 16, 2011 at 6:30pm
view mesosavvy's profile

I like it. In the bathroom I think putting towels over the toilet is gross.

posted by wow247 on April 17, 2011 at 12:29pm
view wow247's profile

You have some great pieces in your home! I especially like the dining room sideboard (dry sink?) and that huge, huge mirror. I, too, like the towels, but have to wonder a) why do rental apartments always seem to have the towel rack over the toilet, and b) why can't they at least hang it to look centered over said toilet? *sigh*

posted by csc76 on April 17, 2011 at 1:51pm
view csc76's profile

I think you've done a lovely job of turning your rental into a home. Your living room in particular, looks cozy and inviting, especially with that patio area just beyond. Nicely done.

posted by Reeal on April 17, 2011 at 5:07pm
view Reeal's profile

Lovely, and different from all the others. I've faved you ;)

posted by Pipstar on April 17, 2011 at 8:56pm
view Pipstar's profile

You do have lovely furnishings. I like the skull in the bathroom as it is so unexpected.

posted by House Voyeur on April 18, 2011 at 12:11pm
view House Voyeur's profile

nice

posted by shrimp on April 18, 2011 at 3:52pm
view shrimp's profile

love this. Fab furnishings.

posted by kimscollectables on April 18, 2011 at 7:16pm
view kimscollectables's profile

There's a lot of furnishings in a small amount of space, well arranged and scaled so it doesn't appear tight. Colors seem balanced too.

posted by Mary Lou Weed on April 20, 2011 at 9:30pm
view Mary Lou Weed's profile

This is one of the best cookie-cutter apartment revisions I've seen -- so hard to take something bland, that you can't paint or alter, and make it feel like a home with personality. Well done!

posted by tenleygwen on April 22, 2011 at 10:51am
view tenleygwen's profile

Delightful. Working with a rental that prohibits alterations is one of the biggest challenges of all (speaking from experience here!) and you have done a wonderful job of making it your own.

posted by heartspyrex on April 28, 2011 at 1:14pm
view heartspyrex's profile