Stacey's Everything from Somewhere

Name:

Stacey

St. Louis, Missouri

Division:

Little

Square Feet:

What I Love About My Home

I love that almost everything came from somewhere, not just some store. I also like the original steel kitchen cabinets that our landlords chose to keep (stripped of paint and given a brushed finish), the cantilevered window-turned-plant shelf that we rigged over the couch, our "headboard," and all the color and light (2nd floor apartments have some advantages!)

Biggest Challenge in Furnishing My Home

It's been a challenge to have adequate seating and storage without the space feeling cramped. We add leaves to the table and use a half dozen vintage wooden folding chairs when entertaining. We also grin and bear the '70s couch, mixing it up with various throws and blankets until we can find/afford something nicer, 'cause sad as it is, it is a place to sit! For storage, we've tried to use freestanding pieces in a way that works to make unused areas useful, instead of simply adding bulky, space-eating storage pieces. In our long, narrow apartment, that meant a bookcase with doors on top of the fridge, crates building up existing kitchen shelving, a tall narrow cabinet between the toilet and sink, a dresser in a closet, a headboard that takes up virtually no space and a wall mounted bedside "table" in our tiny bedroom, a bookshelf set into the bathroom window frame, and wall-mounted bookshelves.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (48)

You have a beautiful place, Stacey. I'll be surprised if you don't make it to the finals.

posted by millmack on April 27, 2011 at 8:21am
view millmack's profile

So gorgeous! Just my taste.

posted by houseworking on April 27, 2011 at 8:55am
view houseworking's profile

I adore this. Homey and soulful.

posted by latoyaversailles on April 27, 2011 at 9:16am
view latoyaversailles's profile

I'm favoriting this because it's different.

posted by kelleyk on April 27, 2011 at 9:50am
view kelleyk's profile

Absolutely charming (and your dog is a cutie!)

posted by SusanStanford on April 27, 2011 at 10:03am
view SusanStanford's profile

I love it! Great pictures! You're right about the light...its nice not having to use electricity to light your home. My favorite part about your house is that its a relaxing environment...oh and also the cool plant window shelf!

posted by litachaquita on April 27, 2011 at 10:18am
view litachaquita's profile

I would love to see the kitchen...maybe a house tour perhaps...

posted by teresadelizo on April 27, 2011 at 11:54am
view teresadelizo's profile

This is a place with personality!

posted by 1stnest on April 27, 2011 at 11:54am
view 1stnest's profile

Love it! So cute and lots of personality! Where the curtains in the dining room are from? I love them!

posted by JMcGee on April 27, 2011 at 12:53pm
view JMcGee's profile

I love the vintage look of this, and the pairing of russet wood with cream and charcoal. A clear winner, in my view.

posted by Violette1 on April 27, 2011 at 12:34pm
view Violette1's profile

I love your dining room the most. This one is definitely going to make the finals!

posted by delg23 on April 27, 2011 at 12:34pm
view delg23's profile

Dang! I was really hoping to see the kitchen too- I have metal cabinets and am considering painting/stripping them. Very warm and homey place!

posted by juliboolie on April 27, 2011 at 1:13pm
view juliboolie's profile

AB FAB. Your space is the very definition of this contest: STYLE in a small space. Well done.

posted by callaloo on April 27, 2011 at 1:18pm
view callaloo's profile

The shot of the living room made me vote, it is so comforting and homely and has a sort of... a dream-like magical vibe!

The throws and blankets on the sofa are working with your whole room. Don't be embarrassed by it, it all looks good together with the other stuff :)

posted by lei on April 27, 2011 at 1:27pm
view lei's profile

It's beautiful! I've been wanting to do your window panel shelf since I saw it at Kelso-I love the idea :) I'm so glad you all have settled into your home and made it yours! I miss you (and Laz) lots. You should find a way to post some of your wedding pictures too-simply stunning!

posted by blue miscellaneous on April 27, 2011 at 1:34pm
view blue miscellaneous's profile

I adore the dining room! Would you mind sharing a little about the curtains? Were they made or purchased? The fabric is just lovely. Wonderfully different entry.

posted by whitrome31 on April 27, 2011 at 1:47pm
view whitrome31's profile

Thanks so much, everyone!

Sorry for no photos of the kitchen...the light was just not cooperating with me this time around! (but if you check out my entry from *Small, Cool 2010*, there's a kichen shot there, including the cabinets!) And, juliboolie: check out this AT post for a redo of similar old cabinets...it's AMAZING!
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/la/crosspost/kitchen-tour-matt-and-blairs-fresh-retro-kitchen-113628

As for the dining room curtains, they are one of my favorite thrift store finds ever--$3.99 each, i think--they had horrible pleating, so i reworked them. Photos/instructions are here: http://happy-go-vintage.blogspot.com/2010/02/once-upon-grimey-thirfting-trip.html

posted by HappyGoVintage on April 27, 2011 at 2:13pm
view HappyGoVintage's profile

i want to see these kitchen cabinets!

posted by lorrinm on April 27, 2011 at 2:21pm
view lorrinm's profile

I love the fabric "headboard" ... I might be stealing this idea in the near future.

posted by Andrea @ Behind Closed Drawers on April 27, 2011 at 2:27pm
view Andrea @ Behind Closed Drawers's profile

Love it! We se move I am totally copying the dining room!

posted by JeanieS on April 27, 2011 at 2:43pm
view JeanieS's profile

LOVE that green cabinet in the living room!

posted by HernandoHouse on April 27, 2011 at 2:49pm
view HernandoHouse's profile

spot on!

posted by Charlene Oden on April 27, 2011 at 3:37pm
view Charlene Oden's profile

I want better pic of those green cabinets! Beautiful! Favorite post yet.

posted by apoolephoto on April 27, 2011 at 3:43pm
view apoolephoto's profile

Love the whole place, but the dining room, especially, took my breath away.

posted by Cliffie93 on April 27, 2011 at 3:48pm
view Cliffie93's profile

ok....HILARIOUS!! i was on your page about to comment that i really like the combinations you've got going in your dining room (dark walls, light table/chairs, collage wall over antique piece etc)...when i noticed someone commented on mine....and it was you. :) ha! anyway, lovely.

to answer your question, i got that two tiered green metal basket from crate and barrel years ago. it's been a great piece to keep fruit and veggies in; i've also used it as a serving dish numerous times.

anyway, love seeing your space stacey. and thanks for your kind comment. :)

jordan

posted by 3floorsup on April 27, 2011 at 5:42pm
view 3floorsup's profile

Absolutely beautiful . Love your style .

posted by kimscollectables on April 27, 2011 at 5:46pm
view kimscollectables's profile

Finally! Something authentically bohemian!

posted by Miss Cosas on April 27, 2011 at 6:19pm
view Miss Cosas's profile

ahh! thanks lady! totally appreciate that! the margin is small so i'm still crossing my fingers. :)
j.

posted by 3floorsup on April 27, 2011 at 7:37pm
view 3floorsup's profile

okay, so i was mistaken...for those of you asking about the kitchen cabinets (and the green cabinet)...they were not pictured in the link i posted. here are a few shots: http://happy-go-vintage.blogspot.com/2011/04/more-of-happygovintage-apartmenthouse.html

posted by HappyGoVintage on April 27, 2011 at 7:50pm

The dog is cute!

posted by Ofelia on April 27, 2011 at 7:50pm
view Ofelia's profile

I'm always thrilled to see some midwest homes make it into the entries. My own entry was not so lucky. I'll happily vote for yours!

posted by Linda Pinsker on April 27, 2011 at 8:07pm
view Linda Pinsker's profile

lovely, cozy, colorful!

posted by lonibelle on April 27, 2011 at 9:54pm
view lonibelle's profile

Wow!
John married well.
;)

posted by al Hartman on April 27, 2011 at 10:53pm
view al Hartman's profile

so beautiful. love the old door knob in picture four - reminds me of the door knob sets i bought for my last house from copper mountain hardware. really cute.

posted by Margaret C on April 27, 2011 at 11:54pm
view Margaret C's profile

great style. love the dining room. hope you get a house tour... i too wanna see the kitchen cabinets!

posted by queenyellowsun on April 28, 2011 at 3:22am
view queenyellowsun's profile

I'd feel at home here. :o)

posted by uphereintheclouds on April 28, 2011 at 1:19am
view uphereintheclouds's profile

i second the house tour. :) this is a pretty fantastic apartment!

posted by healthnut em on April 28, 2011 at 5:42am
view healthnut em's profile

Antiquey....like Gma Joe's, but neat as a pin! Wanna trade?

posted by rob d missionary on April 28, 2011 at 8:48am
view rob d missionary's profile

such a cute space!!! I'm friends with Joy (Turner) and attend G&P and had heard rave reviews about your place from her. they were true! :) such a great apartment.

posted by courtney patch on April 28, 2011 at 9:59am
view courtney patch's profile

I love your apartment, Stace! Great pics!!

posted by libstaboon on April 28, 2011 at 10:46am
view libstaboon's profile

LOVE this space!!!!!!

posted by vpause on April 28, 2011 at 11:07am
view vpause's profile

This is really stylish! I would love to see more for sure!

posted by jagerlea on April 28, 2011 at 11:37pm
view jagerlea's profile

I love your place -- it's beautiful and looks very peaceful.

posted by Pink Bear on April 29, 2011 at 9:18am
view Pink Bear's profile

Hi Stacey,
When I saw the picture of your bedroom, I ran to my living room to fetch a small painting that I got at a thrift store (cost me a hefty $6.99 plus tax) - it is a smaller version of the landscape that's hanging in your bedroom. About half it's size, and it came in a very pretty, fairly wide, off-whitish frame (it looks like milkwash or something similar). Hah! so obviously, I will not discover one day that it is not a precious original that will be my ticket to early retirement (as I had hoped). Oh well. :-)

Your place is very nice and cozy. I love the dining room and the LR rug, though I would not pair it with that sofa (colourwise). The curtains - great job! I am not a fan of pleating myself so I would have to fix them, too.
Love the pooch perching at the window.

posted by CanadianMango on May 1, 2011 at 7:33am
view CanadianMango's profile

our place is ome of my favorites. I also collect from allover the place and like you have mixed chairs painted white. ove your breakfront, green wood and glass bookcase.

Sonia

posted by Sonia G on May 2, 2011 at 8:18pm
view Sonia G's profile

What is that beautiful shade of blue-green in your bedroom? I am constantly looking for the perfect shade of grey-blue-green and that is a gorgeous one.

posted by amity flowers on May 18, 2011 at 3:15pm
view amity flowers's profile

@amity flowers: isn't it great?! I just love it. It's Behr #500F-6 "Hallowed Hush."

posted by HappyGoVintage on May 20, 2011 at 8:32am

I'm in love with that antique buffet piece in your dining room. a lovely place.

posted by Debbie Chap on August 7, 2011 at 11:27am
view Debbie Chap's profile