Evie's Thrifty Home

Name:

Evie

Raleigh, North Carolina

Division:

Little

Square Feet:

What I Love About My Home

My apartment is filled with things that I have collected that make me happy and make my space uniquely "me." The best part is that I found most everything in my apartment from a thrift store so it has been furnished inexpensively too!

Biggest Challenge in Furnishing My Home

Dealing with awkwardly spaced rooms and working around huge windows!

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (45)

HOORAY for using thriftstore finds so nicely! Wish I could find a rug like that!

posted by Annie-O on April 8, 2011 at 11:11am
view Annie-O's profile

What does the bedroom look like?

posted by confettimeg on April 8, 2011 at 8:22am
view confettimeg's profile

The bedroom looks like the one room I haven't gotten around to yet :)

posted by EvieBDixon on April 8, 2011 at 8:26am
view EvieBDixon's profile

However, if you would like to see part of it, including some Anthropologie look-alike curtains I made for the bedroom follow this link:

http://eviesindependentliving.blogspot.com/2010/12/do-it-yoself-anthropologie-curtains-for.html

posted by EvieBDixon on April 8, 2011 at 8:28am

the living room is really cute, but I want to see the bedroom and kitchen!

posted by lorrinm on April 8, 2011 at 8:32am
view lorrinm's profile

I know, I wish I could go back and add them, I didn't think that through!

posted by EvieBDixon on April 8, 2011 at 8:38am

I love that pink chair!

posted by momnipotent on April 8, 2011 at 11:06am
view momnipotent's profile

Are you couch and pink armchair from the thrift store you found? They are amazing. Are these the original covers?

posted by hotpaprika on April 8, 2011 at 11:34am
view hotpaprika's profile

This is defninitly one of my top favorites in large part because I'm totally in love with your sofa and chairs! Love the style and the colors and pink and green together...so cute and creative. Would love to have seen the kitchen and bedroom though.

posted by Tracy333 on April 8, 2011 at 11:52am
view Tracy333's profile

@ momnipotent - Thanks! I love that chair too, I already had a pink velvet chair where that one was, but when I saw the shape of THAT pink velvet chair I had to have it!

@Annie-O - keep searching, finding a good rug is worth it!

@hotpaprika - The couch and armchair ARE from thrift stores!! The couch was $42 and the chair was a little bit of a splurge at $75. The chair is the original cover and in really good shape after using a little big of scratch polish on the wood. The couch was recovered by a really good/cheap upholsterer I found through Craigslist, it was about $375 to recover which was my Christmas present from my parents :)

@Tracy333 - Thank you!! I love pink and green together too even though my boyfriend teases me about it! I wish I had known to put in pictures of my kitchen and bedroom...chalk that up to knowing better next time!

posted by EvieBDixon on April 8, 2011 at 2:39pm

love it...so charming!

posted by Kameelah on April 8, 2011 at 4:54pm
view Kameelah's profile

I like that shade of pink on your living room wall -- really nice!

posted by LolaDanger on April 8, 2011 at 5:07pm
view LolaDanger's profile

I hope this doesn't come across as being a creeper, but I think you live in my apartment complex! I may have even complimented you on your curtains when our dogs were sniffing each other :D

posted by ohmydarlin on April 8, 2011 at 5:12pm
view ohmydarlin's profile

@ HomeIdeaResource - thank you! You want to know the best thing about that rug aside from it's design addition to the room...you can spill ANYTHING on it, and you would never know it!

@Kameelah - Thanks!!

@LolaDanger - I debated about going pink, but I have loved it ever since I put it on my walls! It somehow feels more grown up than my pink bedrooms I had growing up.

@ Ohmydarlin - Totally not creeper! I remember you commenting on my curtains! Please drop in and say hey with your dog anytime and please tell me both of your names again! I actually had a similar moment the other day when I saw the "isuwanee" blogger walking past my window and I wrote her to tell her about it. Also, how could you not recognize one of these apartments, they are pretty unique...yes unique is a good word for it!

posted by EvieBDixon on April 8, 2011 at 5:50pm

I love your couch! There's a really similar one sitting in the workshop where I'm taking upholstery class. I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a similar one myself.

posted by knitsmcgee on April 8, 2011 at 6:07pm
view knitsmcgee's profile

@Knitsmcgee - great name! And thanks, I spotted the couch on a really busy day at the thrift store and when I saw it I ripped the tag off of it and took it to the register so fast it would have made your head spin...but I don't think I had to, I'm pretty sure I was the only one there who saw the previous fabric with how ratty and scratched it was and actually considered it a treasure!

posted by EvieBDixon on April 8, 2011 at 7:00pm

That pink chair is fabulous!

posted by tarabellucci on April 8, 2011 at 7:59pm
view tarabellucci's profile

@Tarabellucci - Thank you, I love it too! Salvation Army...it may be one of my best thrift store finds to date!

posted by EvieBDixon on April 8, 2011 at 8:16pm

You need a TV show!

posted by saraed77 on April 8, 2011 at 8:56pm
view saraed77's profile

@Saraed77 - You are the best!

posted by EvieBDixon on April 8, 2011 at 8:58pm

Those are some sweet thrifted pieces. I wish we saw more of the other rooms, but you've still got my vote.

posted by LizU on April 8, 2011 at 11:14pm
view LizU's profile

This one is great. Love your blog too!

posted by mark ochocinco on April 8, 2011 at 11:24pm
view mark ochocinco's profile

Very cute apartment! (I honestly think you have a bigger place than we do...) I also wish I could see more of the kitchen and the bedroom, but the finds and style we get to see is very cute.

The pink chair is kind of awesome. Yet another reminder that I need to finish my three chair projects.

posted by HandmadeKatie on April 8, 2011 at 11:29pm
view HandmadeKatie's profile

So many things to love! If I could vote a million times, I would!

posted by Tippy on April 9, 2011 at 12:21am
view Tippy's profile

I feel like you're showing us your furniture, not the rooms... and showing only the living room furniture at that.

It's very cute and I like what I see, but since the whole point is to show your home, I wish you had used a wider lens (let us see more than close-ups) and showed the other rooms too—even if they aren't "complete."

posted by Mrs.Mack on April 9, 2011 at 5:20am
view Mrs.Mack's profile

Love your sofa and pink chair!

posted by Tonja Morris on April 9, 2011 at 1:42pm
view Tonja Morris's profile

Wow. I saw the before of your coffee table. What a fantastic job! I really like your entry the best so far. You are using substantial, comfortable furniture and your place looks great.

posted by Terry3 on April 9, 2011 at 9:00pm
view Terry3's profile

@Blandwagon (et al who commented on the lack of photos of other rooms) - Thanks for the compliments on the room, I really appreciate it. However, I am as sad as you are that I didn't include the other rooms. I have an awesome kitchen with some chalk paint cabinets, a really cool two tone bathroom, and yes, a bedroom that I haven't gotten around to yet but I have a lot of ideas swirling around for it. Here is how this entry went down. I saw Rashon's entry, he is a fellow thrifter and I follow his blog, so I submitted some photos that I had taken for my blog, on a whim. I had never heard of Small/Cool before (I know, I know so bad of me because this website is awesome!) so I had no idea what I was doing. Two of my photos are fuzzy because I couldn't tell the difference between them and the non fuzzy photos on the small thumbnail, I would totally go back and change that if I had the chance. I would also have had more variety, I just had NO clue. I appreciate you pointing out things that I did well, but trust me when I say that I am kicking myself in the pants for not including photos of other rooms. Maybe next year they will let me make up for my mistake :)

posted by EvieBDixon on April 10, 2011 at 11:36pm

Hands down to all the thrifters it's good to see you guys here, may it inspire lots of people to combine their small budgets, creativity and sense for the treasure hunt to think out of the Ikea box.

posted by Allegra M on April 11, 2011 at 12:18pm
view Allegra M's profile

@Allegra M - Thanks, I agree with you, I think thrifting is the best way to not only get inexpensive items that challenge your creativity muscle, but the best way to get unique items that can't be found in every shop across America!

posted by EvieBDixon on April 11, 2011 at 2:43pm

Pictures of ALL the other rooms up on my blog.

http://eviesindependentliving.blogspot.com/2011/04/feature-my-other-rooms.html

@nonie - explain?

posted by EvieBDixon on April 12, 2011 at 12:31am

Glad I looked at the other pictures! It's a sweet place.

Also, it seems you can enter the Small Cool contest in multiple years, so definitely plan for entering again next year! :)

posted by emmelemm on April 12, 2011 at 1:08am
view emmelemm's profile

@emmelemm - Thank you! I will DEF. be re-entering next year!

posted by EvieBDixon on April 12, 2011 at 9:11am

Love this ,but would be good to see bedroom

posted by kimscollectables on April 13, 2011 at 8:07am
view kimscollectables's profile

I see you are not getting votes and it's a shame because your apartment is truly well-laid out and very beautiful.

posted by Terry3 on April 13, 2011 at 8:48am
view Terry3's profile

I love it! Your personality really comes through and it is well-edited. Good demonstration that you don't need to spend a lot to make an impact. Also, thrifting in the South is the bomb! Jealous!

posted by Tara from BrooklynTalks on April 13, 2011 at 8:51am
view Tara from BrooklynTalks's profile

God I love this apartment. Your use of real furniture is to be commended, as are your DIY skills.

I'd like to see this apartment win.

posted by Terry3 on April 14, 2011 at 10:13am
view Terry3's profile

Thanks so much Terry...a win would take a whooooole lotta votes haha!

posted by EvieBDixon on April 14, 2011 at 3:33pm

@Tara from BrooklynTalks - yes thrifting in the south IS the bomb! I would love to visit some vintage stores in NYC though...

posted by EvieBDixon on April 14, 2011 at 3:34pm

By far my favorite apartment. I particularly like the use of real furniture and repurposed, refurbished thrift pieces.

It lives much larger than it is and it looks like a real place where real people live. It does not have a starving student vibe (my apologies to starving students).

It's just brilliant.

posted by Terry3 on April 14, 2011 at 7:16pm
view Terry3's profile

Frustrated here because, despite yours being the best apartment, it's not getting the votes. Nonetheless, I believe you should win.

posted by Terry3 on April 16, 2011 at 3:05am
view Terry3's profile

Nice colors here. Love the green sofa.

posted by scandesign on April 22, 2011 at 5:37am
view scandesign's profile

I agree, nice place, but really need to see more than just the living room to really get a feel for the home.

posted by suzy8track on April 23, 2011 at 6:27pm
view suzy8track's profile

I can't tell you how envious I am of your couch.

posted by TinySpaceJill on April 29, 2011 at 10:53am
view TinySpaceJill's profile

Very charming and I absolutely love your green sofa!

posted by Jannieluvs2cre8 on April 30, 2011 at 10:16pm
view Jannieluvs2cre8's profile