Dana's First Condo

Name:

Dana

Toronto, Canada

Division:

International

Square Feet:

What I Love About My Home

I love the high ceilings, exposed ductwork, amazing light, and the modern yet comfortable feel. I love that my building has history - an old mattress factory. I live in an up-and-coming area, so I appreciate the diversity of my neighbourhood. This is my first home and I'm proud of how it turned out, and how so much of me is in this space.

Biggest Challenge in Furnishing My Home

Finding somewhere to rest my head at night. At first, I was adamant about having a queen sized bed in the condo. After realizing that it wasn't practical or esthetically appealing I settled on a modern looking, comfortable sleeper that could function as a couch during the day and bed at night. The challenge was finding a sleeper that had a good fit with the look I was going for.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (29)

@ Raaina - it's from HomeSense.

posted by Dana Brown on April 10, 2011 at 3:32pm
view Dana Brown's profile

where's the bed?

posted by lorrinm on April 8, 2011 at 8:33am
view lorrinm's profile

There is no bed! The couch you see is a sleeper bed - here's the product link to see how it opens: http://www.modernsensibility.com/SERENDIPITY-p/s2029b.htm

posted by Dana Brown on April 8, 2011 at 9:04am

Wow, 373 sq ft - beautiful job!

posted by Annie-O on April 8, 2011 at 11:15am
view Annie-O's profile

Love your home. It's so warm and cozy. Hope you win.

posted by alexius on April 8, 2011 at 6:31pm
view alexius's profile

I'd like to see the sleeping area. From what you are showing, the place looks very good. Very stylishly done for your first condo! Good luck!

posted by RMF325 on April 8, 2011 at 8:34pm
view RMF325's profile

Love the Venice triptic You must love TRAVEL me too

posted by jill parnell on April 8, 2011 at 8:49pm
view jill parnell's profile

Very nice, but do you miss a 'big' bed?

posted by paintinglife on April 8, 2011 at 8:54pm
view paintinglife's profile

@ Jill - I adore travel. Even my salt and pepper shakers are in the shape of the Eiffel tower!

posted by Dana Brown on April 8, 2011 at 9:21pm

I do miss a big bed, but when I entertain I'm glad not to have guests sitting on a bed, or having it in my entertaining space.

posted by Dana Brown on April 8, 2011 at 9:19pm

How is the bed/couch to sleep on?

posted by stev1234 on April 8, 2011 at 9:41pm
view stev1234's profile

@ Klaus - the Venice prints are on canvas:
http://www.urbanbarn.com/products/Room-Accents/Pictures-and-Frames/venice-landscape/483

@ Stev - The sleeper took about a month to lose it's brand new feel. It's now actually pretty comfortable to sleep on.

@ Lola - Yes, they are the authentic cinder blocks, according to a few neighbours I've spoken with. I love seeing Canadian entries on Apartment Therapy, so I just had to apply to the contest!

posted by Dana Brown on April 9, 2011 at 1:53pm

Nice couch / bed!! Very pretty and fits with the rest of the place. (it wasn't until you said it was a bed that I knew). Great :)

posted by thehealthguru on April 9, 2011 at 1:54pm
view thehealthguru's profile

Like the industrial feel to your home - exposed ductwork, brick walls. Dark flooring goes well with the cupboards and works with the light in the space.

I'm Canadian too...so good luck Dana!

posted by Shelleybelle on April 9, 2011 at 3:40pm
view Shelleybelle's profile

Very nice condo. Love your travel accessories. I hope you win.

posted by Natalie-Gr2 on April 9, 2011 at 8:48pm
view Natalie-Gr2's profile

Hi Dana,

I think I was almost your neighbor...I sold the mirror unit to yours in January... did you by any chance move in after that? I was on the south side. I miss my old condo. Great job. Measurement wise though, I think mine was actually 343 sq. feet... wanted to post mine here as well but can't copy the file from my 3 D architect program.

posted by CUBERS on April 10, 2011 at 2:03am
view CUBERS's profile

@ Cubers - I bought the condo and moved into it in February, so we just missed eachother!

posted by Dana Brown on April 10, 2011 at 9:11am

Beautiful job with a small space. I love the triptych and your "travel art" (Eiffel Tower, Big Ben, etc.) scattered about. (I will stop complaining about our <1000 sf condo now. Maybe. :) )

posted by eileen marie on April 10, 2011 at 2:18pm
view eileen marie's profile

I love the chair next to your couch, source please?!

posted by Raaina on April 10, 2011 at 3:24pm
view Raaina's profile

Hello from a fellow Canadian....about 2 hours east of you:) Great apartment:)

posted by lee66 on April 10, 2011 at 7:24pm
view lee66's profile

The Big Ben tower (or whatever it's called) in wire is too cool for words. I like the travel theme that runs through the apartment - it's a theme that's easy to do badly, but you've done it with taste and style.

posted by Blandwagon on April 10, 2011 at 11:31pm
view Blandwagon's profile

I love the hanging dish rack. It solves multiple issues at once!

posted by Miko Love on April 13, 2011 at 2:10pm
view Miko Love's profile

the arrangements are very tastfully done. It looks like something you'd see in a magazine. Nice work.....

posted by L.B. LaCourse on April 14, 2011 at 10:11am
view L.B. LaCourse's profile

I'm always impressed when someone can take such a small space and make it a Home....

posted by joyia on April 16, 2011 at 12:49pm
view joyia's profile

Hi Dana, we're so happy that we could help you find a sofa bed that fit perfectly into your space. I love what you've down with the decor, really shows how much you can do with so little. Good luck with your new condo! enjoy.

posted by Modern Sensibility on April 16, 2011 at 2:50pm
view Modern Sensibility's profile

hope you don't mind, we're going to post it to our facebook page. You can 'like' us there just search Modern Sensibility.

posted by Modern Sensibility on April 16, 2011 at 2:52pm
view Modern Sensibility's profile

your eiffel tower curtain is great!!

posted by burcuayaz1 on April 18, 2011 at 7:13am
view burcuayaz1's profile

Very impressed with making such a teeny space so livable looking. (Also, my great-grandfather founded that mattress factory! My dad has told stories about his not-so-fond memories of summer jobs there, and i get such a kick out of seeing it as condos!)

posted by Deeliscious on April 26, 2011 at 9:37am
view Deeliscious's profile

ooo i really like the chair in #3 & #5. and that little wire big ben, so cute !

this place has a really great feel to it: comfortable, beautiful, home. :)

posted by pizzapi on May 7, 2011 at 11:21am
view pizzapi's profile