Allison's Details from the Past

Name:

Allison

Seattle, Washington

Division:

Teeny-Tiny

Square Feet:

What I Love About My Home

My building was a hotel in the 1920s that has been converted into apartments, and I love the history! There is an old, non-working radiator in the corner, the hardwood floor and walls are aged and grooved, and there are random hinges left on the entryways; I love the details from the past. My goal has been to create a warm and inviting atmosphere by using colors to pop against the stark, white walls.

Biggest Challenge in Furnishing My Home

Despite only having one main room, it was very important to me to still have separate living areas. I used color stories and furniture to divide the "bedroom" from the "living room" from the "office", but I'm constantly thinking up new ways to break up the space!

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (30)

The bedroom looks like an Ikea showroom. That's probably why I like it. ;) Good working with what you have.

posted by Tracy333 on April 7, 2011 at 11:31am
view Tracy333's profile

Cute kitchen. I'm not sure about dark furniture in a small space, it just pops to the eye. Also the closet looks huge, maybe it could be converted so you'll have more space for the living room ?

posted by Allegra M on April 7, 2011 at 8:57am
view Allegra M's profile

It feels a bit cramped, at least from the photos.
If I were you, I'd most definitely change the artwork.
To seen the bathroom would have been interesting
and I wouldn't dismiss AllegraM's idea.

posted by diridi on April 7, 2011 at 9:08am
view diridi's profile

It has a very "boudoir" like atmosphere! It's a shame the light in your photos is not very good because I have the feeling your place is much cozier than it looks here.

posted by hotpaprika on April 7, 2011 at 10:53am
view hotpaprika's profile

Oh my gosh. Great job Allison. I never thought that one could make a old hotel room livable. I like your use of tones of purple for the sleeping area and blue for your sitting area.

posted by JimmyJohn on April 7, 2011 at 11:59am
view JimmyJohn's profile

This is, without hesitation, the best entry in the teeny-tiny division. As the title suggests, Allison's hotel home is a ray of sunshine among a field clouded with cliché design choices. The scarf closet, the ancient phone and the masterfully placed art work made me want to move right in to this "Seattle Sanctuary." Well done Allison.

posted by Tom Nordstrom on April 7, 2011 at 12:26pm
view Tom Nordstrom's profile

Extremely impressive use of space, imo. And I LOVE the scarf "curtain!"

posted by Annie-O on April 7, 2011 at 12:35pm
view Annie-O's profile

Allison, I love your apartment! I actually really like your use of dark furniture in a small space - I think it adds sophistication and elegance. The bedroom is my favourite area - the purple and black, along with the candles, the mirror, the simple artwork... gorgeous! It's sexy and cozy, the perfect combination for a bedroom ;o) Overall, fabulous job!

posted by HollyGoBrightly on April 7, 2011 at 12:51pm
view HollyGoBrightly's profile

Love the artfulness of this place, and plum is always so chic!

posted by iaspire on April 7, 2011 at 2:12pm
view iaspire's profile

I live in the Seattle area and would love to know what building this is and it's location. Thanks.

posted by Roozter on April 7, 2011 at 2:19pm
view Roozter's profile

I love the purple chair/mirror/candles set-up, and the funky tropical painting - it's just the right colors for the space!

I too am a hometown Seattlite, so I'd love to know what building this is, but I'd totally understand if you don't want to say. :)

posted by emmelemm on April 7, 2011 at 3:03pm
view emmelemm's profile

I love the scarves.

posted by Mary_L. on April 7, 2011 at 5:04pm
view Mary_L.'s profile

I agree that I think the lighting doesn't do this entry justice. It feels really cramped to me, but I bet it's more cozy in person.

posted by SFview on April 7, 2011 at 6:36pm
view SFview's profile

I quite like this one, it's different and quirky. I really like the scarves in the doorway! One thing I would say is the height of the artwork is a bit off, they just need to be a bit lower.

I especially love the little living 'room' you've created. And that green curtain is just gorge!

posted by KimGriff on April 7, 2011 at 6:41pm
view KimGriff's profile

love the scarves, and the kitchen is super adorable. i think the layout needs some work, though (that closet would make an AWESOME office), and i agree that all the dark furniture isn't doing the space any favours.

posted by thekatpack on April 7, 2011 at 7:31pm
view thekatpack's profile

Thanks for all of the input, everyone! I have thought about converting my closet area into something more useful, but I just can't part with the walk-in closet... ;)
By the way, my building is in the Eastlake area of Seattle. I love the neighborhood!

~Allison

posted by Allikh on April 7, 2011 at 8:50pm
view Allikh's profile

Thank you for not making your entry pics irritatingly artsy with vignettes and superficially perfect lighting! Also, I love purple so points for that. I happen to love Ikea and probably go there too often [it's down the street from work...], but the fact that I can probably name most of your furniture is kind of a downer for me :( sorry. It also might mean I need to spend less time there. Great effort and I'm jealous of its charm.

posted by ohkatie on April 8, 2011 at 2:10am
view ohkatie's profile

I love how you have seperated the living areas (feel just like you do about that). I cannot believe it is only 372 sq. ft., it looks bigger. Awesome space! Downtown L.A. has turn many old hotels into micro lofts also!!!

posted by Bouncewden on April 8, 2011 at 4:27am
view Bouncewden's profile

turned***

posted by Bouncewden on April 8, 2011 at 4:27am
view Bouncewden's profile

Of all the tiny spaces I've seen, this seems like the one that I could most easily "move into" - I like the simplicity, all the colors are those I love, and everything just...fits. Great job!

posted by Shadlyn on April 8, 2011 at 9:49am
view Shadlyn's profile

Love it, nice job Allison!

posted by cheris202 on April 8, 2011 at 10:22am
view cheris202's profile

Love the scarves idea, your living room and the purple colors!

posted by thehealthguru on April 8, 2011 at 4:35pm
view thehealthguru's profile

love how you used the scarves to divide your space, I would prefer to see more continuity in the curtain colors. I understand that you are creating separate areas using color but I think perhaps you should try different shades of the same color or have all the curtains the same with contrasting trim to Tell your color story.

posted by jude252 on April 10, 2011 at 4:04pm
view jude252's profile

I think I understand your choice on dark furnitures. They really gave a little more personality in your space. I dig it. =) Good luck!

posted by pier723 on April 11, 2011 at 1:02am
view pier723's profile

This is my favourite, I love the colours! You have a great style that is fun yet classic. Nothing looks out of place! I especially like the sitting room area. Looks like the perfect spot to enjoy a cup of tea!

posted by Stella London on April 11, 2011 at 12:30pm
view Stella London's profile

while this apartment doesnt seem as professionally designed as the others in this contest, thats why i love it! you get a lot out of your space here and while it does look like an ikea showroom, it looks like one id like to live in. high five for the plum ikea curtains - i have them too and its hard to believe its just $20 a panel for these gorgeous pieces!

posted by aliciajayn on April 11, 2011 at 1:41pm
view aliciajayn's profile

I love the scarf curtain! I wonder if there's a way to hide the back of the Poang chair? I have one, too, and it's against a corner because I hate that lighter, contrasting back. Maybe you could faux-upholster it with one of your scarves? :)

posted by FrontPorchPirate on April 13, 2011 at 10:12am
view FrontPorchPirate's profile

Cute display idea for your scarfs. I might just have to follow suit.

posted by thesmilequeen on April 13, 2011 at 6:11pm
view thesmilequeen's profile

LOVE the bed area! & the concept of separating function with color!

Not so sure about black/grey furniture, was expecting more purple/plum and more Art Nouveau feel throughout! :)

Love the idea of living in an ex hotel too!! YAY!!

posted by iLayla on April 16, 2011 at 9:09am
view iLayla's profile

Allison, where did you get your desk? I'm looking for one for a tiny space and I really like yours!

posted by nhbrooklyn on May 4, 2011 at 9:13pm
view nhbrooklyn's profile