Julie's Mediterranean Revival

Name:

Julie

Green Bay, Wisconsin

Division:

Tiny

Square Feet:

What I Love About My Home

I love it's vintage European charm. It is a Mediterranean Revival style apartment built in 1930. Although updates have been made, there are many original features to the apartment, including: some windows, terrazzo flooring, exposed beams, light fixtures, vanity, doors/knobs and faucets. The structure of the apartment complements my thrifty, do-it-yourself, vintage sense of design!

Biggest Challenge in Furnishing My Home

My home is a live/work space. With only a couple small closets, it was difficult to keep organized and find storage space without looking messy or overcrowding the apartment. I came up with creating a wall to wall shelving that extends the length of my living room and runs directly below the windows (a previously unused open space). I also use a vintage cooler for and end table/storage. and vintage bowling bags for under couch storage.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (21)

I love the luggage art; very original and creative.

posted by Neem on April 20, 2011 at 11:46am
view Neem's profile

the beams are really awesome! I live the suitcases as well.

posted by andrea_xtina on April 20, 2011 at 1:03pm
view andrea_xtina's profile

You've done an amazing job of repurposing things which really makes this place interesting. It's definitely personal. Also, I'm a sucker for a cat on a bed. Not sure it's one of my favorites but I recognize it's very creative and funky.

posted by cvgmiami on April 20, 2011 at 9:16am
view cvgmiami's profile

very creative!

posted by clabich on April 20, 2011 at 11:10am
view clabich's profile

I'm afraid I'll be stealing the idea of the suitcase shadow boxes! Got my vote as a favorite small space, especially because of the originality.

posted by mizlandry on April 20, 2011 at 1:50pm
view mizlandry's profile

Julie, puh-lease tell me more about that adorable little black and white checkerboard table in your kitchen/dining room!!

posted by Reeses902 on April 20, 2011 at 5:40pm
view Reeses902's profile

love the headboard. and dining chairs. you obviously are an artist. great style!

posted by queenyellowsun on April 21, 2011 at 3:00am
view queenyellowsun's profile

Love the tuxedo kitty!

posted by Cliffie93 on April 20, 2011 at 6:31pm
view Cliffie93's profile

You had me with the suitcase art - looove! Reminds me of White Oleander, one of my most favourite books/movies.

posted by kristinb1 on April 20, 2011 at 7:19pm
view kristinb1's profile

Very cute but with only five photos why waste two on vignettes?

posted by sally305 on April 20, 2011 at 10:41pm
view sally305's profile

I can't believe an apartment this gorgeous exists in Green Bay. Do you live on Monroe? I love the idea of using a car seat as a couch!

posted by MsPface on April 20, 2011 at 10:59pm
view MsPface's profile

Wow, I love the grid headboard for your bed! So simple & perfect.

posted by emmelemm on April 21, 2011 at 1:35am
view emmelemm's profile

Am I the only one who doesn't think plywood+cinder blocks equal wall-to-wall shelving? The sitting area shot does not blend with the other photos. It's too "my first apartment" for me.

posted by highondesign on April 21, 2011 at 2:50am
view highondesign's profile

bed cover and your cat is so lovely!

posted by burcuayaz1 on April 21, 2011 at 4:45am
view burcuayaz1's profile

Love your "rug" and "chandelier." Inspired to try my father's attache case for displaying family memorabilia.

Naturally the cat picked the perfect setting to show off her colors. She would also look very photogenic in the window by the checkered table!

posted by Lilly3 on April 21, 2011 at 6:03am
view Lilly3's profile

Love your headboard and your cooler/end table! You're a little quirky, in a good way.

posted by mauishopgirl on April 21, 2011 at 6:32am
view mauishopgirl's profile

I'm glad all of you like my home!!
I just wanted to respond to a couple questions and statements:

Reeses902- I actually made the table! The checkerboard top is oddly checkered vinyl flooring that I nailed to a board and attached a chrome border.

MsPface - Yes, the building is truly one of a kind to the area!

highondesign- I was never a fan of cinder block/ board shelving before either. When I needed something cheap, large, and easily movable for all my art supplies (something that I didn't care much about getting dirty), it just fit. The shelf eventually grew on me. I have thought about replacing it, just to change things up, but nothing has inspired me yet.

posted by juliebrzez on April 21, 2011 at 9:11am
view juliebrzez's profile

LOVE this one. one of my favorites by far. love how your personality shines through.

posted by annacorriep on April 23, 2011 at 10:51am
view annacorriep's profile

The suitcase art is reminiscent of "White Oleander" one of my favorite novels.

posted by aimeejean on April 24, 2011 at 7:06pm
view aimeejean's profile

This is the first that I've fav'd and I've seen every single entry. You've done an absolutely magnificent job at creating a beautiful ambiance without being tied down by details.

posted by a2dxyn on April 24, 2011 at 7:21pm
view a2dxyn's profile

I created an account just to tell you how much I'm in love with your place!

posted by Abraham de Lacey Giuseppe Casey on April 25, 2011 at 4:24pm
view Abraham de Lacey Giuseppe Casey's profile