Ryan's Georgetown Vintage

Name:

Ryan

Washington, Washington D.C.

Division:

Teeny-Tiny

Square Feet:

What I Love About My Home

I love how the building's character complements my taste in vintage pieces. The apartment is located in a 1920s Georgetown red-brick. My salvaged shelves (made of an old shutter and door), antique briefcases, and rusted warehouse stool accentuate the character of the apartment's original wood floors and whitewashed walls. Using both my own pieces and the attributes of the apartment, I've been able to create a small, vintage-inspired home. (See "Mr. Mars" of Country Funk in Eastern Market for the shelves and other architectural art.)

Biggest Challenge in Furnishing My Home

The biggest challenge in arranging a small studio is striking a balance between creating separate spaces while retaining a sense of consistency to the room. Through the placement of the sofa, chair, antiques and art, I've been able to make a welcoming seating area of focal and conversation points. The cowhide rug distinguishes the seating area from the bed. I've used the area behind the chair as a small welcome space. The art, boots, and shelf frame the wall and make a nice nook just inside the entrance. Making the space seem larger than it actually is was also a challenge. Stacking pictures vertically up the wall along with the large, tall windows helps makes the room seem taller. The long mirror on the kitchen shelf helps open the narrow kitchen. Special thanks to my friend Amy Anderson of Studio A Photography for the photos.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (33)

There's nothing like living in Georgetown in DC.

Rashon aka Mr. Goodwill Hunting

posted by Mr. Goodwill Hunting on April 11, 2011 at 12:14pm
view Mr. Goodwill Hunting's profile

These pictures, while nice, don't really give me an overall feel for the space or how it's laid out at all. The description talks about elements that aren't pictured - I'd like to see the vertically stacked pictures referenced. And while the antique briefcase is cool (and well shot!), does it really need two pictures?

posted by the urban girl on April 8, 2011 at 11:41am
view the urban girl's profile

I agreed with the urban girl. These photos feel like they are featuring furnitures, rather than the overall apartment layout. I wish they were taken from a wider angle. However, I am liking the decors in this place.

posted by pier723 on April 8, 2011 at 12:38pm
view pier723's profile

Thirded. In a contest like this, it's unhelpful to use more than half of the photos of the place on close-ups of vignettes, even if they are nice.

posted by babyfishmouth on April 8, 2011 at 12:56pm
view babyfishmouth's profile

Beautiful!

Note to the photo critics above, it's really hard to get far enough back is 300 sq feet to show the whole space. And the people who have used wide angle lens to capture the whole space get comments about people's eyes hurting.

Everyones a critic, I guess.

posted by chmittens on April 8, 2011 at 1:47pm
view chmittens's profile

@chmittens, I think perhaps what the other commenters are referring to is exactly how close up a couple of the shots are. Maybe one of the shots of the 'coffee table' could have been sacrificed for one of the kitchen?

On another note, I do love the photos, they are very magazine-esque!

posted by KimGriff on April 8, 2011 at 4:02pm
view KimGriff's profile

Everyone's a critic.

posted by chmittens on April 8, 2011 at 5:26pm
view chmittens's profile

You get a vote from me simply because I used to live in Georgetown, but I do like your place. Agree that the photos aren't doing your place justice; hard to get a broad sense of the place. Still, I do like what I am seeing. If you make it to the finals, please get some better pictures!

posted by RMF325 on April 8, 2011 at 5:51pm
view RMF325's profile

I don't want to add to the cynicism, but I agree that wide angle shots are missing here, I would like to have a better feel for your place as a whole and I just don't get that from 4 detail shots. I probably would drop photos 3 and 5 in favor of photos that give us a sense of space. I say this as a photo editor and as a fellow Washingtonian. That said, this is by far one of my favorite apartments so far. It's got a wonderful understated personality to it that I imagine makes anyone feel instantly at home. Beautiful photos.

posted by kateln on April 8, 2011 at 5:51pm
view kateln's profile

It's like Ralph Lauren Polo ad, which I find obnoxious sorry to say.

posted by onexnwykr on April 8, 2011 at 6:15pm
view onexnwykr's profile

Agree with the previous comments on the lack of layout shots.

What's up with the RL paper shopping bag in the first photo? Do we need to know where you buy your shirts?

posted by RocketScientist on April 8, 2011 at 6:22pm
view RocketScientist's profile

So very Georgetown and very masculine. So clean and well edited. Looks like a great place so far and we'd all like to see some more shots of. Take all of the griping as a compliment - we want to see MORE of your place.

posted by ElaneB on April 8, 2011 at 6:29pm
view ElaneB's profile

I love the photos. Your friend did a great job. Nice masculine colors.

posted by arnold on April 8, 2011 at 6:36pm
view arnold's profile

Plus, you get extra points for showing off your well-ordered closet. I could never do that without first massive purging.

posted by arnold on April 8, 2011 at 6:38pm
view arnold's profile

I can't vote for Ryan, because I can't see Ryan's place. I see his stuff, and his orderly closet (but you need a separate contest for that).

Too bad, because I might have liked it.

And, yes, there is room there to photograph more of the room. Maybe AT will allow substitute photos -- call back Amy.

posted by digger61 on April 8, 2011 at 8:05pm
view digger61's profile

You did a wonderful job. Quite a nice gentleman-ly feel in the whole space. Apartment inspiration for bachelors everywhere.

posted by maraudingcat on April 9, 2011 at 5:20pm
view maraudingcat's profile

Ruthlessly well edited! Every single item works (including the shopping bag). Everything belongs together.

posted by Lilly3 on April 9, 2011 at 10:05pm
view Lilly3's profile

Love the masculine feel of this apartment. Normally, I'm a sucker for color, but all the hues of brown, really make this space warm and inviting. Would love to see the kitchen!

posted by Raaina on April 10, 2011 at 4:04pm
view Raaina's profile

For my money, this is the most sophisticated non-international entry so far. The muted palette and mix of textures creates visual interest without overwhelming such a small space. He's really done an impressive job at making an appealing, inviting home in a tiny space that looks not much bigger than a dorm room -- which is a pretty dificult task. This kind of place is what this contest is all about, in my opinion. I hope Ryan advances to the next round so we can see more photos. Also, I've said this before but I would love to know a little about these people and what they do for a living -- I'm guessing Ryan is some sort of designer.

posted by BrooklynRob on April 10, 2011 at 9:13pm
view BrooklynRob's profile

wow, going thru the photos, I was thinking any minute now I'd see a grinning Ralph Lauren peeping around some cubby with a thumbs up. Overall nice-ish tho - the walls are crying out for some kind of function, since with a space like this that's pretty much all you have, but nice effort...

posted by gigimc on April 11, 2011 at 10:25am
view gigimc's profile

@BrooklynRob.... Ryan is not a designer by profession, but obviously has the talent to do so.
Great photos! Great use of space in this tiny apartment. Kudos to you! The rug is still my fav.... a little of your southern charm flair shining thru.

posted by italirh on April 11, 2011 at 10:58am
view italirh's profile

as someone with a really similar aesthetic I love the mix of clean lines and vintage. I would love to see more!

posted by Leah Moss on April 11, 2011 at 2:26pm
view Leah Moss's profile

Nice place from what I can see of it. I love the vintage feel and cleanliness of it all. A wide angle lens would have helped out to give a better spacial view of the place but the images capture the actual feeling of the space.

Side note: I would love to see this Rustic Leather Messenger Bag in the shot!

posted by Scotty75 on April 12, 2011 at 5:31am
view Scotty75's profile

I think I just fell in love!

posted by preppyinpolo on April 12, 2011 at 9:28pm
view preppyinpolo's profile

Thanks to everyone for the "likes" and the comments, which are all were received. I realize I probably should have included a full shot of the kitchen instead of the second picture. Live and learn, I guess.
@BrooklynRob - I'm not a designer. I just like old things.
Thanks again everyone.
Ryan

posted by RyanZ on April 12, 2011 at 11:07pm
view RyanZ's profile

Love the place and the collections ...wish I could have seen more...can you post more pictures? I would really like to see the vertical placed pictures. I really like this idea and was dissapointed after the blurb about it that there were no pics of it. The pics you have though are so much lovelier than most of contestants. Your friend did a nice job.

posted by OggDefying on April 14, 2011 at 11:22pm
view OggDefying's profile

I like the close ups and textures of your place. I just wish one splash of color could liven up the brown.

posted by Naoki9 on April 15, 2011 at 3:17pm
view Naoki9's profile

I actually like all of the brown, though a pop of blue from an oxford cloth shirt would add nicely to the masculine feel. Fan of the leather, but maybe time to spring for a better footstool/coffeetable? I think I'd like the trunk there better myself, though understand storage is a problem...

posted by elle31 on April 19, 2011 at 8:57am
view elle31's profile

Wish we could have a picture of the kitchen area and how it works with the office area and the main room instead of two pictures of the ottoman/briefcase. But overall I really like it.

posted by spotonriver on April 21, 2011 at 11:51am
view spotonriver's profile

How is it possible this entry made the cut? No offense but these little vignettes just don't tell a story. Sad thing is, it looks like it could be a really attractive place, if only we could see more. DO OVER please.

posted by scandesign on April 22, 2011 at 4:58am
view scandesign's profile

Pictures of stuff, not the apartment. Not a good look.

posted by warlesha21 on April 23, 2011 at 8:03pm
view warlesha21's profile

Yeah, okay, so this entry stresses form over function but so what. If this is what Ryan considers "cool" about his "small home" then it's a valid entry, I guess. According to current guidelines, it is up to the contestant to submit what they think is cool about their space.

This place is everything I look for in a man - masculine, sexy, sophisticated, a bit laid-back, modern but with a vintage soul, neat, and a little wild.

Except it's in the teeny-tiny category. :)

Favorite!

posted by cvgmiami on April 26, 2011 at 6:32pm
view cvgmiami's profile

Forget the kitchen, I would like to see the desk referenced in the space plan. I'm betting that it is an awesome vintage.

posted by Sonje on April 29, 2011 at 1:19am
view Sonje's profile