Claudia's Northern Exposure

Name:

Claudia

Brooklyn, New York

Division:

Teeny-Tiny

Square Feet:

What I Love About My Home

The light and the neighborhood... even though it has northern exposure, the windows are big enough that the place feels light and airy.

Biggest Challenge in Furnishing My Home

Storage. There isn't a single closet in the entire place. It made me re-think and part with about two thirds of my wardrobe. I like that now I have to evaluate every purchase I make to decide if it really is worth the real estate.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (34)

I love this! Where did you get the painting above your sofa?

posted by RebeccaF80 on April 26, 2011 at 10:30am
view RebeccaF80's profile

Love the red tv.

posted by callaloo on April 26, 2011 at 10:25am
view callaloo's profile

Excellent use of 375 square feet.

posted by cvgmiami on April 26, 2011 at 8:53am
view cvgmiami's profile

I agree! Excellent use of space...

posted by teshi on April 26, 2011 at 9:07am
view teshi's profile

Love the use of materials - the light and the space it offers despite size. Eclectic and cozy!

posted by duanne on April 26, 2011 at 10:29am
view duanne's profile

Actually, I don't see any Ikea (furniture) in the livingroom.

posted by greta on April 26, 2011 at 11:12am
view greta's profile

Would rather have had a picture of the kitchen than 2 of the sofa...

posted by saucefiend on April 26, 2011 at 11:13am
view saucefiend's profile

Nice use of the stolmen! I know people have a stigma against ikea, but I have to admit that I am really impressed with that series. Also <3 your red tv, quite perfect for the space.

posted by dirce79 on April 26, 2011 at 11:33am
view dirce79's profile

Brilliant design, clean simple modern.

posted by moddog on April 26, 2011 at 11:42am
view moddog's profile

awww i love ur apt and i especially love sleeping kitty on ur bedroom dresser! adorable!

posted by shannieboop on April 26, 2011 at 11:56am
view shannieboop's profile

Very nice, and I too love the red TV stand. Any info on where you got it?

posted by thehoopiestfrood on April 26, 2011 at 2:15pm
view thehoopiestfrood's profile

Love bookshelves and Barcelona chair. I would like to see the kitchen.

posted by Ofelia on April 26, 2011 at 2:31pm
view Ofelia's profile

A hint of 70s with the chair and tv :)

posted by hotpaprika on April 26, 2011 at 2:37pm
view hotpaprika's profile

Wow! Seems (a bit) unfortunate to divide 375 square feet into two separate rooms, but you've made it look great! And plenty of storage. Very nice.

posted by emmelemm on April 26, 2011 at 4:13pm
view emmelemm's profile

Thanks for your comments, everyone!

RebeccaF80: the painting was a gift from the artist who is a brilliant painter: http://www.artinamericamagazine.com/reviews/ivelisse-jimenez/

thehoopiestfrood: the red tv stand is actually a dyi project I made a long time ago. The base was a chair (paired with the red chair in my bedroom) - they were both found in a thrift store and really beat up so I painted them and used the base of one of them with a plexiglas box as a tv stand.

As for the Ikea furniture - I'm well aware of the stigma associated with Ikea amongst design snobs. I personally find it's a great access to good design for the masses. I love the stolmen system, I think it's one of their best products, it's based on the Vitsoe shelving system designed in the 60s. If I were fortunate enough to afford the real thing, then I would buy it. In my case, the Ikea is second best and it actually holds up well- I have had part of it for almost 10 yrs and added to it when I moved into this apartment. You can't say the same for all their products.

claudia

posted by cj204 on April 26, 2011 at 5:24pm
view cj204's profile

I love your space.
(And I agree with your Ikea comment :) )

posted by pheebs79 on April 26, 2011 at 6:53pm
view pheebs79's profile

Your TV stand is great! It could be a character in a Pixar film.

posted by susan1741 on April 26, 2011 at 8:41pm
view susan1741's profile

I came back for a second look and noticed your "arc"-type lamp in the living room. I love it!

posted by emmelemm on April 26, 2011 at 9:56pm
view emmelemm's profile

Very nice!

Where did you get the bookshelves?

posted by 90125 on April 26, 2011 at 10:26pm
view 90125's profile

can you provide a source for the bed frame?
thnaks.

posted by www_alsh on April 26, 2011 at 11:32pm
view www_alsh's profile

very cool! i love everything about it. great job!

posted by conejitoasesino on April 27, 2011 at 4:49am
view conejitoasesino's profile

i love how clean this space feels. i dont mean "lack of bugs", i mean visually easy =) nice. all the best! (the Prizes for smallcool are quite good eh)

posted by JulianneMay on April 27, 2011 at 5:31am
view JulianneMay's profile

I love that Pixar comment! thanks susan1741. And thank you all for your kind words.

Both bookshelves and bed frame are from DWR. The shelves are the Cubitec modular shelves and the bed is a full size Min Bed.

posted by cj204 on April 27, 2011 at 9:42am
view cj204's profile

where is that dining table from?? so cute!!

posted by joantagorda on April 27, 2011 at 4:24pm
view joantagorda's profile

when i moved into my place a year an a half ago and was trying to figure out what i wanted to do with bed/office space, i was at ikea ready to purchase a version of that floor to ceiling shelving/drawer unit but they were missing a crucial piece...so i held off. i ended up going a different direction: three of the clear cube shelves you have in your living room :) too funny. numerous pieces i love in your place, but particularly the dining table. lovely.
jordan

posted by 3floorsup on April 27, 2011 at 5:55pm
view 3floorsup's profile

Claudia: You deserve to win because you had the biggest challenge of all in my oppinion... You own a lot of books!!! I own many more myself and also have a bigger apartment, but I don't seem to be able to make them look as "light" as you do. Mine make the space too dark and "heavy"...

You're an inspiration! Greetings from Germany!

posted by Miss Cosas on April 27, 2011 at 5:55pm
view Miss Cosas's profile

(BTW: Please keep on ignoring design-snobs - Ikea has the best solutions for book storage and actually many expensive bookshelves by reputed designers are obviously inspired by them...)

posted by Miss Cosas on April 27, 2011 at 5:59pm
view Miss Cosas's profile

Miss Cosas: that is so nice, thanks! those cubitec shelves are perfect for books, especially heavy and tall art books. They don't bend and hold up to 55 lbs (25 kg). Also, being translucent makes them less heavy. I put small spot lights behind the books and they literally glow at night.

joantagorda : Unfortunately, the dining table was a find. It was an old industrial shop table - I stripped it with a sander and let it rust a little before sealing it, the top still needs work.

posted by cj204 on April 27, 2011 at 6:53pm
view cj204's profile

:) love it. thanks.
j.

posted by 3floorsup on April 27, 2011 at 7:16pm
view 3floorsup's profile

wow! from no storage to mega storage. that is talent.

posted by queenyellowsun on April 28, 2011 at 5:24am
view queenyellowsun's profile

Love the passed out cat.

posted by highondesign on April 28, 2011 at 9:28pm
view highondesign's profile

I would have never thought it was 375sf from the photos. Nice job. I'm usually not a fan of red, but I dig how punctuates the living and bedroom areas.

posted by analogdialog on April 30, 2011 at 6:51pm
view analogdialog's profile

I must of missed this entry would of voted Oh yes! Its so nice it put a big smile on my place! Can't believe you have no closets!

posted by keifers on May 6, 2011 at 9:25pm
view keifers's profile

I am moving into a 375 sq ft studio next week and it has no closets, either! Any words of wisdom? Did you just fold everything??? It's absolutely gorgeous. I'm jealous! I want this clean aesthetic that you have going on.

posted by AustinRP on January 17, 2012 at 7:40pm
view AustinRP's profile