Marielle & Simon's Bright and Joyful

Name:

Marielle & Simon

Montreal, Canada

Division:

International

Square Feet:

What I Love About My Home

The open space and the colors. It's nice to have bright an joyful touches when it's all snowy and dark outside.

Biggest Challenge in Furnishing My Home

We don't have a lot of storage but we love going to flea markets and thrift shops to find some new vintage items...

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (29)

Beautiful place, I love the colours, but I especially love the ransom note floorplan - if there was a competition for floorplans you'd surely win!

posted by idontdobeige on April 11, 2011 at 10:16am
view idontdobeige's profile

Oh My!!! Can I come stay with you when I visit Montreal??? So gorgeous, love all the MCM furniture. Plastic fantastic anyone? Seriously I need that baby blue lamp in the forth picture! I hope you win the international and take Canada into the stratus sphere!!

with love from
T.O!!

posted by her_royal_gr8ness on April 11, 2011 at 11:29am
view her_royal_gr8ness's profile

I love the use of yellow and white and of course the floor plan!

posted by Cactina on April 11, 2011 at 11:56am
view Cactina's profile

very bright and happy, lovely place to come home to.

posted by Allegra M on April 11, 2011 at 12:03pm
view Allegra M's profile

Going through these pictures was like opening a surprise bag of goodies! I love the white/yellow dressers, the yellow bike in the corner, the colourful wall shelves, the pilsbury dough boy, the blue lamp, the bikes hanging on the wall, the shelving unit, the drawing of the floor plan and so many other things that I can't even sit here and type them all because it's taking up time that I could be using to go through these pictures again!

posted by pheebs79 on April 11, 2011 at 12:14pm
view pheebs79's profile

I'm smitten by the blue tiles in the bathroom

posted by ec05 on April 11, 2011 at 2:27pm
view ec05's profile

Really cute and fresh. Love the pops of yellow and toys treated as art. Good luck!

posted by robertspeg on April 11, 2011 at 3:56pm
view robertspeg's profile

LOVE this! I think it's my favourite so far! It's so happiness inducing! Good luck!

posted by kristinb1 on April 11, 2011 at 4:57pm
view kristinb1's profile

the plan COULD be useful to those of us interested in seeing how the scenes in the individual photos actually work together as a design.....but this one is pretty much a useless joke

posted by sousa609 on April 11, 2011 at 5:02pm
view sousa609's profile

Ah -- you've got the Yves Christin balloon lamp! How fun!

posted by digger61 on April 11, 2011 at 5:26pm
view digger61's profile

You got my vote!

posted by alllebasii on April 11, 2011 at 7:23pm
view alllebasii's profile

I like it a lot.

posted by reclamationdesign on April 11, 2011 at 8:55pm
view reclamationdesign's profile

Awesome. I love the contrast of high gloss colours and more muted neutrals, and the way the vintage objects feel like part of a fun home rather than a museum of 20th century design.

By contrast to everyone else I dislike the floorplan - it's clever but it's unclear.

posted by Blandwagon on April 11, 2011 at 11:06pm
view Blandwagon's profile

Love your furniture, art, colors but I was really inspired to add to favorites and write a comment because of your clever floorplan! :)

posted by eclectic-chick on April 12, 2011 at 12:30am
view eclectic-chick's profile

I love the couch! Not sure how well it goes with your modern fab style or all the yellow and it kind of reminds me of that Seasame Street game.."Which one doesn't belong" but still...awesome. Also the colors throughout and style are great too.

posted by Tracy333 on April 12, 2011 at 1:22am
view Tracy333's profile

i love all of the colorful touches! And that robin's egg blue lamp is like something out of my dreams!

posted by cookiebreath on April 12, 2011 at 5:07pm
view cookiebreath's profile

What did you use to mount the bikes on the wall? I'm hoping it's something available in Canada, as we share the same nationality. They look great!

posted by beccadanae on April 12, 2011 at 6:19pm
view beccadanae's profile

I love love love the mounts for the bike racks. My BF & I tried that once, and it came flying off the wall. Disaster.......

Love your apartment!

posted by Jayne Elizabeth on April 12, 2011 at 10:20pm
view Jayne Elizabeth's profile

Very cute. Love the mod! I have the dresser in red and a bar in green. Makes me regret that I passed on the nightstands, but I just didn't have the space. :( Love them in yellow!
And love the rest, too!

posted by leftofcentergirl on April 13, 2011 at 5:38pm
view leftofcentergirl's profile

Thanks everyone for the nice comments! Plastic's magic! :)

beccadanae- About the bike racks we bought them in Montreal from a cabinetmaker (L'ARBRE) on St-Laurent Street. They are pretty heavy by themselves (one is made out of ash the other one is oak) and I was afraid they would not support the bikes' weight and would fell off the wall after a while (my walls are hollow). But I was surprised to see they haven't moved a millimeter. They are very functional but at the same time they are nice-looking.

leftofcentergirl- I didn't know they made them in green! And made bars! Must be nice. We also have 2 dressers and a chest of drawers like those in pink and white. They really are fun furniture.

Marielle

posted by Haokan on April 14, 2011 at 9:07am
view Haokan's profile

Love your place xo

posted by quickly mandy on April 15, 2011 at 3:17am
view quickly mandy's profile

I love the pops of colour in your home. So much fun! Where did you get your yellow accented side tables and cabinet?

posted by Pamela L on April 15, 2011 at 5:02pm
view Pamela L's profile

Another apartment from Montreal! Your apartment is so funky and cool! Where did you get the robin's egg pendant light from? It is so adorable! You must tell me!

posted by owlmug on April 15, 2011 at 5:18pm
view owlmug's profile

The floor plan is my favorite and speaks to the persons who love life and that are thankful for what they have.

posted by jamaica2009 on April 17, 2011 at 6:08am
view jamaica2009's profile

@ Pamela L - Thank you for your kind comment! The yellow cabinet and side tables were made in the 60s and 70s by a Canadian company named Treco. They would make furniture in the style of Raymond Loewy. They are kind of easy to find in Canada (at least in Quebec) in MCM and vintage furniture stores.

@ owlmug - Thnanks a lot!
I got the robin's egg lamp years ago in a kind of thrift shop here in Montreal. I've seen a few lamps like this one but never in this great color!

posted by Haokan on April 17, 2011 at 10:46am
view Haokan's profile

I love the yellow.

posted by TaniaTingel on April 20, 2011 at 4:38am
view TaniaTingel's profile

Love your use of color, especially the floating shelves and your floor plan :-)

The only thing not doing it for me is the couch, I think the yellow/white dresser is the hot item and needs something to enhance it.

posted by mauishopgirl on May 2, 2011 at 4:08pm
view mauishopgirl's profile

omg that couch is amaaaazing ! :D

posted by pizzapi on May 7, 2011 at 12:01pm
view pizzapi's profile

I have the same yellow lighted vanity mirror as you :) I was sure mine was the last in the world! Guess not!

posted by Silverfire4200 on April 20, 2012 at 11:52am
view Silverfire4200's profile