Aaron's Distinctive Guest House

Name:

Aaron

Phoenix, Arizona

Division:

Tiny

Square Feet:

What I Love About My Home

I love the fact that even though my guest house is only a little over 400 square feet, I was able to maximize the space into 5 distinct useable areas that really contribute to the design of the space as a whole.

Biggest Challenge in Furnishing My Home

Finding pieces that complemented each other color and design wise.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (53)

@thorndale... I do live here on a daily basis... its actually quite wonderful.

posted by Aaron Kimberlin on April 7, 2011 at 11:22pm
view Aaron Kimberlin's profile

I like the use of space and the textures. I'm going to look past the awful HDR effect of the photos and favorite.

posted by ccahillmn on April 6, 2011 at 10:10pm
view ccahillmn's profile

Others have called this tiny home, "home," and I have seen a variety of interior treatments. This is the best! Aaron has done a masterful job of organizing the compact space, with zones tailored to different activities. He's tied everything together creatively to produce an elegant, modern, serene environment. Great eye, Aaron!

posted by Janet from Phoenix on April 6, 2011 at 9:49am
view Janet from Phoenix's profile

I love the layout and the furniture choices. I wouldn't have picked the green paint color, though. To each their own.

posted by RocketScientist on April 6, 2011 at 8:53pm
view RocketScientist's profile

Definitely a fan of the 5 distinct usable areas. Good job Aaron! As someone who used to live in Phoenix, where is the Phoenix poster from in the 3rd pic and what area of Phoenix is your guest house?

posted by theresaann on April 6, 2011 at 10:23am
view theresaann's profile

LOVE the ceiling! Very creative use of the space, it feels very open.

posted by melbwatson on April 6, 2011 at 11:14am
view melbwatson's profile

Love what you did Aaron. It looks huge!!

posted by valerie lazzell on April 6, 2011 at 1:08pm
view valerie lazzell's profile

Great work Aaron! Way to prove that Phoenix can be both small and cool!

posted by Yuri Artibise on April 6, 2011 at 1:34pm
view Yuri Artibise's profile

Your guest house is more luxurious than my apartment! The colors are all very earthy and muted. I'd like to see an element that would brighten things up. Cheerier curtains, different paint color, or perhaps some natural sunlight? Its a tough call, because everything looks so cohesive. Its just a bit dark for my taste.

posted by StudioStarter on April 6, 2011 at 2:50pm
view StudioStarter's profile

this space is so far from tiny....at least u seem to have made it look that way.......the retro color scheme is inviting...i feel like alice should be popping out of the kitchen any second now.....furniture looks comfortable and tasteful...and yes that ceiling is beyond....bravo

posted by tdawg on April 6, 2011 at 3:04pm
view tdawg's profile

I like this home (especially the tv cart,love!) but the photography is horrific. I'm not sure what kind of faux-hdr/high contrast/high clarity filter was applied but it makes my brain bleed.

posted by Julia MN on April 6, 2011 at 3:38pm
view Julia MN's profile

Like this alot. I am curious how you cool the space with out insultation in those rafters.

posted by onexnwykr on April 6, 2011 at 5:19pm
view onexnwykr's profile

At first, I thought, oh, he only showed shots from different vantage points of two rooms (living/kitchen). Then I realized, the sleeping area is tucked behind the couch (pic #1). Brilliant, you've made your space look huge and it is completely open. Very well thought out.

Not really a fan of the chairs on the wall trend but to each his own :-)

posted by mauishopgirl on April 6, 2011 at 5:30pm
view mauishopgirl's profile

Wow, can I rent this place when you're done??

posted by happyleaf on April 6, 2011 at 6:02pm
view happyleaf's profile

The idea is great but to me it feels very unfinished ... like it needs more unity, somehow. Personally, I would work with colours to make each area "completed". To me, it is an awesome project that has not quite reached its full potential yet.

posted by CanadianMango on April 6, 2011 at 6:48pm
view CanadianMango's profile

Fabulous! I would never have guessed it was Phoenix! What area of Phoenix are you in?

posted by allysonelizabeth on April 6, 2011 at 7:06pm
view allysonelizabeth's profile

@allysonelizabeth and @theresaann ... the location is in Willo Historic Neighborhood and the Phoenix poster is by a wonderful graphic designer named Jason Hill

posted by Aaron Kimberlin on April 6, 2011 at 8:20pm

@TheoJ, I am a tennant of the guest house the owner rents out. Thanks for your comment.

posted by Aaron Kimberlin on April 6, 2011 at 8:35pm

@onexnwyrkr, there is 4 inches of spray insulation foam above the rafters, then it hits the roofline. Thanks for the comment!

posted by Aaron Kimberlin on April 6, 2011 at 8:36pm

I love the green. Very cool, serene and soothing!

posted by Mavesse on April 6, 2011 at 9:06pm
view Mavesse's profile

@RocketScientist & @Mavesse.. it's hard to tell, but it's actually a muted light blue

posted by Aaron Kimberlin on April 6, 2011 at 9:12pm

If all your guests are men, this man cave does the trick!

posted by FengShuiByFishgirl on April 6, 2011 at 10:23pm
view FengShuiByFishgirl's profile

@FengShuiByFishgirl, it so easy a caveman could do it.

posted by Aaron Kimberlin on April 6, 2011 at 11:39pm

I like what you have done here. However, the photos are using some sort of fish eye effect. That makes it hard to do really get a good perspective.

posted by JamesG on April 7, 2011 at 3:12am
view JamesG's profile

Aaron, this is very nice, but something odd happened to your color. I first thought it was a very old magazine picture. It isn't, is it? Very well supplied guest space.

posted by Kate (NC) on April 7, 2011 at 6:29am
view Kate (NC)'s profile

I just want to go out right now and get some of those floor tiles and do my whole house with them...right now, don't care it's 9pm and I'm in Qld Australia.... ok maybe Ineed to rethink the right now....:)

posted by Fwuffy on April 7, 2011 at 7:03am
view Fwuffy's profile

Love it!

Especially that there's a "library."

posted by babbling on April 7, 2011 at 9:30am
view babbling's profile

LOVE the book case! Where's it from?

posted by ac0721 on April 7, 2011 at 12:29pm
view ac0721's profile

I want those floor tiles. I'm a tile junkie haha

posted by LauraInCancun on April 7, 2011 at 12:50pm
view LauraInCancun's profile

The place is nice.
I guess what some of us are complaining about are the HDR photos, that are becoming increasingly popular in real estate, particularly on the west coast.
I personally can't stand them.

posted by vinpao on April 7, 2011 at 1:52pm
view vinpao's profile

@Roozter and @ac0721.... the divder is actually from an old architecture studio (they used it for their library). It's on caster wheels so the divider is movable.

posted by Aaron Kimberlin on April 7, 2011 at 11:24pm

The shelf/room divider is a "die for". What is the source?
Wpi;d like to see more color correct photos.
Nice job!

posted by Roozter on April 7, 2011 at 3:50pm
view Roozter's profile

I like this place, but I thought the rules stated "The home must be lived in by the contest applicant"? Just wondering...

posted by divellent on April 8, 2011 at 12:17pm
view divellent's profile

I don't like the colors of this home at all. It is hard to look at, so I can't imagine trying to live in it. It feels like your trapped in a can of green paint. I think it's a green paint, maybe a taupe. Don't know.
I like the concept very much.

posted by raylene on April 8, 2011 at 2:57pm
view raylene's profile

agree about the colors, remind me of doctor's office c. 1969

posted by ec05 on April 8, 2011 at 4:39pm
view ec05's profile

I like your place a lot!

posted by Adam Pogue on April 8, 2011 at 7:30pm
view Adam Pogue's profile

Clever, creative, and unique use of space.

posted by JustGettingIdeas on April 9, 2011 at 12:49pm
view JustGettingIdeas's profile

Love the slate floors and art work

posted by buerre brioche on April 9, 2011 at 3:07pm
view buerre brioche's profile

Floors are natural slate -- originally from China? (Some have Chinese characters written on them.) The slate is quite beautiful, a blend of cool gray and warmer tones, with an occasional sparkle.

posted by Janet from Phoenix on April 9, 2011 at 3:12pm
view Janet from Phoenix's profile

Oh, I didn't realize it was light blue. I guess the first photo with the lamp light illustrates that a bit more.

That is a huge improvement over the light green look that the photos have.

posted by RocketScientist on April 9, 2011 at 4:00pm
view RocketScientist's profile

I am very envious of your kitchen. What a good job.

posted by Terry3 on April 9, 2011 at 9:01pm
view Terry3's profile

I like to see a natural light source. Feels too much like a [man] cave.

posted by scoutandboo on April 9, 2011 at 9:34pm
view scoutandboo's profile

I agree with Raylene. I love everything...but the colour! It would have been nice to see the ceiling and the walls differentiated...perhaps this was done to make it look bigger? Would be lovely to see this place photographed under natural light conditions!! I think the lighting probably does not do this place justice........

posted by llmademoiselle on April 10, 2011 at 2:26pm
view llmademoiselle's profile

This looks like a very cozy place and is well laid out. But the photos are distracting. Instead of HDR, the energy would have been better spent on removing all the lens distortion.

posted by LoriHeddingerPhotography on April 10, 2011 at 8:00pm
view LoriHeddingerPhotography's profile

Well done! So organized and uncluttered! You make your small space seem spacious!

posted by eileen marie on April 10, 2011 at 11:06pm
view eileen marie's profile

This is a great guest house. I would love to rent this place.

posted by Cameron(House Sale) on April 11, 2011 at 9:48pm
view Cameron(House Sale)'s profile

I love it! I could live here!

posted by sapho on April 12, 2011 at 7:39am
view sapho's profile

love your use of space!

posted by kelly beth on April 13, 2011 at 1:50pm
view kelly beth's profile

I don't consider this a fair entry, it is all computer generated. What we can do in our mind is quite different then what can be done with real life limitations.

posted by reddslavens on April 13, 2011 at 8:06pm
view reddslavens's profile

Love the texture the ceiling gives to the space. I really like that shelf on casters — good to see none of your divider solutions involved the all-too-common Ikea Expedit bookcase. Is that webbed artwork chalkboard art?

posted by analogdialog on April 22, 2011 at 7:22pm
view analogdialog's profile

Rad space - that room divider is fantastic - I did a double sided bookshelf in my apartment but my DIY of painting cheap pine board is like a pale imitation.

I actually like the High-Def look - what's this HDR folks are mentioning? How does it work?

posted by Dave2 on April 22, 2011 at 7:26pm
view Dave2's profile

So airy and interesting! And no adobe, I would never have guessed this as Phoenix. Great, clean space and really inviting.

If it was me, I'd have a sleeper couch but I find the bed space very creative too.

Anyway, favorite!

posted by PattyD on April 24, 2011 at 2:49am
view PattyD's profile

Love the tile floors and the wall color.. and love the rustic antique the television is on. It seems to keep it from looking overly modern and gives it a cozy farmhouse feel!

posted by Ciao_Kristin on May 2, 2011 at 1:53pm
view Ciao_Kristin's profile