Kiley's "The Bramble"

Name:

Kiley

Cape Cod, Massachusetts

Division:

Teeny-Tiny

Square Feet:

What I Love About My Home

I love that my cottage -- known by friends as The Bramble -- is tucked into a wooded pondside neighborhood on one of the most scenic routes in America. I moved back to Cape Cod five months ago after seven years in NYC, so I'm comfortable with teeny tiny, but I love that I have a yard and see trees from every window. I also got lucky with the dark hardwood floors, high ceilings, and skylights.

Biggest Challenge in Furnishing My Home

The challenges are the fun part! Having zero budget is tricky. I left NYC with a lot of books and kitchenware, but not much more furniture than a couple of Craigslist finds. I managed to furnish The Bramble with some beautiful family and thrifted pieces, with the exception of one trip to IKEA. I dabble in DIY, but am super impatient. Of course, the size is tough to work around, but I chose small scale furniture to create distinct, functional spaces. I am a compulsive entertainer, so it's important to me to make that work. This place changes on a daily basis!

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (73)

Love it. Charming space. And another vote for an exterior view.

posted by missbrown2you on April 13, 2011 at 7:57pm
view missbrown2you's profile

I was sold on the first photo...
Very interesting and unique arrangements. I like it lots.

posted by Otilly on April 13, 2011 at 9:05am
view Otilly's profile

@omoriala: Believe it or not, it was $20 at IKEA!
@eco5: That's my favorite part, too.

posted by kiley donovan on April 13, 2011 at 5:49pm
view kiley donovan's profile

Kiley, as a fellow Cape Codder, you have greatly inspired me. And yes, I'd love to see more of this house.

posted by Trilobyte on April 13, 2011 at 5:50pm
view Trilobyte's profile

Kiley this is awesome, I hope I get to see it this summer! I hope my vote helps

-Jack

posted by jaitken14 on April 13, 2011 at 3:04pm
view jaitken14's profile

I want to see the exterior!

posted by FrontPorchPirate on April 13, 2011 at 8:56am
view FrontPorchPirate's profile

Quite a few interesting pieces of furniture you have got there!

I particularly like the two sofas, the chest of drawers by the table, the chair beside the chest of drawers, the chair in the bedroom
(any info about all these pieces would be much appreciated!).

And I like the overall composition.
Well done!

posted by diridi on April 13, 2011 at 9:54am
view diridi's profile

The thoughtful mix of old & new makes The Bramble so inviting! <3

posted by L.Michelle on April 13, 2011 at 10:01am
view L.Michelle's profile

I have got to see this in person!

posted by Jill Gibson on April 13, 2011 at 10:08am
view Jill Gibson's profile

What a beautiful home you have, my dear.

posted by Deebs on April 13, 2011 at 10:14am
view Deebs's profile

I wish you would come and help me with my place.

posted by valentino on April 13, 2011 at 10:37am
view valentino's profile

What a talented grand daughter! Proud of you.

posted by Gram Judy on April 13, 2011 at 10:43am
view Gram Judy's profile

Love the name, love the decorating, love the whole write up about such a precious place!! Good luck!!

posted by Ellen Heher on April 13, 2011 at 11:09am
view Ellen Heher's profile

love it! I want to see more

posted by ell.uu on April 13, 2011 at 12:59pm
view ell.uu's profile

This is gorgeous! The contest is really delivering this year....

posted by Juliet___ on April 13, 2011 at 12:59pm
view Juliet___'s profile

And the light on the bedroom dresser is amazing! Any information?

posted by Juliet___ on April 13, 2011 at 1:01pm
view Juliet___'s profile

Tons of personality on a small space. I live in the tropical version of The Bramble (a cottage on the Miami River surrounded by coconut trees). Maybe we can swap once a year? Just not in the winter. :)

posted by cvgmiami on April 13, 2011 at 2:02pm
view cvgmiami's profile

I love the muted gold upholstery on the one chair, and the cornflower blue chest behind it. Such a nice space!

posted by DCGirl33 on April 13, 2011 at 4:20pm
view DCGirl33's profile

Thanks everyone for your great comments!
@FrontPorchPirate: I just got deck furniture and the flowers are starting to bloom. I'm so excited for my first spring at The Bramble.
@diridi: The two sofas are actually just one sofa -- the orange velvet one came from CL. When I picked it up I asked where the seller got it and he explained that for extra cash he cleans out funeral parlors and this was one of his take aways; explains why it was in such good condition. What you might be seeing is a low club chair, also with cane siding, which I salvaged from a property my dad was cleaning out. I reupholstered the seat and polished the wood and it's one of my favorite chairs. The chest of drawers was an estate sale find by my aunt. The gothic looking chair beside the chest of drawers was my great grandmother's piano playing seat; it's surprisingly comfortable for looking like a torture device. The round chair in the bedroom was another CL find from Crown Heights, BK. totally worth the rainy cab ride home with the trunk open.
@valentino: I would love to help.
@Juliet: That lamp is actually from a dollar store in Park Slope Brooklyn, where I used to live! I couldn't believe it either when I found it!
and @cvgmiami: I need to see pics of this tropical Bramble! and yes, a swap sounds amazing on this rainy New England day...

Thanks again, you guys!

posted by kiley donovan on April 13, 2011 at 4:22pm

It's beautiful! It looks lived in, realistic and not overly styled. Very personal and creative. I'd love to see exterior pictures!

posted by Elissa-D on April 13, 2011 at 4:23pm
view Elissa-D's profile

Where is the grey rug from in the living room?

posted by omoriala on April 13, 2011 at 4:34pm
view omoriala's profile

great job. just enough to make it homey and comfortable without being overdone.

posted by imsovintage/ Laura Walker on April 13, 2011 at 4:34pm
view imsovintage/ Laura Walker's profile

I like the pictures but I love the fact your grandmother posted and that your couch is from a funeral parlor!

posted by ec05 on April 13, 2011 at 4:36pm
view ec05's profile

House tour please!! Would love to see the outside.

posted by Kit_Kat on April 13, 2011 at 4:40pm
view Kit_Kat's profile

I really love your eclectic home. I agree with previous posts - the way you've mixed old and new works really well; it looks like a real, lived-in home not contrived like so many of the other entries. I would love to see more photos, I feel like these are just a glimpse and they leaving me wanting more!!! I could keep raving on....

posted by A Labour of Love on April 13, 2011 at 5:48pm
view A Labour of Love's profile

you have done a good job of keeping a small space uncluttered but interesting -
the storage ladder is inspirational!

posted by Tea Party Friend on April 13, 2011 at 5:54pm
view Tea Party Friend's profile

Love the house! Quick question... did you buy the desk as-is or did you paint it?! My husband has the exact same one, but the steel is a drab blue and the top is dark wood. Our color scheme is very similar to yours and I would love to refinish the desk!

posted by nereik on April 13, 2011 at 6:36pm
view nereik's profile

Uh oh! I just submitted for this contest, and I already see my submission won't be accepted with places like yours! Beautiful! It is inspiring me to inject some "old" pieces into my home.

posted by Melissa the Canadian on April 13, 2011 at 7:16pm
view Melissa the Canadian's profile

quite lovely

posted by rlmesq on April 13, 2011 at 7:31pm
view rlmesq's profile

What a great space! I actually have the silver lamp in the fifth picture - I bought mine at a salvation army in Georgia! I covet your desk chair! Only thing that I would change personally is all the small art pieces. I'm more a 1 - 2 large art kind of girl - but that is personal preference. Really neat space!

posted by bzb on April 13, 2011 at 7:31pm
view bzb's profile

Where did you get that large tree/forest print leaning to the left of the first pic. Have to have!

posted by troyce on April 13, 2011 at 8:43pm
view troyce's profile

Kiley, you apartment is awesome! I love it, and I love that Mrs. Heher posted too! Great job!

posted by Caite on April 13, 2011 at 8:50pm
view Caite's profile

I especially like your desk area!

posted by Rae N on April 13, 2011 at 8:50pm
view Rae N's profile

Wow everyone really wants to see my yard! Give it time to green up...

@nereik: The desk was another salvaged find. The top is formica with this fine crosshatch pattern on it. Very cool. The original color is the chartreusey yellow you see on the inside of the pulled-out drawer, and I painted black on the outside. I knew that I'd have a riot of color on the bulletin boards and desktop, so I wanted the base to recede, with the surprise pop of yellow when I open a drawer.

@bzb: That's so funny because this lamp is pretty new! I got at Target about 8 years ago when Isaac Mizrahi had a home line.

@troyce: It's actually a room divider from IKEA. It's hanging from the ceiling to block the side of the refrigerator, which was the first thing you would see when you entered the cottage. It also serves to highlight the high ceiling.

posted by kiley donovan on April 13, 2011 at 9:01pm

Oh Dave, tsk tsk. Traditional clambakes have Kielbasa, not pulled pork, pfft. Silly.

posted by elbebuz on April 14, 2011 at 1:06am
view elbebuz's profile

Genuine. Not over-styled. Just lovely.

posted by ShannonTaylor on April 13, 2011 at 11:42pm
view ShannonTaylor's profile

I have found so many inspirational ideas in this post! Amazing job! I LOVE the painting in the first picture, it's hard to tell, but are they silverbirch trees? Silverbirch are my favourites and remind me so much of the cottage we had growing up, where we spent our summers. LOVE it!

posted by ach on April 13, 2011 at 10:49pm
view ach's profile

I want to visit.. in the night.. while you're sleeping.. mostly unannounced.. wearing a white tuxedo.. pockets of tuxedo filled with pulled pork.. then we'll have a clambake the next morning.

posted by daveFKNsteinberg on April 13, 2011 at 11:22pm
view daveFKNsteinberg's profile

This place is making me want to throw up my hands, quit everything (and give up my apt.) in NYC and just runaway to the Cape. I love the area of the Cape your place is in, so beautiful. Not to mention the cranberry bogs, painfully beautiful Hopper-esque light, and those wild scrubby roses. Can I move in, I'll sleep in a drawer. Or on the beach with the lobsters. The funeral parlor furniture is definitely the kicker. I have the same Ikea rug.This post is like Dada poetry...

posted by elbebuz on April 14, 2011 at 1:14am
view elbebuz's profile

its look awesome and so nice to see you settled in and loving your home..Just when do you find the time..You can stay as long as you want:)

posted by garrettsgirl on April 14, 2011 at 8:04am
view garrettsgirl's profile

Beautiful Kiley! I always see you talking about The Bramble on Facebook-nice to see what it looks like! You definitely have a talent for decorating! Want to come do my house?!? ; )

posted by Katie Ginnetty on April 14, 2011 at 8:40am
view Katie Ginnetty's profile

What was the point of picture #4? A chair and shelf? You could have used that picture to show us the kitchen or bathroom. And the bedroom picture is a waste ... another chair and a footboard.

On a side note, I find it interesting that at least 8 of the comments are from commenters who have only been AT "members" for a day or two.

Sorry, just think this entry is extremely padded.

posted by blackandwhite24 on April 14, 2011 at 9:39am
view blackandwhite24's profile

Love it!!! maybe you can decorate Amaris :D! see you saturday! -Sara!

posted by Sara3271 on April 14, 2011 at 10:18am
view Sara3271's profile

Oh and, blackandwhite24, the point of picture #4 was obviously to show how she used space for kitchenware in her teeny-tiny apartment.
And thank you kiley for introducing me to this site! obsessed!

posted by Sara3271 on April 14, 2011 at 10:24am
view Sara3271's profile

blackandwhite24-- I've been reading AT for years, and did the Spring Cure on my last apartment. And yes, I only opened an account to support my friend 2 days ago. Should I expect a lawsuit or something?

And if you think that the front runners got their 800+ votes by accident, you've obviously not been on the Internet very long.

posted by xteemarie on April 14, 2011 at 11:41am
view xteemarie's profile

Looks like the internet police are on the case. You've been made Kiley. Time to scram the jig is up!

posted by valentino on April 14, 2011 at 12:03pm
view valentino's profile

Love the space. Makes me want to live on the Cape near the water in a small place like yours!

posted by bonphoto on April 14, 2011 at 12:45pm
view bonphoto's profile

I need to see this awesome space in person! Good luck Kiley!

posted by dame de fleur on April 14, 2011 at 1:02pm
view dame de fleur's profile

I love the bedroom picture the best!!
The up-high books and blue vanity make me swoon.

And it's all even better in person!

I mean....Kiley and I are strangers. I just HAPPEN to spend my time roaming the internet looking at the inside of people's homes.....

posted by Holly Erin on April 14, 2011 at 1:24pm
view Holly Erin's profile

I wish I could vote twice for this entry.

posted by Appy on April 14, 2011 at 1:30pm
view Appy's profile

This is a wonderful mix in a peaceful setting that also features intriguing curios. Well done!

Wall paint color, please. Stonington Gray or Harbor Gray from Benjamin Moore? Curious...

posted by Mia G on April 14, 2011 at 1:35pm
view Mia G's profile

Now, now. Let's not have a comment battle on The Bramble's entry page. Blackandwhite24 is right, the shelf and chair photo is lame. But it seems my other pics make up for it.

As for the rest of you people that joined AT just to favorite me: Thanks! And welcome to the community!

@ach: If you mean the room divider, they are screenprinted birches, yes. If you mean the two paintings beside it, I'm not sure. Those paintings were given to me by my aunt who used to own a gallery in Vermont. They're of a rainy day in a city which I think is Paris. Thanks for noticing!
@elbebuz: Do it! Do it!
@MiaG: It's actually Mineral by Martha Stewart (I just call her Martha) throughout the living area and bedroom. If you can tell, the wall behind the coffee cup shelf is a different color (that moves into the kitchen), which is Martha's Morning Fog.

My kitchen isn't photo ready because I just moved in a few months ago!

Thanks again, all! This is fun.

posted by kiley donovan on April 14, 2011 at 2:20pm

Gorgeous Kiley! I -love- it! Can you give me details on the chandelier? I love it so!

Sheila

posted by Halo Hill on April 14, 2011 at 3:38pm
view Halo Hill's profile

Your sense of design is extraordinary!!! Absolutely the nicest, well laid out small space I have seen. In your photo's it does not look cramped in the least.

posted by Ban Clothing on April 14, 2011 at 5:01pm
view Ban Clothing's profile

You've done the almost impossible with your "teeny tiny" space, made every inch count, used only those pieces/colors that you love and made it feel "biggy big"!

posted by Linda Aitken on April 14, 2011 at 5:03pm
view Linda Aitken's profile

Wishing I was in a little bramble cottage by a pond right now...so jealous...

posted by OggDefying on April 14, 2011 at 11:00pm
view OggDefying's profile

Love this! I'm also living on Cape. My apartment is kind of the same story, small area with a lot of salvaged furniture. I don't pull it off as beautifully as you do though. Definitely taking some inspiration from this.

posted by Yuliya on April 15, 2011 at 6:16am
view Yuliya's profile

What a beautiul home you have Kiley! Wish I could see it in person!

posted by Noahsmom2007 on April 15, 2011 at 9:46am
view Noahsmom2007's profile

I like the older chair paired with the modern desk...but is it comfortable? Would also like to see pics of the exterior once spring gets going, I'm enticed with a name like The Bramble...

posted by emilynoelle on April 15, 2011 at 10:46am
view emilynoelle's profile

Wish I could have all of you nice people over for spring cocktails on the deck!

@HaloHill: I'm glad someone finally asked about the chandelier, because I made it! Actually it's an old one from Urban Outfitters(maybe 9 years ago) that I found in my storage when I moved back to the Cape. A lot of the "crystals" (hard plastic) had fallen off so there were all these holes in it. I have been obsessed with Mathieu Challières' Voliere lamp (which Urban has since ripped off, actually) so I got a bunch of craft birds and perched them in the empty spaces.

@emilynoelle: The chair is definitely not comfortable for long hours of working, but it was my late Grandpa's desk chair so I like sitting in it.

posted by kiley donovan on April 15, 2011 at 11:46am

I love that your Gram Judy is posting on AT in support of you :)

posted by FengShuiByFishgirl on April 15, 2011 at 3:40pm
view FengShuiByFishgirl's profile

Hi- What color are your living room walls?

posted by threewindows on April 15, 2011 at 5:54pm
view threewindows's profile

The hand drawn floor plan is charming and after looking at a handful of other entries, it made me smile. ;)

posted by Jen7 on April 16, 2011 at 9:59am
view Jen7's profile

Kiley find me a spot up there and I will!
If you do, I'll bake you pies.

posted by elbebuz on April 17, 2011 at 6:06pm
view elbebuz's profile

love this!
(and we're not related and i'm not new.)

posted by sylph on April 18, 2011 at 12:10pm
view sylph's profile

@threewindows: Mineral by Martha Stewart
@elbebuz: This sounds promising!
@sylph: thanks!

posted by kiley donovan on April 18, 2011 at 6:00pm

This one has my vote. The colors are relaxing and sophisticated and the furniture is placed really well...for entertaining! It's gorgeous.

posted by IreneR on April 18, 2011 at 8:22pm
view IreneR's profile

Just lovely! It's hard to believe you don't have a budget because, though your furniture is obviously older, everything in your house is beautiful. Thank you for limiting your use of Ikea. I get that young kids starting out need a lot of things very quickly and for not a lot of money; who am I to judge? But I do appreciate it when people don't resort to Ikea.

posted by Terry3 on April 20, 2011 at 12:35pm
view Terry3's profile

Oh, I miss the Cape in the spring!

posted by highondesign on April 24, 2011 at 6:54pm
view highondesign's profile

Love your choice of warm gray paint! What's the name?

posted by guffee on April 27, 2011 at 1:56am
view guffee's profile

i've not [YET] been to the cape but this cottage is just what i envision! if this is true, i'll be blissed out when i finally make it. :)

posted by 3floorsup on April 27, 2011 at 7:20pm
view 3floorsup's profile

@guffee: It's Mineral by Martha Stewart. I really wanted Elephant's Ear by Farrow & Ball, so I found a cheaper version.

@3floorsup: It really is charming here! Not everyone has the same eclectic style that I do but there are a lot of cool spots. And you can't beat the light and air in the summertime.

posted by kiley donovan on April 28, 2011 at 12:52pm

I, too, would love to see the exterior. Bet it's super cute!

posted by blondrea on September 22, 2011 at 7:20pm
view blondrea's profile