Joyce's Crafty Side

Name:

joyce

nyc, New York

Division:

Little

Square Feet:

What I Love About My Home

Having moved from my shoe-box sized studio (Small Cool 2009 entry: akaGrace's Efficiency of Mirrors), I appreciate having a kitchen with enough storage for my pots and baking pans. I also have counter space to roll pie dough. Oh, and also a full size refrigerator that keeps ice cream frozen.

Biggest Challenge in Furnishing My Home

The temptation of shiny, new furniture at the shops can be overwhelming. I decided to take my time, use what I have and carefully consider what to bring into the space: What furniture do I really need? What colors would work with the light? Some of the my new pieces are gifts or thrifts. I also tapped into my crafty side, sewing my own curtains and pillow covers, and stretching fabric to make wall decor.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (22)

I love this! Beautiful and cute--very calming colors on the walls. It perfectly matches my style as well.

posted by CellarDoor on April 8, 2011 at 8:30am
view CellarDoor's profile

Very pretty!

posted by lee66 on April 8, 2011 at 9:44am
view lee66's profile

Adorable!

posted by Honore on April 8, 2011 at 10:27am
view Honore's profile

I really like this! Good luck. :)

posted by _kristinb on April 8, 2011 at 10:34am
view _kristinb's profile

Very CUTE! How do you stretch fabric? I love the tree on canvas, I assume this one is stretched fabric?

posted by natalieJ on April 8, 2011 at 10:40am
view natalieJ's profile

I love the painting that's above your dining room table (or seating area..I'm not sure). Where did you get it?

posted by ashleyjwray on April 8, 2011 at 11:01am
view ashleyjwray's profile

Nice and cozy! The Marimekko wall decor in the kitchen - is that stretched fabric?

posted by momnipotent on April 8, 2011 at 11:04am
view momnipotent's profile

I agree with alot of the other reviewers...love the painting (or stretched fabric) over the table of, it looks like a blossom tree...where did you find that? Love it!

posted by Tracy333 on April 8, 2011 at 11:41am
view Tracy333's profile

Looks like Lumimarja by Marimekko, ie snowberry

posted by jaenmn on April 8, 2011 at 12:22pm
view jaenmn's profile

I'm usually not so much about pink, but that bedroom photo is darling!

posted by Carolyn Tedder on April 8, 2011 at 1:43pm
view Carolyn Tedder's profile

Congrats on graduating from "teeny-tiny" to "little". I remember how sweet her former home was. (http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/ny/small-cool-2009/small-cool-2009-aka-graces-efficiency-of-mirrors-teenytiny-division-11-081665) I can see how some of the older items (tree fabric, dresser, mirrors, lamps) are re-used in the new space. The colors are cheerful, from the bedroom to the pillows on the couch. I can't tell in the photos, but I do hope the curtains are a happy yellow as in 2009.

posted by ilonastella on April 8, 2011 at 7:26pm
view ilonastella's profile

I love the bedroom so uncomplicated. The colors are very calming. So sweet!

posted by tacitadeoro on April 8, 2011 at 9:34pm
view tacitadeoro's profile

I really adore those lounge chairs for a patio.

posted by maraudingcat on April 9, 2011 at 5:25pm
view maraudingcat's profile

Such a lovely sense of spare, yet special design. Only thoughtful and meaningful pieces are used. What's not needed is edited out. What's left is a wonderful mix of color, texture, light, and simplicity.

posted by Bryann on April 9, 2011 at 7:12pm
view Bryann's profile

I like how the trunks in your bedroom are smiling.

posted by insomniacbirds on April 10, 2011 at 2:06am
view insomniacbirds's profile

Thanks, everyone, for your support and comments. The stretched fabric over the table (2nd pic) is Marimekko's Lumimarja. Stretcher bars from art supply stores come in various lengths, so it was easy to match the size of the fabric. I used a staple gun to attach the cloth to the frame. The kitchen wall decor is a tea towel on stretchers.

And yes, my curtains are yellow (twin-sized flat sheets, hemmed to skim the floor). I now have 3 sets of windows, so it's extra sunny!

posted by akaGrace on April 11, 2011 at 7:43pm
view akaGrace's profile

Really cute .

posted by kimscollectables on April 13, 2011 at 8:11am
view kimscollectables's profile

The best!

posted by Bhav on April 13, 2011 at 12:34pm
view Bhav's profile

I like the bedroom; it's very beautiful.

posted by olderworker on April 13, 2011 at 9:54pm
view olderworker's profile

So sweet! This is the second time I've seen that beautiful heart print. Who is the artist? Where can I get one?

posted by Lisatex on April 21, 2011 at 1:00am
view Lisatex's profile

The print is called "Get in Here" by Christopher David Ryan. (www.cdryan.com) His designs are pure and clean. I bought the print from his shop, (www.mylittleunderground.net), but it is currently being restocked.

posted by akaGrace on April 23, 2011 at 10:06am
view akaGrace's profile

Pretty! :)

posted by Betsy Olsson on April 24, 2011 at 1:56am
view Betsy Olsson's profile