Michael's Mini Manhattan Home

Name:

Michael

New York, New York

Division:

Teeny-Tiny

Square Feet:

What I Love About My Home

The large windows, dark wood floors, brick wall, fireplace, and high ceilings are no doubt the details that have kept us living in this apartment for nearly five years, not to mention that Central Park is half a block away. We also love that having this small space has forced us to continually streamline our possessions and come up with ways to organize. Our bookcase, which we saved money on by designing and staining ourselves, has reached maximum capacity now that it houses -- in addition to books -- wine, spirits, and our collection of textiles from our travels. We built an industrial shelf unit for the closet in the living room so that it doubles as both storage and an entertainment center, holding not only the TV on a pivoting wall mount but the surround sound receiver and DVD player, our laptops, office supplies, and folding bikes.

Biggest Challenge in Furnishing My Home

The biggest challenge was decorating our apartment so that it is both spacious for when we have dinner and overnight guests, and yet functional for when it is just the two of us. We love cooking for friends, and although it's snug, our little table does fit four people...yes, shocking. Living in Manhattan means frequent visitors, and our sleeper sofa makes sharing our quarters bearable. As for when it is just us, and we want to watch a movie, we can slide our TV out of the closet (behind the living room wingback chair) where it is concealed on a pivoting wall mount.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (162)

Absolutely fabulous, I always loved your apartment... BEST neighbors ever!!!

posted by Ivette from Puerto Rico on April 6, 2011 at 4:44pm
view Ivette from Puerto Rico's profile

lovely

posted by egay on April 6, 2011 at 3:11pm
view egay's profile

PS, some great vintage hardware would look amazing too, but let's not get carried away! :)

posted by azaleasmoke on April 7, 2011 at 2:12pm
view azaleasmoke's profile

THis looks much larger than 397 feet. Why did you include the fourth picture?

posted by sofialaca on April 5, 2011 at 8:19am
view sofialaca's profile

Not my style, but a very cohesive design. I do like the aged feeling of it all.

posted by ccahillmn on April 6, 2011 at 9:10pm
view ccahillmn's profile

Love your textile collection--I want to root through that stack in the bookshelves! Beautiful place overall.

posted by ingridli on April 5, 2011 at 8:30pm
view ingridli's profile

not sure why sofialaca asked WHY the 4th picture was included? it's a nice closeup upi your bedroom. duh!

posted by Coletta (rhymes with velveeta) on April 5, 2011 at 9:03am
view Coletta (rhymes with velveeta)'s profile

winner winner chicken dinner.

posted by pepsin on April 5, 2011 at 11:52am
view pepsin's profile

Love this! So cozy without being too cluttered.

posted by ThePinkSuperhero on April 5, 2011 at 9:34am
view ThePinkSuperhero's profile

So charming. And I appreciate the wide screen is not in view, they so often suck up all the attention in a room.

posted by Allegra M on April 5, 2011 at 10:16am
view Allegra M's profile

Love the brick wall and fireplace. That whole area is beautiful! Just my style.

posted by Tracy333 on April 5, 2011 at 11:09am
view Tracy333's profile

oh my god!!! WANT!!! This years competition is already kicking last years' ass!!!!

posted by azaleasmoke on April 5, 2011 at 11:46am

I love the first four pictures and feel ambivalent about the fifth-- perhaps the kitchen looks better from a different angle? But no matter-- the style throughout the rest makes me very happy.

posted by Juliet___ on April 5, 2011 at 12:04pm
view Juliet___'s profile

sorry, meant the fifth picture (I really have to learn to count!)

posted by sofialaca on April 5, 2011 at 12:16pm
view sofialaca's profile

Yeah, I would have preferred a different picture for the fifth shot -- had plenty -- but I included it so you would know that we did indeed have a kitchen and bathroom. :)

posted by michaelmohrphoto on April 5, 2011 at 12:24pm
view michaelmohrphoto's profile

Love this apartment!

posted by MLCarter on April 5, 2011 at 12:32pm
view MLCarter's profile

Very nice!

posted by Katrin_TakingNotes on April 5, 2011 at 12:33pm
view Katrin_TakingNotes's profile

Fantastic! So much personality.

posted by _kristinb on April 5, 2011 at 12:33pm
view _kristinb's profile

Where did you get the bench in front of the sofa?

posted by MLCarter on April 5, 2011 at 12:33pm
view MLCarter's profile

My wife found the bench at a junk shop in High Falls, NY. I almost vetoed bringing it in the apartment because it was in such bad shape, but we sanded the paint off and stained it, and now we both love it.

posted by michaelmohrphoto on April 5, 2011 at 12:54pm

I am glad that she won the debate! It is perfect for the space (not too wide) - I would love to find something like that for our tiny living room. Thanks!

posted by MLCarter on April 5, 2011 at 1:00pm
view MLCarter's profile

I never thought I'd say this, but the art hung up to the ceiling actually works great. I'm a major freak when it comes to hanging art, hating that it is often put up too high, but in this case, it's just perfect ! You broke a major "rule" and did a fantastic job ! (and got my enthousiastic vote)

posted by Anne-Hélène @ Du Sel au Plafond on April 5, 2011 at 1:12pm
view Anne-Hélène @ Du Sel au Plafond's profile

I love the character -- compared to some of the other small spaces, this one feels personal. Also -- love those wingbacks!

posted by DCGirl33 on April 5, 2011 at 2:27pm
view DCGirl33's profile

Wonderful character. The decorating is fabulous!

posted by Sophia1234 on April 5, 2011 at 2:37pm
view Sophia1234's profile

The place is a reflection of you guys and that makes it fab and real!!!

posted by Ivette from Puerto Rico on April 5, 2011 at 4:18pm
view Ivette from Puerto Rico's profile

The brick wall with fireplace is to die for!

posted by RocketScientist on April 5, 2011 at 4:21pm
view RocketScientist's profile

Absolutely perfecto! Agree with Loora - for once, high wall art looks great. Bravo

posted by danikaleighdain on April 5, 2011 at 4:58pm
view danikaleighdain's profile

Your photography is beautiful by the way!

posted by lee66 on April 5, 2011 at 5:35pm
view lee66's profile

Lovely! I would have liked a shot of the cool-sounding storage piece too.

posted by misha bk on April 5, 2011 at 5:11pm
view misha bk's profile

this is EXACTLY how i picture my dream studio/1br apartment... down to the last detail. i love it!

posted by atk on April 5, 2011 at 5:20pm
view atk's profile

Lovely! Its so perfect! Half a block from Central Park..I wonder how much rent is :) I love small space living which is what brought me to this site to begin with....why would anyone need more?

posted by lee66 on April 5, 2011 at 5:32pm
view lee66's profile

House Tour please!

posted by MLCarter on April 5, 2011 at 5:33pm
view MLCarter's profile

I like the 5th pic. It gives perspective and includes both the bathroom and the kitchen, which we otherwise would not have seen. Doesn't look like a whole lot of decor going on in those rooms anyway. Love your apt.!

posted by rexrayfan on April 5, 2011 at 5:35pm
view rexrayfan's profile

I really like the apartment and I wish one of the photos included the industrial shelf with the tv, bike storage etc mentioned in the what you love about your home section.

posted by muttnik on April 5, 2011 at 5:49pm
view muttnik's profile

This home is my favorite so far, and it is going to take something quite spectacular to bump it from that place of honor.

posted by callmecordelia on April 5, 2011 at 5:53pm
view callmecordelia's profile

awesome! i love everything about this space! the "up to the ceiling" art and bookcases, the wintage dresser/night table, The dark vs light colors, & the fact that there is no tv in sight! love this space!

posted by conejitoasesino on April 5, 2011 at 5:58pm
view conejitoasesino's profile

I like the handsome combination of dead white walls & plain fabrics with antique & vintage pieces--pieces that a lot of people would pass by without a thought if they saw them in a shop. And the art wall is proof that if salon-style arrangements could work when a place was new, they'll still work today. Congratulations.

posted by magnaverde on April 5, 2011 at 6:08pm
view magnaverde's profile

I just want it, not cluttered, it looks bigger than 397 ft, those light... I would like to see where de tv is stored.

posted by Ofelia on April 5, 2011 at 6:13pm
view Ofelia's profile

a really beautiful space. just out of curiosity, what are the floor dimensions of your living room and bedroom?

posted by katielou on April 5, 2011 at 6:18pm
view katielou's profile

That place is under 400 sq feet?

posted by ejoyce on April 5, 2011 at 6:33pm
view ejoyce's profile

I absolutely love your flat, and am totally borrowing your photos for my inspiration folder. Love it, totally my style.

posted by finnlay128 on April 5, 2011 at 6:36pm
view finnlay128's profile

I second that comment: Your space is going into my inspiration folder, too! Brilliant job!

posted by Mochatelli on April 5, 2011 at 6:41pm
view Mochatelli's profile

So beautiful!

posted by geckotoes1 on April 5, 2011 at 6:54pm
view geckotoes1's profile

I agree with callmecordelia. I wouldn't want to compete against this place. Also, thanks to pepsin for making me laugh.

posted by ChicagoNancy on April 5, 2011 at 6:55pm
view ChicagoNancy's profile

First thing I saw was deer antler fern on the wall above a fireplace, in a place where many people hang real deer antlers.
That made me laugh.
And earned you a vote. :-)
Because I love when people have a sense of humor, and that it is visible in their living space. Which is, by the way, drop-dead-gorgeous.

posted by Ela&Vuk on April 5, 2011 at 7:05pm
view Ela&Vuk's profile

One reason I like Small Cool is so I can feel superior in my spacious 920 square feet of rowhouse. However, this space makes me wish I could lose the extra 523 square feet that I'm obviously wasting. Great place!

posted by Donald N. on April 5, 2011 at 7:30pm
view Donald N.'s profile

The vertical logs in your fireplace look like they are made out of wax. Very imaginative concept. It could become quite popular, especially with the wine-drinking type of apartment dweller.

posted by potterygringo on April 5, 2011 at 8:23pm
view potterygringo's profile

Your teeny-tiny apartment looks quite large for its size. Similar to dehydtrated food to which you just add water: you just add air to your living space and it comes alive with richness.

posted by anskofguy on April 5, 2011 at 8:43pm
view anskofguy's profile

Love the space. Seems thoughtfully put together yet relaxed. Amazing job :)

posted by Laura220 on April 5, 2011 at 10:11pm
view Laura220's profile

I'm calling it now, this is the winner. At least if people have any sense.

Such a beautiful classic look, but still personal.

posted by LizU on April 5, 2011 at 10:37pm
view LizU's profile

Thanks for the comments, everyone. I particularly appreciate the comments about the apartment having character, because every piece we own has some meaning to us---the piano bench we bought for $10 and recovered with a textile we bought traveling; the headboard made from old siding from my in-law's house (which when we tired of the painted look we recovered with extra material from the living room curtains); the armoire we hauled up from our hometown in Louisiana. We like coming home to a space of memories.

misha bk, muttnik, ofelia -- I regret not posting a picture of the storage piece. I'll try to take a picture this weekend and post it to my personal website: michaelmohrphoto.com -- I'll let you know when it's live.

katielou -- the living room is 10'1'' x 15' and the bedroom is 7'3'' x 15'

rexrayfan -- you are right, there isn't a lot of decor in the bathroom/kitchen. We haven't wanted to do a lot with those since we rent and don't want to invest too much money redoing cabinets and counters, although it would look much nicer. Instead we have added shelving (bathroom) and furniture and hanging pot rack (kitchen) that help make it more functional.

thorndale -- yes the small table in the living room fits four....four very close friends. :) As for the kitchen, we've forgone all appliances other than a coffee maker to maximize counter space, and we repainted an old shallow hutch which provides additional storage and working space.

anskofguy -- It's always fun having people say the apartment feels larger than it is, and you've said it in a way that I'm sure I'll remember. Other than our sofa and bed, we've tried to get pieces that have tall legs to provide an illusion of more space, and we've tried to build up instead of out, hence the wingbacks and the bookcase, which is 8 feet tall and rather shallow.

posted by michaelmohrphoto on April 5, 2011 at 10:43pm

This is truly one of my favorite smallest coolest entries ever - not just this year, but the past years as well. I live in a studio loft apartment and, having never lived in a smaller space before, am both humbled and excited by the prospect of learning how to fully maximize my space. I keep looking at these pictures over and over again to continue getting some ideas on how to set up my apartment. Thanks again for submitting your apartment; it's quite helpful for the likes of me!

posted by naijagirl on April 5, 2011 at 11:07pm
view naijagirl's profile

Everything. Is. Just. So. Right. But not so right to be cold and impersonal. Inspiring.

posted by eclectic-chick on April 5, 2011 at 11:57pm
view eclectic-chick's profile

This place is stunning. You have a really good sense of proportion.

posted by Jerith at Adore and Adorn on April 5, 2011 at 11:58pm
view Jerith at Adore and Adorn's profile

Warm and masculine space. I really like the traditional feel, there isn't enough of it on Apartment Therapy. I have always liked spaces that feel timeless.

posted by Granville on April 6, 2011 at 12:48pm
view Granville's profile

Brilliant - Looks well-lived in, yet clearly there's a strong editing instinct going on. Love that your description includes how you use the space to work with your life.

posted by poetessnyc on April 6, 2011 at 1:24am
view poetessnyc's profile

I love the mismatched art above the sofa - so personal and beautiful and full of character. This place is lovely!

posted by catalina on April 6, 2011 at 1:11pm
view catalina's profile

Bravo!

posted by Terry Clark on April 6, 2011 at 8:31am
view Terry Clark's profile

Nice space--not "overdesigned"

posted by rmin on April 6, 2011 at 8:32am
view rmin's profile

Stunning home, love your beautyfull textiles, the big white sofa and the layout of your pad. Amazing!

posted by nicolezh on April 6, 2011 at 5:02am
view nicolezh's profile

GORGEOUS living room and wonderful, serene bedroom. I also really loved what you wrote. But I would have loved to have seen photos of the closet, kitchen and bathroom.

posted by jandazza on April 6, 2011 at 11:18am
view jandazza's profile

Winner! Contest over

posted by PDTnyc on April 6, 2011 at 2:02pm
view PDTnyc's profile

You know, I totally appreciate the comment about the kitchen and not wanting to invest since you rent. If you plan on staying for a long time though I bet you could make a huge different with paint alone. The cabinets a darker grey with an undertone that plays off the floor and the walls a grey so pale it's almost white. New cheap light fixture if you feel like it and I think that space would be transformed.

posted by azaleasmoke on April 6, 2011 at 12:05pm

This is one of my favorites. So much warmth and character. Just love it.

posted by Kacie3 on April 6, 2011 at 1:01pm
view Kacie3's profile

My favorite so far! Place does have beautiful bones, but the simple, selective decoration makes it a stunner!

posted by shrewt on April 6, 2011 at 1:46pm
view shrewt's profile

What a warm looking apartment! I am awed by how you captured an old-world library feel without it being stuffed or stuffy-looking. I also appreciate that one can't immediately tell how much money you spent on your decor. I am tired of looking at the same old DWR status furniture! Beautiful home!

posted by gravity on April 6, 2011 at 1:51pm
view gravity's profile

Wow! This is absolutely stunning!! I can't believe 2 of you live so comfortably here - amazing! Not to be a broken record, but - it's going into MY inspiration folder, too!!

posted by tenbar on April 6, 2011 at 2:08pm
view tenbar's profile

really nice! well done!

posted by Mosie on April 6, 2011 at 2:20pm
view Mosie's profile

Very nice!

posted by martigny on April 6, 2011 at 2:50pm
view martigny's profile

i love the mix of furnishings...i love love love how high you hung all the pictures on the salon wall....the kilim ....fantastic....it is so un pretentious and still so stylish.....comfortable and amazing all in all.....but i have one question ...when u doing the kitchen?...that one pic u can see into it and it looks like its the next step for you....overall u are my favorite...along with ariel of LA...thank u

posted by tdawg on April 6, 2011 at 3:25pm
view tdawg's profile

Superb place! Definitely a winner in my book.

But I don't think it's under 400 sq. feet. I don't think they measured right.

posted by Lisa (Montreal) on April 6, 2011 at 3:53pm
view Lisa (Montreal)'s profile

Finally, a beautiful space without a trendy poster, cold & hard mid-century modern furniture, junk elevated to iconic status. Loved the mix which sends a message of thoughtful, researched choices.

posted by Alexandrine on April 6, 2011 at 4:26pm
view Alexandrine's profile

Just an amazing example of what Small Cool is all about. So inspirational. Love it.

posted by clogan on April 6, 2011 at 4:48pm
view clogan's profile

Flippin' gorgeous, another one I'm in love with!

posted by The Happy Heathen on April 6, 2011 at 6:20pm
view The Happy Heathen's profile

What a beautifully embellished close space into which two people can bump into each other.
Viva l'amore! You seem to retain in your apartment the physical evidence of rich memories of travel.

posted by LA Woman on April 6, 2011 at 6:41pm
view LA Woman's profile

This is beyond gorgeous! I think my mouth hung open through all the pictures.

posted by sstyson on April 6, 2011 at 7:10pm
view sstyson's profile

Lisa (Montreal) -- I suppose it seems hard to believe but we did in fact measure correctly. My wife even made me re-measure this evening, and we were right the first time around. We decorated specifically so that we would leave open the floor space. And I have to give it to the person who designed the renovation of this brownstone -- there is no wasted space in this apartment. Also, shooting with my 16mm lens allowed me to capture a broader range of field.

posted by michaelmohrphoto on April 6, 2011 at 7:28pm

Azeleasmoke -- We love the idea of repainting the cabinets in the kitchen and will definitely take you up on your advice! You are right, it doesn't cost much, and would make the kitchen space much more interesting. Exciting -- another project :)

posted by michaelmohrphoto on April 6, 2011 at 7:31pm

This is so amazing. So well done for such a small place..and so homey. Perfect! I would've loved to see a photo of the kitchen.

posted by junklover on April 6, 2011 at 8:37pm
view junklover's profile

This is lovely .

posted by kimscollectables on April 6, 2011 at 9:25pm
view kimscollectables's profile

Who taught you how to hang things on the wall? Your dad must be proud! Your place looks amazing from the floors to the ceilings and everything in between.

posted by datoni on April 6, 2011 at 10:20pm
view datoni's profile

WOW! What a fantastic feel and atmosphere your apartment has. Love the first 4 pics.

posted by Sacha on April 7, 2011 at 2:22am
view Sacha's profile

Extra points for the witty staghorn fern.
I love it all.

posted by Kate (NC) on April 7, 2011 at 6:17am
view Kate (NC)'s profile

Cozy. Kind of you to get a sleeper for guest. I bet behind that wall hanging is the fuse box...Im gonna copy that idea.

posted by Leitho on April 7, 2011 at 9:47am
view Leitho's profile

So much character. Very unique.

posted by Tom Nordstrom on April 7, 2011 at 12:35pm
view Tom Nordstrom's profile

Wow Michael, I'm really touched you're considering the project! I hope you'll post/send pictures of the result!

posted by azaleasmoke on April 7, 2011 at 2:11pm

I love love love this apartment,..I'm amazed how small it is but it doesn't look that small. I'm in the process myself of looking for an apt. in South Beach and I've seen some at 500 sq. ft., something impossible for me to even consider so this is amazing at how it looks! All small apartments depend on their own particular layout and this one is really fabulous!!

posted by Sandra Conti on April 7, 2011 at 12:49pm
view Sandra Conti's profile

Wonderful place, I really love it. Just curious, who makes the sleeper sofa? Thanks!

posted by lightsurfer on April 7, 2011 at 3:28pm
view lightsurfer's profile

I love the idea of using a bench as a coffee table. Kudos!

posted by p.o.l. on April 7, 2011 at 3:48pm
view p.o.l.'s profile

Magnificent & classy! Masterful use of very well chosen items.
I think it needs more color but that is my personal preference. Would also like to see more of those textiles & some feminine accents.

posted by Roozter on April 7, 2011 at 5:46pm
view Roozter's profile

With many of the entries, I feel that the homeowners were clever and creative, but I wouldn't feel comfortable. This little place feels like a house. It's very well done. I particularly appreciate the use of furniture as it ought to be used.

posted by Terry3 on April 7, 2011 at 7:08pm
view Terry3's profile

Love it! I'm going to duplicate your awesome picture wall!

posted by jinhacaljean on April 7, 2011 at 10:56pm
view jinhacaljean's profile

I wonder if the bedroom was an original feature or built? If I missed the answer amongst all the comments pardon me. But definitely being added to my inspiration folder.

posted by bekkamero on April 8, 2011 at 12:45am
view bekkamero's profile

So, the winner of this year's small cool entry will be a house decorated as if we live in 1910? I agree with all of you; the photos scream "cozy," "homey," "calm." I'd love to sit on his sofa and read ...Thoreau or something. But this house is so traditional! Yes, white walls, dark wood and red wood go well together; what's news?

posted by sg5785 on April 8, 2011 at 1:43am
view sg5785's profile

This is nothing short of fantastic. Homey yet sophisticated. Bright and sunny but intimate with the darker furnishings. Brilliant.

posted by ZeliNine on April 8, 2011 at 3:08am
view ZeliNine's profile

Oh my word, I love your style!

posted by cheris202 on April 8, 2011 at 10:33am
view cheris202's profile

I'd happily live in your place and you have great style. Truly a welcoming space and clearly everyone else thinks so too!

posted by Cayennegirl on April 8, 2011 at 12:00pm
view Cayennegirl's profile

Wow! This place is lovely. I love the color of the furniture, the wood floors, and the brick wall, they all complement each other very well. My favorite so far. Thank you for sharing.

posted by desertflower on April 8, 2011 at 5:32pm
view desertflower's profile

Crazy crazy cozy! Love the candles in the fireplace and the stunning art wall.

posted by Evil_Sunflower on April 9, 2011 at 7:36am
view Evil_Sunflower's profile

bekkamero -- The wall creating the bedroom is not original; the apartment is in a brownstone on the Upper West Side, renovated from a single-family home into 8 nearly identical, one-bedroom apartments at some point in the 1960's.

Leitho -- you are right about the fuse box...nice guess!

lightsurfer -- The sleeper sofa is the PB Basic from Pottery Barn. After trying sofa beds all over the city, we went with this one because it is super comfortable as a sofa and the most comfortable sofa bed we've ever slept in. Strangely enough Ektorp sofa covers from Ikea fit the sofa perfectly, which means that if wine is spilled on it and the stain won't come out, we can purchase another slipcover for $50—they are that cheap!

posted by michaelmohrphoto on April 9, 2011 at 9:44am

FABULOUS. That third pic is especially gorgeous. Really warm and inviting--and refreshingly free of greatest-hits-of-MCM furniture.

posted by missbrown2you on April 9, 2011 at 9:07pm
view missbrown2you's profile

The lounge gives me the HEEBIE JEEBIES!
This place is horrible. So gloomy, are all you Americans still depressed with the global financial crisis or something? What is wrong with you people? Get up from your computers now,get outside, get some sunshine, fresh air and smile at someone. How can you vote for this rat hole? Its so dark and sad? Thank goodness they opened the curtains to photograph it! GLOOMY GLOOMY GLOOMY GLOOMY GLOOMY GLOOMY GLOOMY

posted by kitteh on April 10, 2011 at 9:06pm
view kitteh's profile

Hey Kitteh, this is someone's home. What is wrong with YOU? Man, even if you don't like it have some f-ing tact.

posted by azaleasmoke on April 11, 2011 at 11:11am

I've looked a lot of entries today, yet this is the only one I've commented on. You know what that means... I LOVE IT! It has style, organization, interest, character, function... my vote :) I just dig it. Great job & good luck in the contest.

posted by Ty.M4change on April 12, 2011 at 1:43am
view Ty.M4change's profile

well said azaleasmoke.

i've got my own apt in the contest (in tiny), but i still had to vote for ya. i think you're place is fantastic. well done.

posted by 3floorsup on April 12, 2011 at 7:42pm
view 3floorsup's profile

OK it's time: I have viewed this entry daily since it was added to the contest. I still cannot believe it is winning. I'm honestly shocked at the lack of criticism. While I think it is well-decorated according to Michael's 'style' I just can't bring myself to like this at all. It is so...monochomatic and dull.

posted by ohkatie on April 13, 2011 at 1:07am
view ohkatie's profile

I love it! It's classic and comfortable and I love that you managed to hide the TV even in such a tiny place. House Tour, please!

posted by FrontPorchPirate on April 13, 2011 at 9:59am
view FrontPorchPirate's profile

I can't believe how much open floor space you were able to retain. It makes the place feel downright large. That bench is genius. Gorgeous job.

posted by Allie J on April 13, 2011 at 11:12am
view Allie J's profile

I absolutely love this layout and interior design. It looks so much bigger than it really is and it has gorgeous old world style. I especially like how the natural light is used to create so much dimension.

posted by Miko Love on April 13, 2011 at 1:50pm
view Miko Love's profile

I pretend live here.

posted by betty33 on April 13, 2011 at 9:39pm
view betty33's profile

hey michael. i wrote this on my entry and realized you likely wouldn't see it, so i'm re-posting it here. :)

first, totally impressed you found me. :)

i realized our living room dimensions are not off that much from one another but we have our rooms set up in 'opposite ways'... my couch under the windows/shorter wall; you two have it on the corresponding wall. i think it's interesting to see the different effect this has. both options feel really comfortable to me + it's a good reminder if i get the "move furniture around" bug. i think we have a similar side table. different aesthetics, but there are definite common strands!

you two are still kicking bootie! way to go...

posted by 3floorsup on April 13, 2011 at 11:30pm
view 3floorsup's profile

Michael,
Terrific space. I was the small cool Midwest winner in 2008 (or 2007, maybe). At any rate, it was prior to the teeny tiny category which is my fav.
You rocked it. Efficient, elegant, original, liveable and inspirational.
I love the previous comment from the 900SF admirer that respected your choices.
What I find about living small, are some of the bonuses that the rest of the world may never discover living in their large formats...you never lose your keys, less means more in the form of great dinners out (and "in"- in many cases), great frequency of travel, less excessive-ness and potentially cultural enlightment. It seems when you free yourself from yards, housework, visitors (one of the other benefits of living small cool...mothers and nephews have to sleep on the floor or book a hotel!) you gain time, income and general mental clarity.

All that being said, I am trying to relocate to the city. GET OUT OF MY APARTMENT. I want it. NOW.

Again, just great. Kudos to you and the Mrs.
Glad you opted to participate. The commenting alone is a part time job.
Good luck.
Suzi West
Collier West

posted by suziwest7 on April 14, 2011 at 12:31am
view suziwest7's profile

Beautiful and serene! Love it.

posted by estrellitas on April 14, 2011 at 2:17pm
view estrellitas's profile

WOW...I want to emulate your style. It seems like you've struck the perfect balance of musum like beaty with the comfort of a lived in home. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G

posted by OggDefying on April 14, 2011 at 11:40pm
view OggDefying's profile

winner

posted by Sylvia K on April 15, 2011 at 8:38am
view Sylvia K's profile

is there a picture of the "industrial shelf unit for the closet in the living room..." ?

posted by VLucius on April 15, 2011 at 10:44am
view VLucius's profile

I'm in love with the first photo. LOVE, I tell you :)

posted by Twanna A Hines on April 15, 2011 at 11:40pm
view Twanna A Hines's profile

Sometimes I wonder how or why the "clean lines" crowd think they own apartmenttherapy.com? I'm a fan. I like MCM. However, good design comes in many forms. I think we've all seen examples of mid/mod spaces that are crowded and poorly executed, as well as antique-riddled homes that look like an estate sale in the making.
This place is neither crowded nor poorly executed and is a perfect example of a well curated but comfortable home.
Expand your horizons, haters.

posted by rcpatten on April 16, 2011 at 1:40am
view rcpatten's profile

I like it. I'm actually more of a modernist, but I can imagine visiting this apartment and feeling very comfortable....and isn't that what it's all about - feeling AT HOME!!

posted by dillonliving on April 16, 2011 at 9:21pm
view dillonliving's profile

Very cozy. A little too historic for my tastes, but a nice place to relax I'm sure.

posted by the copland on April 17, 2011 at 3:45pm
view the copland's profile

congrats on hitting 1,000!!

posted by bnb01 on April 17, 2011 at 11:16pm
view bnb01's profile

ha! hilarious! i'm on a pal's computer checking the stats + i wrote the last comment without realizing i was signed into her account. let's try that again....

CONGRATS on hitting 1000!
jordan

posted by 3floorsup on April 17, 2011 at 11:19pm
view 3floorsup's profile

This place, like many of the other small cool 'favourites' has good bones - high ceilings and nice wood floors.

posted by pearmelon on April 18, 2011 at 4:51am
view pearmelon's profile

lovely place

posted by katychoi on April 18, 2011 at 1:00pm
view katychoi's profile

beautiful and you took advantage of the good bones worked with it not against it.

posted by beernutt on April 18, 2011 at 1:38pm
view beernutt's profile

I registered just so I could comment on your home. Generally, I feel that dark furniture adds a "weighty" feeling to a place. But you did a great job of keeping your apartment light and airy with the white walls, bedding, and sofa.

I love how you tastefully brought the outdoors, in with the strategically placed and appropriately sized plants, and images of nature.

Well done. I want to hang out on your sofa and read.

posted by mellowhome on April 18, 2011 at 9:21pm
view mellowhome's profile

Oh, although I believe your measurements, your place doesn't look less 400 sq ft.

posted by mellowhome on April 18, 2011 at 9:31pm
view mellowhome's profile

ATTENTION APARTMENT THERAPY: I smell a "Small Cool Apartment Swap" website coming!!!

posted by cvgmiami on April 19, 2011 at 2:23pm
view cvgmiami's profile

azaleasmoke, I can definitely send you some photographs, once we have done the kitchen. We are going to be contacting our landlord soon to see if he will approve the painting of the cabinets/walls. Thanks again for the idea.

posted by michaelmohrphoto on April 19, 2011 at 8:28pm

Thanks ALL for your comments. We have been in this apartment for five years now, and we recently debated moving so that we could have outdoor space. When it came down to it, we simply could not move. We discovered that we would miss this little place---despite its teeny tiny dimensions, it's become home. We realize we like having everything in such close proximity, and don't see a need for more space, or more possessions, for that matter. Now, your comments have made us value our space all the more. Thank you.

posted by michaelmohrphoto on April 19, 2011 at 8:33pm

bettty33 -- I do live here. :)

posted by michaelmohrphoto on April 19, 2011 at 8:35pm

suziwest7 Hi! I agree with you wholeheartedly about living small. We love that we have kept our living expenses relatively low for living in NYC. We do appreciate that living small forces us to get out a lot, but we also really love staying home and having friends over or relaxing on the sofa reading. In some ways, we are home bodies in NYC. :) And yes, you are right, commenting is a part-time job---we were out of town for just a few days, and we are now behind on responding!

posted by michaelmohrphoto on April 19, 2011 at 8:38pm

mellowhome --- thanks for registering just to comment. A few people have commented that we have stark white walls and dark furniture. It's funny, because it's never occurred to us that it is an uncommonly "dark" design style. As a photographer, I need a lot of natural light and bright space to keep me happy during those winter months, but we love rich wood furniture, so somehow this is the design we leaned towards. And thanks for noticing the plants and nature photos---we love nature, and the only thing we find missing in this apartment is a small outdoor space.

posted by michaelmohrphoto on April 19, 2011 at 8:47pm

You must move out TODAY, ok tomorrow. I want to live in this apartment. It's beautiful!

posted by Lisawc15 on April 20, 2011 at 7:44pm
view Lisawc15's profile

Your apartment is gorgeous! Shannon it looks like you took a little of your home from Ponchatoula and put it in NYC. As for an outdoor space you do have City Park! It gives a whole new meaning to less is more. I absolutly love the photography arrangement. I wish I had your talent!

posted by mladner on April 21, 2011 at 12:03am
view mladner's profile

VLucius, and others, I finally posted a gallery of additional apartment images to my website. I included a shot that shows the television, and how it pivots in and out of the closet. I really love this aspect of our apt, because I don't like having my entire living space centered around a television. Here is the link: http://michaelmohrphoto.com/Michael_Mohr_Photography/NYC_Apt.html

posted by michaelmohrphoto on April 21, 2011 at 10:15am

Link to more images of my apartment:

http://michaelmohrphoto.com/Michael_Mohr_Photography/NYC_Apt.html

posted by michaelmohrphoto on April 21, 2011 at 10:52am

If I could favorite this apt again, I would. The space is clean, unique and interesting with subtle color throughout. It looks comfortable, unpretentious and inviting. I am thoroughly impressed. Thank you for sharing the additional pics.

posted by MLCarter on April 21, 2011 at 12:07pm
view MLCarter's profile

i don't think there could be a more deserving winner. it looks incredible. nobody else touches you in this competition

posted by lorrinm on April 21, 2011 at 8:37pm
view lorrinm's profile

This is an incredible place. I keep coming back to look at it! I can't believe it's less than 400 sq. ft. Bravo!

posted by lareve on April 22, 2011 at 5:49pm
view lareve's profile

I'm a modernist, but this might be one of my top favorites. The vignettes you've created are great — there's such a rich texture throughout. If I didn't know it was a 397sf NYC apt, I'd have thought the photos were of a New England cottage.

posted by analogdialog on April 22, 2011 at 6:46pm
view analogdialog's profile

I believe that a home is created over time from experiences and your's is.... A Lovely home.... and when you add that... it happens to be...a one-bedroom in a brownstone on the UWS and Central Park is your backyard...a piece of heaven in NYC. Wow!

posted by joyia on April 22, 2011 at 8:58pm
view joyia's profile

Very nice: there is a consistent look and feel to the place that makes it seem bigger than it is.

posted by martigny on April 23, 2011 at 12:59pm
view martigny's profile

"...less means more in the form of great dinners out (and "in"- in many cases), great frequency of travel, less excessive-ness and potentially cultural enlightment..."

suziwest7, thank you for this comment. I'm currently selling my house to move back to the city. I haven't bought something else yet, partly because I'm debating between 1-bedrooms (which would be plenty fine for me but would mean giving up a guestroom/office) and 2-bedrooms (which would be great in terms of more space and probably long-term investment sense, but somewhat of a financial stretch). Your comment may have just sealed the decision. :) Besides the dinners out and travel, it is also just emotionally nice to know there is more income "cushion" for life's curveballs.

PS - Michael, lovely home!

posted by Clairesf on April 23, 2011 at 9:01pm
view Clairesf's profile

Beautiful house, authentic to the owners. Some places are so studiously self-conscious in their effort to follow a specific trend or spotlight the piece of the moment (ie chevron rugs or eames rockers or starburst clocks.) Your home is timeless. You use colour the way a chef uses spices; sparingly...and yet the flavour of them permeates the place. I'm so impressed.

I don't get the comments which start out with "Not my taste..." This isn't a contest to make a home that fits the personal taste of the voters. It's where we vote on good design.

posted by tomgyrll on April 24, 2011 at 10:11pm
view tomgyrll's profile

Please, please, please can I move in?! Beautiful!

posted by NCKat on April 25, 2011 at 9:08am
view NCKat's profile

Beautiful. I need to stop looking at this entry, because it reminds me how much I want to live in a smaller space.

posted by fancy terrible on April 26, 2011 at 12:14am
view fancy terrible's profile

Definitely doesn't belong into teeny-tiny. This apartment size is standard for a family and makes the whole AT contest a farce.

posted by Steve_from_DesignBlog on April 27, 2011 at 3:57pm
view Steve_from_DesignBlog's profile

finally passed that mark! can you believe how neck and neck my division has been....and for a long time. who knows how it will end. you know my hope! :)

turns out we have a mutual friend--francesca campanella. she + i are students together at parsons and we were talking about this contest last week. loved that i knew EXACTLY who she was referring to when she mentioned your apt....and that i could say, "oh ya....i had to vote for that apt." :) small world.

and btw, i love your place as much as when i first saw it. i still find it charming, welcoming, interesting, and smart.

best of luck!

posted by 3floorsup on April 27, 2011 at 5:09pm
view 3floorsup's profile

im laughing at the people who called your place 'gloomy' and such... i think its a man cave; sultry and warm. the use of white gives it a perfect balanced look. and thank god you did not have real antlers above the fireplace... that would have killed it. (pun intended i guess) heh.

posted by queenyellowsun on April 29, 2011 at 3:05am
view queenyellowsun's profile

Love the little dresser beside your bed. Great apartment!

posted by Sara10025 on April 29, 2011 at 10:14am
view Sara10025's profile

didn't expect to be in the finals with you michael! but am thrilled. :) best of luck.
xo
j.

posted by 3floorsup on May 2, 2011 at 12:36pm
view 3floorsup's profile

Good luck Michael! Congrats on making it to the finals. It will be hard competing against your awesome place!

-Alex

posted by Johnnydangerously on May 2, 2011 at 12:50pm
view Johnnydangerously's profile

Congratualations Michael!
Your place is amazing. Your hability to take advantage of the structural personality of the elongated rooms, following the narrow lines with the bench/coffe table, the slim book case against the corner of the brick wall, leaving the fire palce as a focal point with the candles and mirror facing the white wall marvelously arranged with a collection of framed pictures over the white simple lines couch....won my heart!!
Not to mention the light coming in through those tall windows with just a pair of narrow long curtains to frame it without obstructing the light and complementing the warmth of the deep dark wood tones. Gerat use of color, texture and different periods tables, lamps, chairs and benches.

Best of lucks!! Sonia

posted by Sonia G on May 2, 2011 at 8:57pm
view Sonia G's profile

Is anyone incredulous again this year? None of the selections are cool. Kitteh has a point.

There are clearly other nominees whose design sense and chic use of space and materials eclipse this year's selections.

Didn't vote last year for the same version. Pathetic. And no, I'm not speaking of minimalism. Only one of my "how could this one not win" choices is in any way minimalistic. It's just that there are a couple that are drop dead current, bright, chic and very well done compared to this year's finalists.

posted by minimalist1 on May 5, 2011 at 3:59pm
view minimalist1's profile

More photos of the apt can be seen here: http://www.michaelmohrphoto.com/Michael_Mohr_Photography/NYC_Apt.html

posted by michaelmohrphoto on May 6, 2011 at 12:17pm

Love this apartment! Add me to the waiting list of people who'd love to move in! :) Thank you for posting additional pictures on your website - and where did you find those 2 bridge lamps? They're in fantastic condition!

posted by Jen in NJ on May 7, 2011 at 9:32pm
view Jen in NJ's profile

love the pic of your wife on the couch; it's fun seeing that great wall of artwork!

posted by 3floorsup on May 8, 2011 at 12:39am
view 3floorsup's profile

I've been in this apartment and can personally couch for its awesomeness. It's funny because as great as these photos are they somehow do not fully do this space justice. As a former interior designer for a well known international retailer I must confess that my influence is not present in this scrumptious home. Shannon and Michael are a gem stone of a creative force. In fact, let me be the first to ask: When do you all plan to start consulting? I know my clients would love to work with you.

posted by mb6020 on May 9, 2011 at 2:16pm
view mb6020's profile

ahhh!! another neck and neck! either way it goes, it was a good run michael + totally enjoyed "meeting" ya.

posted by 3floorsup on May 9, 2011 at 3:12pm
view 3floorsup's profile

Sigh....this apartment should have won. :(

posted by Reeses902 on May 10, 2011 at 11:21am
view Reeses902's profile

Fantastic place. You gave the finalists a good run!

Darren

posted by D2 pad on May 12, 2011 at 5:07pm
view D2 pad's profile