Carolyn's Sloped Ceilings

Name:

Carolyn

San Francisco, California

Division:

Tiny

Square Feet:

What I Love About My Home

Structurally, I love the skylights that fill the attic apartment with light (as well as give a little more height - I could not stand at the sink without the one in the kitchen) and the nooks and crannies that provide interesting detail as well as storage opportunities. Design-wise, I love that my walls are covered with memories from my travels near and far from home. Finally, the location is perfect for me, providing an easy commute, the ability to walk to places. and most importantly for San Francisco, sun!

Biggest Challenge in Furnishing My Home

No surprise here, the biggest challenge is the sloped ceilings. Not only do I need to think about the footprint of furniture, I also have to think about the height. Fortunately, the engineer in me loves finding solutions for the small space. Sections where I cannot stand or even sit on a chair have been dedicated to storage and the light-colored furniture in the living area blends in with the walls such that the small area feels quite open.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (10)

I was hoping to see a picture of your kitchen sink area. :) Beautiful home!

posted by Tracy333 on April 25, 2011 at 12:10pm
view Tracy333's profile

I <3 your place!!! You tackled the sloped ceiling brilliantly! Like Tracy333, I was hoping to see the sink.

posted by pier723 on April 25, 2011 at 2:47pm
view pier723's profile

what do you have your cds in?

posted by guesswhatwhat on April 25, 2011 at 3:21pm
view guesswhatwhat's profile

Love that little cut out over your sink in the extra picture from your link!

posted by jesskuhrae on April 25, 2011 at 10:18pm
view jesskuhrae's profile

Where did you get the bed? I love it. The whole place feels airy and bright but comfortable too.

posted by Warrior Two on April 25, 2011 at 10:46pm
view Warrior Two's profile

Most unusual! Love the living room and bedroom. Uber cozy and bright.

posted by PattyD on April 25, 2011 at 11:44pm
view PattyD's profile

it looks quite cozy

posted by Mishu Islam on April 26, 2011 at 12:49am
view Mishu Islam's profile

@Warrior Two Re: Bed frame

I purchased a used unfinished pine platform bed frame off craigslist and then stained the wood to match my dressers. The original legs were too short to allow for the under bed storage I need so a very skilled friend of mine made new ones for me. I think it was originally from a local unfinished wood furniture retailer.

Thanks, Carolyn

posted by cdw on April 26, 2011 at 3:47pm
view cdw's profile

very cute!

posted by queenyellowsun on April 28, 2011 at 6:00am
view queenyellowsun's profile

Carolyn-I found someone where I live who will do the same and I'm thrilled, because I love what you did! Thanks for the tip and the inspiration!

posted by Warrior Two on April 30, 2011 at 10:46am
view Warrior Two's profile