Sammi & Dave's Love for Oakland

Name:

Sammi & Dave

Oakland, California

Division:

Little

Square Feet:

What I Love About My Home

We really love the natural light on three sides in our home from the large double-hung windows from when this four-storied brick building was built in 1915. The vintage built-ins in the living room and the kitchen cupboards, along with a former Murphy bed space and a bedroom walk-in closet provide us with tons of storage space - which comes in handy for all our outdoor gear. But the best part of our home is our neighborhood - subway down the street, edge of Oakland's Chinatown, a few blocks from a lake, growing restaurant/bar scene and a mix of folks of all classes, ages, families, and ethnicities. We hella love Oakland.

Biggest Challenge in Furnishing My Home

The single biggest challenge was organizing everything around all of the nook and crannies. The various built-ins are fantastic, but they did mean a large part of our layout was fixed, leaving us to arrange all our furnishings around them. The living room is also far longer than deep, and cut into by three doorways. Subdividing it with a double-sided bookshelf we built allowed us to create separate spaces and some flow (and avoid the bowling alley problem - yep, we've taken our Apartment Therapy - The Book, to heart!)

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (14)

I am so curious about the circle-y bit on the floorplan between the bedroom and closet. What is that?

posted by Julia MN on April 23, 2011 at 5:04am
view Julia MN's profile

Love the Mid Century vibe! very cool

posted by dillonliving on April 22, 2011 at 8:57am
view dillonliving's profile

Is it me or are these getting better every day?

Where to begin... OK, here's what I like about this smalll cool home:

1. Divisions that make for separate spaces but don't chop up the space or interrupt air/light flow.
2. Nice choice of paint colors throughout.
3. That little white table in that tiny nook.
4. THE KITCHEN. An eat-in kitchen?!? I die.
5. The tall curtains that showcase your wonderfully tall ceilings.

Just lovely.

posted by cvgmiami on April 22, 2011 at 9:26am
view cvgmiami's profile

I love this house. I love the way the furniture is laid out, I love the placement of art, and the kitchen is wonderful. I also love that it's in Oakland, where my daughter was born and where I lived for 20 years. I've lived in some great places, but I think Oakland is my favorite.

posted by Kathryn1123 on April 22, 2011 at 11:58am
view Kathryn1123's profile

That book case...what a great ider'er!
Your place is hella rad!

posted by Chilena con Carnage on April 22, 2011 at 1:29pm
view Chilena con Carnage's profile

This home looks cleverly done in several ways.

posted by Miami Elaine on April 22, 2011 at 2:22pm
view Miami Elaine's profile

yes! color! love this apartment, especially the kitchen.

posted by mekleiber on April 22, 2011 at 2:59pm
view mekleiber's profile

Thx Mr. Modtomic - one thing I have found with the McCobb pieces though is that the veneer is rather soft and thin. I swear a sneeze would leave a nick on it. Even with multiple layers of added varnish on the desk, it still peppered with marks since I acquired it.

posted by Dave2 on April 22, 2011 at 8:14pm
view Dave2's profile

I love the vibe. But most of all, I love the layout! The closet space is huge! Storage is definitely the biggest issue in our place, and this seems like it would be super fun to work with! (But we have only one closet, and it's pretty small for two people)

posted by HandmadeKatie on April 23, 2011 at 1:38am
view HandmadeKatie's profile

@mekleiber @cvgmiami - Thx for the props on the color. The space is a rental, so we are grateful that the landlord was open to us repainting the "Landlord White" walls.

posted by Dave2 on April 23, 2011 at 3:36am
view Dave2's profile

Love the kitchen wall color, especially.

posted by sypage on April 23, 2011 at 4:08am
view sypage's profile

@Julia MN - the circle-y bit is a wall-sized rotating door. From what we can tell, it used to be a Murphy bed. The bed is gone and now its a closet.

posted by Dave2 on April 23, 2011 at 2:02pm
view Dave2's profile

SO MUCH LIGHT. very lucky =)

posted by JulianneMay on April 24, 2011 at 4:26pm
view JulianneMay's profile

Amazing walk-in closet! And yeah, what it that circle?

posted by Ofelia on April 25, 2011 at 7:37pm
view Ofelia's profile