Kathryn's Space Savers

Name:

Kathryn

Tucson, Arizona

Division:

Teeny-Tiny

Square Feet:

What I Love About My Home

One of our favorite features of our tiny home is the glass wall. Waking up to the glow of the Tucson sun is a real joy. During the hottest part of the day, we draw the dark curtains, which are actually flat sheets from Ikea, and we are shielded from the heat. Another great aspect of our home is the vertical space we were able to take advantage of. For instance, our usage of a loft bed, tall shelving units, and hanging organizers allows us to make the most of our space and increase our storage.

Biggest Challenge in Furnishing My Home

We are both full time students, so we had some major budgetary concerns. We pride ourselves on our frugal nature and our mastery of thrift store shopping. We scored some major deals--our loft bed cost $30 including the mattress and our awesome tufted chairs were $2 each. Mixing those pieces with some Ikea and other bargain finds, we were able make the most of our "small cool budget."

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (28)

I like your idea with the curtain on the glass wall.
Also I like the way you went vertical on your decoration, it makes your place look bigger.
I'm very jealous about your $2 chairs :)

posted by hotpaprika on April 7, 2011 at 10:56am
view hotpaprika's profile

I LOVE your place and your sense of style. Those $2 tufted chairs are great!

I really like how you have mixed Ikea pieces with thrifty finds. That is exactly what I'm doing with my place. It's a bit easier on the wallet, and I think it makes the place truly mine--with my aesthetic.

Beautiful job here!

posted by Jessica Jeanne on April 7, 2011 at 10:21am
view Jessica Jeanne's profile

I am completely in love with your wall color. Are they the same color through out the entire place? I can't be sure. Lovely!

posted by pier723 on April 7, 2011 at 11:49am
view pier723's profile

I love the idea of putting artwork up in the patio. I have a little area like that but mine just sits empty.

posted by andrea_xtina on April 7, 2011 at 12:44pm
view andrea_xtina's profile

green is very hard to pull off but, you do a stellar job!

posted by jessroo on April 7, 2011 at 1:33pm
view jessroo's profile

Beautiful color selections! Everything flows together so nicely. Those chairs were only $2 each?! Nice! I like the use of symmetry as well.

Love it.

posted by sunnygirlsf on April 7, 2011 at 1:49pm
view sunnygirlsf's profile

Can we pretty please get a more detailed description on how you DIY-ed those curtains? They look fantsatic. IE: what sheets did you use, are they lined, when did you purchase, am I the most annoying person ever...etc.

posted by lefavoritethings on April 7, 2011 at 1:50pm
view lefavoritethings's profile

I want to love this, but I found the photographs a bit confusing... for a small place, I'm having to work to have to visualize where things sit in relation to each other-- does the vacuum live under the bed? Why are there boxes lying around in the first-- and best-- picture (looks a bit careless)? Where do the shelves with the clock go? I would have really liked a kind of panorama of the space so I could get a more coherent picture of it...

posted by Juliet___ on April 7, 2011 at 2:27pm
view Juliet___'s profile

I wish there was a picture of the loft bed to see how you incorporated that. But otherwise. LOVELYYYYY.

posted by thehealthguru on April 7, 2011 at 2:44pm
view thehealthguru's profile

The $2 chairs were found at Goodwill. We could hardly believe our luck when we found them!

@Juliet-- These photos were taken around Christmas, which is why there are boxes in the first picture. We were planning on taking better pictures, but unfortunately my husband has been hospitalized for over a month, so we never got around to taking those pictures. I just had to post what we had :)

@ lefavoritethings-- the curtains are just queen sheets. They are thick enough that we didn't need to buy a liner. We just put up a curtain rod and used curtain rings with clips to attach them. Luckily, they were the perfect length.

posted by Kathryn E on April 7, 2011 at 2:47pm
view Kathryn E's profile

Yeah, the boxes thing is really just nitpicking, that's true. But I'd still love to be able to figure out the bed position...

posted by Juliet___ on April 7, 2011 at 3:26pm
view Juliet___'s profile

Can you tell me where you got your kitchen table chairs? Were they one of the Ikea bargains?

posted by mgziegler on April 7, 2011 at 3:38pm
view mgziegler's profile

I think your apartment looks interesting but the pictures don't give a good idea of the space. I really want to vote for this one but it's just a bit confusing to me. I do like the esthetic and choice of colours though. Well done!

posted by Ninella on April 7, 2011 at 4:03pm
view Ninella's profile

Hope your husband is well soon. Well done on a home you obviously love.

posted by msmezzo on April 7, 2011 at 4:14pm
view msmezzo's profile

I'm sure this place is nice. But I too have a hard time getting the "big picture" of this whole place. I hope that I can see more coherence in these pictures.

posted by California Sleepybears on April 7, 2011 at 4:51pm
view California Sleepybears's profile

@mgziegler-- we got the kitchen chairs at ikea. The covers were originally white and black, but we dyed them to tone down the print.

I definitely agree with the comments that we could have done a better job taking pictures. Like I said earlier, these were just our preliminary shots. We planned on taking better ones, but we were not able to due to my husband's health conditions. Sorry if the pictures disappoint.

posted by Kathryn E on April 7, 2011 at 5:22pm
view Kathryn E's profile

I have that table from Ikea. Isn't it just perfection in a small space??? Clearly, you have GREAT taste. ;-)

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the tufted chairs. Favorite aspect of the entire place.

Plus, all the "kissing" pictures on the walls?? Dreamy, charming, romantic, and artful.

Well done.

posted by Reeses902 on April 7, 2011 at 8:47pm
view Reeses902's profile

I don't post a lot of comments, especially on house tours. But I've got to say you did a really great job and I like your style. Keep up the good work girl !

posted by emycv on April 7, 2011 at 9:09pm
view emycv's profile

Even with the layout, I have no idea what's going on... I like the palette, though, and the triptych.

Note to self: acquire more askers to put random things in.

posted by lepidoptery on April 7, 2011 at 9:30pm
view lepidoptery's profile

You've done a lot on a budget! I like your style.

posted by Mariargentina on April 8, 2011 at 7:40am
view Mariargentina's profile

Actually, I like the photographs a great deal, because they show the different elements of the space, and how even the smallest apartment can be full of detail and colour. I liked the positioning of the mirror, and the use of view lines. What would have resolved it all for me would have been a more specific floorplan, showing the furniture arrangement. I do love the colour palette.

posted by Juliet___ on April 8, 2011 at 11:38am
view Juliet___'s profile

The colors, art, arrangement work perfectly and obviously reflect the love you and your husband have for each other and your tiny apartment. So creative! Love It!

posted by trendyinalbuquerque on April 8, 2011 at 1:54pm
view trendyinalbuquerque's profile

Very stylish, especially on a tight budget! The eye picture is cleverly situated. Love the way you photographed your tiny home.

posted by SMM1 on April 10, 2011 at 6:02pm
view SMM1's profile

Small space or not...you can't even tell. Looks great!

posted by OggDefying on April 14, 2011 at 11:28pm
view OggDefying's profile

I love the tufted chairs.
I didn't understand what was under the loft bed.
I hung a painting outside in my patio and it stays out there even in the rain and it is just fine.

posted by House Voyeur on April 17, 2011 at 10:03pm
view House Voyeur's profile

The color scheme did it for me. Really nice!

posted by Andorsia on April 18, 2011 at 4:22am
view Andorsia's profile

like that picture above the spice racks.

posted by mscopeland on April 18, 2011 at 12:04pm
view mscopeland's profile

I agree I love the photos throughout, adorable! Now I want to have a photo session with my husband and recreate some of your awesome shots!

posted by rachaelk on April 20, 2011 at 1:34am
view rachaelk's profile