Paul's Sleek Studio

Name:

Paul

New York, New York

Division:

Teeny-Tiny

Square Feet:

What I Love About My Home

The high ceilings and large windows create a bright, open environment and contribute to make the main room (242 sq. ft) look larger than it is. The dark hardwood floors, stainless steel appliances and countertops give the place a very sleek, modern feel, which my furniture and décor complement, while also making the space feel warm and inviting. I’m proud that I’ve been able to collect some classic pieces that function well for lounging, sleeping or working, and can also accommodate social gatherings without having to move a single piece of furniture.

Biggest Challenge in Furnishing My Home

Studio living requires that every single thing serves the space well, and this has forced to me to be very selective in what I purchase. Before buying anything, I ask myself, “’What function does this serve?’, ‘How will this improve my space?’ and ‘Will I want to own this 10 years from now?’” One result of looking at everything I own all the time, is that I constantly want to add new elements — yet I realize adding a new item means I have to get rid of something else. My apartment was a featured house tour in January (http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/ny/pauls-perfectly-suited-studiohouse-tour-139847) and since the only additions I’ve made since are the two glass hurricanes in the window to the left of the desk. It took me three days to figure out where to put them and what they would replace!

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (94)

Super

posted by Nisky1 on April 11, 2011 at 3:41pm
view Nisky1's profile

lovely space. I do wonder though what the bathroom looks like.

posted by Muesli on April 11, 2011 at 8:47am
view Muesli's profile

It's really really nice and I like it a lot. But too "new" for me.

posted by reclamationdesign on April 11, 2011 at 8:58pm
view reclamationdesign's profile

Glad you're in the contest. I think you are a sure bet for the winner. Love your place. Good luck!

posted by robertspeg on April 14, 2011 at 11:05pm
view robertspeg's profile

i bookmarked your tour and its still one of my favourite ever house tours. so glad to see your space here!

posted by Aristeia on April 15, 2011 at 8:02pm
view Aristeia's profile

....I meant to ask, where did you get the wonderful pin-striped couch? I don't remember seeing a source in your original tour. Thanks!

posted by jenpuggirl on April 11, 2011 at 7:32pm
view jenpuggirl's profile

very nice; too predicatable

posted by nato on April 12, 2011 at 6:57pm
view nato's profile

Although its not my style I can appreciate all the effort put in this apartment. It's very well organised. I like the mini-chair on the shelf above the couch :)

posted by hotpaprika on April 11, 2011 at 8:44am
view hotpaprika's profile

One of my all-time house-tour faves.

posted by edmarch on April 11, 2011 at 8:33am
view edmarch's profile

I'm in a similar frame of mind as hotpaprika.

Something about this place made me cast my vote, it's totally not my taste, but it looks GREAT! :)

posted by lei on April 11, 2011 at 9:39am
view lei's profile

I like how you have created a kitchen island with the console table and have managed to make quite a nice desk area for yourself. you have my vote!

posted by Scoot on April 11, 2011 at 9:58am
view Scoot's profile

One of my all-time favorite studio apartments! So well done; good luck in the contest Paul!

posted by RMF325 on April 11, 2011 at 10:04am
view RMF325's profile

you're my favorite paul!

posted by aaron thomas on April 11, 2011 at 10:45am
view aaron thomas's profile

I like how you've unified your place with a few colors and great masculine furniture. It feels very open :) The picture of umbrellas over the bed is really nice.

posted by arnold on April 11, 2011 at 11:13am
view arnold's profile

I love this! The color scheme is great and inspires me during my space renovation. I hope you become a finalist.

posted by islek on April 11, 2011 at 11:36am
view islek's profile

While I find the color scheme to be a bit cold, actually, the fact that this space is 350 sq ft is totally mind-boggling to me. This is probably one of the best uses of space in an apartment that I've ever seen. Utterly pristine and impeccably organized, you deserve major recognition for this.

I'm inspired to make better use of my 450 sq ft because of you.

posted by Reeses902 on April 11, 2011 at 11:48am
view Reeses902's profile

Wow. There's nothing about your apartment that I don't love :)

posted by pheebs79 on April 11, 2011 at 12:07pm
view pheebs79's profile

Very sleek and modern.

Rashon aka Mr. Goodwill Hunting

posted by Mr. Goodwill Hunting on April 11, 2011 at 12:13pm
view Mr. Goodwill Hunting's profile

Well done - elegant, chic - stealing the accent column color (with or without the stripe) - have been searching for one like it for months. Love the restraint you have for choosing just the right amount of color and accents for this size space. Fav'd!

posted by citipearl on April 11, 2011 at 1:15pm
view citipearl's profile

Absolutely adore your place; it's perfectly masculine and refined. Love the sofa.

posted by azr2005 on April 11, 2011 at 1:52pm
view azr2005's profile

This is totally my style. I easylly could live there just adding a little femenine touch

posted by Ofelia on April 11, 2011 at 2:12pm
view Ofelia's profile

Fantastic crib by the most stylish man I know - can't wait to crash here!

posted by Lsdecker on April 11, 2011 at 2:20pm
view Lsdecker's profile

I am going to *steal* the bird on a wire artwork in your hall. The entire place is just fantastic!

posted by aliciafig on April 11, 2011 at 2:26pm
view aliciafig's profile

COOL PAD!

posted by DanB2400 on April 11, 2011 at 2:39pm
view DanB2400's profile

Gorgeous use of color and accents to define each area of the small space that seems to feel much bigger!

Can't believe this is in NYC!

posted by orangemen on April 11, 2011 at 3:13pm
view orangemen's profile

Have to agree with some of the above comments- even though this isn't my taste I can't help admire the orgnaization. The place feels so well put together like a show room and doesn't have a small space feel to it. Good job.

posted by bonline on April 11, 2011 at 3:20pm
view bonline's profile

Beautifully done

posted by Poppy29 on April 11, 2011 at 4:01pm
view Poppy29's profile

Where did you get the marble/metal table?

posted by cavedweller on April 11, 2011 at 4:20pm
view cavedweller's profile

I absolutely love your studio. Smart choices in your space. You've got my vote! Good luck!

posted by nycbound on April 11, 2011 at 6:19pm
view nycbound's profile

one of my favorite apartment tours---I refer back to it all the time. Good luck!

posted by jenpuggirl on April 11, 2011 at 7:30pm
view jenpuggirl's profile

Beautifully done. Wouldn't change a thing. You've got my vote.

posted by Jean_G on April 11, 2011 at 7:17pm
view Jean_G's profile

One of my favorite house tours and entries.

posted by RocketScientist on April 11, 2011 at 8:04pm
view RocketScientist's profile

I thought this looked familiar--and I love it--very well done!

posted by coffeesnob on April 11, 2011 at 9:48pm
view coffeesnob's profile

Stunning. Just stunning.

posted by kellykat0 on April 11, 2011 at 9:38pm
view kellykat0's profile

This place rocks. It seems like it would be hard to beat in the contest. Really sophisticated but welcoming at the same time. I wish every person who thinks they need a giant apartment (which wastes tons of energy to heat and cool) could see this place... I don't think most people would have a hard time imagining being happy here!
Congrats Paul! If you're not a designer I think you should be!

posted by BrooklynRob on April 11, 2011 at 10:46pm
view BrooklynRob's profile

It's drop dead beautiful

posted by IfUseeKaMY on April 11, 2011 at 11:52pm
view IfUseeKaMY's profile

O.M.G. This place is stunning! Paul, you simply must contact me. I would love to shoot your space for the cover of our magazine. Very Chic... VERY Chic.

posted by DanOslie on April 12, 2011 at 12:40am
view DanOslie's profile

Love it the second time around too

posted by see on April 12, 2011 at 12:44am
view see's profile

i adore what you did to your place paul! considering how small your space is, it is absolutely lovely!

posted by kath2503 on April 12, 2011 at 12:58am
view kath2503's profile

Fabulous

posted by deeb4 on April 12, 2011 at 11:59am
view deeb4's profile

Very Nice -

posted by prof2992 on April 12, 2011 at 12:24pm
view prof2992's profile

I love your style!

posted by rjshops on April 12, 2011 at 4:24pm
view rjshops's profile

Love the pinstripe couch!

posted by Tricia Z on April 12, 2011 at 10:00pm
view Tricia Z's profile

This home is sleek and sexy. I envision a Tom Ford-esque person lives here.

posted by Midwestdiva on April 12, 2011 at 10:35pm
view Midwestdiva's profile

where is the marble console table from?

posted by linztyler on April 13, 2011 at 1:58pm
view linztyler's profile

I liked this when you were the featured house tour. As in several comments above, it's not at all my personal style, but I still find it beautiful. You have a lovely home.

posted by Threadbndr on April 13, 2011 at 2:25pm
view Threadbndr's profile

Very well done!!

posted by Beacon on April 13, 2011 at 3:09pm
view Beacon's profile

Awesome, nothing quite like having a Gehry building to look at out your window, too....

posted by ZachEsq on April 13, 2011 at 3:31pm
view ZachEsq's profile

love everything about this one.

posted by lance reynald on April 13, 2011 at 3:43pm
view lance reynald's profile

Effective touches of red --- especially the two-tone column, very artful, and it draws the eye to the view outside that seems like an extension of the apartment's clean lines.

posted by Lilly3 on April 13, 2011 at 4:21pm
view Lilly3's profile

This is my favorite of all times...very classy!

posted by S.J.P. on April 13, 2011 at 7:22pm
view S.J.P.'s profile

This place is so delightful and inviting which i bet makes it feel much larger than it is! Loves it.

posted by Ac12345 on April 13, 2011 at 8:26pm
view Ac12345's profile

Very well thought out. Great use of space.

posted by Bgirl on April 13, 2011 at 9:01pm
view Bgirl's profile

A lot of it is too sterile and masculine for me personally but I like some of the touches, especially the umbrella picture over the bed--can you share the artist/source with us?

posted by Chante on April 14, 2011 at 12:02am
view Chante's profile

Love the decor. Beautiful apartment Paul.

posted by kpch3 on April 14, 2011 at 11:20am
view kpch3's profile

This is beautiful!

posted by Norikoses on April 14, 2011 at 12:43pm
view Norikoses's profile

The table in front of the kitchen is a thing of beauty. Really, really stunning.

posted by Terry3 on April 14, 2011 at 7:18pm
view Terry3's profile

The red accents are so great-- I wish you had more of them throughout the kitchen and bedroom! Did you paint the cabinets red or did they come like that? Either way, your space is GORGEOUS :)

posted by maechevrette on April 14, 2011 at 10:36pm
view maechevrette's profile

omg, Paul's in? Why would others contest (sorry =p)) Hee...this space is slick, hard for others to win. *honest words!!*

posted by JulianneMay on April 15, 2011 at 4:10am
view JulianneMay's profile

Hi Paul... Amy asked me to check out your studio. It is fabulous! It's very obvious great thought went lovingly into every decision you've made, and I absolutely love the color palette. Good work! Aunt Momo:)

posted by charmosabe on April 15, 2011 at 6:50am
view charmosabe's profile

Gorgeous....where is the bed/bedding from please!!

posted by prettyhandsomeproject on April 15, 2011 at 3:03pm
view prettyhandsomeproject's profile

Also, who makes the sofa?

posted by prettyhandsomeproject on April 15, 2011 at 3:18pm
view prettyhandsomeproject's profile

fantastic! just not sure where to put the bikes... ;^)

posted by pandaracer on April 15, 2011 at 11:59pm
view pandaracer's profile

Fantastic!!!

http://decorationapartment20.blogspot.com/

posted by ddelcura on April 16, 2011 at 11:45am
view ddelcura's profile

very nice. You were able to use what you have in terms of size, to make a very comfortable and pleasant apartment.

posted by A. DeRise on April 16, 2011 at 12:31pm
view A. DeRise's profile

The quality and style of everything in this apartment is something that you just don't see in "teeny-tiny" category. Very well done!

posted by blue adidas on April 16, 2011 at 7:05pm
view blue adidas's profile

Very nice.

posted by dillonliving on April 16, 2011 at 9:42pm
view dillonliving's profile

From one Paul to another--your apartment is gorgeous. There isn't anything I don't love: the dark floors, the taupe accent wall, the wood tones of the kitchen, the masculine palette of the furniture and bedding. Love it all!

posted by Paul from MN on April 17, 2011 at 12:39am
view Paul from MN's profile

LOVE IT!

posted by DB Modern on April 17, 2011 at 1:03pm
view DB Modern's profile

350 square feet!?!? Holy moly. It looks like everything has been thoughtfully done to create the most out of the space. Beautiful job!

posted by the copland on April 17, 2011 at 3:53pm
view the copland's profile

Very, very nice.

Just curious: why not figure out how to hide the bed to allow for a more versatile seating?
Guess I am old school, but I don't want guests lolling about on my bed, nor do I want to see someone's bed linens when I walk into an apartment. Too intimate for a stranger; not romantic enough for a love interest. Oh, well...

posted by aychihuahua on April 17, 2011 at 5:08pm
view aychihuahua's profile

Posted to add: my first grown up apartment many moons ago on the West Side of Manhattan was just 25 SF larger than this studio. No separate bedroom, of course, so I concealed my bed with freestanding etageres. Allowed for storage and still let light and air penetrate the sleeping area. Worked out great.

posted by aychihuahua on April 17, 2011 at 5:12pm
view aychihuahua's profile

There is something too perfect about this place.

posted by House Voyeur on April 17, 2011 at 9:47pm
view House Voyeur's profile

LOVE LOVE LOVE.

posted by mscopeland on April 18, 2011 at 11:59am
view mscopeland's profile

I really dig your pad. Can you tell me who your designer is?

posted by mscopeland on April 18, 2011 at 12:10pm
view mscopeland's profile

best teeny tiny space ever!

posted by reclaimedspaces on April 18, 2011 at 12:49pm
view reclaimedspaces's profile

This is great. Can you also tell us what the color of the grey paint is on the wall, in the photo where it's behind the mirror?

posted by tinybkheights on April 18, 2011 at 5:51pm
view tinybkheights's profile

Paul, you have my vote! The best use of space I've seen. My studio is the same proportion as yours, and seeing your apt has inspired me to not be scared to buy a desk, coffee table and little breakfast bar! I love the positioning of your DWR console with the mirror reflecting it back. Genious! Also, congrats on investing in quality. I love that every part of your apartment is maximized. Hope you win!! :)

posted by cafe au lait on April 18, 2011 at 7:47pm
view cafe au lait's profile

It's wonderfully elegant and modern. But a little too sterile and un-cozy for me. Nevertheless, a beautiful home.

posted by royalhighness789 on April 18, 2011 at 8:47pm
view royalhighness789's profile

hard to imagine this is only 350 feet! Well done, really perfect. I could absolutley live here if i didn't create art which is a space hog.

posted by artist girl on April 19, 2011 at 1:56pm
view artist girl's profile

This is the WINNER of the Teeny Tiny Division, Hands down!

posted by scandesign on April 22, 2011 at 4:50am
view scandesign's profile

"sleek" is definitely fitting! reminds of a luxurious hotel that i'd love to stay in

posted by aj510 on April 22, 2011 at 5:58am
view aj510's profile

i first commented half an hour ago upon first glance, and i can't stop looking at these pictures in admiration. it really is amazing how well put together this place is. it's so cohesive i didn't notice that there are actually a lot of nice textures and materials. you need to go pro

posted by aj510 on April 22, 2011 at 6:30am
view aj510's profile

One of my favorite entries. I love the use of real-sized furniture despite the physical dimensions of the space. It feels like you could take photos of hundred vignettes here and never know it was all one room.

posted by analogdialog on April 22, 2011 at 6:51pm
view analogdialog's profile

Pretty to look at, but a bit sterile. Looks like a designer showcase home...where is the personality?

posted by suzy8track on April 23, 2011 at 6:26pm
view suzy8track's profile

It reminds me of my own condo, right down to the finishes and colour scheme. I even have the same mirror. Your space is however, more refined. LOVE IT!

posted by m&mz on April 26, 2011 at 1:42pm
view m&mz's profile

I couldn't agree more with Reeses902

posted by WandaR on April 27, 2011 at 1:21pm
view WandaR's profile

This is my favorite teeny-tiny entry. It's very elegant, clean, and modern, yet it reflects the owner's unique personality. Great use of color and texture.

posted by kmrotterdam on April 27, 2011 at 8:39pm
view kmrotterdam's profile

the colors are not my fave, but i like how much you've managed to fit into the space. goodluck.

posted by dangab33 on April 28, 2011 at 2:35am
view dangab33's profile

Spectacular. Love the striped sheets.

posted by mommy2aron on April 30, 2011 at 9:58pm
view mommy2aron's profile

I love your space..I just do...nothing else to say =D

posted by wendym1 on May 2, 2011 at 1:32pm
view wendym1's profile

Maybe I don't understand how this contest works, but it seems baffling that this entry didn't even make it into the finals. This place is really gorgeous and so sophisticated.

posted by BrooklynRob on May 2, 2011 at 8:31pm
view BrooklynRob's profile

i agree that it's baffling how the winner of this division made it (over yours). your space is pretty much perfect, really. Makes me feel that downsizing, when the time comes, can truly work beautifully!

posted by artist girl on May 4, 2011 at 12:54pm
view artist girl's profile

I'm in complete shock that your entry did not make the finals! Your place is AMAZING! In my mind, you are the WINNER! When my time comes to downsize, your entry will be used as my guide on how it should be done! Thank You!

posted by nycbound on May 4, 2011 at 3:31pm
view nycbound's profile