- 8/26 — Submission Forms open.
- 9/3 — Selected entries will begin to be posted. Readers may respond by choosing their favorite entries. Readers may mark as many entries as they like as favorites during this period. Readers may mark each entry as a favorite only once.
- 9/16 — Submission form will close and no entries will be accepted after 18:00:00 EST.
- 9/27 — The initial round of selecting favorites will close at 12:00:00 (noon) EST. Reader favorite feedback on the National entries will be tallied and the 5 entries receiving the most favorite votes will be submitted to our Judges Panel for review. Each Judge will review the top 5 entries for each division and the entry which receives the highest Judges Panel score in each size division will be named the division finalist and will move on to the final reader vote where the grand prize winner will be determined. An International winner will also be determined at this time through the same Judges Panel process.
- 10/1 — The final round featuring the 4 division finalists will be open for voting.
- 10/2 — Voting in the final round will cease at at 15:00:00 EST and a Grand Prize Winner will be determined and announced.
- We're collecting entries from 8/26 through 9/16/2013. Submission forms will close and no entries will be accepted after 18:00:00 EST on 10/17. No late submissions will be accepted.
- Selected entries will be posted beginning 9/3. Readers may respond by choosing their favorite entries. Readers may mark as many entries as they like as favorites during this period. Readers may mark each entry as a favorite only once. This initial round of selecting favorites will conclude on 9/27 at 12:00:00 (noon) EST.
- The top 5 entries in each division (as determined by reader favorite votes) will be submitted to our Judges Panel for review. Each Judge will review the 5 top entries for each division and the entry which receives the highest Judges Panel score in each division will be named the division finalist. We will announce the 4 finalists (one from each National division) on June 4. An International winner will also be determined at this time through the same Judges Panel process.
- The top 4 division finalists will then compete in a final round to determine the National grand prize winner. Votes will be collected through 15:00:00 EST on 10/2.
- A National grand prize winner (the entry receiving the greatest number of votes during the final round) will be announced on 10/2.
- Read the U.S. Rules or the International Rules for more information.
- The 5 entry photos should feature a single, colorful room. The colorful room must be in a home lived in by the contest applicant—it can be any size and can be owned, rented or sublet. The room can be designed by a professional, weekend hobbyist or design enthusiast.
- Readers age 18 and up are invited to enter the contest and share their room. Due to legal limitations and shipping costs, only U.S. residents are eligible to win the National contest prizes. International readers are invited to submit entries for exhibition on the site but are not eligible to win the National contest prizes.
- Once submitted, no contest entry may be changed, altered or enhanced. Entry photos should not include people, watermarks or any overlaid text.
- One entry per household. Only one Apartment Therapy user account per person.
- Submissions for the 2013 Room for Color Contest will be accepted beginning 8/26. The deadline for submitting an entry form for the contest is 9/16.
- Submissions consist of a color palette and 5 photos of your room.
- Make sure you complete all the required fields on the contest entry form.
Each of the 4 division winners will receive a $1,000 gift card from Thrive Home Furnishings and a $200 gift card from Sherwin-Williams. The grand prize winner will also receive an additional $1,000 gift card from Thrive Home Furnishings.
The International favorite will receive a certificate of recognition and a collection of signed Apartment Therapy books
Frequently Asked Questions
When are submissions due for 2013 Room for Color Contest?
All entries are due by 9/16/13 by 18:00:00 EST.
When are entries posted on Apartment Therapy?
Selected entries will be posted beginning 9/3.
I received confirmation that you received my entry, why wasn’t my entry posted?
Our system does not automatically post entries as they are submitted. Our team selects the best entries to post. Not all submissions may be posted due to space limitations and it is up to Apartment Therapy to post the strongest submissions.
How are finalists/winners chosen?
National division finalists and the International favorite are chosen by the readers during the favoriting process and then a final vote will determine the National grand prize winner.
My home was previously featured on Apartment Therapy – am I still eligible to enter the 2013 Room for Color Contest?
Yes, readers previously shared their homes with the community are eligible.
Still have questions?
If you need help or have more questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- WARM: Rooms featuring a dominant warm color palette (reds, pinks, oranges, yellows, rust, magenta)
- COOL: Rooms featuring a dominant cool color palette (blues, greens, purples, silver, turquoise)
- LIGHT: Rooms featuring a dominant pale palette (whites, pastels, light grays, cream, taupe)
- DARK: Rooms featuring a dominant deep palette (blacks, charcoal, plum, navy, hunter, chocolate)
- INTERNATIONAL: All non-US entries
The Apartment Therapy editors will make the final determination of which division published entries are placed in.