- 9/24 — Submission Forms open.
- 10/1 — Selected entries will begin to be posted. Readers may respond by choosing their favorite entries. Readers may mark as many entries as they like as favorites during this period. Readers may mark each entry as a favorite only once.
- 10/17 — Submission form will close and no entries will be accepted after 23:59:59 EST.
- 10/29 — The initial round of selecting favorites will close at 12:00:00 (noon) EST. Reader favorite feedback on the entries will be tallied and the entry determined to be the top reader favorite in each division will move on to the final vote where the grand prize winner will be determined.
- 10/30 — The final round featuring the 4 division finalists will be open for voting and will continue through 15:00 EST on 10/31.
- 10/31 — Voting in the final round will cease at at 15:00:00 EST and a Grand Prize Winner will be determined and announced.
- We're collecting entries from 9/24 through 10/17/2012. Submission forms will close and no entries will be accepted after 23:59:59 EST on 10/17. No late submissions will be accepted.
- Selected entries will be posted beginning 10/1. Readers may respond by choosing their favorite entries. Readers may mark as many entries as they like as favorites during this period. Readers may mark each entry as a favorite only once. This initial round of selecting favorites will conclude on 10/29 at 12:00:00 (noon) EST.
- We will announce 4 division finalists (one from each National division) based on reader favorite feedback on 10/30. An International winner will also be determined at this time based on the reader favorite feedback.
- The top 4 division finalists will then compete in a final round to determine the National grand prize winner. Votes will be collected through 15:00:00 EST on 10/31.
- A National grand prize winner (the entry receiving the greatest number of votes during the final round) will be announced on 10/31.
- Read the U.S. Rules or the International Rules for more information.
- The 5 entry photos should feature a single, colorful room. The colorful room must be in a home lived in by the contest applicant—it can be any size and can be owned, rented or sublet. The room can be designed by a professional, weekend hobbyist or design enthusiast.
- Readers age 18 and up are invited to enter the contest and share their room. Due to legal limitations and shipping costs, only U.S. residents are eligible to win the National contest prizes. International readers are invited to submit entries for exhibition on the site but are not eligible to win the National contest prizes.
- Once submitted, no contest entry may be changed, altered or enhanced.
- One entry per household. Only one Apartment Therapy user account per person.
- Submissions for the 2012 Room for Color Contest will be accepted beginning 9/24. The deadline for submitting an entry form for the contest is 10/17.
- Submissions consist of a color palette and 5 photos of your room.
- Make sure you complete all the required fields on the contest entry form.
Each of the 4 division winners will receive a $1,000 gift card from Thrive Home Furnishings and a $200 gift card from Sherwin-Williams. The grand prize winner will additionally receive an additional $1,000 gift card from Thrive Home Furnishings.
The International favorite (determined during the initial favoriting phase by reader feedback) will receive a certificate of recognition and a collection of signed Apartment Therapy books
Frequently Asked Questions
When are submissions due for 2012 Room for Color Contest?
All entries are due by 10/17/12 by 23:59:59 EST.
When are entries posted on Apartment Therapy?
Selected entries will be posted beginning 10/1.
I received confirmation that you received my entry, why wasn’t my entry posted?
Our system does not automatically post entries as they are submitted. Our team selects the best entries to post. Not all submissions may be posted due to space limitations and it is up to Apartment Therapy to post the strongest submissions.
How are finalists/winners chosen?
National division finalists and the International favorite are chosen by the readers during the favoriting process and then a final vote will determine the National grand prize winner.
My home was previously featured on Apartment Therapy – am I still eligible to enter the 2012 Room for Color Contest?
Yes, readers previously shared their homes with the community are eligible.
Still have questions?
If you need help or have more questions, please email email@example.com
- WARM: Rooms featuring a dominant warm color palette (reds, pinks, oranges, yellows, rust, magenta)
- COOL: Rooms featuring a dominant cool color palette (blues, greens, purples, silver, turquoise)
- LIGHT: Rooms featuring a dominant pale palette (whites, pastels, light grays, cream, taupe)
- DARK: Rooms featuring a dominant deep palette (blacks, charcoal, plum, navy, hunter, chocolate)
- INTERNATIONAL: All non-US entries
The Apartment Therapy editors will make the final determination of which division published entries are placed in.