Name:

Jillian

Los Angeles, California

Division:

West

Colors Used

Lavender, Sea Foam Green, Black and White

Color Inspiration

My great grandfather had my apartment built in the 1920's, and his original color inspirations remain today... lavender toilet and all!

Color Tips

Loud, contrasting colors can be enhanced by basic black and white.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (23)

How wonderful that you're able to live in a building that your great grandfather built. This bathroom is gorgeous. Love the T-paper pyramid.

posted by millmack on November 15, 2011 at 9:07am
view millmack's profile

This is the BEST bathroom I've ever seen. The colors are amazing and I can't imagine how much thought went into the design and color scheme.

posted by Susie C on November 15, 2011 at 12:21pm
view Susie C's profile

all the awesome color is apparently original... not quite sure what you added in terms of color (which is, after all, the point of this contest) to make it special.

posted by barbieboy on November 15, 2011 at 1:46pm
view barbieboy's profile

I love the whole architecture of the place. What a great old space! Love it!

posted by Tracy333 on November 15, 2011 at 2:19pm
view Tracy333's profile

This reminds me of our own minty fresh bathroom. Though I can say I'm glad our tub is not lavender.
http://thenestinggame.com/2011/08/18/nest-tour-minty-fresh-bathroom/

The architectural details are fun in yours.

posted by The Nesting Game on November 15, 2011 at 3:53pm
view The Nesting Game's profile

This bathroom is unique! I love the colors. I had that bathtub and when I redid my bathroom, I made the mistake of getting rid of it. I regret it now. They don't make them like that anymore!

posted by Aurora T. on November 15, 2011 at 4:19pm
view Aurora T.'s profile

That sink! I'm soooo jealous!

posted by tuxedo on November 15, 2011 at 7:17pm
view tuxedo's profile

This is a fabulous space. The color scheme really provides an open, bright feeling that draws you into the room. Wonderful job accenting with black and white rather than trying to add too much noise to the already loud room.

posted by Iknowapartments on November 15, 2011 at 7:48pm
view Iknowapartments's profile

Love his color combination!! Cool guy! Love to see this style and architecture still surviving the awful 'renovations' of so many older and unique homes..yea for you!!

posted by keeks on November 15, 2011 at 7:57pm
view keeks's profile

How special you are now living here!

posted by HouseOfFiftyMag on November 15, 2011 at 8:06pm
view HouseOfFiftyMag's profile

WOW! That bathroom is to die for...as they say! And how cool that this is a building that your grandfather built! I would love to see the other bathrooms in the building (and the rest of the apartment building for that matter...). Very cool that it has been preserved.

posted by epindc on November 15, 2011 at 10:37pm
view epindc's profile

Very, very special bathroom. Would have loved to see the color palette enhanced via some of the art on the walls, at least. Sometime please post the rest of your apartment--I bet it's phenomenal.

posted by sally305 on November 15, 2011 at 11:15pm
view sally305's profile

Me likey. Thanks for sharing!!!

posted by potpie on November 15, 2011 at 11:46pm
view potpie's profile

Bless you for not tearing this out and replacing it with white subway tile.

posted by Beth -MPLS on November 16, 2011 at 9:13am
view Beth -MPLS's profile

Thanks so much for sharing; this was a real treat to see and it's wonderful you have that sense of connection to your home through your great-grandfather. I'm so glad this was never renovated!

I do agree that more could be done to enhance the space through decoration as the current bath mat and art don't do much to complement the design. Pale grey (or even pink) walls and a fluffy grey or lavender rug; plush co-ordinating towels, a shower curtain and some artwork would make this truly swoon worthy.

posted by dearmisha on November 16, 2011 at 11:57am
view dearmisha's profile

I'm not sure why people are concerned about the contestant's actually having done her own space. I've seen previous years fraught with entries done by professionals. Sort of the same, isn't it?

Anyway, this place has great bones, and a nice colour scheme. So few older apartments either don't have their original fittings, or the fittings just don't quite cut it. This gets my vote.

posted by k2yhe on November 16, 2011 at 12:46pm
view k2yhe's profile

The original tile-work is absolutely brilliant. The thing that's really off about this room is the (single) paint color on the walls and window trim. Its not at all consistent with the bathroom color schemes from the 20s--and doesn't do anything to compliment the absolutely brilliant tile-work (which I find absolutely ironic, considering this is a Room for Color contest).

Do some research, bring back the proper wall and wood-trim colors for this room (and it certainly isn't a monotone beigy-white).

posted by Chaucea on November 16, 2011 at 6:51pm
view Chaucea's profile

This room has - as they say - Great Bones. The tile and architectural details are so lovely.

posted by Jan in Oregon on November 16, 2011 at 7:36pm
view Jan in Oregon's profile

If I may chime in defense: I am an art school student, and thus at this moment I don't have the time or funds to add more to this room--but I don't disagree that in the future there is a lot that could be done! I entered the contest as a learning experience and as a first attempt at getting my awesomely inherited space some exposure. I hope to make things spectacular enough to have a home tour on this site soon! Thank you for all the support!

posted by Jillian Hensiek on November 16, 2011 at 8:41pm
view Jillian Hensiek's profile

Wow! This is awesome. You're lucky to be able to live in such a fantastic location. Soak up all that art and become the artist that you should have always been.

posted by Peggy R on November 17, 2011 at 10:29am
view Peggy R's profile

Wonderful, job!

posted by June and Joe on November 17, 2011 at 11:34am
view June and Joe's profile

Love that dresser! That's what I want to turn mine into :-D

posted by Judochop on November 17, 2011 at 12:49pm
view Judochop's profile

Simple but elegant and the black and white make the colored tiles pop!

posted by Deb upstairs on November 20, 2011 at 12:30pm
view Deb upstairs's profile