Name:

Alison

Minneapolis, Minnesota

Division:

North

Colors Used

Behr "Hallowed Hush" Behr "Anonymous" Behr "Ocean Pearl"

Color Inspiration

The tealy blue color in my living room was inspired by my love of grey. I needed something that would compliment all the grey tones found though out the main floor of the house. I also think this blue lends itself to a modern feel and pairs well with the mid-century furniture that we love.

Color Tips

Pick a color you adore and use it in your house whether it's the main wall color or found in accent pieces. You won't be unhappy when you choose a color that you love.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (68)

Congratulations! It's a lovely space!

posted by TurtleNYC on November 23, 2011 at 6:11pm
view TurtleNYC's profile

I too love MCM so even though you are in my same division, I have to give you a vote:) Good luck! The room looks great!

posted by LeAnn__ on November 11, 2011 at 10:57am
view LeAnn__'s profile

That blue is beautiful with your dark woodwork.

posted by bellsonhopi on November 11, 2011 at 12:57pm
view bellsonhopi's profile

This is a really clean, updated twist on what appears to be a bungalow interior. Such a friendly space!

posted by brooklynindiana on November 11, 2011 at 1:59pm
view brooklynindiana's profile

Beautifully done.

posted by fdixon on November 11, 2011 at 4:00pm
view fdixon's profile

I painted my kitchen cabinets in Hallowed Hush and it has become one of my fave 'go-to' colors. And I have that same Ikea rug! Nice room :-)

posted by Laura @ Design Share on November 11, 2011 at 5:08pm
view Laura @ Design Share's profile

The colors look wonderful with the beautiful woodwork.

posted by aaakid on November 11, 2011 at 7:36pm
view aaakid's profile

Lovely - I voted for you!

posted by TracyJ__ on November 11, 2011 at 7:45pm
view TracyJ__'s profile

I would have not thought of this color combination, but it works so well together.

posted by lydibug on November 11, 2011 at 8:06pm
view lydibug's profile

Alison, lovely room. I gotta know where you found that sconce- it's JUST what I've been looking for! Good luck and thanks for providing your source.

posted by breejasper on November 11, 2011 at 11:20pm
view breejasper's profile

i love, love, love hallowed hush. i have anonymous in my house and tried h.h., but wasn't sure. you've convinced me that this is the *perfect* color combination. your space is gorgeous!

posted by kaliosity on November 11, 2011 at 8:37pm
view kaliosity's profile

I love the color combination, the way it flows from your living room to your dining room. It makes the whole area look modern and classy. Thanks for showing!

posted by Tania @ chiquiita.blogspot.com on November 12, 2011 at 4:16am
view Tania @ chiquiita.blogspot.com's profile

That colour is so lovely that I had to vote for Alison!

posted by pearmelon on November 12, 2011 at 4:04am
view pearmelon's profile

HOUSE TOUR!! Absolute favorite so far!! I love the color combo and the dark wood trim. AMAZING!!

posted by HandmadeKatie on November 13, 2011 at 1:02am
view HandmadeKatie's profile

You did a great job with colour. The blue with the dark woodwork compliment is other. And the white framed artwork works well to break up the colour. Good for you.

posted by Lorna23 on November 12, 2011 at 11:24am
view Lorna23's profile

Beautiful simplicity, and you have lovely dark moulding like me! Kudos for not painting it!

posted by 11studio on November 12, 2011 at 12:40pm
view 11studio's profile

too dark for my taste,yet very nicely done

posted by Vicky from San Bruno,Ca on November 12, 2011 at 1:44pm
view Vicky from San Bruno,Ca's profile

Beautiful!

posted by cdeuhs on November 12, 2011 at 2:44pm
view cdeuhs's profile

Wow, the bones of your house are amazingly beautiful with that dark wood trim, staircase, built-in bench in the entryway, and cabinets in the dining room. I only regret that you decorated it with Danish Modern furniture. Although I appreciate your obvious love for simplicity, this is a case when that style is not suited to the house at all. It would look much nicer with contemporary but classic furniture in an arts and crafts/bungalow/prairie style, or something that reflects the history of Minneapolis architecture and compliments that dark wood. I like that you have a rug and curtains. It's cold there and those fabrics are necessary. Here is something on the history of Midwest architecture: http://www.craftsmanperspective.com/architecture/midwest.html

posted by gretchenE on November 12, 2011 at 4:28pm
view gretchenE's profile

I love the colors you chose ! I'm glad your house is a home instead of a perfect show house that follows all the regulations for a particular style. Love the furnishings and am glad to see you created a home that you liked, rather than have the style of house dictate to you what your home furnishings "should" be.
I agree with Brooklynindiana above, that this is an updated twist, clean and friendly. Perfect! You have my vote!

posted by kassgood on November 12, 2011 at 4:41pm
view kassgood's profile

Let me be more specific. I think you could get away with the couch and upholstered side chair, but I suggest you take out that rug, coffee table, and Danish plastic rocking chair, and buy a dark wood coffee table, an arts and crafts rug (Pottery Barn has a few great ones that are wool, and guaranteed against child labor), and a Mission chair. The dining room table is ok, but the lamp above it should be warmer looking and more of an arts and crafts style. Something like this: http://www.craftsmanhome.com/lighting/micalamp/107Mesa.html. Also, the wall color would complement the wood better if it was a warm earth, putty color. Here are great examples from the Roycroft Inn: http://www.roycroftinn.com.

posted by gretchenE on November 12, 2011 at 4:56pm
view gretchenE's profile

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for all the feedback! I love that there are so many "Hallowed Hush" fanatics out there. It's such a great color, I've used it in my last 2 apartments too.

breejasper: Just wanted to let you know I picked the sconce up last year at the home depot, it reasonably priced and looks great. I'd recommend it. Here's the link: Wall Sconce @ Home Depot

posted by deucecities on November 12, 2011 at 6:16pm
view deucecities's profile

@gretchenE - perhaps you missed the part that said the homeowner loves MCM furniture. She clearly did not intend to have an all Arts and Crafts home, and did a nice job blending the styles.

posted by ngnerd on November 12, 2011 at 6:43pm
view ngnerd's profile

I love your room ~ it's perfect as is.

posted by kassgood on November 12, 2011 at 7:08pm
view kassgood's profile

Hey everyone, thanks for the votes & the very nice compliments. It's really nice to hear such great feedback, I'm tickled.

Alison

posted by deucecities on November 13, 2011 at 4:25pm

please don't change anything in your house! it may be arts and crafts, but you've done an amazing job mixing styles. i have a similar challenge living in a tudor style home but loving MCM. i'm using your home as my inspiration.

posted by kaliosity on November 13, 2011 at 1:52pm
view kaliosity's profile

I've liked many of the entries so far, but this one is the absolute best. Such a friendly yet classy way to update the original look of the house while maintaining the history. I hope you win!

posted by montanagal on November 13, 2011 at 1:52pm
view montanagal's profile

Oh honestly, in the Midwest, the bungalow is the tract home of the early 20th century; it's not so precious. So if Alison doesn't want to fill it with Stickley furniture that's her prerogative. One of the nice things about MCM furniture is that it is small-scaled and usually affordable, so it works well in smaller rooms. When people do not mix styles, it tends to look like a renovator's showroom instead of a home.

I LOVE that you left the woodwork it's natural finish, Alison; that's why you get my vote! I have similar woodwork in my home, I'm always searching to see what others do with it, aside from painting it white. I've been slowly working my way around the rooms with Soygel each summer.

My daughter started college at U of Minnesota, and she's having a blast in your city. Go Gophers!

posted by wyyfe on November 13, 2011 at 5:15pm
view wyyfe's profile

Sometimes being over-opinionated is not beautiful either. This home is great and personalized and I hope it wins.

posted by jhonspops on November 14, 2011 at 10:20am
view jhonspops's profile

A house should be a reflection of the people who LIVE in it, and I can clearly see that yours is. It's beautiful. Love the way the wall color works with the rich wood tones. Well done!

posted by qzak78 on November 14, 2011 at 10:36am
view qzak78's profile

i knew immediately when looking at the first picture that this home was in minne. i want a home with bones like this. beautiful!

posted by sbart878 on November 14, 2011 at 11:44am
view sbart878's profile

This is a beautiful room. I love MCM in arts and crafts style homes, I think it works beautifully. Stickley furniture is lovely and all, but in my opinion too much of that sort of thing in this kind of home looks silly and museum-ish. Gretchen, you need to lighten up.

posted by modhabit on November 14, 2011 at 11:52am
view modhabit's profile

Is someone really so lucky as to live here? It's amazing!

posted by AnnieWhoCanFly_ on November 14, 2011 at 3:12pm
view AnnieWhoCanFly_'s profile

Yeah, Gretchen, lighten up. Does every bungalow have to be an arts and crafts diorama? This home is a great example of a comfortable space that has its own solid logic while avoiding cliches (a mica lamp? Really?). Older people don't really laugh behind the backs of "kids" who achieve something as nice as this. That's just Gretchen.

posted by Bee for Brian on November 14, 2011 at 2:46pm
view Bee for Brian's profile

cozy!

posted by mahzer&vee on November 14, 2011 at 4:50pm
view mahzer&vee's profile

I audibly went "Oooooo!" when I saw this entry. SO pretty!!!

posted by rexrayfan on November 14, 2011 at 7:43pm
view rexrayfan's profile

I tend to despise MCM, and this is on the verge of being sparse to me. However, on the subject of color, this definitely gets my vote. It's a beautiful room, if not exactly cozy. I think it could be more inviting with another comfortable-looking chair, maybe? Whatever, I still like it as is.

posted by Lizabethy on November 15, 2011 at 12:34pm
view Lizabethy's profile

Love the Orla Kiely wallpaper, and how you've managed to bring the 3 colours from it into the 2 adjacent rooms (teal walls in living room, off white paint in stairway, oatmeal curtains). Well done!

posted by britabroad on November 15, 2011 at 1:42pm
view britabroad's profile

Wow - lovely home. I'd also like to see a house tour. I'm not a fan of blue, either light or dark, but this house could make me like it afterall. It just works!! I love the fabric you've used for the front door - it really is perfect and ties the colors together.

posted by andrea s on November 15, 2011 at 4:01pm
view andrea s's profile

fantastic mix! you really sensitively brought out the best of your architecture and furniture without letting it dictate/go into some period hegemony. that's very hard to do but you've elegantly nailed it; kudos!

posted by campari on November 17, 2011 at 2:36pm
view campari's profile

Yours is the first house where I have even remotely liked MCM furniture. Everything is amazing; please don't change a thing. I can just imagine how cozy this is in winter; you have done a wonderful job of highlighting the beauty of old wood and bungalow style. I live in St. Paul, and I would love to congratulate you in person when you win!

posted by heirloom on November 17, 2011 at 3:54pm
view heirloom's profile

Wow,

Thanks for your support everyone. I am seriously flattered by all the votes, I had no hopes of doing so well. Thank you all so much!

Alison

posted by deucecities on November 17, 2011 at 3:58pm

I love the furnishings and accents, and that blue makes me so happy. You've got a fantastic eye. I hope you're enjoying your home!

posted by ranta on November 17, 2011 at 10:03pm
view ranta's profile

Just visited your old house tour and you really know how to make a house a home. Wonderful sense of style !

posted by kassgood on November 18, 2011 at 5:26pm
view kassgood's profile

love it!! favorited!

posted by emcc on November 18, 2011 at 7:18am
view emcc's profile

I think you had a house tour up too. I can't find it, but I'm dying to look at it again! Can anyone find the link???

Thanks!

posted by ChristieSue24 on November 18, 2011 at 9:15am
view ChristieSue24's profile

I love this color combination.

posted by RowRowRow on November 18, 2011 at 9:51am
view RowRowRow's profile

Yes, We had a house tour 2 years ago at our old rental house, we bought our new place in March 2010 an it's been a work in progress ever since. I'd always love to do a new house tour as I really enjoyed doing the first one.

Anyway, here's the link to the old house tour and a link to a nursery tour we had this spring for our new arrival, Gus.

Thanks again for voting and looking!

posted by deucecities on November 18, 2011 at 10:24am

Beautiful. I love the door curtain.

posted by suzannakins on November 18, 2011 at 5:28pm
view suzannakins's profile

The colors is awsome with woodwork.

posted by Bernice Alexandra on November 21, 2011 at 1:17pm
view Bernice Alexandra's profile

This is perfect....unexpected, personal, charming and stylish without resorting to design cliches. Hope you win!

posted by DesignFool on November 22, 2011 at 1:32pm
view DesignFool's profile

Best of luck! Such a beautiful space and warm mix of furniture.

posted by TurtleNYC on November 22, 2011 at 2:39pm
view TurtleNYC's profile

you totally inspired me to paint an accent wall in hallowed hush. i love it, thank you. it complements BM's smokey taupe perfectly. you have a beautiful home!

posted by thekinni on November 22, 2011 at 3:14pm
view thekinni's profile

I love that you chose to go dark rather than bright in Minnesota, and made such a calm, cozy space of it --- such a lovely complement, and such a lovely compliment, to your outdoors here! And such a fantastic reminder that 'colour' doesn't necessarily mean a bright, pop-sy 'box of crayons' interior. Whether you win the big one or not, congratulations and kudos on your lovely home.

posted by Rodosee on November 22, 2011 at 9:48pm
view Rodosee's profile

classy.

posted by House Voyeur on November 23, 2011 at 9:29am
view House Voyeur's profile

Congratulations! It's beautiful!

posted by Bernd on November 23, 2011 at 6:13pm
view Bernd's profile

Congratulations !! You created a Beautiful home.
I'm so happy that you and Turtlenyc made it to the finals. I liked both of your spaces so much.

posted by kassgood on November 23, 2011 at 6:39pm
view kassgood's profile

Thanks everyone, I never thought I would actually win, the completion was fierce. I am so excited. I really appreciate all the kind words, votes, and support.

Seriously, thank you!

posted by deucecities on November 23, 2011 at 7:14pm

Beautiful color combo! Where is the rug from?

posted by kprattphoto on November 23, 2011 at 8:06pm
view kprattphoto's profile

Well done! Yes, I would love to see a new House Tour too!

posted by nini9er on November 23, 2011 at 10:08pm
view nini9er's profile

yay minneapolis! my s. minn. home has the original wood trim and its so hard to play with colors - this is great inspiration.

posted by jled on November 23, 2011 at 10:54pm
view jled's profile

I work with interior designers from both the US and Morocco and one question I get a lot from my Moroccan associates is the following: "Why is it that northern people long to "cold" colors in the US? Aren't they suppose to miss the sun because of the long winters, and thus need to resort to warmer color choices." I do like this design, it is subtle and beautiful, but it definitely fits the "cold" description :-)
Tao Bellamine.

posted by Mycraftwork on November 24, 2011 at 12:41am
view Mycraftwork's profile

Love the color combination!

posted by James Elliott on November 24, 2011 at 9:59pm
view James Elliott's profile

The blue is beautiful, wood looks great, I want to live there. Pick Me!!!!!

posted by Virginia Bleier on November 26, 2011 at 12:05pm
view Virginia Bleier's profile

please please, i must know: where did you get that rug?

i adore everything about your spaces: the color, the furniture, the artwork. so well curated and edited.

posted by nomnivore on November 26, 2011 at 7:44pm
view nomnivore's profile

@the_asp:
Just wanted to let you know that I got the rug from Ikea but I'm not sure that they make it anymore, I couldn't find it on their website. It's called Jorun if that helps. Good luck!

Alison

posted by deucecities on November 28, 2011 at 4:12pm

I love this room. Where did you get your rug?

posted by KarenARM on January 9, 2012 at 7:07am
view KarenARM's profile

The rooms look amazing!

posted by constanza.florez1 on April 19, 2012 at 11:42am
view constanza.florez1's profile