Name:

Rachel

Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts

Division:

East

Colors Used

LIme Green, Pink, Black and Red

Color Inspiration

The existing window trim was wood so I wanted colors that would pop in contrast to that. Also I found that really cool flocked vintage wall paper at an estate sale and had to use it. I had envisioned a crushed velvet bean bag chair from the begining.

Color Tips

The lime green I originally picked was too dark. So I bought a much brighter lime green and used the darker one for the baseboard. I have many sample paints so I spend a lot of time mixing colors myself and making swatches on the walls. But I still never know till you do a big area. Then I know right away, if it's what I want or not.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (22)

Great mix of styles an colors. I find you very creative. Congratulations!

posted by Fratolo on November 15, 2011 at 9:26am
view Fratolo's profile

Those chairs! Where are they from?

posted by itsjustgoldie on November 15, 2011 at 12:03pm
view itsjustgoldie's profile

I am a fan 4ever of this fun livingroom, which does not feature a television!

posted by brianmason on November 15, 2011 at 12:31pm
view brianmason's profile

Are those...baby arms? In a shadowbox?

posted by Lizabethy on November 15, 2011 at 12:53pm
view Lizabethy's profile

The arms in the box are creepy... but other than that very pretty space.

posted by Dana J on November 15, 2011 at 12:54pm
view Dana J's profile

I love the palette and would love to see where the wallpapered wall (which I love, btw) is in relation to the rest of the photos. And the doll arms are awesome!

posted by The Happy Heathen on November 15, 2011 at 2:07pm
view The Happy Heathen's profile

Is that sofa a futon? As a fellow JP resident I have a typically narrow stairway (no sofas that cannot be disassembled need apply) and have been looking to replace my battered guest room futon frame for ages. I love the look of that.

posted by caitlinp on November 15, 2011 at 2:17pm
view caitlinp's profile

love the colors, some of the art work is a bit questionable for my taste, but to each their own

posted by ladesign on November 15, 2011 at 2:48pm
view ladesign's profile

Really cute and fun. Your bold color choices work.

posted by gretchenE on November 15, 2011 at 5:19pm
view gretchenE's profile

Your place is soft, almost earthy, but so comfortable, with the openness of an art gallery. I really like the way you've displayed your small doll collection! It's amazing that, against a flocked wall paper like that, my eye is drawn to the art, not the pattern behind it. Neato!

posted by Vincent B. on November 15, 2011 at 5:21pm
view Vincent B.'s profile

The doll arms are SICK!!

posted by SpiffySue on November 15, 2011 at 7:32pm
view SpiffySue's profile

love the colors!..and the shadowbox of tiny dolls. really cool chairs! also not thinking the shadowbox of the two doll arms look that great..I'm betting you'll find something cooler..! best hot pink color!

posted by keeks on November 15, 2011 at 7:48pm
view keeks's profile

Agree on the creepy baby arms...but I do really love the colors. Especially the wall. And I love the beaded curtains.

posted by SheYoshi on November 15, 2011 at 8:12pm
view SheYoshi's profile

What is the main wall color? Looks like a lovely, more humane version of my living room walls. Lime green/chartreuse shades are so tough! You're right - you never know until you get it on the wall. Nice work.

posted by jednakasia on November 16, 2011 at 3:04pm
view jednakasia's profile

That coffee table is amazing, and I love the yellow-green. But the dolls (and their disembodied arms) are freaking me right out.

posted by ranta on November 16, 2011 at 4:25pm
view ranta's profile

The first one I've commented on - love the doll bits and funky wallpaper!

posted by mlle p on November 17, 2011 at 3:18pm
view mlle p's profile

I can't say enough how impressed I am by the wall colour you've chosen for this room! I love all shades of green, but I've always been wary of green for a large room. This looks fantastic! I'm inspired!

posted by glitchgirl on November 18, 2011 at 1:56pm
view glitchgirl's profile

Love it all, including the doll arms, which look like an abstract hug. Be true to your vision!

posted by vintage birthday on November 20, 2011 at 8:23pm
view vintage birthday's profile

the dolls arms DO look like an abstract hug (good call, vintage birthday) The whole room is fun and clean and happy. You get my vote.

posted by kassgood on November 20, 2011 at 11:17pm
view kassgood's profile

Thanks for all your comments on my retro mod living room. i think it's funny that people freaked out over the baby arms, art and doll collection. I'm a professional artist and didn't want to hang any of my art in my house.... So I went with my funky collections. You should see the front yard!

posted by Rachel Paxton on November 23, 2011 at 12:56pm
view Rachel Paxton's profile

Arms, baby! I got a wonderful chuckle, which turned into a laugh after reading the visceral negative reactions. "A neo-post-modern commentary on the dissociative nature of the 1950's nuclear family ideal as viewed by the interior designer." There. All better now? Love it, Rach. See you at the beach. OUR beach!

posted by MoshupWhiteboutay on November 25, 2011 at 8:50am
view MoshupWhiteboutay's profile

Well maybe the dismembered baby doll aesthetic is an age thing. It seemed perfectly normal in the early 80's at Rhode Island School of Design to dismember baby dolls for any creative purpose...

posted by Rachel Paxton on November 27, 2011 at 12:29pm
view Rachel Paxton's profile