Trissta's "Vintage Print" Room

Vintage Print

Name:

Trissta

Logan, Utah

Division:

West

Colors Used

Light blue paint on wall, red floor cushions, shades of blue, brown, creme, and everything pretty much. I've been working on putting this room together for a long time, I've used so many different things to bring in color, from books to prints, to an old grandma chair and so many other things!

Color Inspiration

I bought this vintage print while I was in Italy this summer and the colors in it were amazing! I took the blues, reds, greens and gorgeous colors from the print and used them in my room.

Color Tips

Buy neutral bases and accessorize with color! That way, if you ever get tired of it, you can easily switch it out. If you do want to buy a large piece in a bold color, such as a couch, be sure that you can work with it in multiple color schemes. I'm a thrift shopper, so I always try to find new ways to play with colors of items without painting them.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (15)

This room is serene and lovely. Subtle colors like these may not wow people for this contest, but I think you've made a winning space for yourself.

posted by bellsonhopi on November 8, 2011 at 11:50am
view bellsonhopi's profile

The chair at the piano--what's the story? I love it.

posted by mjs7640 on November 8, 2011 at 1:43pm
view mjs7640's profile

This is a nice room...with just a little more work I think it could be fantastic.

posted by e53 on November 8, 2011 at 1:49pm
view e53's profile

I like the floor cushions a lot. Some of the other pieces (like the floor lamp) don't seem to 'go' as much. But very nice! It looks like a comfy, gracious space.

posted by LorienQ on November 8, 2011 at 2:06pm
view LorienQ's profile

Thank you so much for your encouraging comments! Just a little background-- I'm a 1st year grad student in my first place... this is pretty much my trial run of decorating a space with little to no budget. Everything you see here is second hand, found at thrift stores, gifted, or found and refurbished. It definitely has a way to go, but I definitely appreciate your comments and suggestions!! :) Learning by trial and error. All suggestions are sooo appreciated!

posted by trisstal on November 8, 2011 at 2:18pm
view trisstal's profile

Oh, and mjs7640--- that chair at the piano was a thrift store find that I reupholstered and painted. I fell in love with the form of it and really wanted to display it against the dark of the piano so the back would stand out. Thanks for asking!!

posted by trisstal on November 8, 2011 at 2:20pm
view trisstal's profile

My favorite things about this room: the wall colour, and the chair in front of the piano. The floor lamp and the "grandma" chair, particularly in that pattern I'm not too fond of, but overall I enjoy the serene atmosphere that the paint colour lends the room, and it has alot of potential.

posted by Amanda M on November 8, 2011 at 3:10pm
view Amanda M's profile

I am in love with your sofa.

posted by Stephanie Kimberly on November 8, 2011 at 3:23pm
view Stephanie Kimberly's profile

That chair in front of the piano is gorgeous!

posted by andrealew on November 9, 2011 at 7:26am
view andrealew's profile

Calming. And that chair-- elegant is not the word.

posted by austere on November 9, 2011 at 7:58am
view austere's profile

I love it. Recycling at it's highest form for sure. It is very inspiring what you have created and such a beautiful space to live in.

posted by TammieKim on November 9, 2011 at 11:38am
view TammieKim's profile

i was just going to say the exact same thing as andrealew !

posted by pizzapi on November 9, 2011 at 1:43pm
view pizzapi's profile

the piano is amazing!!

posted by JodieAnn on November 13, 2011 at 11:37pm
view JodieAnn's profile

I love that you're a grad student living in such a lovely apartment. Good luck with your studies and your future career.

posted by mjs7640 on November 16, 2011 at 8:59am
view mjs7640's profile

I find this room so inspiring and calming. The prints you chose and layout of artwork on the wall really create a sense of individuality. And, you did it on a budget! Wow.

posted by KT Sars on November 20, 2011 at 12:38pm
view KT Sars's profile