Name:

Jeannia

New Haven, Connecticut

Division:

East

Colors Used

Orange, Brown, Blue

Color Inspiration

We wanted a color that would brighten the small room but also have a cheerful, warmer tone that would complement our wood furniture and retain its 'warmth' in the daytime, the nighttime and under any kind of lighting. Because we have a lot of furniture for a small room and a lot of very colorful items from our travels (and because we can be messy), instead of choosing a lighter color, which places more emphasis on what fills the room and might have made it seem cluttered and too multi-colored, we wanted a powerful color that would frame the walls and hold them as the focal point, in a way, absorbing our decorations and furniture into the deeper tone.

Color Tips

If you're not planning to buy all new furniture and decor, think about what you already have to decorate your room with and pick a color that would complement how you would arrange those things. Consider whether you want these items to stand in contrast to the room color and therefore be very noticeable, or whether you want them to blend more into the background. Some colors look great in the nighttime under lamplight but look harsher or grittier in the daytime, so also consider how the color of your room would change from day to night. Most importantly, make your room livable to yourself. Know your habits well and picture what your room would look like on average day (i.e. not picture day) and think about what would make you love living in it day in and day out.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (13)

this room reminds me of that scene in 'love actually' when emma thompson's character is looking for a word to describe her daughter's performance as 'first lobster' in the school nativity play and she plumps for... "orange!"

way to go for what you love and i think that shade of orange is awesome!

:0)

posted by shel(l) on November 15, 2011 at 8:56am
view shel(l)'s profile

Very handsome room, one you'd walk into and be interested in looking around, but at the same time, it's pleasant and calm. i like your tips also.

posted by kassgood on November 15, 2011 at 9:20am
view kassgood's profile

It's a gorgeous, rich orange and your wood and masks look fantastic with it!

posted by Rinkadink on November 15, 2011 at 10:32am
view Rinkadink's profile

creepy...

posted by barbieboy on November 15, 2011 at 1:42pm
view barbieboy's profile

Besides the scary looking display of mask the room is very nice. :)

posted by Tracy333 on November 15, 2011 at 2:26pm
view Tracy333's profile

Very good tips. Love the orange color on the walls.

posted by sajoy on November 15, 2011 at 3:38pm
view sajoy's profile

I voted for this room even though I don't care for masks on walls. It's still a fantastic room..

posted by kassgood on November 15, 2011 at 5:34pm
view kassgood's profile

This rooms fills me with joy...after a long wander, there's nothing like nestling up inside a warm tangerine

posted by PoppyFrejas on November 15, 2011 at 8:22pm
view PoppyFrejas's profile

i adore the color, the masks, everything.... this is SO representative of the occupants, and each one of those animals was lovingly smuggled back to New Haven.

posted by juliafox on November 15, 2011 at 9:54pm
view juliafox's profile

Fantastic spice room. a lot of energy, good work!

posted by myriam*** on November 16, 2011 at 3:46am
view myriam***'s profile

This room has an amazing "cabin" feel with the dark wood and the bone but also seems very home-like. The orange makes everything look rustic and warm. Never seen it so clean!

posted by Graeme on November 16, 2011 at 6:51pm
view Graeme's profile

Seriously, me neither!

posted by Jeannia on November 19, 2011 at 1:30pm
view Jeannia's profile

This my fave so far, what a relief to find some decidedly 'not gray' walls! lovely warm color, really like your furniture and the scary mask collection is awesome! Feels like an interesting person lives here, one who i'd like to know.

posted by Zsuzzani on January 16, 2012 at 3:10pm
view Zsuzzani's profile