Valery & Tony's "Moon Base Alpha" Room

Moon Base Alpha

Name:

Valery and Tony

Decatur, Georgia

Division:

South

Colors Used

We originally chose white, red and black for this room, but a few other colors have subsequently crept into the mix.

Color Inspiration

We're huge fans of space age furniture from the 60s and 70s, and live in a mid-century modern home, so we opted to keep it simple with period pieces and small pops of color.

Color Tips

Make sure your color choice promotes the specific atmosphere you want created in that room. Always make sure to consider how your furniture and decor will be complemented by the color.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (47)

Fantastic! Sadly most people here will hate it as it's not mainstream enough.

posted by AnastasiaBeaverhausen on November 11, 2011 at 8:09pm
view AnastasiaBeaverhausen's profile

What a great place for a party!

posted by jendavid1000 on November 11, 2011 at 9:51am
view jendavid1000's profile

It's definitely not something I could live with every day, but this is so fun to look at! I love it. Especially that stove in the corner.

posted by Anna Lisa on November 11, 2011 at 10:21am
view Anna Lisa's profile

Love it! Although it may not be for me, I can see why you love the style and pieces. What a fun space.

posted by Kendall from NOVA on November 11, 2011 at 10:42am
view Kendall from NOVA's profile

Agreed with the cluttery comments. They need to edit and remove some things - particularly the small stuff that is just lined up along the wall, like the speakers. The items are all very cool and the house is gorgeous. It's very close to a fantastic space, just way too many small items. Perhaps a good bookcase could serve as a place to consolidate some of the things that are now just scattered uniformly around the room? The dining chairs appear to need a bigger table, too.

On the other hand, I love seeing a space where it's obvious that the owners have had a lot of fun bringing it all together.

posted by fisheggs on November 11, 2011 at 10:42am
view fisheggs's profile

Can't believe there are negative comments about this entry. I love love love it. It's got style and energy and humour and looks like a great place to hang out rather than a chair museum (as sometimes happens with AT featured spaces).

Maybe this is a "marmite" entry (as in you either love it or you hate it) but I love it!

posted by TeaTowelDame from TheDasherie.com on November 11, 2011 at 11:02am
view TeaTowelDame from TheDasherie.com's profile

That TV is awesome!

posted by ngnerd on November 11, 2011 at 11:06am
view ngnerd's profile

It's a little themey for my taste - but I love that you are living your dream! And a shout out to Decatur, GA!

posted by potpie on November 11, 2011 at 11:11am
view potpie's profile

Wow

posted by aaakid on November 11, 2011 at 11:55am
view aaakid's profile

Amazing! Love it!

posted by mhaefele on November 11, 2011 at 12:01pm
view mhaefele's profile

I absolutely adore this.

posted by thehoopiestfrood on November 11, 2011 at 12:45pm
view thehoopiestfrood's profile

Love it! Although it's a little more SHADO moonbase than moonbase Alpha ;)

posted by alphabear on November 11, 2011 at 1:04pm
view alphabear's profile

I think it's over the top with the white chairs. Too much white in the space, your eye doesn't get a chance to rest. It's like a cartoon, although very colorful.

posted by gb on November 11, 2011 at 1:30pm
view gb's profile

Totally groovy man! Love it. Could live there in a heartbeat, but that's my generation.

posted by Terry Clark on November 11, 2011 at 1:34pm
view Terry Clark's profile

GO BIG OR GO HOME! LOVE IT!

posted by her_royal_gr8ness on November 11, 2011 at 2:00pm
view her_royal_gr8ness's profile

"so we opted to keep it simple with period pieces and small pops of color.…"

Wow, if that is keeping it simple, I can't imagine what going all out would look like!

posted by monteig on November 11, 2011 at 2:02pm
view monteig's profile

Too much. A few pieces here and there would have been great, but this is Austin Powers overkill with less psychedelic colors.

posted by HelloMoe on November 11, 2011 at 2:16pm
view HelloMoe's profile

My first thought..Mork and Mindy..second thought..it looks a little like a showroom. Like the vibrant colors though.

posted by Tracy333 on November 11, 2011 at 2:22pm
view Tracy333's profile

love the decor! anyone know where I can buy the plant pot that is in front of the couch? It's beautiful!!

posted by olgali on November 11, 2011 at 2:23pm
view olgali's profile

I love the furniture, but I would remove the 2 chairs in the middle to open up the space it looks to crowded maybe move some of it to other rooms in your home, it's like someone who wears a ring on each finger, rather letting one shine.

posted by dries on November 11, 2011 at 5:09pm
view dries's profile

nice idea, great pieces, way too matchy matchy and one track to appeal to anyone but die hard fans which you clearly are. Needs a bit of editing but when you love a style I can understand wanting as much of the vintage pieces as possible.

posted by Indigosailor on November 11, 2011 at 5:28pm
view Indigosailor's profile

How many of those space chairs have you fit in one room? This must be a record!!

posted by noticetothepublic on November 11, 2011 at 11:28pm
view noticetothepublic's profile

Though this style is not for me & the comfort is a little questionable since it seems spaceship like, but I have to admit that it takes some whimsical imagination to create a home like this! You can tell there is a happy person behind this design lol :)

posted by Dana J on November 12, 2011 at 1:43am
view Dana J's profile

This looks like a set from Clockwork Orange- and I mean that in a really good way! What an amazing, gorgeous room.

posted by Esmeralda1 on November 12, 2011 at 9:25am
view Esmeralda1's profile

Thank you all for your comments--we appreciate them, both the compliments and the criticisms!

For those who appreciate the clutter, we're responsible for the following blog:

http://gonkedglookedslurped.blogspot.com

Enjoy!

Best,
Valery and Tony

posted by valery on November 12, 2011 at 12:17pm
view valery's profile

I am soooo of two minds on this one. As others have already noted, it's a very impressive collection of pieces, but there are so many that none can find the space to shine on its own.

As to the freestanding fireplace ...

It's a great piece. I happen to have one much like it myself. But it's obviously not functional (the flue pipe doesn't even reach the ceiling) and there's already a fireplace in that room. Are you using it as a candleholder, maybe?

posted by Glinda Goodwitch on November 12, 2011 at 1:49pm
view Glinda Goodwitch's profile

All I want to know is: When can I move in?

posted by mslejean on November 12, 2011 at 1:54pm
view mslejean's profile

Now this is BOLD. Made me smile. You get my vote.

posted by bejeweled on November 12, 2011 at 2:15pm
view bejeweled's profile

wow!I would love to have this place for a weekend. could not live in it everyday, i love the colors specially that red stove or fire place in the corner.

posted by Vicky from San Bruno,Ca on November 12, 2011 at 2:29pm
view Vicky from San Bruno,Ca's profile

Yes, yes and yes.

posted by Kate (NC) on November 12, 2011 at 5:22pm
view Kate (NC)'s profile

I like that you really 'went for it' with the style. All of the colours work great together, too. I think it's too much like a movie set, or too much of the same sort of thing. But if that's what you like, I think you did a great job of putting it all together!

posted by JasmineIsDomestic on November 12, 2011 at 8:01pm
view JasmineIsDomestic's profile

These two are serious collectors of mid century mod.. this isn't just a interior design decision, it is a massive accumulation of hard to find housewares and furniture it has likely taken years to procure.

posted by notreally on November 12, 2011 at 10:48pm
view notreally's profile

I sure they took a long time to collect all those great pieces and I tip my hat to them. But this arrangement and level of saturation is just wrong. A lesser man might even say that it shows lack of taste. But I'm not such a man.

posted by dvdzstudio on November 13, 2011 at 7:24am
view dvdzstudio's profile

I LOVE mid-century modern - but this is a theme park disaster!

posted by Lindsey WD on November 13, 2011 at 1:15pm
view Lindsey WD's profile

i want to attend a party here !

posted by pizzapi on November 13, 2011 at 3:36pm
view pizzapi's profile

@Lindsey WD (and all the other design conformists)

As I observed on another post, this competition should be retitled "Vintage Mirror on the Wall, Who's the Most Conventionally Mid-Century Modern of Us All?"

Only a small minority on this site can seem to accept stimuli that go beyond an Eames chair, a cowhide rug, a coyly placed IKEA sheepskin, or a set of oh-so-original antlers on a white wall. While this room may have (delightfully) "robotic" tendencies, it looks like the Apartment Therapy members are the REAL ROBOTS.

posted by joseph23 on November 13, 2011 at 7:57pm
view joseph23's profile

^ What Joseph said.

posted by tonia329 on November 13, 2011 at 9:04pm
view tonia329's profile

Oh my gosh! YES! I love that people have their OWN taste. This room looks really fun. The furniture is wild. I love it! Thank you for posting and sharing with us.

posted by Wildsong on November 13, 2011 at 9:48pm
view Wildsong's profile

While it isn't my own style, its certainly stylish and fun! While I wouldn't want to live there, I would love to be friends with the owners and hang out there with them or spend a week-end. So all in all, well done.

posted by fulinlin on November 14, 2011 at 6:28am
view fulinlin's profile

I do not like it.

posted by blooie on November 14, 2011 at 9:48am
view blooie's profile

While not everyone is a minimalist, some of us are maximalists and like to collect and display objects as art. This room is a fantastic example of a stylish and unusual way to highlight each and every piece while keeping the space as a whole coherent. It's not an aesthetic (or lifestyle) for everyone, but in a time when less is considered more...it is interesting to see a home where there is always room for more! I like this room and it's deliberate form. It could be a veritable time capsule of cool!

posted by i.heart.everything on November 14, 2011 at 11:05am
view i.heart.everything's profile

@joseph23 I couldn't have said it better myself. I have the same thought every day when scrolling through apartment therapy.

posted by alphabear on November 14, 2011 at 12:03pm
view alphabear's profile

made me smile, and vote for them.

posted by bostontom on November 14, 2011 at 1:53pm
view bostontom's profile

Love it! This room is totally groovy!

posted by suzy8track on November 14, 2011 at 1:54pm
view suzy8track's profile

Haters gonna hate, but I love it!

posted by Petro B. Pettson on November 15, 2011 at 1:59pm
view Petro B. Pettson's profile

I like that it's different. After all, a house should be a real reflection of the personality its owners. Thankfully, we're not all greige.

posted by Jenny A. on November 19, 2011 at 8:36am
view Jenny A.'s profile

How groovy! I love it when people are confident enough to decorate how they really want to and not to please everybody else. Personally, I love this. Lively and fun. Kudos!

posted by dicey1 on November 20, 2011 at 9:17pm
view dicey1's profile