Brenda's "Dark Neutrals" Room

Dark Neutrals

Name:

Brenda

Duluth, Minnesota

Division:

North

Colors Used

Different shades of black ranging from an almost black chocolate to charcoal and jet black. Gray, white, and natural wood with a surprise pop of orange in the entry.

Color Inspiration

Light and shadow are my inspiration. I have drawn since a child and what always stood out to me was the way the light reflected off of, or was absorbed by the subject matter. The contrast and light play I get in every corner of the room at any given time during the day amazes me, making it surprisingly peaceful and relaxing.

Color Tips

Never be afraid of making a dark color the predominate feature. It surprises me how many people are so willing to go color crazy without any type of direction but squirm when they hear that someone has painted their walls black or any other dark color. Thinking that dark walls make a space look smaller is situational and completely depends on how the rest of the room is finished. But that goes for general decorating in every other color range as well, if you think about it. Our small living dinning room combo was painted in a pale yellow when we moved in and it felt like we were sitting in a tiny, dirty white box. After deciding to take the plunge into the opposite end of the spectrum, it feels incredibly large. Adding natural elements and different textures softens spaces as well.Take risks especially with wall color, it may surprise you. After all, it is only paint and very easily changed if it doesn't turn out as hoped for.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (15)

That's it; I'm painting my apartment black.

This room is stunning. I want a full house tour.

posted by Muffy St John on November 10, 2011 at 2:39pm
view Muffy St John's profile

I love your "Rambo" lampshades!

posted by TeaTowelDame from TheDasherie.com on November 10, 2011 at 9:13am
view TeaTowelDame from TheDasherie.com's profile

Well done! Moody and seductive. Looks so comfortable and enveloping!

posted by Rosella on November 10, 2011 at 9:16am
view Rosella's profile

Great atmosphere.

posted by Sacha on November 10, 2011 at 10:54am
view Sacha's profile

Love this--so imaginative and rich and texturally varied. Love the quilt or whatever the large fabric wall hanging is.

posted by bellsonhopi on November 10, 2011 at 11:17am
view bellsonhopi's profile

Soft and restful, but with lots of interesting details. Very enjoyable.

posted by Shari Resler on November 10, 2011 at 12:41pm
view Shari Resler's profile

Thanks to everyone who Favs my room and all the kind comments! And thank you Apartment Therapy for the love. The "Rambo" comment is priceless and made me laugh out loud. Thank you for that!

It was a blast taking a big risk most wouldn't. Especially when 99% of the decor and furniture was at one time, all someone else's "trash" and I had to figure out how to make it all work together. If you'd like to see what the room looked like before or see more pics, please come visit me, I'd love to have ya!

http://bsquaredconundrum.blogspot.com/2011/11/apartment-therapy-worthy.html

posted by Bsquared on November 10, 2011 at 2:06pm
view Bsquared's profile

I love this...favorite so far! Not into dark palette usually but this is amazing.

posted by Holhum on November 10, 2011 at 2:17pm
view Holhum's profile

very well done!

posted by kassgood on November 10, 2011 at 2:56pm
view kassgood's profile

It hurts my pride that people in Duluth are cooler than I am. What a great place! My favorite color entry so far.

And yes, full house tour, please!

posted by Lisa (Montreal) on November 10, 2011 at 5:41pm
view Lisa (Montreal)'s profile

cool and moody

posted by andreainmaine on November 10, 2011 at 7:03pm
view andreainmaine's profile

This is my favorite room so far... beautiful!

posted by CharmingFinch on November 10, 2011 at 9:06pm
view CharmingFinch's profile

This is the first entry which really caught my attention and the only one from which I grabbed photos for my inspiration file. Not just color slapped on the walls, but actual use of the color and thoughtful design throughout the room. Rich and moody - nicely done!

posted by fundaddio on November 11, 2011 at 12:28pm
view fundaddio's profile

Nice - what really makes the dark walls work is the generous use of mirrors, white accents and crystal lighting. You are very talented.

posted by Beautyeverywhere on November 12, 2011 at 8:32am
view Beautyeverywhere's profile

Love it! I think strong colors are a great choice for Duluth! Cozy and inviting is perfect for those long white winters!!!

posted by PamelaCrow on November 15, 2011 at 10:25am
view PamelaCrow's profile