Cali's "Warm and Cozy" Room

Warm and Cozy

Name:

Cali

Houston, Texas

Division:

South

Colors Used

The paint color is Benjamin Moore's Shenandoah Taupe. Depending on the time of day it looks grey or brown. The room has a north facing window so it gets a fair amount of light all day long that really affects the color depending on the time of day. The other colors are from the art and pillows and are hopefully balanced by the white bed.

Color Inspiration

I painted the room about a year ago in the fall and wanted something warm and cozy for the season and this pretty much fit the bill. I was afraid I would want a change come springtime, something light and airy, but I found I really love the darker color for the bedroom.

Color Tips

This was my first foray into color since I normally veer toward neutral (by which I really mean white) but I took the plunge and don't regret it. I figured I could always repaint if I didn't like it. So I think you should just take some chances...sometimes they will work out and sometimes they won't. But I do think that color should also me tempered by large doses of neutral.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (16)

I love everything in this room. So far, this is my favorite.

posted by millmack on November 8, 2011 at 8:48am
view millmack's profile

The highlight of this room is definitely the brass bed and small framed painting above it. I'd try to find a fabulous old rug to cover some of the beige carpet and add one more layer of interest to the room.

posted by LSUgrad03 on November 8, 2011 at 8:52am
view LSUgrad03's profile

Beautiful and nice job on taking a risk! Even though this is richer and darker than what you are used to, I would still definitely call your paint color (taupe=warm gray) neutral...fabulous!

posted by emilylauderback on November 8, 2011 at 8:54am
view emilylauderback's profile

Sweet & cozy. Love the bed & linens.

posted by britabroad on November 8, 2011 at 9:31am
view britabroad's profile

I think the throw, the pillows, and the artwork add just the right touches of color to this cozy, well put-together room.

posted by bellsonhopi on November 8, 2011 at 10:34am
view bellsonhopi's profile

I've been debating painting my bedroom a similar color, from white. You've just sold me. This room has exactly the mood I'm hoping for. Beautiful!

posted by jewelsP on November 8, 2011 at 1:59pm
view jewelsP's profile

LOVE this. So restful!

posted by Lisa (Montreal) on November 8, 2011 at 4:10pm
view Lisa (Montreal)'s profile

My favorite by far. So welcoming, cozy and inviting. What a great refuge at the end of the day!

posted by princessavi on November 8, 2011 at 5:16pm
view princessavi's profile

This is my first comment on any of the Room for Color entrants. Though this isn't my personal style (I'm a modernist through and through), I really love the vintage-y (yet, not dated) vibe this room gives off. The decor and use of color doesn't feel forced. Distressed or antiqued hardwood floors, though, would look amazing in this room.

posted by david @ justveggingout.co on November 8, 2011 at 9:11pm
view david @ justveggingout.co's profile

Lovely..just lovely room.

posted by prachana on November 9, 2011 at 2:04pm
view prachana's profile

Fantatic bed!

posted by jendavid1000 on November 9, 2011 at 4:40pm
view jendavid1000's profile

What a restful and serene room.

posted by junklover on November 9, 2011 at 5:53pm
view junklover's profile

Hi all. I just wanted to drop in and thank everyone for the kind comments. I was a bit nervous submitting my room and I really appreciate the warm reception. Yall are great. Thanks. Cali

posted by cilic.14 on November 9, 2011 at 8:23pm
view cilic.14's profile

My favorite entry I've seen thus far -- great job! Very tranquil room with thoughtfully chosen furnishings, colors and decorative accents. And, as others have mentioned, love that little painting above the bed! Is it an antique or a family heirloom?

posted by s_boston on November 13, 2011 at 10:59am
view s_boston's profile

The brass bed is beautiful and I love what you've done to the place! I used a similar color--taupe when we painted the outside of our home and noticed how the light pulls out hints of color--the underlying grey, brown and even green. I see a subtle hint of green in the pic with the mirror. Your artwork and pillows are lovely layering choices too. So pretty, warm and serene.

posted by GardenMuse on November 13, 2011 at 12:19pm
view GardenMuse's profile

Hi again. The painting was actually a fairly recent purchase from the artist (within the past year). But the frame I paired it with was found at an antique mall a few months before that. I believe the frame is antique and has the most incredible detail in the carvings. It really is stunning on its own, but together I think they make a quite a good match! Thank you for noticing.

Most of the art was found in various thrift/consignment/antique stores and was later paired with their frames, also purchased second hand.

I just found this painting a few days ago for the formerly blank wall opposite the bed:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68066224@N03/6341131496/

She looks a bit small for the space but I hope to eventually find her the perfect frame that will give her a bit more presence. It just might take some time. But I guess it is all about the thrill of the hunt. Until then, I quite enjoy spending my mornings with her (and yes, I realize I am talking about a painting).

Thank you again for all of your nice comments.
Cali

posted by cilic.14 on November 13, 2011 at 1:12pm
view cilic.14's profile