Name:

Turtle

Astoria, New York

Division:

East

Colors Used

Wrought Iron—Martha Stewart Solar Fusion—Behr White

Color Inspiration

The paintings (by my friend, painter Joseph Stabilito) and the walnut George Nelson coffee table inspired my color choices. I wanted bold colors with a vintage feel to tie together the wild mix of colors in the painting over the couch and the eclectic patterns elsewhere. The palette also allows the white laminates of the coffee table and other pieces to pop.

Color Tips

Don't be afraid to go bold—with paint, patterns, textures, and accessories. Before we painted this room, it was the off-white color the landlord chose. It just felt like a room full of colorful stuff, but it feels more cohesive now.

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (57)

hello from Astoria...... love your apt.. Good Luck with the contest, hope you win.

posted by New York Muhtari on November 8, 2011 at 11:39am
view New York Muhtari's profile

Exactly where I would want to sit with my tie unknotted after a day of work. Scotch in hand. Plotting.

posted by Tyrus on November 8, 2011 at 11:07am
view Tyrus's profile

That is a good bold hue in blue! It does blend with all the other colors! PS love the interiors

posted by emilies on November 11, 2011 at 5:58am
view emilies's profile

Wow--this is stunning. Love how you make modern look warm and cozy. The artwork is incredible.

posted by bellsonhopi on November 8, 2011 at 10:57am
view bellsonhopi's profile

I want to live in this room NOW! What an incredibly inviting space, a perfect balance that somehow both soothes and invigorates. A truly distinctive achievement!

posted by EDecker on November 8, 2011 at 11:13am
view EDecker's profile

This is a really great room!

posted by LeAnn__ on November 8, 2011 at 11:44am
view LeAnn__'s profile

I love the color palette, the mix of textures and statement pieces! <3

posted by Cbarnwell on November 8, 2011 at 12:22pm
view Cbarnwell's profile

I love this color combination, and the touches of orange are so original. stunning room!

posted by mmemalkin on November 8, 2011 at 12:58pm
view mmemalkin's profile

I love your apartment, and I'm jealous that your landlord allowed you to paint.

Could I ask where you found the modular shelves/drawers from the first picture?

posted by La Femme Nicole on November 8, 2011 at 1:41pm
view La Femme Nicole's profile

Hi-
Your apartment looks very cool, and of course I totally admire your choice of colors. It makes the painting really sing, and I'm glad you weren't afraid to go dark!

posted by Joseph Stabilito on November 8, 2011 at 2:01pm
view Joseph Stabilito's profile

Thanks for your comments!

Nicole: That is a Case Study cabinet—a reproduction Eames cabinet by Modernica. A lot of Eames purists frown on Modernica's reproductions, but I've always had a soft spot for them since I first wandered into their (now closed) store in SoHo. Modernica seems to be thriving and expanding their factory in LA. Modernica.net

I got this particular cabinet from ebay—a guy in Brooklyn was moving to California. There's always awesome stuff on Craigslist and ebay.

Joseph: Everyone loves the painting. How could we not? Thank you!

posted by TurtleNYC on November 8, 2011 at 2:26pm
view TurtleNYC's profile

Wow, this is beautiful! I want to come visit and just browse around. You are genius to put so much color in one place and have it look so inviting. Your family must want you to decorate all their rooms. I Do!

posted by Debbie Garrett on November 8, 2011 at 2:32pm
view Debbie Garrett's profile

Great design sense a nice place to come home to.

posted by dries on November 8, 2011 at 3:14pm
view dries's profile

It makes me want to mix myself a martini or manhattan when I get home from work. Love it!

posted by Jdublya on November 8, 2011 at 3:55pm
view Jdublya's profile

Stunning, pure joy & so much warmth ... I feel the need to thank you for your hospitality! Your selections & placement are genius! Your beautiful floors, molding & lighting make these deep colors sing! I adore the artwork over the sofa & in the corner by the white/chrome rolling tiered table. Consider yourself favorited & pinned (Pinterest)!

posted by lifeabundant on November 8, 2011 at 5:18pm
view lifeabundant's profile

I love the George Mulhauser chair! great furniture is like steroids for a room.

posted by KyleNorman on November 9, 2011 at 4:03am
view KyleNorman's profile

OMG! Is that my Lalique vase on your mod bookcase? I've been looking high and low for that thing. Aunt Yetta left it for me in her will. Anyhow, maybe you should keep it. It luminosity is in keeping with the warmth of this handsome room.

posted by Miscegenated on November 9, 2011 at 4:05pm
view Miscegenated's profile

You have created a truly inviting environment. I am amazed at all of the details that you chose to contribute to your apartment. This takes talent and a keen eye for removing ugliness. I think it is the best design in all of the competition.

posted by wendyweinstein on November 10, 2011 at 10:25am
view wendyweinstein's profile

The colors are so rich & lovely; I want to live here!

posted by barroninthetrees on November 10, 2011 at 2:43pm
view barroninthetrees's profile

ooooh la la... gorgeous! This room provokes some really good sensations. You must be an artist of some kind. Congrats!!

posted by sajoy on November 10, 2011 at 5:20pm
view sajoy's profile

The color in here is great-- comfortable and modern. I wish this were my apartment!

posted by karrieg on November 11, 2011 at 12:32am
view karrieg's profile

Love your bold colour choice - well done!

posted by CalliD on November 11, 2011 at 9:51pm
view CalliD's profile

AMAZING!!! Love your style Turtle.

posted by JorgeA on November 12, 2011 at 10:37am
view JorgeA's profile

You're hired to decorate my place! Wow!

posted by sarahd9599 on November 12, 2011 at 10:38am
view sarahd9599's profile

Beautiful apartment!! Love the color combination!

posted by Ellencuc on November 12, 2011 at 10:44am
view Ellencuc's profile

Oh my goodness, what a beautiful space! I need to know where that globe is from! Love the colors on it.

posted by AmandaAVS on November 12, 2011 at 2:35pm
view AmandaAVS's profile

This gorgeous! Turtle, come to do my apartment!

posted by joymasters on November 12, 2011 at 5:15pm
view joymasters's profile

I like how everything "clicks" with everything else in the room. Bold wonderful colors, a definite feel of kick your shoes off and relax, eccentric bits, fabulous artwork. If this room was a person, I'd want to be friends forever.

posted by kassgood on November 13, 2011 at 11:07am
view kassgood's profile

Gorgeous

posted by vaov on November 13, 2011 at 10:08am
view vaov's profile

By far my favorite entry so far. I hope you win!

posted by Vanessa Love on November 13, 2011 at 2:24pm
view Vanessa Love's profile

I'm gay for your leather and wood swivel. Nice work!

posted by Shealystein on November 13, 2011 at 7:18pm
view Shealystein's profile

Thanks! (I think.) It's a fab piece. :)

posted by TurtleNYC on November 13, 2011 at 7:43pm
view TurtleNYC's profile

I love your apartment. The colar scheme is so warm & inviting. Great job!

posted by Marilyn McGuire on November 14, 2011 at 12:51pm
view Marilyn McGuire's profile

I love the paint job. I need to come and relax and have a drink with you really soon!

posted by mary from ubns on November 14, 2011 at 4:58pm
view mary from ubns's profile

SUPER!

posted by mahzer&vee on November 14, 2011 at 5:01pm
view mahzer&vee's profile

anyone else wondering how this room so suddenly jumped way ahead of all the others?

posted by barbieboy on November 15, 2011 at 1:40pm
view barbieboy's profile

I've promoted it on my Facebook page and told my friends about it, which is presumably what other people are doing. I certainly don't want anyone to break the rules.

posted by TurtleNYC on November 15, 2011 at 1:47pm
view TurtleNYC's profile

You know everyone is doing the same thing--don't worry about it for two seconds. Your place is jumping ahead because it rocks!

posted by bellsonhopi on November 17, 2011 at 11:10pm
view bellsonhopi's profile

Great color choices! I particuarly like the orange items in the room as accents. They add nice interest & character!
Wishing you a brightly colored day!

posted by mary nolte on November 18, 2011 at 10:13am
view mary nolte's profile

This is a stunning room all around.
What color is "Rodchenko Blue" and/or who makes it? I found a Benjamin Moore "Wrought Iron" but that is definitely a dark gray, not blue.

posted by Joyful Spaces on November 19, 2011 at 10:55pm
view Joyful Spaces's profile

Howdy! It's actually Martha Stewart Wrought Iron. I had to name the palette something and it reminded me of Aleksandr Rodchenko's "End Of Painting" canvases of primary colors. Rodchenko's blue is midnight...practically black. His yellow is dingy, mustard-like. (His red is brick- or blood-colored; I opted for brighter reds and oranges instead.) I saw the paintings at MoMA years ago and they stuck with me. Thanks for writing! The contest has been a lot of fun to follow and be a part of.

posted by TurtleNYC on November 20, 2011 at 12:32am
view TurtleNYC's profile

Me encanta esta Oda al Mid-Century! Eames+Nelson = PERFECTION!

posted by makmartinez on November 20, 2011 at 4:14pm
view makmartinez's profile

Get the cornbread ready! This just makes me want to grab a throw, curl up and write a letter. It is a thought provoking space, in a calm way.
But at my first glance, all I kept hearing was the BEACH BOYS!? (our version of "Cocomo") Happy Thoughts! Good luck! Love, Newakis

posted by Shamu Burkybile on November 22, 2011 at 10:28am
view Shamu Burkybile's profile

Love your space and colors! Your nephew loves a minimalist look but leans more toward a "hoarder" style! He needs help!
Great job!
Stu

posted by Stuart Thompson on November 22, 2011 at 10:50am
view Stuart Thompson's profile

Thanks, guys!

posted by TurtleNYC on November 22, 2011 at 1:58pm
view TurtleNYC's profile

Love that dark blue wall color! Entire room was very nicely done! Wishing you the best luck!

posted by E.I.F. on November 22, 2011 at 2:14pm
view E.I.F.'s profile

Thanks, EIF. It has been a lot of fun being involved in this and I wish the other competitors the best.

posted by TurtleNYC on November 22, 2011 at 4:21pm
view TurtleNYC's profile

Stunning. Just the thumbnail upon voting blows the other rooms away. It's cozy, modern, casual and refined. Love love love it!

posted by iPenny on November 22, 2011 at 9:48pm
view iPenny's profile

Looks like big art is the way to go. I am glad you didn't shy away from a dark room as it is stunning. It makes a big impact.

posted by House Voyeur on November 23, 2011 at 9:22am
view House Voyeur's profile

I cannot understand why this room is not winning. Seems obvious to me. I didn't even have to think about it. It is a beautiful room with wonderful colour.

posted by GeorgiaMete on November 23, 2011 at 11:05am
view GeorgiaMete's profile

Aww, thanks guys! It may not be everyone's taste, but I'm very proud of it and put a lot of thought into it. I'm a graphic designer and I wanted to do something bold and hopefully a little different with midcentury furniture.

posted by TurtleNYC on November 23, 2011 at 11:27am
view TurtleNYC's profile

Turtle, You made it to the finals --I ended up voting for you and my husband voted for Alison. it was hard to decide since both were fabulous.

posted by kassgood on November 23, 2011 at 6:41pm
view kassgood's profile

Thanks so much, Kass! I'm happy to have been a finalist and I love Alison's winning room. I like that there were all kinds of rooms that appealed to different sensibilities—please don't read my previous statement as a negative. I'm thrilled with this experience! And it looks like Alison has a thing for Eames chairs, too. They'll look great in her home.

posted by TurtleNYC on November 23, 2011 at 7:39pm
view TurtleNYC's profile

Oh no, I didn't feel any negativity. House tour tho, I want to see your kitchen etc...and more vignettes.

posted by kassgood on November 26, 2011 at 10:40am
view kassgood's profile

Look confortable that space, i want that,.: *)

posted by Juds on November 26, 2011 at 4:58pm
view Juds's profile

Turtle, I painted my living room dark blue . thank you for the inspiration. It looks great/

posted by kassgood on January 5, 2012 at 5:53pm
view kassgood's profile

That's awesome! I hope you're happy with it. Drop a line when you've posted photos. Good hearing from you!

posted by TurtleNYC on January 7, 2012 at 2:30am
view TurtleNYC's profile