Name:

Cory

Chicago, Illinois

Division:

North

Colors Used

Orange, Gray, Black

Color Inspiration

We just got an adorable Orange Tabby kitten and wanted to do something bold in our kitchen!

Color Tips

Don't be afraid to use color in the form of patterns, like stripes or chevron!

favorites
Favoriting and voting have ended.

Comments (38)

Nice! But where is the kitten???

posted by Cassis on November 4, 2011 at 1:04pm
view Cassis's profile

Nicely curated. Love the stripes with the grey!

posted by her_royal_gr8ness on November 4, 2011 at 2:01pm
view her_royal_gr8ness's profile

Cute! My favorite simple little touches? The green bottles in the window and the framed spoons. Nice!

posted by Laura @ Design Share on November 4, 2011 at 11:41am
view Laura @ Design Share's profile

The striped wall is amazing, especially with the white/black stove as well as the green accents in the bottles. You really brought something special to the space. I'm totally enamored.

posted by joseph23 on November 4, 2011 at 9:25am
view joseph23's profile

I am in love with the orange striped wall, of course it doesn't hurt that I love orange. Great job!

posted by LeAnn__ on November 4, 2011 at 10:20am
view LeAnn__'s profile

I love your place! Beautiful, and it looks like real people live in it. Bold choices!

posted by Appy on November 4, 2011 at 12:49pm
view Appy's profile

So you painted your kitchen to match your cat? That's adorable. :)

posted by alahoop on November 4, 2011 at 1:50pm
view alahoop's profile

I normally hate stripe walls...but I'm pleasantly surprised by this one. Love the tabby cat inspiration.

posted by rexrayfan on November 4, 2011 at 2:30pm
view rexrayfan's profile

Totally charming and well done.

posted by bellsonhopi on November 4, 2011 at 2:42pm
view bellsonhopi's profile

Adorable!

posted by SherriEakin on November 4, 2011 at 2:48pm
view SherriEakin's profile

I love it, but... show me the kitten!

posted by KristinaKS on November 4, 2011 at 3:03pm
view KristinaKS's profile

Fresh and lively. You have a deft touch -- it's not overdone or cluttered. (Thank you for having dishes -- clean of course -- in your dish drainer.) Love the framed spoons. Did you make it? I'd love the directions.
Last request: bring on the kitten!

posted by peggybelle on November 4, 2011 at 9:02pm
view peggybelle's profile

awesome. :)

posted by cass.han_ins on November 4, 2011 at 9:23pm
view cass.han_ins's profile

I love your kitchen. maybe put one black stripe on the frig somewhere, it looks a little naked.

posted by ome on November 4, 2011 at 11:14pm
view ome's profile

My wife and I got this apartment in the Bucktown neighborhood of Chicago back in April and have managed to make it into a home that suits our modern-eclectic style. We have literally painted every room in the place, cleaned as much as humanly possible, and made a few cheap improvements along the way.

This summer I decided to surprise Kristine with a kitten as her wedding present from me! As I mentioned, he was ultimately the inspiration for the orange stripes in this room.

Thanks to everyone for adding our kitchen to your favorites and for offering such kind words as well! I should have definitely included our kitten, Rafa, in some of the photos, but he was running around the whole time I was shooting. For those interested, here's a photo of the little guy:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42999171@N05/6314094186/in/photostream

Best Wishes!

Cory

posted by CT Hankins on November 4, 2011 at 11:35pm
view CT Hankins's profile

The best part is the how your fab walls gently make the eye glide right over the completely ordinary cabinets and fake wood laminate and ooh and aah.

posted by cynzano on November 4, 2011 at 11:40pm
view cynzano's profile

Yeah, believe me, if we could get rid of those cabinets, we would! We're wrestling with the possibility of painting them...

As for the spoons, I sewed them onto a foamcore backing covered with burlap using some simple thread. Add the frame, and Bam!

posted by CT Hankins on November 5, 2011 at 12:29am

I generally can't stand orange, but this is great!

posted by Offtza on November 5, 2011 at 11:15am
view Offtza's profile

Over the top. Got my vote.

posted by kelleyk on November 5, 2011 at 1:35pm
view kelleyk's profile

What I like best is that this is clearly a cheap fix--in the sense that you didn't hire a designer and replace the entire kitchen. You made the dated cabinets fade right away. Really, really clever. No excuses for me now ;)

posted by kelleyk on November 5, 2011 at 1:36pm
view kelleyk's profile

You did a great job with your room, it's very cheery! The orange stripes add a lot!

If you do paint the cabinets in the future, may I suggest white cabinets with dark grey doors. OR for my own cabinets (which I painted white) I painted the inside backings a different color and also removed all the doors off the top cabinets. Obviously, cannot have clutter of any kind, but it makes my small kitchen look a bit more open and airy.

Ohh! and also love the spoons!

posted by erin @ dfmi designs on November 5, 2011 at 2:55pm
view erin @ dfmi designs's profile

Hey neighbor! This is really inspiring, since I pretty much know exactly how this would have looked before...since that's what my kitchen looks like. You did an amazing job!

posted by abylost on November 6, 2011 at 1:04pm
view abylost's profile

Amazing work, friends!

posted by lindenandlola on November 6, 2011 at 1:10pm
view lindenandlola's profile

I love this room SO much because it shows how simply a can or two of paint can transform a room. I agree with cynzano... I've had counters I had to "live with" and the stripes are a great distraction.
Cheers to your tabby.

posted by rcpatten on November 10, 2011 at 1:26am
view rcpatten's profile

Cory- love the orange!

Where's your dining set from? I need something like that for my tiny apartment!

posted by sunsetlane on November 10, 2011 at 1:48pm
view sunsetlane's profile

We picked that lovely little table and chairs up from none other than IKEA. The best part is the table has two leaves that extend from either side so it actually doubles in size. Perfect for tiny little kitchens like yours and ours!

posted by CT Hankins on November 10, 2011 at 2:32pm

I am so impressed with how you made the faux butcher-block laminate and generic wood cabinets almost melt away with the bold orange stripes! My cats (white, black, white-and-grey, and orange) all approve the color scheme too!

posted by catsofcolor on November 10, 2011 at 9:20pm
view catsofcolor's profile

Cory, I love your Kitchen!! I love the orange and grey, great job!

posted by Rosie E on November 11, 2011 at 4:19pm
view Rosie E's profile

I too love the stripes and I'm impressed with the orange paint you chose - the hue is perfect!

posted by CalliD on November 11, 2011 at 9:57pm
view CalliD's profile

Super Fun! Love it! Good job Cory! I want to see the kitty :)

posted by Missy Valderrama on November 12, 2011 at 12:59pm
view Missy Valderrama's profile

Fantastic use of bold color and patterning! Thanks for sharing your cute kitchen with the rest of us readers. I will definitely be using it as inspiration for my modest little place!

posted by MillerT on November 12, 2011 at 7:41pm
view MillerT's profile

Good job!!!!!!!!!!

posted by Sam Glick on November 12, 2011 at 8:05pm
view Sam Glick's profile

Fantastic job transforming such a small space into such a beautiful one! Love it.

posted by JenAkron on November 14, 2011 at 6:12pm
view JenAkron's profile

I have officially decided to try my hand at painting stripes in my bathroom!

posted by LoveDoveSarah on November 14, 2011 at 6:20pm
view LoveDoveSarah's profile

I voted this because it does cleverly transform what was probably a very plain rental kitchen. It looks fantastic but not outside of the realm of what a normal human renter could accomplish with a little creativity and motivation.

posted by EmmyL on November 16, 2011 at 9:42am
view EmmyL's profile

Love the use orange and stripes. Orange is on of the best colors 'fro a kitchen. The white stripe makes it pop while giving the eye a place to rest. Love it!

posted by MsBeasley on November 17, 2011 at 11:31pm
view MsBeasley's profile

fantastic space. cute details. lively & very very stylish. this is the kitchen holly golightly should have had, once she named the cat.

posted by kassgood on November 18, 2011 at 3:46pm
view kassgood's profile

house tour with cat please...

posted by kassgood on November 18, 2011 at 3:47pm
view kassgood's profile